• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:54
CEST 13:54
KST 20:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9867 users

[G]TvZ Marine/Raven - Page 32

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 30 31 32 33 34 41 Next All
AcidReniX
Profile Joined January 2008
United Kingdom66 Posts
November 24 2010 12:28 GMT
#621
I've been doing a mass Raven build since beta. Infact, it's the only build I _ever_ run against zerg because of it's effectiveness. I don't use the marines as part of a force, they are simply for defensive measures and once enough have been massed, they can push out to an expansion (with Hellions too) while your Ravens are elsewhere.

You say corruptors are a problem, but I laugh at zerg's who try to use corruptors against my Raven army. Corruptors do bad damage against light units, and Ravens are light. Corruptors can't shoot through PDD and they attack quite slowely which increases PDD's effectiveness. Corruptors still get stomped by auto turrets.

I'll write up my full Raven build later as it highly differs from this one, but this does look quite good.
wasd
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
November 24 2010 12:45 GMT
#622
On November 24 2010 15:23 Griffith` wrote:
I find roach+infestor to be a goddamn nightmare against this, infestors will instagib your marines, and roaches will last from early to late game. I've been needing to transition to banshee/viking against this combination.


I suppose. I always keep them spread when they are a sitting around and zone with tanks. I find that mass speedling/baneling/infestor is more effective than this. Though tanks and banshees are both fairly good support units against this composition.
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
Pl4t0
Profile Joined August 2010
United States103 Posts
November 25 2010 15:03 GMT
#623
Bump. This thread is too good to fall past the 3rd page.
"Chess is the greatest game ever made, but Starcraft is a worthy successor."
Almania
Profile Joined September 2010
145 Posts
November 27 2010 03:22 GMT
#624
On November 24 2010 21:28 AcidReniX wrote:
I don't use the marines as part of a force, they are simply for defensive measures and once enough have been massed, they can push out to an expansion (with Hellions too) while your Ravens are elsewhere.


I've been doing the same, and continue to wonder at what level does this become ineffective? At what level is the whole continual marine harrass required?
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
November 27 2010 03:40 GMT
#625
It seems around ~2000 diamond a few weeks ago when sitting on your duff fails but who knows where it is now.
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
Reki
Profile Joined August 2010
Philippines89 Posts
November 27 2010 04:02 GMT
#626
On November 27 2010 12:22 Almania wrote:I've been doing the same, and continue to wonder at what level does this become ineffective? At what level is the whole continual marine harrass required?

marine + hellion is cool and all but after playing around with both openers, I'm pretty convinced that continual marine harass forces more larvae to be spent. Proof of this is when I would check my replays and compare the number of my scvs vs the number of drones.

...convinced ever since page 5 of this thread.
statikg
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada930 Posts
November 27 2010 04:33 GMT
#627
I am starting to come to the opinion that the FE is the wrong way to go about this build. As I have been using this build at higher and higher levels the main problem is that my first attack just gets crushed by a big ball of banelings/zerglings or that mass zergling pressure has really been successful at killing all my scvs/marine at my expansion before I have a big enough marine ball. I think the key to this strategy is really to keep the number of units the zerg has to a minimum. You can build up a ball of about 25 marines + stim MUCH faster if you forgo the FE and just do the expand as your first ball moves out.

The main advantages of this build are in the constant pressure and i don't think the pressure comes fast enough if your worrying about expanding so early in the game. Even the 1 or 2 minutes that a FE delays you is a HUGE difference in this strategy because at the high levels its SO SO FRAGILE. If your first push gets wasted easily by banelings then its basically over. You really need to at least nearly wipe out his entire force with your first push or else his lings will be in your expansion wtf pwning your scvs and you will never be able to recover from that. Also if you see him starting to spread creep SCAN THAT and shut it down early, it makes a huge difference because once the creep spread really gets going you are in big trouble and that big trouble will come before ravens.

