• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:28
CEST 18:28
KST 01:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9544 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 246

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 244 245 246 247 248 900 Next
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-05 13:20:01
July 05 2011 13:18 GMT
#4901
On July 05 2011 21:39 kenkou wrote:
As a Terran player, what are the best ways to place static defensive structures. Two problems I have right now are mutalisk's in TvZ and heavy early gateway pressure in TvP.

Against muta's, where are the key points you should place turrets? Also, how many should you make? For reference, lets say the zerg went 2 hatch muta into expansion, so heavy muta play.

Against protoss, my default build is 2 rax reactor/tech lab pressure, and fall back into expansion. I feel I get run over by any sort of gateway pressure, 3 gate expand is very common. How many bunkers is usually needed to negate their pressure? How should they be placed? Also, how many scv's is usually ideal to pull off the mineral line to repair?

Should you be building the CC on the low ground or in your main base if you 2 rax in TvP? If I build my CC in my main, I feel I need to expand as soon as my orbital is finished, so is there even a need to expand on the high ground?


Well I'll give you some insight into these problems your having even if It may not be a complete answer. (forgive me zatic)

Turrets have a range of 7(+1 with upgrade) and mutalisks have a range of 3.
so imagine a mutalisk attacking a turret from the left
___M__T___T____
if you put a turret 4 spaces to the right of the first turret it will still be able to shoot the mutalisk.
Thus they can cover one another. (5 if you have the range upgrade but not rele relavent.)
put the turrets on the outsides of your mineral line if you plan on making a lot or right in the middle if you just want 2 to hold them till your marines arrive to save the day.

I'm gonna go ahead and say build the orbital in your main.
I have no idea how to answer surviving 3 gate expand pressure.
... umm... if they are three gate expanding they will be making lots of sentires and not attacking... you are actually quite likely to do pretty good damage with concussive 2 rax pressure if you dodge their first force fields. hmm... yeah i guess build bunkers? lol

EDIT: 2 bunkers on high ground 3 on low ground if your scared.
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
shannn
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands2891 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-05 13:35:36
July 05 2011 13:31 GMT
#4902
On July 05 2011 21:15 Sinklarr wrote:
How many production facilities can a terran pull off of 2 bases?
Sorry if its a stupid question (i'm bronze xD)

6-7 rax without addons and generally 3-4 with addons for each mining base.
Any less will get you have spare resources to make up with an expansion.
Obviously the less raxes than the max will get you faster spare resources.

TL;DR
6-7 rax with addons on 2base but you will not have much minerals to spare for an expo unless you cut production or you make marines from tech lab raxes.

On July 05 2011 21:39 kenkou wrote:
As a Terran player, what are the best ways to place static defensive structures. Two problems I have right now are mutalisk's in TvZ and heavy early gateway pressure in TvP.

Against muta's, where are the key points you should place turrets? Also, how many should you make? For reference, lets say the zerg went 2 hatch muta into expansion, so heavy muta play.

Against protoss, my default build is 2 rax reactor/tech lab pressure, and fall back into expansion. I feel I get run over by any sort of gateway pressure, 3 gate expand is very common. How many bunkers is usually needed to negate their pressure? How should they be placed? Also, how many scv's is usually ideal to pull off the mineral line to repair?

Should you be building the CC on the low ground or in your main base if you 2 rax in TvP? If I build my CC in my main, I feel I need to expand as soon as my orbital is finished, so is there even a need to expand on the high ground?

The best way to place turrets is to place it from the direction from the zergs base to your base. Like you don't need to place turrets in the back of your base because if the muta's enter your base and fly to the back then they'll have to get out if they want to survive. Thus making the chances of the muta's flying into the back of your base less likely so you need to place turrets in the front of your base because they'll take unnecessary damage from turrets.

If the toss has a 3gate then 2 bunkers is enough in most cases.
I usually get 1 or 2 more depending if I saw his expo or not and I pull all my scv's to repair as it's better to repair the bunkers with all your scv's than with less scv's where you would have the scenario "I should have pulled more scv's".

