• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:18
CEST 11:18
KST 18:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9566 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 166

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 164 165 166 167 168 900 Next
RM_12
Profile Joined March 2011
201 Posts
May 26 2011 13:39 GMT
#3301
Is it possible with 2gate+robo opener, to defend 7 roaches at 5:45, with 12 lings few seconds behind them?

Scouted 1 base roach all-in about 30 sec before it came knocking to my wall, but i have literaly no idea how on earth i can stop this.
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
May 26 2011 13:45 GMT
#3302
On May 26 2011 22:39 RM_12 wrote:
Is it possible with 2gate+robo opener, to defend 7 roaches at 5:45, with 12 lings few seconds behind them?

Scouted 1 base roach all-in about 30 sec before it came knocking to my wall, but i have literaly no idea how on earth i can stop this.


You shouldn't have expanded by then so you only need to hold your ramp. Chrono out an immortal , and FF your ramp cutting little portions of army. Warp in stalkers and kill the roaches as they move up your ramp. Don't hesitate to fully wall off your ramp if you are overwhelmed.

But you shouldn't really be using a 2 gate robo opener vs zerg... Go for a safe 3 gate sentry expand and it will be even easier to hold.
geiko.813 (EU)
RM_12
Profile Joined March 2011
201 Posts
May 26 2011 14:03 GMT
#3303
thanks, i'm going to practice 3 gate vs Z then, because i did everything else you suggested and because of close positions there was no way to get my units fast enaugh without cutting probes alot.
TranceF0rm
Profile Joined March 2011
United States25 Posts
May 26 2011 14:11 GMT
#3304
is it possible to be promoted twice in 1 day? like from silver to gold to plat, and is it possible to go straight from gold to diamond or do u have to go thru plat first?
Oh great.. A Thor..
pig-dude
Profile Joined March 2011
United States170 Posts
May 26 2011 14:24 GMT
#3305
On May 26 2011 23:11 TranceF0rm wrote:
is it possible to be promoted twice in 1 day? like from silver to gold to plat, and is it possible to go straight from gold to diamond or do u have to go thru plat first?

Yes, and while I still hear about bnet promoting people multiple leagues at once (silver -> plat, etc) I think they've made it more likely to take you one league at a time. I played nothing but high gold and low plat over my past 60 or so games, and when the ladder unlocked, my first game took me to silver, and the second to gold.
pig-dude
Profile Joined March 2011
United States170 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-26 14:26:29
May 26 2011 14:24 GMT
#3306
I am re-posting because my strat post was closed, and I was advised to post my question in this thread:

I have only seriously played as zerg, and I'm finding that I am as useful as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest when playing as protoss. I have read most of what is in the liquipedia on protoss strategy, and searched this forum for specific topics (how to deal with specific things my opponent might do), but I'm afraid I have not a single clue about how protoss is actually supposed to play the game.

As zerg, I mostly base my play off of what my opponent does, and it works pretty well, because of how easily zerg can react. I also expand almost at will, as soon as I feel a little bit "safe." I find that as protoss, I can't just will an army into existence like with zerg, and my expansion is almost always destroyed.

Are there any guides out there on general protoss play, and the things a protoss should be doing? Am I supposed to semi-blindly mass an army in the early stages of the game, and hope for the best? I simply feel helplessly inflexible when I am anything but zerg.
pig-dude
Profile Joined March 2011
United States170 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-26 14:32:28
May 26 2011 14:29 GMT
#3307
On May 26 2011 22:39 RM_12 wrote:
Is it possible with 2gate+robo opener, to defend 7 roaches at 5:45, with 12 lings few seconds behind them?

Scouted 1 base roach all-in about 30 sec before it came knocking to my wall, but i have literaly no idea how on earth i can stop this.

Have a good wall, which he'll try to break with his roaches. If he sends an OL, kill it before it can spot. FF the ramp and go to work on them with your stalkers and immortal(s). The lings won't get through if he doesn't break your wall. The most important part, to me, is taking out the OL as it works its way down to you.

