• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:05
CEST 15:05
KST 22:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
BrandyHull StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8665 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 277

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 275 276 277 278 279 900 Next
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 19 2011 20:06 GMT
#5521
On July 20 2011 04:10 TwistedHelix wrote:
Question about gas timing:

Assume a ZvZ where both players fast expand (on say, tal darim) and plan on going for a roach/infestor midgame. If I want to get fast +1/+1, then infestors, then +2/+2, what should my approximate gas timings be? I.E., first gas at 17, second when lair starts, etc.

My advise would be to simply take all 4 geysers when lair starts, then if you end up having too much gas (or too few minerals) then start pushing back the 4th geyser, and then the 3rd, there are no timings universal to these things as different people play differently. That being said, I think having all 4 geysers upon lair starting should be fine, as on regular fully saturated bases you mine gas 1/3 the speed of minerals, then you have to account for things like drones, overlords, queens, evo chambers, roach warren, etc. So this should leave you with a healthy gas count.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
vlnplyr
Profile Joined November 2010
United States76 Posts
July 19 2011 21:13 GMT
#5522
On July 20 2011 04:13 vanao wrote:
does the vision-range of missile turrets also increase with research of the shooting-range upgrade?


No, vision range remains the same. Turrets have a vision and detection range of 11 but an attack range of only 7 (or 8 with hi-sec). That means they will reveal cloaked units they can't attack, like Banshees or Observers in/around your base.
www.youtube.com/vlnplyr5
lizzard_warish
Profile Joined June 2011
589 Posts
July 19 2011 22:30 GMT
#5523
Uhhh what the hell do you do if someone goes phoenixes in a pvp?!?!
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
July 19 2011 22:38 GMT
#5524
On July 20 2011 07:30 lizzard_warish wrote:
Uhhh what the hell do you do if someone goes phoenixes in a pvp?!?!


Aside from making phoenixes of your own, other options include blink stalkers and Archons. Try to be somewhat aggressive on the attack, and if you push before he has too many he won't be able to lift up your whole army. Archons he wont' be able to lift at all. As far as dealing with harassment goes, if you find you're not able to fend him off even with blink stalkers, cannons are an option. In general, though, if he's making phoenixes he should be susceptible to some sort of ground attack before he has enough to really do anything. Like, take when he has 2 phoenixes; he's spent 350 gas and has almost nothing to show for it. If you attack right then, he might straight up lose.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
lizzard_warish
Profile Joined June 2011
589 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-19 22:58:31
July 19 2011 22:58 GMT
#5525
Well I was doing a 3 gate robo build and by the time my immortal popped and I got to his base [cross on shakuras] he had like 5 of them and enough zealots to handle what he couldnt lift up. I suppose if im doing a more passive opener I should just sit back, take my nat and go blink?
Huntz
Profile Joined July 2011
164 Posts
July 19 2011 23:42 GMT
#5526
Hey I just lost a game of PvT I went 3 gate expo and he went cloaked banshees. I busted his ramp but by that time he had a cloaked banshee defending and one at my probe line. I had a robo so I got an obs (though still lost a lot of probes), and it basically shut down my aggression since I needed 2-3 obs to push out. Anyway he kept my expo mostly shut down for a while and eventually expo'd himself with a bunch (maybe 10-12) marauders and a few marines. At this point I couldn't really pressure him since I was so invested into stalkers.

So my question is, what should I be building vs. a banshee/raven/marauder composition? I'm guessing phoenix/chargelot would be optimal but in that game I was too far behind to go 2 more tech routes. Would pure gateway work vs. this if we were even/I macro'ed better? Or do I really need specific tech to counter it? I figured this didn't need its own thread since it was just one loss, but at first glance that composition seems pretty scary.

At diamond level if it matters.
NExt
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Australia1651 Posts
July 20 2011 01:25 GMT
#5527
Sup guys. GM SEA, Top 8 Masters (aspiring GM) NA.

I have a question for Zergs. Late game Zergs. Is there a Broodlord timing?

Can I please get some insight on Hive tech for Zerg? What do you need? When can you rock it consistantly? I find whenever I'm gaming late game Zerg I always find myself surprised and caught off guard by Hive units. Ty ♥
Waiting for Protoss Jesus
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
July 20 2011 01:30 GMT
#5528
On July 20 2011 08:42 Huntz wrote:
Hey I just lost a game of PvT I went 3 gate expo and he went cloaked banshees. I busted his ramp but by that time he had a cloaked banshee defending and one at my probe line. I had a robo so I got an obs (though still lost a lot of probes), and it basically shut down my aggression since I needed 2-3 obs to push out. Anyway he kept my expo mostly shut down for a while and eventually expo'd himself with a bunch (maybe 10-12) marauders and a few marines. At this point I couldn't really pressure him since I was so invested into stalkers.

