• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:16
CEST 10:16
KST 17:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9233 users

[G]TvZ Marine/Raven - Page 14

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 41 Next All
Shockk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany2269 Posts
October 30 2010 16:13 GMT
#261
On October 31 2010 01:04 ninjamyst wrote:
Shock, in the first game how did you know he was going mutas? You had turrets all around before he even started a spire. And you never scanned the spire either? Was it just from the fact that you only saw speedlings so you assume he will go muta/ling?


I always build turrets against zerg, even without checking whether there's in fact a spire. The number of zerg players I encounter that don't at least try to go mutas is so small that it's usually well invested minerals.
te3l
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada126 Posts
October 31 2010 02:05 GMT
#262
1300 diamond here so I know my opinion doesnt really matter but I really like this build. They key to winning vs any zerg ground forces that arent banelings is to repeatedly trade armies and constantly denying expo's from the zerg.

I have one problem against muta/bling's. Can anyone give me tips on how to micro better? I can't seem to split my marines fast enough or run them one by one into banelings.
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
October 31 2010 02:10 GMT
#263
That is difficult, you're going to have to use atleast 3 groups and just split. The easiest way to to control group them. You can also stagger them so you have a small clump infront with a gap, and another gap, and another small group behind that and another grap with small group behind that.

You really need good APM and reaction time.. :-\
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-31 02:28:49
October 31 2010 02:23 GMT
#264
On October 31 2010 11:05 te3l wrote:
1300 diamond here so I know my opinion doesnt really matter but I really like this build. They key to winning vs any zerg ground forces that arent banelings is to repeatedly trade armies and constantly denying expo's from the zerg.

I have one problem against muta/bling's. Can anyone give me tips on how to micro better? I can't seem to split my marines fast enough or run them one by one into banelings.

For marine control, the way I find easiest is to not have a control group at all. have them all selected (there you can use a control group obviously), then move them, select 3/4th of them, move them somewhere else, once again select (with mouse by draging a selection around) 3/4th or half of them, move, and again and again until you have a smal group not worth microing.
If you're really fast you can make control groups on the fly, but that's too hard for me so I just mouse select everything, once used to it it's easy.
Don't forget that the more effective you are in marine micro, the better this build with work because you increase the balance of the marine/gaz+larva trade more and more in your favor along with your increase in micro effectiveness.

Make some practice marine control session against an easy CPU or unit tester, and you will be used to it very fast and become more and more proficient and effective with it. Try to have like 60 marines and split them in smallest possible groups the fastest you can.
LegendLength
Profile Joined October 2010
19 Posts
October 31 2010 04:46 GMT
#265
On October 28 2010 00:18 MrCon wrote:
You have to register (for free) to watch the first game, but you have to buy a premium account to see the second/third game. But I guess you can find them too for free on sites like http://sc2.plu.cn/


I used google translate to find replays on that site. Had a chuckle at this comment on the front page:

In fact, the Air Force is very simple, I made the n-control tower, control of the four full-time imperial dragon and parasitic insects, and that they only made the Japanese boats and medical (medical boat to treat the Zerg air units), queen to come out Dragon up to seduce, and then Japan and then shot up with Japan second, very simple. is a lot of trouble early, need to manually hit the roadblock. because you like the back was first hit destroyed the Zerg will drain the dog, very annoying.


I think I worked out "japanese boats" are vikings and "parasitic insects" are zerglings. But "drain the dog" is beyond me.
pat965
Profile Joined April 2009
Canada274 Posts
October 31 2010 06:15 GMT
#266
Question about the opening - I like the idea of walling off with CC and barracks. I don't like having to build the reactor as it kind of messes up my wall, even if I add depth with depots it's kind of weird.

Since KME's opening gets 50 gas for a reactor and then stops, can I just skip the refinery and build a second barracks instead? Then, after my CC I'd build the refinery and start mining gas.

I'm really paranoid about my walls, and I realize if zerg scouts it he'll realize something fishy is going on - but I'm willing to accept that, especially since he'll likely see my CC anyways.
hi
PROJECTILE
Profile Joined April 2010
United States226 Posts
October 31 2010 06:38 GMT
#267
I have a question about dealing with baneling busts, particularly off a fake FE (as in, they get a fast second hatch at natural then go straight to drone cut to bling bust). What kind of walloffs/structures are you getting? Do you recommend walling off with your CC? add a single bunker? double rax / 1 depot wall-off? I can hold it off easily, but I'm always a little uncomfortable on when to expand if I see them getting a lot of early lings. Obviously it means they aren't droning as hard as they could, but I find it hard to move out of my base at the beginning of the game. Once I get the FE down and start laying down bunkers, I obviously transition just fine into mass marines, but if they do show a lot of lings early (implying early bling bust), when do you finally move out to grab your expansion?
Looking for high diamond+ advice only, thanks.
noveyak
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States35 Posts
October 31 2010 09:37 GMT
#268
On October 31 2010 15:38 PROJECTILE wrote:
I have a question about dealing with baneling busts, particularly off a fake FE (as in, they get a fast second hatch at natural then go straight to drone cut to bling bust). What kind of walloffs/structures are you getting? Do you recommend walling off with your CC? add a single bunker? double rax / 1 depot wall-off? I can hold it off easily, but I'm always a little uncomfortable on when to expand if I see them getting a lot of early lings. Obviously it means they aren't droning as hard as they could, but I find it hard to move out of my base at the beginning of the game. Once I get the FE down and start laying down bunkers, I obviously transition just fine into mass marines, but if they do show a lot of lings early (implying early bling bust), when do you finally move out to grab your expansion?
Looking for high diamond+ advice only, thanks.


