• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:21
CEST 00:21
KST 07:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)16Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9233 users

[G] The Art Of ZvP 2 - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Obsolescence
Profile Joined August 2010
United States270 Posts
November 19 2010 16:18 GMT
#61
I love when I open a [G] thread and it is immediately apparent that it is worthy of the tag. Nice job, I'm still digesting the info but stellar presentation!
It doesn't think. It doesn't feel. It doesn't laugh or cry. All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die. -Phyrexian Hulk
ZerG~LegenD
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Sweden1179 Posts
November 19 2010 16:28 GMT
#62
On November 20 2010 01:05 ShadowWolf wrote:
I don't know that I agree gas/pool is really a great opener for this, but the guide itself is awesome If anything, people being successful at a reasonably high level demonstrates that the opener is probably not as big a deal right now.

Do you ever choose to go with Muta/Ling routes in situations where you're not facing Blink Stalkers?

I did that every game back until 2 weeks ago. When you go Mutalisks there'll be a timing window while Spire morphs where you're extremely week and very likely to die. Spine Crawlers is very uneconomic on most maps since their Naturals are so wide open. However, I still go Mutalisk every now and then on Lost Temple, Shakuras and Metal cross positions.

I don't think Roach defence into Mutalisks is viable, but I don't know for sure so it might be.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day
my0s
Profile Joined March 2010
United States193 Posts
November 19 2010 22:11 GMT
#63
Amazing guide. This is the type of work from the community members that makes TL handsdown the best SC community around.

Should we expect to see a ZvT and ZvZ followup soon?
embries
Profile Joined August 2010
United States70 Posts
November 19 2010 22:34 GMT
#64
this is an excellent guide. You may want to add a note about the korean 4gate since a)it's zealot only and b) the timing is significantly earlier and your 4:45 overlord scout would see it aprox 15 seconds before he starts pushing you.
ZerG~LegenD
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Sweden1179 Posts
November 19 2010 23:18 GMT
#65
On November 20 2010 07:11 my0s wrote:
Amazing guide. This is the type of work from the community members that makes TL handsdown the best SC community around.

Should we expect to see a ZvT and ZvZ followup soon?

I am writing a ZvZ guide at the moment. It's my best match up and I do think I'm one of the best ZvZ players in Europe but it's a very complex matchup and I ain't covering all openings. Only the 2 I feel most comfortable with: 15 Hatch and mass Contaminate. Speedling expand feels like a very solid opening and I wish to learn it in the future but don't expect it in the guide.

I feel kinda lost in ZvT at the moment so don't expect that one, at least not in a while. Since the last patch Terrans have gotten so much better at utilising their race. They just feel monstrously strong right now. Perhaps the coming GSL can enlighten me.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day
Silentenigma
Profile Joined July 2009
Turkey2037 Posts
November 19 2010 23:27 GMT
#66
Great guide thx!
日本語が上手ですね
Vaporized
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1471 Posts
November 19 2010 23:32 GMT
#67
awesome thread.

i have a problem tho. nexus forge expand builds into nothing but stalker/collosus.

i know there is a timing where i could kill him before he gets production rolling. but i play macro/defend usually and feel like i should be able to play that way and beat this army.

just stalker balls in general are very difficult for me to beat. when the ball gets a decent physical size lings are just a waste of supply. roach/hydra is what i usually have and it gets stomped (HARD when collosus are mixed in).

gah! extremely frustrated atm. someone tell me what i am missing please!
ShadowWolf
Profile Joined March 2010
United States197 Posts
November 19 2010 23:59 GMT
#68
On November 20 2010 08:32 Vaporized wrote:
awesome thread.

i have a problem tho. nexus forge expand builds into nothing but stalker/collosus.

i know there is a timing where i could kill him before he gets production rolling. but i play macro/defend usually and feel like i should be able to play that way and beat this army.

just stalker balls in general are very difficult for me to beat. when the ball gets a decent physical size lings are just a waste of supply. roach/hydra is what i usually have and it gets stomped (HARD when collosus are mixed in).

gah! extremely frustrated atm. someone tell me what i am missing please!


You might try getting Infestors. Infestors are a very underrated unit in terms of their ability to control space. It's a lot easier to get an advantageous concave when your opponent can't move after-all. I feel like there's a certain point where adding Roaches and/or Hydralisks just isn't helping you anymore. The extras just run around like idiots and then die off when your forces start to dwindle. The other thing to not forget is how powerful Corruptors are against Colossi balls - and to use their special ability.

The most important thing, I've found is your engagement point. Corruptors and Infestors allow you to control the positioning of the fight, which is paramount. It doesn't matter how many roaches or hydralisks you have if he has 4+ colossi going wild on your concave.