Edit: I mean that you should FF as the roaches make their way up the ramp, splitting his forces.
HolyArrow
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7116 Posts
May 26 2011 14:41 GMT
#3308
I have a friend who pretty much always goes 2rax expand. In PvT, is there a specific strategy that counters a 2rax expand pretty well? It seems like a 2rax expand is a very standard safe type of play, so I doubt there's a really clear counter to it, but I'm just curious.
Synystyr
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1446 Posts
May 26 2011 14:49 GMT
#3309
On May 26 2011 23:41 HolyArrow wrote:
I have a friend who pretty much always goes 2rax expand. In PvT, is there a specific strategy that counters a 2rax expand pretty well? It seems like a 2rax expand is a very standard safe type of play, so I doubt there's a really clear counter to it, but I'm just curious.


What kind of 2 rax expand specifically? Is it Reactor+Tech Lab? Concussive shells? Naked Rax?

As far as any Marauder heavy opener goes, proxy stargate -> 2 Void Rays + Zealots will destroy him. Use the Zealots to kill marines and the Void Rays will win the game for you right there.
Sky Terran TvP V2.0: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=355839
Sir Snoopy
Profile Joined March 2011
United States57 Posts
May 26 2011 14:57 GMT
#3310
There are so many YABOTs to use- which version has the most build choices/highest quality?
That's SIR Sir Snoopy to you!
HolyArrow
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7116 Posts
May 26 2011 14:58 GMT
#3311
On May 26 2011 23:49 Synystyr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 26 2011 23:41 HolyArrow wrote:
I have a friend who pretty much always goes 2rax expand. In PvT, is there a specific strategy that counters a 2rax expand pretty well? It seems like a 2rax expand is a very standard safe type of play, so I doubt there's a really clear counter to it, but I'm just curious.


What kind of 2 rax expand specifically? Is it Reactor+Tech Lab? Concussive shells? Naked Rax?

As far as any Marauder heavy opener goes, proxy stargate -> 2 Void Rays + Zealots will destroy him. Use the Zealots to kill marines and the Void Rays will win the game for you right there.


Ah, sorry. Let me check on that. I had a feeling I should have been more specific.

Okay, so it's Tech Lab first getting Conc shells ASAP (and stim right when that's done), with a second rax with a reactor. So he has a pretty even balance of marines and marauders. Specific order is rax, tech lab, conc shells, second rax, reactor. Just seems like a very well safe opening, so I was wondering if there was some sort of opening I could do to at least take advantage of his predictability.
meiloAUT
Profile Joined February 2011
Austria41 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-26 15:42:35
May 26 2011 15:12 GMT
#3312
On May 26 2011 23:57 Sir Snoopy wrote:
There are so many YABOTs to use- which version has the most build choices/highest quality?


You can check the changelog here http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/yabot/#w-changelog to finde the latest version (at the moment 1.4.1). Also you can download Yabot there.
meiloAUT
Profile Joined February 2011
Austria41 Posts
May 26 2011 15:30 GMT
#3313
On May 26 2011 23:58 HolyArrow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 26 2011 23:49 Synystyr wrote:
On May 26 2011 23:41 HolyArrow wrote:
I have a friend who pretty much always goes 2rax expand. In PvT, is there a specific strategy that counters a 2rax expand pretty well? It seems like a 2rax expand is a very standard safe type of play, so I doubt there's a really clear counter to it, but I'm just curious.


What kind of 2 rax expand specifically? Is it Reactor+Tech Lab? Concussive shells? Naked Rax?

As far as any Marauder heavy opener goes, proxy stargate -> 2 Void Rays + Zealots will destroy him. Use the Zealots to kill marines and the Void Rays will win the game for you right there.


Ah, sorry. Let me check on that. I had a feeling I should have been more specific.

Okay, so it's Tech Lab first getting Conc shells ASAP (and stim right when that's done), with a second rax with a reactor. So he has a pretty even balance of marines and marauders. Specific order is rax, tech lab, conc shells, second rax, reactor. Just seems like a very well safe opening, so I was wondering if there was some sort of opening I could do to at least take advantage of his predictability.