With a 2rax you usually pressure thus it's acceptable to expand at the natural rather than on high ground. There are disadvantages ofcourse in case he's 4gating or doing a push himself. You'll need to build 2-3 bunkers asap then.

Edit:
With in the front of the base I do not mean build it near the ramp. In this context I meant every way that is accessible from air from his base to your base will be front.

Edit2:
I generally build 2 turrets at each spot and depending if I have more spare minerals I will build more at each spot. 1 Turret in the beginning will fend off low amount of muta's but if the muta's go like 10+ then you'll definitely need 2 at least for each spot to buy some time for your forces to defend.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewpost.php?post_id=6321864 Epic post.
Bojas
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands2397 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-05 14:08:17
July 05 2011 14:07 GMT
#4903
What's the proper response to 3gate stargate void ray allins when you 1 rax expanded as terran? they warpin on high ground avoiding my bunkers.. have you lost when they are doing that or can you do something to turtle back up?

Pretty hard to scout when the stargate is proxied aswell..
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
July 05 2011 14:11 GMT
#4904
On July 05 2011 23:07 Bojas wrote:
What's the proper response to 3gate stargate void ray allins when you 1 rax expanded as terran? they warpin on high ground avoiding my bunkers.. have you lost when they are doing that or can you do something to turtle back up?

Pretty hard to scout when the stargate is proxied aswell..

I love doing this to people ;p
The only times i loose are when the throw down a bunch of barracks and mass marine.
And i mean MASS
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
IstandAlone
Profile Joined January 2011
11 Posts
July 05 2011 15:08 GMT
#4905
Hi there ! I'm new on the forums so i hope i'm posting in the right section.

I've read Cecil's guide on how to improve and I'm "stuck" at choosing my 3 builds.

I've decided to go for Thorzain's fast 2/2 vs P and TheSTC fast expand into mass bio vs T.

But I'm struggling to find one vs Z that I could emulate. Do you guys think the 3 tanks push might be a good idea ? Or is it outdated ? Because when i watch pro replay they always end up doing high apm harrasment stuff with helions or marines and I know that I won't be able to execute those properly at my level (Im gold).

thanks in advance
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
July 05 2011 15:24 GMT
#4906
On July 05 2011 23:07 Bojas wrote:
What's the proper response to 3gate stargate void ray allins when you 1 rax expanded as terran? they warpin on high ground avoiding my bunkers.. have you lost when they are doing that or can you do something to turtle back up?

Pretty hard to scout when the stargate is proxied aswell..


Missile turrets and marines. I thought missile turrets were too expensive, but really everytime time the terran player gets them my void ray stalker push fails
I might be doing it wrong though, that's not one of my best cheese.
geiko.813 (EU)
Intricate1
Profile Joined May 2011
169 Posts
July 05 2011 15:37 GMT
#4907
On July 06 2011 00:24 Geiko wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 05 2011 23:07 Bojas wrote:
What's the proper response to 3gate stargate void ray allins when you 1 rax expanded as terran? they warpin on high ground avoiding my bunkers.. have you lost when they are doing that or can you do something to turtle back up?

Pretty hard to scout when the stargate is proxied aswell..


Missile turrets and marines. I thought missile turrets were too expensive, but really everytime time the terran player gets them my void ray stalker push fails
I might be doing it wrong though, that's not one of my best cheese.


VoidRay All-in vs a 1rax FE isn't cheese per se
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
July 05 2011 15:57 GMT
#4908
On July 06 2011 00:08 IstandAlone wrote:
Hi there ! I'm new on the forums so i hope i'm posting in the right section.

I've read Cecil's guide on how to improve and I'm "stuck" at choosing my 3 builds.

I've decided to go for Thorzain's fast 2/2 vs P and TheSTC fast expand into mass bio vs T.