In terms of walling off, you really wall with what you have. This build is quite dynamic and a lot of people reach the point of marine + raven a lot of different ways (early 2nd rax, 1 - 1 -1, etc.) Its also hard for me to know exactly when this bust is coming, but in general you will probably have a barracks and a factory at this point with a third production building at least done or in progress. You are right to suspect a bust if you see a very high number of lings. If you suspect a bust you immediately lift all your production to your wall. It generally takes 3 non supply buildings too wall off a ramp or so. If you dont have them, then quickly drop a bunker behind the vulnerable supply depot (I am assuming you wall supply, rax, supply)

In regards to your second question, you really just grab the expansion when you feel safe. You can normally do this by building 2 bunkers at your expo before landing the CC you built in base. If they are constantly camping the expo, or if for some reason you dont feel secure normally baneling busts set them back a bit on tech so I would get a banshee first out of your starport to clear a way for your expo and also to harass their mineral line.
Strajder
Profile Joined August 2010
60 Posts
October 31 2010 10:04 GMT
#269
On October 31 2010 11:05 te3l wrote:
I have one problem against muta/bling's. Can anyone give me tips on how to micro better? I can't seem to split my marines fast enough or run them one by one into banelings.


I am only Gold, so please excuse me for giving advice to you, but I think that practicing marine spread micro in the Editor is a small price to pay for this awesome build. I am absolutely going to practice the hell out of it. What's even better, it even works amazingly well in team games! Though Feedback/Storm of HTs can shut it down pretty damn good. But I'm not complaining about it. ^^

Once again, big thanks to Antisocialmunky! :D
Succsex Dragon #1 GM 2013
xCivx
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada1 Post
October 31 2010 10:09 GMT
#270
I was at 1650~ earlier tonight and decided to go on a marathon after 2~ weeks of mia... out of the 26 games I played today about 16-18 of them were zergs. I won all but 2 of the TvZs and am now in the 1930's~. This is a really really good TvZ build. I recommend it a lot.

BTW:
First game I lost was against a ling/roach, because I forgot to research stim
2nd game was against a 2k~ zerg where he went 2base sling all in on my expo
3rd game was vs a guy I beat in a game before.. he adapted and went mass baneling/ling all-in

This build really punishes you if you aren't on the ball the whole time!
cilinder007
Profile Joined August 2010
Slovenia7251 Posts
October 31 2010 10:56 GMT
#271
What do you do when someone transitions into infestor hydra ?
nalgene
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada2153 Posts
October 31 2010 11:00 GMT
#272
Keep doing the same thing even up to ultras
Year 2500 Greater Israel ( Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Gaza Strip, West Bank, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen )
ktffang
Profile Joined July 2009
United States120 Posts
October 31 2010 11:34 GMT
#273
this build sounds fun but feeeeeeeeeeeels so fragile. Kinda similar to SK in bw.
7 times dowm, 8 times up
Black Gun
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Germany4482 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-31 12:09:54
October 31 2010 12:03 GMT
#274
a little question: how crucial is good marine micro for this build? can it be done by some high platinum/low diamond guy with quite good macro but rather bad micro?

im just asking because the replays dont really show how strong the impact of micro is on the effectiveness of this strategy.
"What am I supposed to do against this?" - "Lose!" :-]
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-31 13:08:12
October 31 2010 12:58 GMT
#275
On October 31 2010 15:15 pat965 wrote:
Question about the opening - I like the idea of walling off with CC and barracks. I don't like having to build the reactor as it kind of messes up my wall, even if I add depth with depots it's kind of weird.

Since KME's opening gets 50 gas for a reactor and then stops, can I just skip the refinery and build a second barracks instead? Then, after my CC I'd build the refinery and start mining gas.

I'm really paranoid about my walls, and I realize if zerg scouts it he'll realize something fishy is going on - but I'm willing to accept that, especially since he'll likely see my CC anyways.


You can try the second opening if you like. Its my somewhat more defensive with 2 rax CC then double gas. I don't think it is as good as KME's since you can't pressure zerg's natural expo much.