Looks like http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/1_Rax_Marauder_(vs._Protoss) to me, with the difference that he buts down a reactor instead of a third rax. I would recomment going http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/3_Gateway_Expansion since this is a very stable build, that can deal with terran aggression pretty well and will most likely get you a faster expo than his. Also you can delay your robo, since you know that no banshees are comming.

Alternatively you could try to get a timing attack on him, since you know what units and upgrades he has at any given point.
azn_dude1
Profile Joined October 2010
162 Posts
May 26 2011 15:46 GMT
#3314
How do you use /r to quick reply to a chat?
meiloAUT
Profile Joined February 2011
Austria41 Posts
May 26 2011 15:49 GMT
#3315
On May 27 2011 00:46 azn_dude1 wrote:
How do you use /r to quick reply to a chat?


type "/r" and then space in the chat and the last person that PMed you will get the message.
TDC
Profile Joined May 2010
United States197 Posts
May 26 2011 19:22 GMT
#3316
Hi, I'm a ~900 master league protoss (since the points are time invariant, if you're looking this post weeks later, it's around 15ranked master player in most leagues). I was wondering where I can get good replay packs. I'm not looking for some epic games which is fun to watch, but not educational. I'm wondering where you guys find replay packs from Grand Master players that plays mostly standard builds with winning and losing games that'll help me better understand the protoss timing.
Top 25 master league Toss http://www.sc2ranks.com/us/1253149/TDC
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
May 26 2011 19:26 GMT
#3317
On May 27 2011 04:22 TDC wrote:
Hi, I'm a ~900 master league protoss (since the points are time invariant, if you're looking this post weeks later, it's around 15ranked master player in most leagues). I was wondering where I can get good replay packs. I'm not looking for some epic games which is fun to watch, but not educational. I'm wondering where you guys find replay packs from Grand Master players that plays mostly standard builds with winning and losing games that'll help me better understand the protoss timing.


Check out white-ra.com and the replays teamliquid releases, i think that's a good place to start.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
zboss
Profile Joined May 2011
9 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-26 20:09:05
May 26 2011 20:08 GMT
#3318
How many active players are there? Or how many players are in masters?

Also does SC2 rankings include everyone? Or just the people that manually add themselves?
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
May 26 2011 20:50 GMT
#3319
On May 27 2011 05:08 zboss wrote:
How many active players are there? Or how many players are in masters?

Also does SC2 rankings include everyone? Or just the people that manually add themselves?


You can check all of that in SC2 ranks by sorting through "activity" and "league"

http://www.sc2ranks.com


sc2ranks has everyone (not just people who add themselves)
geiko.813 (EU)
MoreFaSho
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1427 Posts
May 26 2011 21:52 GMT
#3320
On May 26 2011 22:39 RM_12 wrote:
Is it possible with 2gate+robo opener, to defend 7 roaches at 5:45, with 12 lings few seconds behind them?

Scouted 1 base roach all-in about 30 sec before it came knocking to my wall, but i have literaly no idea how on earth i can stop this.

It's actually pretty easy: Complete your wall-off with a pylon, that will let your units get free shots while the roaches can't hit them (and are presumably hitting your wall and give you time to get out a couple more units you need to crush the attack.
I always try to shield slam face, just to make sure it doesnt work
Prev 1 164 165 166 167 168 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 91
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 762
Horang2 482
Hyuk 410
soO 407
Bisu 326
Mini 304
Larva 288
ZerO 221
Killer 63
Zeus 59
[ Show more ]
Shinee 56
EffOrt 43
Mind 40
Bale 30
PianO 25
Mong 20
Rush 16
Terrorterran 15
ZergMaN 15
ToSsGirL 13
Sacsri 11
Stork 9
HiyA 8
Dota 2
XaKoH 752
XcaliburYe285
Counter-Strike
byalli707
Other Games
singsing1283
olofmeister1009
ceh9684
Happy359
crisheroes215
Livibee172
Mew2King60
ArmadaUGS45
ZerO(Twitch)5
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH367
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2291
League of Legends
• Jankos1766
• Stunt410
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
42m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
1h 42m
Monday Night Weeklies
6h 42m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 14h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.