I'm sorry this advice doesnt really explain well why I believe the FE doesn't work well but just trust that I have executed this strategy many many times over the last month and I can just feel that this is right.
kosai
Profile Joined August 2010
20 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-27 16:54:56
November 27 2010 16:54 GMT
#628
statikg: The point of this build is not to 'not die in 1st push', not even 'do much damage with that 1st push'. its just 'shit your pants and build lings instead of drones, also, secure my expansion'. Of course, in some cases it's propably better to 1 base 1st push (steppes maybe? close spots metalopolis?) but you need that cc anyways.
about timings: i ussually have enough rines (like 15) to attack in between the 'scary push' with stim. what i do with my army: first 3 marines go map control (kill lings, overlords), 15 marines push (they die, but they force Z to make lings or roaches, no matter what), stim almost finishes and there are almost 20 rines ready. another way to do it is to go for combat shield instead of stim and push once (instead of while waiting for stim and then with stim) with already upped rines (shield takes almost half of stims time to research).
the funny thing is, when Z see me go fast expand, they ussually go for quick bling bust or rr. sometimes i lose (i have a hole in my wall), but when you manage to kill off that attack, and put down more barracks and cc in your base in the meantime, Z is just screwed - when i get to his base with my marines, therere like 5 drones at his nat.
iAmJeffReY
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4262 Posts
November 27 2010 17:08 GMT
#629
..Shield only takes 30 seconds less. I personally always go stim first, as I feel I can cause more damage with studder stepping stimmed marines, than having 10hp more on each.

If you have a map with a small choke, ie shakuras, LT, Block it with 3 barracks. You can delay that incoming rebound sling bling attack after they shat on your army.

I've found zergs over prepare banelings, which can be a very disadvantageous situation when you lose your army and they just come check you with a bust, that ends up being game ending. I lose to 1 base zergs more than I lose to 3 base zerg.

I do normal 10 supply 12 rax 14 rax 16 oc 16 supply 27/28 CC, then if marine push failed, lift supply, and double gas. I find that rebounds rather nicely, giving me time to another rax or two and fac down to push out again with marine tank. The best army comp I've ever used was marine tank hellion medic, as it tore through anything at all. You have to be aware of late game tech changes though, as ultras and broodlords make marines retardedly easy to kill
Unbiased biased terran abuser Jeffrey. Sorry for the rage, friend!
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
November 27 2010 17:18 GMT
#630
Stim is definitely better these days for dodging banelings and running away. Just don't abuse it and have nothing but half health marines left over.

I don't feel that late game problem is broodlords or utlras on their own, its the potentially high infestor/ultra combo with ling and bling support that really demolish marine/tank positions and pushes.
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
iAmJeffReY
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4262 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-27 17:29:06
November 27 2010 17:22 GMT
#631
I've never seen infestor + ultras. Ever. I see ultra sling roach. Broodlord sling roach. Sling bling infestor. Infestor roach bling. Just a bit gas intensive to do a little infestor/ultra/sling/bling and god forbid they have upgrades.

That's like 6 refineries + worth of gas build up all game.

What else I find is ironic, is the lose everything to ultras in the main post. I think we can agree thors shit all over ultras when you battle in correct spots. 78 or so a volley? Easy to FF down ultras in my mind. I love seeing ultras. I switch all my rax to marauders from marines, and go once I feel I have enough. The game always ends after a marauder thor vs ultra transition.
Unbiased biased terran abuser Jeffrey. Sorry for the rage, friend!
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
November 27 2010 17:52 GMT
#632
It really depends on what position you end up in late game but most of the times I encounter ultras either Zerg could have won in any way he wanted to or he was going to lose anyway and it was out of desperation.

Yes, Thors are great and probably the most reliable endgame but that assumes you have enough time to transition into a mass Thor ball. I still like my mass Marine/Raven with big late game tank/hellion lines. :-\
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
iAmJeffReY
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4262 Posts
November 27 2010 18:50 GMT
#633
On November 28 2010 02:52 Antisocialmunky wrote:
It really depends on what position you end up in late game but most of the times I encounter ultras either Zerg could have won in any way he wanted to or he was going to lose anyway and it was out of desperation.