But I'm struggling to find one vs Z that I could emulate. Do you guys think the 3 tanks push might be a good idea ? Or is it outdated ? Because when i watch pro replay they always end up doing high apm harrasment stuff with helions or marines and I know that I won't be able to execute those properly at my level (Im gold).

thanks in advance


An easy and solid two base strategy to execute against zerg is a two rax pressure expand wijth marine pressure into a siege tank timing attack. Three tanks is good. Any tricky strategy that will somehow overwhelm marines and tanks shouldnt be a problemm at the lower levels.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
palmer04067
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom10 Posts
July 05 2011 16:26 GMT
#4909
when you select a bunch of units how do u deselct a few of them. For expample if i select 6 dornes but want 3 of them to go mine gas how do i deselect the extra drones
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
July 05 2011 16:41 GMT
#4910
On July 06 2011 01:26 palmer04067 wrote:
when you select a bunch of units how do u deselct a few of them. For expample if i select 6 dornes but want 3 of them to go mine gas how do i deselect the extra drones

Hold down shift and click any probe icons (the ones in the middle) 3 times in a row.
Shift is generally deselect.
You can also
Shift + highlight units to remove
Shift + ctrl + click unit icons to deselect all units of that type

On July 06 2011 00:08 IstandAlone wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Hi there ! I'm new on the forums so i hope i'm posting in the right section.

I've read Cecil's guide on how to improve and I'm "stuck" at choosing my 3 builds.

I've decided to go for Thorzain's fast 2/2 vs P and TheSTC fast expand into mass bio vs T.

But I'm struggling to find one vs Z that I could emulate. Do you guys think the 3 tanks push might be a good idea ? Or is it outdated ? Because when i watch pro replay they always end up doing high apm harrasment stuff with helions or marines and I know that I won't be able to execute those properly at my level (Im gold).

thanks in advance

All your strategies sound on the difficult side of ones to master, which should be your goal.
As i see it mastering a build is to accomplish being most efficient.
Getting all the way to the end is the most important thing.
It teaches you what precise timing is so you can understand the feel of it better.
It wont teach you to be versatile but it will help you tonnes on the ladder.
I'm not saying go out and 4 gate every game but every protoss player should be good at 4 gating.
Try to pick stratagies that have a measurable "move out with this at this time" step.
As for high APM harassment. Don't be afraid to pick a time when you harass every game (that goes as planned) and do a low apm version. One marine drop in the main with your second medivac or something. You have to learn what it feels like eventually.
I can't help you with specifics for terran but welcome to the forum! =) and check This Thread out.
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
Vod.kaholic
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1052 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-05 17:51:03
July 05 2011 16:41 GMT
#4911
On July 06 2011 01:26 palmer04067 wrote:
when you select a bunch of units how do u deselct a few of them. For expample if i select 6 dornes but want 3 of them to go mine gas how do i deselect the extra drones


shift+left-click on the drone portraits in the selection box until you have 3 selected. Shift+left-click deselects them from the group.

EDIT: I meant the wireframe (portraits) in the bottom middle of the screen, not the portrait that shows the drone's face.
._. \: |: /: .-. :\ :| :/ ._. They see me rolling...
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
July 05 2011 17:40 GMT
#4912
On July 06 2011 01:41 Vod.kaholic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 06 2011 01:26 palmer04067 wrote:
when you select a bunch of units how do u deselct a few of them. For expample if i select 6 dornes but want 3 of them to go mine gas how do i deselect the extra drones


shift+left-click on the drone portraits in the selection box until you have 3 selected. Shift+left-click deselects them from the group.

You should get used to shift+clicking them in the selection group tabs in the bottom middle of your screen, so you can quickly do that. You often need to shift deselect things, and using the portrait is a bad habit.
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-05 17:43:37
July 05 2011 17:42 GMT
#4913
On July 06 2011 00:08 IstandAlone wrote:
Hi there ! I'm new on the forums so i hope i'm posting in the right section.

I've read Cecil's guide on how to improve and I'm "stuck" at choosing my 3 builds.

I've decided to go for Thorzain's fast 2/2 vs P and TheSTC fast expand into mass bio vs T.

