• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:02
CEST 19:02
KST 02:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4 Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9201 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 278

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 276 277 278 279 280 900 Next
AustinCM
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada275 Posts
July 20 2011 05:18 GMT
#5541
is 15 hatch actually more solid than speedling expand? I feel that I want to go speedling expand and always be able to come out even, but i have heard that 15 hatch is superior?

Also what is the best way to open in ZvP that is standard but also leaves a 21 drone roachling timing viable? I poke with 2 initial lings to look for signs of a fe but im sometimes saving larvae.
"Somewhere, Something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan
BioTech
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia264 Posts
July 20 2011 06:26 GMT
#5542
is there a quicker way to turn off a rally point on your, say, rax?

currently I select the rax and then press Y then click on the rax.
I actually played the original WarCraft - Orcs v Humans back in 1995!
TheRealzz
Profile Joined November 2010
150 Posts
July 20 2011 06:28 GMT
#5543
Hi Zerg here some quick questions :

Rally points
- Should I rally to my units to main army and monitor that so that if my unit is killed it doesn't reset? Or should I set one outside base and grab add to group from here?

Hatch / Pool builds
I have been trying a 13 hatch in-base 15 pool not to great. Maybe im doing it wrong, anyways which is a very standard and fast gas openning ? 15p/14gas ? or 14p/14gas ?

What I'm asking is which is the safest build I can open with everytime any match up as sometimes I am lazy and dun feel like hatching first, I use 15p/14gas currently

Thank you for the help and sorry about my Engerish.


One-base play is aggression ?
KimJongChill
Profile Joined January 2011
United States6429 Posts
July 20 2011 06:33 GMT
#5544
Is the best way to deal with early game stargate pressure, like 2 voids and some phoenix, a bunch of queens and spores, or do I really need hydras. How much does going hydras hurt, and is it still sensible to go an infestor tech path when being pressured by stargate?
MMA: U realise MMA: Most of my army EgIdra: fuck off MMA: Killed my orbital MMA: LOL MMA: just saying MMA: u werent loss
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 20 2011 06:37 GMT
#5545
On July 20 2011 14:18 AustinCM wrote:
is 15 hatch actually more solid than speedling expand? I feel that I want to go speedling expand and always be able to come out even, but i have heard that 15 hatch is superior?

Also what is the best way to open in ZvP that is standard but also leaves a 21 drone roachling timing viable? I poke with 2 initial lings to look for signs of a fe but im sometimes saving larvae.

In any scenario that you can get away with hatch-first you are in superior shape, in other words, if:
ZvP: You fail to scout an opponent's canon rush or 2 rage proxy.
ZvZ: Your opponent does a 10 pool, or earlier.
In these scenarios you lose. I am of the belief that a 2rax is easier to hold with hatch-first rather than pool or gas first because of faster creep spread and additional larva, though I'm not sure about a proxy 2rax.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
July 20 2011 06:38 GMT
#5546
In TvT I've been doing: rax->reactor-> 2nd rax off a standard 16 OC with gas opening, pulling my guys off the single gas at 50 and saving for a cc while constantly producing off the two rax. Are their any reps of a pro doing something similar, I don't really follow any of the leagues. Thanks!
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 20 2011 06:46 GMT
#5547
On July 20 2011 15:33 KimJongChill wrote:
Is the best way to deal with early game stargate pressure, like 2 voids and some phoenix, a bunch of queens and spores, or do I really need hydras. How much does going hydras hurt, and is it still sensible to go an infestor tech path when being pressured by stargate?

I personally prefer a roach/bane mid-game, so I'll just deflect the void ray with queens and spores and simply drop my opponent to death without even going for mobile anti-air (think mondragon). This is kinda gimmicky and fragile though. Other solutions are the sen style spire response, where you get enough corruptors out to deal with phoenixes, then overwhelm with mutalisks. Or the more standard response of getting queens/spores to defend, and as little hydras as possible so you can roach pressure while still being able to deal with the void, you would need drop for this, however, because strait pushing with slow, slow hydras is a bad idea in most cases. I think as long as you can somehow redeem the hydralisk investment by counter dropping with them then it isn't too much of a big deal (I don't even get hydra range as I don't think it is worth 150/150 when I'll only have around 8 hydras). Infestors are also a wonky solution but it certainty works. If you can fungal your opponent's void in a place where it will die then you'll be safe from air pressure, as the 1-2 void rays is part of the opening and protosses would much rather spend gas on other tech units. At this point you will be going for a midgame of either morrow style ling/baneling/infestor, or more traditional roach/infestor.

Dealing with these kind of openers is very stylistic. You basically want to deal with it in a way that presents you your mid-game composition, rather than having a total shift of gears when the pressure is deflected. This is why hydras went out of style in dealing with this pressure, but you can still make it work.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 20 2011 06:52 GMT
#5548
On July 20 2011 15:28 TheRealzz wrote:
Hi Zerg here some quick questions :

Rally points
- Should I rally to my units to main army and monitor that so that if my unit is killed it doesn't reset? Or should I set one outside base and grab add to group from here?