So my question is, what should I be building vs. a banshee/raven/marauder composition? I'm guessing phoenix/chargelot would be optimal but in that game I was too far behind to go 2 more tech routes. Would pure gateway work vs. this if we were even/I macro'ed better? Or do I really need specific tech to counter it? I figured this didn't need its own thread since it was just one loss, but at first glance that composition seems pretty scary.

At diamond level if it matters.


3 gate expo is not a good build if you scout tech. Pure gateway works fine against banshee/bio compositions though, unless he had 2 port banshees in which case you will need phoenix (but I doubt that since he's also spending gas on marauders).
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-20 01:34:52
July 20 2011 01:33 GMT
#5529
On July 20 2011 07:58 lizzard_warish wrote:
Well I was doing a 3 gate robo build and by the time my immortal popped and I got to his base [cross on shakuras] he had like 5 of them and enough zealots to handle what he couldnt lift up. I suppose if im doing a more passive opener I should just sit back, take my nat and go blink?


If you open robo against stargate you pretty much have to do a 1 base all-in with colossus or else you will be behind, since he can expand just as fast as you if not faster, have complete map control, and also be able to harass if you try to play the game out.
palmer04067
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom10 Posts
July 20 2011 02:12 GMT
#5530
why do most pros play on low graphic settings?
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 20 2011 02:21 GMT
#5531
On July 20 2011 11:12 palmer04067 wrote:
why do most pros play on low graphic settings?

More framerate/ particle effects can be distracting.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 20 2011 02:32 GMT
#5532
On July 20 2011 10:25 NExt wrote:
Sup guys. GM SEA, Top 8 Masters (aspiring GM) NA.

I have a question for Zergs. Late game Zergs. Is there a Broodlord timing?

Can I please get some insight on Hive tech for Zerg? What do you need? When can you rock it consistantly? I find whenever I'm gaming late game Zerg I always find myself surprised and caught off guard by Hive units. Ty ♥

Well, an infestation pit is needed for hive, after that the hive has a 100 second build time, and then the greater spire takes an additional 100 seconds to build. So once you see infestors alarms should go off, additionally if the zerg has stopped expanding/harassing and has pulled into passivity. Just scan wherever the lair was build and see if it has upgraded.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
NExt
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Australia1651 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-20 03:00:53
July 20 2011 02:46 GMT
#5533
On July 20 2011 11:32 Soluhwin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 20 2011 10:25 NExt wrote:
Sup guys. GM SEA, Top 8 Masters (aspiring GM) NA.

I have a question for Zergs. Late game Zergs. Is there a Broodlord timing?

Can I please get some insight on Hive tech for Zerg? What do you need? When can you rock it consistantly? I find whenever I'm gaming late game Zerg I always find myself surprised and caught off guard by Hive units. Ty ♥

Well, an infestation pit is needed for hive, after that the hive has a 100 second build time, and then the greater spire takes an additional 100 seconds to build. So once you see infestors alarms should go off, additionally if the zerg has stopped expanding/harassing and has pulled into passivity. Just scan wherever the lair was build and see if it has upgraded.


lol thx, but i was more thinking how many bases? or how much gas are you pulling in etc... etc... insight . Its easy to make an infestations and not go Hive. I'll take the passivity into account though ♥
Waiting for Protoss Jesus
McPricE
Profile Joined May 2010
58 Posts
July 20 2011 03:13 GMT
#5534
Are there any PROS baller enough to play random??? Have watched a ton of vids recently but have seen nary a random high level player. I just remember TLO crushing the beta w/ random and it was so enjoyable.
akalarry
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1978 Posts
July 20 2011 03:29 GMT
#5535
i was watching iccup weekly and all the units look different, especially zerg (like spine crawler's base has a ring around it) everything is generally brighter?

how does that work? certain settings or mod or something?
kingcoyote
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States546 Posts
July 20 2011 03:40 GMT
#5536
On July 20 2011 12:29 akalarry wrote:
i was watching iccup weekly and all the units look different, especially zerg (like spine crawler's base has a ring around it) everything is generally brighter?

how does that work? certain settings or mod or something?


They are using the stronger team colors mod, which enhances the color on units to make it more obvious which team a unit is on.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=216725
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 20 2011 03:48 GMT
#5537
On July 20 2011 11:46 NExt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 20 2011 11:32 Soluhwin wrote:
On July 20 2011 10:25 NExt wrote:
Sup guys. GM SEA, Top 8 Masters (aspiring GM) NA.

I have a question for Zergs. Late game Zergs. Is there a Broodlord timing?