On November 20 2010 01:28 ZerG~LegenD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2010 01:05 ShadowWolf wrote:
I don't know that I agree gas/pool is really a great opener for this, but the guide itself is awesome If anything, people being successful at a reasonably high level demonstrates that the opener is probably not as big a deal right now.

Do you ever choose to go with Muta/Ling routes in situations where you're not facing Blink Stalkers?

I did that every game back until 2 weeks ago. When you go Mutalisks there'll be a timing window while Spire morphs where you're extremely week and very likely to die. Spine Crawlers is very uneconomic on most maps since their Naturals are so wide open. However, I still go Mutalisk every now and then on Lost Temple, Shakuras and Metal cross positions.

I don't think Roach defence into Mutalisks is viable, but I don't know for sure so it might be.


I'm still refining my Zerg play, but I definitely was starting to see that Spire window exposed against 1600+ Protoss players. Before that point, it felt like Muta/Ling was basically unstoppable if they didn't kill a lot of drones at the start, but then people started doing the 6 gate sentry/stalker timing push or even sometimes a 3 gate 2 stalker, 1 zealot push can cause a lot of problems. I definitely like the MutaLing strategy on Shakuras and Metal because it's really easy to move around in "unhittable" space. Lost Temple sometimes, too - but I get that 6 gate attack 9/10 times on that map for whatever reason :-\

I'm looking forward to putting this to bear since I tend to struggle a lot vs 2 base Gateway pushes - especially on Xel'Naga. I might roll with the plan of If Early Robo Then MutaLing Else Roach/Hydra.

I've always liked Muta/(B)Ling/Infestor transition in to Ultra/(B)Ling/Infestor. I started having more success when I focused on just delaying and stagnating Terran and less on killing him. I know Day[9] & TLO were talking about that, too, where it's better to just contain rather than attack in a lot of times.
ChickenLips
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2912 Posts
November 20 2010 00:09 GMT
#69
On November 20 2010 08:18 ZerG~LegenD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2010 07:11 my0s wrote:
Amazing guide. This is the type of work from the community members that makes TL handsdown the best SC community around.

Should we expect to see a ZvT and ZvZ followup soon?

I am writing a ZvZ guide at the moment. It's my best match up and I do think I'm one of the best ZvZ players in Europe but it's a very complex matchup and I ain't covering all openings. Only the 2 I feel most comfortable with: 15 Hatch and mass Contaminate. Speedling expand feels like a very solid opening and I wish to learn it in the future but don't expect it in the guide.

I feel kinda lost in ZvT at the moment so don't expect that one, at least not in a while. Since the last patch Terrans have gotten so much better at utilising their race. They just feel monstrously strong right now. Perhaps the coming GSL can enlighten me.


Writing that ZvZ guide would make you a super mega giga baller. As for ZvT, there exists a variety of styles currently in Korea. IdrA insists on using sling/bling/muta and he just crushes faces left and right with his monstruous ZvT. For reference you can watch his MLG rep pack where he won the entire thing.

The other that the koreans are doing is roach + X where X usually consists of mainly either mutas or banelings. NesTea prefers going heavier on the mutas whereas FruitDealer likes banelings more but also gets around 5 mutas in mid game just to be able to fend off drops and to gain map control

As of now, I think ZvT is the easier matchup for Zerg and most pros agree. Just speedlings alone rape a plethora of Terran units cost for cost. Add to that blings or infestors or mutas and you've got yourself a winning combo
❤Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ✿
SaikOuLighT
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada742 Posts
November 20 2010 00:14 GMT
#70
Very nice guide, I am definitely going to incorporate those timings into my play.
Vaporized
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1471 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-20 00:33:41
November 20 2010 00:23 GMT
#71
On November 20 2010 08:59 ShadowWolf wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2010 08:32 Vaporized wrote:
awesome thread.

i have a problem tho. nexus forge expand builds into nothing but stalker/collosus.

i know there is a timing where i could kill him before he gets production rolling. but i play macro/defend usually and feel like i should be able to play that way and beat this army.

just stalker balls in general are very difficult for me to beat. when the ball gets a decent physical size lings are just a waste of supply. roach/hydra is what i usually have and it gets stomped (HARD when collosus are mixed in).

gah! extremely frustrated atm. someone tell me what i am missing please!


You might try getting Infestors. Infestors are a very underrated unit in terms of their ability to control space. It's a lot easier to get an advantageous concave when your opponent can't move after-all. I feel like there's a certain point where adding Roaches and/or Hydralisks just isn't helping you anymore. The extras just run around like idiots and then die off when your forces start to dwindle. The other thing to not forget is how powerful Corruptors are against Colossi balls - and to use their special ability.