Hatch / Pool builds
I have been trying a 13 hatch in-base 15 pool not to great. Maybe im doing it wrong, anyways which is a very standard and fast gas openning ? 15p/14gas ? or 14p/14gas ?

What I'm asking is which is the safest build I can open with everytime any match up as sometimes I am lazy and dun feel like hatching first, I use 15p/14gas currently

Thank you for the help and sorry about my Engerish.



1) I simply rally near where I'm attacking with a quick 5 click (5 being my all hatch hotkey). Also, while I'm producing units I like to hotkey them into their future control groups while their still eggs. For example, I'll hit 5 s hold down f, ctrl+click the eggs then shift+3, 5 s hold down r, ctrl+click the eggs then shift+2, 5 s hold down z, ctrl+click the eggs, then shift+1. This puts my re-enforcing lings into 1, roaches into 2, and infestors into 3 as soon as they will pop out.

14g/14p/15h is the standard speedling expand opening.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 20 2011 06:53 GMT
#5549
On July 20 2011 15:26 BioTech wrote:
is there a quicker way to turn off a rally point on your, say, rax?

currently I select the rax and then press Y then click on the rax.

You can just select the rax then right click it, which sets the rally point to the rax, disabling it.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
PigglyWinks
Profile Joined May 2011
364 Posts
July 20 2011 10:01 GMT
#5550
Just started playing, newb question: on the 2v2 maps used in the (current) 1v1 ladder pool, can the opponent spawn at any of the remaining three positions on every map? Or are there some maps where they can only spawn at any of the two positions on the other "side" (that would be the opposing team's side in a 2v2)?
Tryxtira
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden572 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-20 12:07:44
July 20 2011 12:07 GMT
#5551
On July 20 2011 19:01 PigglyWinks wrote:
Just started playing, newb question: on the 2v2 maps used in the (current) 1v1 ladder pool, can the opponent spawn at any of the remaining three positions on every map? Or are there some maps where they can only spawn at any of the two positions on the other "side" (that would be the opposing team's side in a 2v2)?


Currently on the ladder the opponent can spawn at any of the three locations. This has been hugely criticized by the community due to the obvious imbalances that certain positions lead to. In the Pro Leagues, the maps (Metalopolis for example) are changed so that close positions never happens.
opisska
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Poland8852 Posts
July 20 2011 12:34 GMT
#5552
On July 20 2011 21:07 Tryxtira wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 20 2011 19:01 PigglyWinks wrote:
Just started playing, newb question: on the 2v2 maps used in the (current) 1v1 ladder pool, can the opponent spawn at any of the remaining three positions on every map? Or are there some maps where they can only spawn at any of the two positions on the other "side" (that would be the opposing team's side in a 2v2)?


Currently on the ladder the opponent can spawn at any of the three locations. This has been hugely criticized by the community due to the obvious imbalances that certain positions lead to. In the Pro Leagues, the maps (Metalopolis for example) are changed so that close positions never happens.


This not entirely true, because there is one exception: on Shakuras, vertical spawns are disabled even on ladder.
"Jeez, that's far from ideal." - Serral, the king of mild trashtalk
TL+ Member
Rannasha
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Netherlands2398 Posts
July 20 2011 12:43 GMT
#5553
On July 20 2011 15:28 TheRealzz wrote:
Hi Zerg here some quick questions :

Rally points
- Should I rally to my units to main army and monitor that so that if my unit is killed it doesn't reset? Or should I set one outside base and grab add to group from here?



You can shift-queue rally commands. So you can shift-rally your hatches to several of the units in your army, increasing the chances of the rally coming through if some of your army dies.

Alternatively, you can rally to some staging point and then shift-rally to your army. If the rally to your army fails due to death of the rallied units, the units will instead go to the staging point and stay there.
Such flammable little insects!
Semtext
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany287 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-20 13:55:08
July 20 2011 13:53 GMT
#5554
On July 13 2011 22:34 Blazinghand wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2011 20:00 FlaminGinjaNinja wrote:
On July 13 2011 15:28 alphafuzard wrote:
On July 13 2011 14:19 ZeroTalent wrote:
On July 12 2011 06:52 Galbwe wrote:
Is it possible to friendly fire with fungal growth?


I have the general form of this question, which is, which units' splash damage has friendly fire, and which do not? I know tanks have it; so do Storm, EMP and Nuke, and Fungal doesn't; but I'm not sure about colossi, ultras, hellions, banelings, Thor air attack, archons, and raven HSM. I was shocked to see replays where the hellion flame went over friendly units and appeared to cause no damage...

colossi - no
ultras - no
hellions - no
banelings - no
thor air attack - i dont think so
archons - i dont think so
raven hsm - yes


Tanks - yes
EMP - yes
Storm - yes
Fungal - no
Nuke - yes (obviously)

Also thors don't do friendly air splash

And to be clear; archons certainly do not friendly fire, either.


and why is that so? why does the most nasty aoe spell in the game not firendly fire?