But I'm struggling to find one vs Z that I could emulate. Do you guys think the 3 tanks push might be a good idea ? Or is it outdated ? Because when i watch pro replay they always end up doing high apm harrasment stuff with helions or marines and I know that I won't be able to execute those properly at my level (Im gold).

thanks in advance

If you see a lot of pro replays doing that in TvZ, then if you copy it you should be put in a good position. Since I play P I know really little about TvZ, but I do know that having low apm or poor micro should never dissuade you from doing a build you commonly see. If anything, you should be opting to do that one specifically, as your struggles will make you a better player, as you'll have to improve to pull things off correctly.
Vod.kaholic
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1052 Posts
July 05 2011 17:49 GMT
#4914
On July 06 2011 02:40 CecilSunkure wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 06 2011 01:41 Vod.kaholic wrote:
On July 06 2011 01:26 palmer04067 wrote:
when you select a bunch of units how do u deselct a few of them. For expample if i select 6 dornes but want 3 of them to go mine gas how do i deselect the extra drones


shift+left-click on the drone portraits in the selection box until you have 3 selected. Shift+left-click deselects them from the group.

You should get used to shift+clicking them in the selection group tabs in the bottom middle of your screen, so you can quickly do that. You often need to shift deselect things, and using the portrait is a bad habit.


By "portraits in the selection box" I meant the wireframes in the selection box. We were talking about the same thing :p
._. \: |: /: .-. :\ :| :/ ._. They see me rolling...
BoD0M
Profile Joined June 2011
64 Posts
July 05 2011 17:50 GMT
#4915
Whats the hotkey for cancel morphing? like morphing lings and corruptors.
IstandAlone
Profile Joined January 2011
11 Posts
July 05 2011 18:52 GMT
#4916
Thank you all for your answers. I think I'll go with the now common 2rax into BF hellions into Marine/tank. That should keep me occupied for a while.
tehemperorer
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2183 Posts
July 05 2011 19:07 GMT
#4917
On July 06 2011 02:50 BoD0M wrote:
Whats the hotkey for cancel morphing? like morphing lings and corruptors.

escape key I believe?

Bed of Razors?
Knowing is half the battle... the other half is lasers.
Emporio
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States3069 Posts
July 05 2011 21:21 GMT
#4918
Do densic structures (turrets, spines, cannons) benefit from unit upgrades or do they have static stats the entire game. I know that there are Terran defense specific upgrades such as building armor and range increases, but do the attack upgrades also affect them?
How does it feel knowing you wasted another 3 seconds of your life reading this again?
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 05 2011 21:43 GMT
#4919
On July 06 2011 06:21 Emporio wrote:
Do densic structures (turrets, spines, cannons) benefit from unit upgrades or do they have static stats the entire game. I know that there are Terran defense specific upgrades such as building armor and range increases, but do the attack upgrades also affect them?

No, only protoss shield upgrades and terran building armor effects static defense.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
July 05 2011 23:19 GMT
#4920
Can anyone tell me the build for the Roach Ling all-in
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Prev 1 244 245 246 247 248 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Codebar 36
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1101
Mini 932
Shuttle 825
Soma 596
actioN 492
Rush 354
Light 311
Larva 304
Stork 271
ggaemo 249
[ Show more ]
BeSt 236
Horang2 211
Snow 176
Dewaltoss 134
hero 129
firebathero 127
Barracks 76
Aegong 74
Zeus 63
Liquid`Ret 50
Sexy 36
Shinee 36
Sharp 34
Shine 31
JYJ 31
soO 25
ToSsGirL 25
Bale 23
sorry 16
zelot 16
Trap 14
Terrorterran 11
Rock 11
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc9137
qojqva2208
Dendi845
420jenkins149
Counter-Strike
fl0m1305
Fnx 749
x6flipin643
pashabiceps176
edward64
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5604
Grubby1981
Other Games
singsing1383
B2W.Neo1014
byalli470
ceh9333
Mlord320
Beastyqt275
Khaldor251
DeMusliM163
Liquid`VortiX155
ArmadaUGS141
KnowMe129
Trikslyr53
BRAT_OK 46
TKL 19
Railgan8
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV250
BasetradeTV218
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream164
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH246
• StrangeGG 67
• mYiSmile123
• Reevou 2
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix7
• blackmanpl 4
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV411
League of Legends
• Nemesis2513
• TFBlade777
Other Games
• Shiphtur271
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 32m
Kung Fu Cup
18h 32m
The PondCast
1d 17h
OSC
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.