• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:15
CEST 03:15
KST 10:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7057 users

ZvP Phoenix into double robo on Scrap

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
smwatkin
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada399 Posts
November 29 2010 23:25 GMT
#1
Am I the only one who cringes when I get this matchup? It seems at the level I'm at (1600 diamond NA) all the protoss like to go 6 phoenix into double robo bay and pound out immortal, stalker, colossus and a couple of zlots. I've watched this replay a few times and I can't put my finger on where I'm going wrong, but this destroys me every time. Here's what I'm thinking

1. Pound out hydras faster?
2. Go corruptor faster?
3. Is this just a problem where I'm leaving my OL's too scattered and forgetting about them?
4. I think I blindly went roaches in this game for too long

Either way, can anybody provide some insight?

Thanks Gents,

-NuVo
ZvP NuVo vs chy
ryc
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada29 Posts
November 29 2010 23:29 GMT
#2
Just go fucking kill him.

(before he has robos. scout dilgently)
7 pooled my way into masters
snazbaz
Profile Joined October 2010
40 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-29 23:42:47
November 29 2010 23:42 GMT
#3
I think infestors would have really helped you in this game but you didn't make any at all.
Alzadar
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada5009 Posts
November 29 2010 23:46 GMT
#4
If you're certain of the Robo transition then pumping out Corruptors seems like a good choice, they dominate Phoenix and will obviously help with Colossus.
I am the Town Medic.
orotoss
Profile Joined September 2010
United States298 Posts
November 29 2010 23:51 GMT
#5
On this map you can easily get away with sticking to air units almost all game. While you wait for your spire, just mass spine crawlers outside your main/nat. Throw a hydra den with your spire so he thinks he is forcing you to go ground, and then just pump muta/corruptor. The bases are pretty easy to dual harass with groups of mutas and then just try to rush for broodlords. Seriously, they do amazing with all the cliffs and edges. The third is really hard to hold so you might even consider staying on 2 base until the broodlords come out. As long as you keep your broodlords out of range of his stalkers, the main will be easy to take out. And corruptors absolutely wreck phoenixes. Back at your base you will have a nice spine crawler wall and a ton of speedlings (mineral dump) for defense.
BLARRGHGHH
Talin
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Montenegro10532 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-30 01:07:06
November 30 2010 01:05 GMT
#6
On November 30 2010 08:25 smwatkin wrote:
Am I the only one who cringes when I get this matchup? It seems at the level I'm at (1600 diamond NA) all the protoss like to go 6 phoenix into double robo bay and pound out immortal, stalker, colossus and a couple of zlots. I've watched this replay a few times and I can't put my finger on where I'm going wrong, but this destroys me every time. Here's what I'm thinking

1. Pound out hydras faster?
2. Go corruptor faster?
3. Is this just a problem where I'm leaving my OL's too scattered and forgetting about them?
4. I think I blindly went roaches in this game for too long

Either way, can anybody provide some insight?

Thanks Gents,

-NuVo
ZvP NuVo vs chy


As a Protoss who uses 4 to 7 Phoenix openers a lot, there are three things that I fear the most - Queens, Creep spread and my own concentration / multitasking not being up to the task.

You had a healthy amount of Queens, your positioning of Queens and Overlords and anticipation of Phoenix movement wasn't always the best but it was fine. But mostly everything else you did wasn't really necessary - 2 Spine Crawlers were definitely unnecessary with the kind of opener he went for, and even the Roach count was a bit high imo. And while 2 Spore Crawlers were reasonable on Scrap, 4 really weren't.

Also Creep spread needs to skyrocket in these ZvP scenarios. You already have a lot of Queens which automatically gives you faster creep spreading - Creep gives you intel on Phoenix movement, option of using the extra Queens offensively, and makes your Hydras actually useful and worth their cost if you decide to go for them.

Finally, the general problem was that 6 Phoenix kept you on 2 bases with all the extra defenses you made. You were actually behind on worker count / economy for most of the game, even significantly so when you chose to attack, and you pushed far too late to exploit the weaknesses of his build.

Tl;dr, there are two things you can do after Phoenix openers -
1) Get minimal sufficient defense and power your economy through the Phoenix harassment, and you'll soon end up with a massive advantage.
2) Go for a strong mid-game push, usually Roach-based, and hit the timing while he's still weak from teching/expanding.

I lose more to #2 than I do to #1, probably because there aren't so many good macro Zergs on the ladder though.
Allred
Profile Joined November 2010
United States352 Posts
November 30 2010 01:23 GMT
#7
i like to often open with a stargate and transition into robo and usually the zerg player does not know how to counter it, but there is a timing window for the zerg to attack right before my first collosi/range is completed.
An expert is a man who tells you a simple thing in a confused way in such a fashion as to make you think the confusion is your own fault. ~William Castle
HardCorey
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States709 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 00:22:38
November 30 2010 02:00 GMT
#8
Hi Nuvo, I'm HardCorey and ive just started trying to do a video series of answering questions on various threads that provide replays. I took a look at your replay and I just uploaded the video. I only read the first post but it looks like some of things I bring up were discussed a bit.

http://www.hardcorey.blip.tv/file/4446385/

My Main Thread

Hope this helps,
-HardCorey
Don't Worry, Be Happy.
smwatkin
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada399 Posts
November 30 2010 02:21 GMT
#9
On November 30 2010 11:00 HardCorey wrote:
Hi Nuvo, I'm HardCorey and ive just started trying to do a video series of answering questions on various threads that provide replays. I took a look at your replay and I just uploaded the video. I only read the first post but it looks like some of things I bring up were discussed a bit.

http://www.hardcorey.blip.tv/file/4446385/

Hope this helps,
-HardCorey


Thanks a lot man that's great! I've never had anybody analyze my replay. It's buffering right now but I'll take a look and PM you.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings60
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 137
RuFF_SC2 39
ProTech24
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15348
Rain 2266
Artosis 640
Bale 16
League of Legends
Doublelift3772
Counter-Strike
taco 265
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox579
Mew2King192
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1136
Other Games
summit1g8558
Day[9].tv663
JimRising 535
PiGStarcraft341
C9.Mang0242
ArmadaUGS69
ViBE51
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV184
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream90
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 146
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP53
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv663
• Scarra589
• Shiphtur202
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
11h 45m
OSC
20h 45m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 8h
Online Event
1d 9h
FEL
1d 14h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 15h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 17h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.