• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:06
CEST 15:06
KST 22:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6934 users

[G]TvZ Marine/Raven - Page 13

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 41 Next All
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-29 13:45:42
October 29 2010 13:42 GMT
#241
Wow, I just got around to seeing FauxBoxer vs FruitDealer G1, it is the same rax rax opening as my 'conservative' build.

Depot
Rax
Rax
CC
Double Gas
3+4 Rax

Except he gets double tech lab for fast upgrades. :D
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
kme
Profile Joined March 2010
Serbia176 Posts
October 29 2010 15:00 GMT
#242
Watch the game 2 :D. link
micjmac
Profile Joined September 2010
42 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-29 15:23:38
October 29 2010 15:21 GMT
#243
Yesterday I played against a zerg who did a FE build. I expected him to drone hard, but what he in fact did was fake me out. After I watched the replay, I realized that he stayed on 2 bases and prepared a big baneling bust with tons of speedlings. Scouting is definitely key, esp. if you play in platinum where cheese is at a premium. I'll be sure to keep tabs on drone count from now on. I'm leaning towards KME's initial tank production, because they will definitely help against zergs who stay on 1 or 2 bases and sacrifice economy for an aggressive playstyle. A blue flame hellion drop could also be very successful if timed correctly against such aggression I would assume.
Black Gun
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Germany4482 Posts
October 29 2010 15:32 GMT
#244
On October 29 2010 22:17 itsMAHVELbaybee wrote:
IMmvp's game against oGsZenio showed some incredible marine spread and micro in game 1 on Jungle Basin during GSL season 2 ro32, only backed up with a few tanks and being very marine heavy. Good example of how Terrans can deal with 1a banelings.



that style of play heavily relies on micro of such a supreme quality that it will always stay out of reach for the majority of us.


basically the core message of the recent gsl games and of this thread is that going very marine heavy into a war of attrition against zerg is the way to counter their macro advantage. what remains to be discussed further imho is how to optimally spend the gas. i personally am not convinced that mass raven is the best answer.
"What am I supposed to do against this?" - "Lose!" :-]
Kryptix
Profile Joined August 2010
United States138 Posts
October 29 2010 15:50 GMT
#245
Whats better than ravens though? mass bc + viking? Ravens are great in every matchup so having 10 will never hurt...
Black Gun
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Germany4482 Posts
October 29 2010 16:04 GMT
#246
On October 30 2010 00:50 Kryptix wrote:
Whats better than ravens though? mass bc + viking? Ravens are great in every matchup so having 10 will never hurt...

i said "mass raven". ravens are great when u got a whole fleet of them, but 2 or 3 ravens wont do too much against a muta/ling/bling/infestor army. 3 tanks on the other hand can help quite a lot.

i think it might be worth to start off with marine/tank and later on start to transition into marine/mass raven.
"What am I supposed to do against this?" - "Lose!" :-]
Strajder
Profile Joined August 2010
60 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-29 16:35:46
October 29 2010 16:34 GMT
#247
Awesome build kme, I will try it tomorrow with R2D guys.

Can anyone confirm if HSMs have friendly fire or not? If they don't, then flying them into a group of Mutas and then using the HSM would be more efficient. If they are clumped up, you only need 2 HSMs.
Succsex Dragon #1 GM 2013
Kryptix
Profile Joined August 2010
United States138 Posts
October 29 2010 16:37 GMT
#248
The only problem with doing the tank version that I see is that you reduce your mobility and ability to hit hard and fast with constant pressure that this build is based on... I'd rather just double PF expand with this than go with tanks because of that... Maybe add some reactor blue flame hellions in place of some marines to soft counter baneling busts, but roaches really aren't a hard counter to mass stim marines. I just feel that its not worth sacrificing mobility for a build built around mobility...

Also, I think getting 2-4 vikings might actually be more valuable than tanks because it will force mutas to protect overlords which effectively counters roach/baneling.
-Frog-
Profile Joined February 2009
United States514 Posts
October 29 2010 16:37 GMT
#249
On October 30 2010 01:04 Black Gun wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 30 2010 00:50 Kryptix wrote:
Whats better than ravens though? mass bc + viking? Ravens are great in every matchup so having 10 will never hurt...

i said "mass raven". ravens are great when u got a whole fleet of them, but 2 or 3 ravens wont do too much against a muta/ling/bling/infestor army. 3 tanks on the other hand can help quite a lot.

i think it might be worth to start off with marine/tank and later on start to transition into marine/mass raven.


2 or 3 ravens can be very effective against zerg, being able to clear creep tumors without using scans is a HUGE advantage and shouldn't be overlooked. Ravens would be worth building even if they had no abilities other than detection simply for their creep controlling power.

In low numbers auto-turrets can still be effective, especially if you can throw them down in front of the lings/blings.
powered by coffee, driven by hate.
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
October 29 2010 16:44 GMT
#250
On October 30 2010 01:34 Strajder wrote:
Awesome build kme, I will try it tomorrow with R2D guys.