Yes, Thors are great and probably the most reliable endgame but that assumes you have enough time to transition into a mass Thor ball. I still like my mass Marine/Raven with big late game tank/hellion lines. :-\

Don't always need a mass thor ball. If you have 2 factories, you can churn out 2-4 thors to be some form of moving blockade, easily.

I always find time and minerals *generally* to transition into thors when I need to. Remember barracks have 1000 health, +2 armor with upgrade, and provide GREAT walls to buy time.
Unbiased biased terran abuser Jeffrey. Sorry for the rage, friend!
kor0na
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden28 Posts
December 01 2010 15:24 GMT
#634
I've been toying a bit with this style of play and the aggressive FE build by KME and I want to start using it in my TvZ, as I think it has the potential to not only be effective but also loads of fun. I do have a couple of questions though:

Roughly at what time do you want to be doing your marine + raven push? The one that's listed as attacking Zergs third. I tend to be moving out somewhere right after the 11 minute mark, which feels as if it's a bit late?

What would be a good time to take a third? I do get a bunch of excess minerals around the time when I push out with my initial raven, so economically that would make sense to me I guess.
dragonsuper
Profile Joined October 2010
Liechtenstein222 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-01 15:35:04
December 01 2010 15:32 GMT
#635
.
lol
kusu
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden440 Posts
December 05 2010 18:15 GMT
#636
This build might be even better with the upcoming patch since you won't be able to FG raven harrass anymore;)

nice!
Expa bör man annars dör man! A game withouth me, is a game not worth winning!
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
December 05 2010 21:37 GMT
#637
@The Viking Kor0na - 11 Minutes is fine for your 2nd/3rd push unless you see an opening earlier where Zerg is droning hard.

@The Viking Kusu - The next patch will be really good because you can pop Infestors with banshees and Zerg will have to go Muta. :DDD
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
DirtMerchant
Profile Joined September 2010
United States14 Posts
December 09 2010 03:24 GMT
#638
FG nerf was redacted, along with the bunker buff. Back to the old TvZ....
"When all else fails, use fire."
Korwaque
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany14 Posts
December 09 2010 11:48 GMT
#639
I have used this build too less to critisize it but it is definately not my style of play and I don't see the raven to be very very useful at all, especialy since turrets dont work like FF and dont push units aside. Its too micro intensive for a player of my skill (high plat) and seems mean towards zerg players lolz
"You grow up the day you have your first real laugh - at yourself" Ethel Barrymore
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
December 09 2010 13:41 GMT
#640
You should try the 2 Rax FE into Marine Tank. Playing a macro based game should help you get into Diamond.
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
Prev 1 30 31 32 33 34 41 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
WardiTV377
Rex82
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko361
ProTech132
Rex 82
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31988
Hyuk 1095
Soma 787
Jaedong 708
actioN 583
Horang2 381
Larva 362
Soulkey 335
BeSt 312
Mini 255
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 221
910 215
Stork 212
Light 203
Last 184
Snow 153
ggaemo 102
Pusan 92
Rush 92
ZerO 75
Killer 50
Mind 48
Mong 38
Creator 37
Shinee 34
hero 31
Bale 25
Sharp 25
Free 23
sorry 22
HiyA 16
yabsab 15
Noble 11
Sacsri 10
Dota 2
Gorgc7765
Dendi393
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1535
markeloff88
kRYSTAL_57
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2808
Khaldor1135
Other Games
gofns30487
singsing1621
XBOCT323
B2W.Neo304
Pyrionflax269
DeMusliM231
Mew2King92
ArmadaUGS34
byalli14
ZerO(Twitch)8
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream159
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 49
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH318
• StrangeGG 36
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1388
Other Games
• WagamamaTV178
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
1h 6m
The PondCast
22h 6m
OSC
1d 1h
Stellar Fest
1d 1h
OSC
1d 12h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.