(i am saying most nasty because you can run away from storms and cause them to backfiore if your opponent chases after too eager- and to early, which simply cannot happen with fungal.

and yes, i do know a bout force field/storm combo and its nasty, but for the love of god, you at least need two different sorts of gas-heavy and fragile units to pull it off, while zerg just fungals away from 9 range...


User was warned for this post
http://de.twitch.tv/semtext | FBH, Socke, WhiteRa, GoOdy, TLO
McPricE
Profile Joined May 2010
58 Posts
July 20 2011 14:15 GMT
#5555
Say when playing standardish Marine/Tank which is the better upgrade after finishing +1 attack, +1 armor or +2 attack? This is considering that we would have an armory naturally in our build before +1 attack finishes.
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
July 20 2011 14:25 GMT
#5556
On July 20 2011 23:15 McPricE wrote:
Say when playing standardish Marine/Tank which is the better upgrade after finishing +1 attack, +1 armor or +2 attack? This is considering that we would have an armory naturally in our build before +1 attack finishes.


You want +1 mech attack. From there it doesn't really matter.
galtdunn
Profile Joined March 2011
United States977 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-20 14:56:13
July 20 2011 14:44 GMT
#5557
On July 20 2011 23:15 McPricE wrote:
Say when playing standardish Marine/Tank which is the better upgrade after finishing +1 attack, +1 armor or +2 attack? This is considering that we would have an armory naturally in our build before +1 attack finishes.


It depends on your opponents unit composition.

If he has fast-attacking units (ie zerglings), you want armor to reduce their damage by a significant percentage, possibly nullifying their +1.
If you're against DPS heavy units like zealots/archons/banelings you probably want attack so you can kill them faster.

However, if you're going to have the armory already, you might as well spring for a second engi bay and get both.

Edit: Pros I watch often get +1 attack, then +1 armor, then start their armory, and then get their second engineering bay when the armory is about half done. Then they start 2-2 at the same time.
Currently editing items in the DotA 2 wiki. PM for questions/suggestions.
PenguinFancier
Profile Joined July 2011
1 Post
July 20 2011 15:19 GMT
#5558
Ok, here's my question:

Is is bm for me to say gg to an opponent in chat after he leaves the game without gging?

I had figured that it was okay to gg as the winner, so long as it wasn't preemptive. I just want to be nice.
galtdunn
Profile Joined March 2011
United States977 Posts
July 20 2011 15:24 GMT
#5559
On July 21 2011 00:19 PenguinFancier wrote:
Ok, here's my question:

Is is bm for me to say gg to an opponent in chat after he leaves the game without gging?

I had figured that it was okay to gg as the winner, so long as it wasn't preemptive. I just want to be nice.

This is generally considered very BM. If your opponent left without GGing he was likely upset about the loss, and you GGing is just rubbing it in his face.

There will be the few players who don't take it that way but the general rule is that that is BM.
My policy is to do it if the opponent does a cheesy/all-in strategy and then leaves if I crush him later.

I don't doubt your intentions, but if you did it to me I'd either block communication, or slew vicious insults at you and then block communication.
Currently editing items in the DotA 2 wiki. PM for questions/suggestions.
AmericanUmlaut
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2597 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-20 15:40:00
July 20 2011 15:39 GMT
#5560
On July 21 2011 00:19 PenguinFancier wrote:
Ok, here's my question:

Is is bm for me to say gg to an opponent in chat after he leaves the game without gging?

I had figured that it was okay to gg as the winner, so long as it wasn't preemptive. I just want to be nice.

Just sending 'gg' will probably come across as rude.

If I really feel like a game was good and want to compliment my opponent, I'll usually send a message like "that was great ling control, gg!" That makes it clear that you're being sincere. I usually wouldn't send that to an opponent who didn't gg after a good fight, since that kind of ticks me off.

Edited to add: By the way, the correct response to players who bitch about the matchup and then leave without gging is "lol, gg."
The frumious Bandersnatch
Prev 1 276 277 278 279 280 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem360
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 360
IndyStarCraft 194
Railgan 69
BRAT_OK 40
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 24366
Shuttle 2396
BeSt 469
Larva 377
Soma 165
Mind 162
Dewaltoss 104
Last 86
Sexy 68
hero 66
[ Show more ]
Zeus 52
Hyun 44
Killer 39
ToSsGirL 25
NaDa 23
Bale 20
Rock 18
PianO 18
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc5255
qojqva3170
Dendi1303
420jenkins438
Counter-Strike
fl0m4128
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3566
Khaldor1322
Liquid`Hasu1059
MindelVK14
Other Games
FrodaN2090
singsing1825
byalli934
B2W.Neo818
ArmadaUGS190
Hui .169
KnowMe134
QueenE96
Mew2King57
CosmosSc2 27
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick994
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream50
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 24
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 51
• FirePhoenix1
• niya90s1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3904
League of Legends
• Nemesis2749
Other Games
• Shiphtur287
• WagamamaTV234
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 58m
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 58m
Replay Cast
5h 58m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 58m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
17h 58m
Monday Night Weeklies
22h 58m
Replay Cast
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 16h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 17h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.