The most important thing, I've found is your engagement point. Corruptors and Infestors allow you to control the positioning of the fight, which is paramount. It doesn't matter how many roaches or hydralisks you have if he has 4+ colossi going wild on your concave.


thanks for the response!

if other people can beat this style of play using roach/hydra/corrupter then i guess i am doing it wrong. i try to get the fight where spines are hitting. maybe i need to move out and meet him halfway and not worry about spines.

what is a good drone number to stop at (approx. of course)? i try to be on at least 3 bases asap when i see a toss FE, and a 4th soon after. maybe drone til 8-9 minutes and then start pumping units as much as possible?

another thing i am unsure about is how many corrupters to get. most toss push when they have 4+ collosus. how many corrupters do u make to fight that and still have a good enough ground army to kill the stalkers?

its probably half in my head at this point. when i see that huge stalker ball moving forward i think i just give up.

edit: gonna watch the replay in the first post where he defends zealot/cannon cheese into blink/collosus. that is what i am talking about.
ZerG~LegenD
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Sweden1179 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-20 01:09:35
November 20 2010 01:03 GMT
#72
I just watched FruitDealers games from the GSL prelims and I noticed 3 things.

1: FD used the Speedling opening in all 3 games. It is the best opening when you think you're the better player in the mid- and late game. If you don't think you are, then I agree that you're probably better off with a more Larva heavy opening in most situations.

2: In the Xel'Naga game he delayed Lair and did a 2 base 5 Roach push and managed to kill all the Protoss' Sentrys. However, the did a weird 3 Hatch follow up and lost to a 6 Gate. This might have potential.

3: In the Metalopolis game he played just like I described, but researched burrow. And man, he absolutely demolished that 8:30 min push. Burrow is awesome against Forcefield and if he has enough units to put pressure on you he won't have observers yet. I can really recommend Burrow if you suspect he will throw a hellish 8:30-10 min push at you.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day
TALegion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1187 Posts
November 20 2010 01:15 GMT
#73
Best post I've ever read entirely...
A person willing to die for a cause is a hero. A person willing to kill for a cause is a madman
BrodiaQ
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States892 Posts
November 20 2010 01:31 GMT
#74
One of the best guides I've seen. Very informative and extremely well put together. Good job!
"So come right up and let me squash your creativity with my iron fist of conservative play."--Nony
Devilldog
Profile Joined October 2010
United States69 Posts
November 20 2010 01:33 GMT
#75
Very interesting guide, the best part of it is its extremely detailed. <3
EsMors
Profile Joined August 2010
53 Posts
November 20 2010 01:42 GMT
#76
Thank you so much for this!
infestation123
Profile Joined November 2010
United States5 Posts
November 20 2010 01:46 GMT
#77
awesome job haven't finished it yet but its really going to help me with transitions in mid and late Game once again great job
don't fuck with a smurf
flodeskum
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1267 Posts
November 20 2010 01:50 GMT
#78
I notice that the date of this guide just happens to coincide with a noticeable increase in the exact builds described here. I was wondering why all those zergs suddenly started going roach/hydra.

And it had to come just as was getting really good at dealing with mutaling : (
IdrA: " my fans are kinda retarded"
BnK
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States538 Posts
November 20 2010 05:42 GMT
#79
On November 20 2010 10:03 ZerG~LegenD wrote:
1: FD used the Speedling opening in all 3 games. It is the best opening when you think you're the better player in the mid- and late game.

I dont know if i'm a better player in mid-late game or not. can you elaborate?
tchan
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia121 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-20 06:48:40
November 20 2010 06:48 GMT
#80
Please delete this, Plexa :p

but great guide, laddering against z will be even more annoying than usual in the next couple of weeks
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 39m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE125
Nina 118
Nathanias 51
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16150
Artosis 323
White-Ra 316
ToSsGirL 27
Dota 2
monkeys_forever312
NeuroSwarm126
League of Legends
Doublelift3980
Counter-Strike
fl0m1347
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox630
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1893
Liquid`Hasu1521
Trikslyr56
Other Games
summit1g6631
Grubby3387
ArmadaUGS1119
shahzam558
C9.Mang0271
JimRising 228
Mew2King60
ZombieGrub60
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream125
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 35
• davetesta25
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 45
• Azhi_Dahaki26
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1129
• Scarra1031
• Shiphtur278
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
11h 39m
OSC
14h 39m
Stellar Fest
14h 39m
OSC
1d 1h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.