Can I please get some insight on Hive tech for Zerg? What do you need? When can you rock it consistantly? I find whenever I'm gaming late game Zerg I always find myself surprised and caught off guard by Hive units. Ty ♥

Well, an infestation pit is needed for hive, after that the hive has a 100 second build time, and then the greater spire takes an additional 100 seconds to build. So once you see infestors alarms should go off, additionally if the zerg has stopped expanding/harassing and has pulled into passivity. Just scan wherever the lair was build and see if it has upgraded.


lol thx, but i was more thinking how many bases? or how much gas are you pulling in etc... etc... insight . Its easy to make an infestations and not go Hive. I'll take the passivity into account though ♥

It depends on the midgame plan of your opponent, if they went for a standard muta/baneling kind of play then it may take 5-6 bases before they make the commitment simply because muta/baneling can stand for itself. If your opponent went for a more infestor based opening, then they may go hive as early as 3 bases because of how vulnerable their units are to tanks, so broods are a necessarily part of the composition. Also, if you're playing the new age thor/hellion style, expect a veeeeery early hive as a response from your opponent. Take this with a grain of salt, however, because not everyone plays the same.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 20 2011 03:50 GMT
#5538
On July 20 2011 12:13 McPricE wrote:
Are there any PROS baller enough to play random??? Have watched a ton of vids recently but have seen nary a random high level player. I just remember TLO crushing the beta w/ random and it was so enjoyable.

I wouldn't call random a 'baller' move, as keeping up with nine different full match-ups is difficult, so most random players simply take advantage of their opponent not knowing their race and just learn nine different cheeses. Take TSL_Guinepig for example, I haven't really seen a solid, long game from him, just a bunch of calculated timings with no real follow-up.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
windsupernova
Profile Joined October 2010
Mexico5280 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-20 04:47:03
July 20 2011 04:44 GMT
#5539
Ok, back with some more questions as I have started laddering again, sorry if my questions are noobish:

1.- As a Zerg, when I take drones off gas after speed, how long should I wait until putting them back in? Should I wait until my Nat is saturated?
2.- In one of my ladder games I went for a 2 gate robo expand, My guess is that for unit order should be Zealot-Stalker, Sentries until warpgate finishes no? How can I deal with a 2 rax pure marauder push? I can´t really leave my base and he can contain me and I have to cancel my expo.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Do´h forgot another very important question.

When I play Zerg, usually some people ¨save¨ larva so that they can make 6 Zerglings Inmediatly as the pool finishes, when should I stop drone production so that 3 larvae can regenerate on my hatchery? I usually like making 6 Zerglings so that if an early attack comes I can counter attack more effectively and yeah I know its not optimal
"Its easy, just trust your CPU".-Boxer on being good at games
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 20 2011 04:52 GMT
#5540
On July 20 2011 13:44 windsupernova wrote:
Ok, back with some more questions as I have started laddering again, sorry if my questions are noobish:

1.- As a Zerg, when I take drones off gas after speed, how long should I wait until putting them back in? Should I wait until my Nat is saturated?
2.- In one of my ladder games I went for a 2 gate robo expand, My guess is that for unit order should be Zealot-Stalker, Sentries until warpgate finishes no? How can I deal with a 2 rax pure marauder push? I can´t really leave my base and he can contain me and I have to cancel my expo.

Thanks in advance

1) Waaaaay too general. On top of being match-up dependent, it is also very situational because as zerg, you will be playing reactionary. General advice:
ZvT: Depends on game plan, if you are going for a losira style 3 base on hatch tech play then you should probably go back into gas around the time your 3rd overlord pops.
If you are going for a standard 2 base lair into muta/baneling, then 60 seconds before whenever you want your lair started is a good landmark (or 140 seconds before you want your lair finished)
ZvP: Very similar to ZvT, if you are going for a tier 1 roach bust or defending a 4gate etc, then resuming gas income should sync up with the roach warren being started. Again, for more standard play, 140 seconds before you want your lair done.
ZvZ: Whenever your mineral income feels stable. ZvZ is way too volatile and wonky to have a rule any more specific then that.

Also: as soon as you resume mineral income should be about when you take your additional geysers.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Prev 1 275 276 277 278 279 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1444
WardiTV703
OGKoka 253
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko419
OGKoka 253
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 8959
Bisu 4356
FanTaSy 3482
Jaedong 2087
Shuttle 1652
EffOrt 1282
Horang2 746
BeSt 724
actioN 455
Larva 388
[ Show more ]
Mini 278
Stork 121
Zeus 117
Mind 110
Dewaltoss 97
Snow 79
910 64
Barracks 63
Sea.KH 57
soO 54
hero 47
Mong 45
ToSsGirL 43
Sexy 37
sorry 33
Killer 30
Yoon 28
Bale 27
JYJ 26
Shinee 22
Free 18
Aegong 17
Shine 17
scan(afreeca) 15
zelot 15
HiyA 13
Sacsri 12
yabsab 11
Noble 6
Icarus 5
Dota 2
Gorgc4288
qojqva1444
Dendi929
XaKoH 545
febbydoto22
Counter-Strike
x6flipin241
Other Games
singsing2760
olofmeister1255
hiko798
Livibee671
B2W.Neo666
crisheroes349
XBOCT255
Pyrionflax233
dupreeh70
Liquid`VortiX67
QueenE25
Hui .13
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick621
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream28
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2082
• Nemesis1432
Other Games
• WagamamaTV176
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
2h 55m
Replay Cast
9h 55m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 55m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
21h 55m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.