On October 31 2010 15:38 PROJECTILE wrote:
I have a question about dealing with baneling busts, particularly off a fake FE (as in, they get a fast second hatch at natural then go straight to drone cut to bling bust). What kind of walloffs/structures are you getting? Do you recommend walling off with your CC? add a single bunker? double rax / 1 depot wall-off? I can hold it off easily, but I'm always a little uncomfortable on when to expand if I see them getting a lot of early lings. Obviously it means they aren't droning as hard as they could, but I find it hard to move out of my base at the beginning of the game. Once I get the FE down and start laying down bunkers, I obviously transition just fine into mass marines, but if they do show a lot of lings early (implying early bling bust), when do you finally move out to grab your expansion?
Looking for high diamond+ advice only, thanks.


I actually haven't run into this but I would suspect that the major part of the response really depends on how well you scout. You just need to see it in time and act accordingly with whatever you feel like like floating extra barracks to the wall. As for moving out. You could get a tank with siege to expand and just mule your main minerals. T isn't that badly behind if they can't float their CC out.

On October 31 2010 21:03 Black Gun wrote:
a little question: how crucial is good marine micro for this build? can it be done by some high platinum/low diamond guy with quite good macro but rather bad micro?

im just asking because the replays dont really show how strong the impact of micro is on the effectiveness of this strategy.


No one really has the micro tool set for this build yet except for basic baneling micro. The big part of this build is constant macro so get that down first if you are learning this build. You may also want to work on your early game scouting. You can do Day[9]'s practice routine of moving an SCV around the middle of LT. As for the marine control, you can literally A-move your giant marine balls and only micro your ravens at lower levels.


BTW - There are many things that this guide still needs. It needs a decision tree for how to respond to zerg. It needs a guide for marine/baneling micro. I also needs a guide for raven use/turret placement. If anyone has reps or advice that can help, feel free to post. I'm also looking for reps preferably in the 1500+ Diamond range.
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
Shockk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany2269 Posts
October 31 2010 13:46 GMT
#276
I do have a tip regarding the raven micro. This may be old news for many players, but it did help me once I noticed it.

You're probably moving your ravens around with the rest of the army or as a separate group, and once you want to start setting up turrets (or PDD/HSM), you'll probably do so by keeping Shift pressed to quickly drop multiple turrets from multiple ravens. However, this will queue the turrets (or the PDD, or the HSM) up behind the raven's current move command - first, they'll move to where ever they were going in the first place, then they'll drop turrets.

This has lost me countless battles before I actually noticed it; before I just wondered why my ravens weren't doing what I told them. So if you're about to do something with ravens, either issue a stop command or move-click them to where they are at that moment so that they stop and can directly start deploying stuff.
nalgene
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada2153 Posts
October 31 2010 14:01 GMT
#277
Durable materials( extends auto-turret duration to 240 seconds from 180 ) research when players get 3rd base seems good?

and the +1 range upgrade for auto-turrets?
Year 2500 Greater Israel ( Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Gaza Strip, West Bank, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen )
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
October 31 2010 14:39 GMT
#278
On October 31 2010 23:01 nalgene wrote:
Durable materials( extends auto-turret duration to 240 seconds from 180 ) research when players get 3rd base seems good?

and the +1 range upgrade for auto-turrets?

of course !
The +2 building armor and the +1 turret range are making a huge difference against mutas, and +2 armors helps your (auto)turrets a lot against lings.
cilinder007
Profile Joined August 2010
Slovenia7251 Posts
October 31 2010 15:42 GMT
#279
Yea I think the main thing with this style is microing your marines against the banelings, cause most of the time when they see you going mass marine they'll just go mass baneling infestor which is the toughest combination to deal with and you cant just a-move your marines you have to realy have a good split
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-31 15:58:12
October 31 2010 15:49 GMT
#280
The thing with mass baneling/infestor is that he has no response for ravens and I always tend to get a massive raven ball. Z can fungal them but doesn't have anything good way of killing them. Infested Terrans are slow to pop and weak. Ravens can also cast while fungal so they can throw down auto turrets to keep infestors away. Additionally Z cannot pressure you because all he has are speedlings, blings, and infestors. If you are macroing effectively and keeping your ravens alive, then your raven numbers will get out of control and you will just have another marine ball up by the time your previous one is dead.

I think KME played a similar strategy on the Lost Temple towards the end of his first rep pack.
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 41 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 766
GuemChi 592
Leta 321
BeSt 217
Soma 176
Hyun 159
firebathero 127
Mong 76
910 51
sSak 38
[ Show more ]
Bale 25
PianO 23
yabsab 21
ZergMaN 19
HiyA 17
Noble 9
Shine 8
Dota 2
febbydoto14
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss575
ceh9516
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King413
Other Games
summit1g7644
olofmeister846
JimRising 479
Happy342
KnowMe55
Trikslyr25
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick430
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast33
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Stunt430
• Jankos293
Other Games
• Shiphtur372
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
2h 44m
Patches Events
7h 44m
The PondCast
1d 1h
INu's Battles
1d 2h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.