Can anyone confirm if HSMs have friendly fire or not? If they don't, then flying them into a group of Mutas and then using the HSM would be more efficient. If they are clumped up, you only need 2 HSMs.

Yeah, seeker missiles deals damage to yourself too.
Senorcuidado
Profile Joined May 2010
United States700 Posts
October 29 2010 18:00 GMT
#251
On October 29 2010 12:13 apmspam wrote:
wow, I used this build. Its countered by mass hydra/baneling however very few zergs have the discipline to do that.


damn guys I guess we can't use this build because it's "countered" by hydra/baneling. Shucks.

I'm really starting to hate this word "countered". Post a replay, raise your concerns about possible reactions, but don't try it once and proclaim it to be countered by X! Odds are much higher that you made mistakes. The game is not black and white, there is no table of this countered by that countered by this. Well, there's probably some stupid strategy guide out there that has such a table but I digress.

The build leaves room for splashing tanks. While you probably don't even need them if you play well, a few tanks will do a lot of damage to both banelings and hydras. If you post a replay I bet we can find the real reason why you lost though. I doubt it had anything to do with your build getting "countered".

Sorry if I come across like a dick, that just really bugs me and it's not good for the strategy forum.
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-29 19:22:31
October 29 2010 19:14 GMT
#252
Bratok stream live right now
http://www.goodgame.ru/news.php?ocd=view&id=7562
He just used this against a zerg, a 35mn long game on metalopolis, he massed raven, even made 4 battlecruisers, with mass marines and some marauders, and mass expanding, that was a beautiful game, one of the best I saw, because the zerg was really good too.
I wish he released the replay, that was an epic game.

Ho, and usualy bratok will make a single banshee before a raven, to kill stuff, like lings standing on xelnagas, scout a little, kill tumors if he can. It fits in the build nicely.
sYstim
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada161 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-29 19:59:24
October 29 2010 19:56 GMT
#253
^ i use one banshee/no cloak too in most matchups vs a zerg. it does fit in nicely, ive been doing it lately and has been really worth it

i've used my own modified build of this and gone virtually undefeated vs 1900-2300 zergs and i jumped to 2000k rating from 1450 in a <week
i actually posted about this strat weeks ago but didn't shine much light onto it. great to see its becoming more mainstream now.
kme
Profile Joined March 2010
Serbia176 Posts
October 29 2010 20:13 GMT
#254
On October 30 2010 04:14 MrCon wrote:
Bratok stream live right now
http://www.goodgame.ru/news.php?ocd=view&id=7562
He just used this against a zerg, a 35mn long game on metalopolis, he massed raven, even made 4 battlecruisers, with mass marines and some marauders, and mass expanding, that was a beautiful game, one of the best I saw, because the zerg was really good too.
I wish he released the replay, that was an epic game.

Ho, and usualy bratok will make a single banshee before a raven, to kill stuff, like lings standing on xelnagas, scout a little, kill tumors if he can. It fits in the build nicely.

BratOK is amazing, I have been watching his stream a lot and realized that he can make any strategy work. I saw him do a mass raven strategy against terrans like 2 months ago. From then on I've been using ravens and now I win 90% of my TvTs because of them.
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-29 20:53:42
October 29 2010 20:53 GMT
#255
On October 30 2010 05:13 kme wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 30 2010 04:14 MrCon wrote:
Bratok stream live right now
http://www.goodgame.ru/news.php?ocd=view&id=7562
He just used this against a zerg, a 35mn long game on metalopolis, he massed raven, even made 4 battlecruisers, with mass marines and some marauders, and mass expanding, that was a beautiful game, one of the best I saw, because the zerg was really good too.
I wish he released the replay, that was an epic game.

Ho, and usualy bratok will make a single banshee before a raven, to kill stuff, like lings standing on xelnagas, scout a little, kill tumors if he can. It fits in the build nicely.

BratOK is amazing, I have been watching his stream a lot and realized that he can make any strategy work. I saw him do a mass raven strategy against terrans like 2 months ago. From then on I've been using ravens and now I win 90% of my TvTs because of them.

yeah, he just won a very long game against Jimpo using mass raven :D (and tanks and marines and vikings, but he had 12+ ravens)
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
October 29 2010 22:02 GMT
#256
On October 30 2010 01:37 Kryptix wrote:
The only problem with doing the tank version that I see is that you reduce your mobility and ability to hit hard and fast with constant pressure that this build is based on... I'd rather just double PF expand with this than go with tanks because of that... Maybe add some reactor blue flame hellions in place of some marines to soft counter baneling busts, but roaches really aren't a hard counter to mass stim marines. I just feel that its not worth sacrificing mobility for a build built around mobility...

Also, I think getting 2-4 vikings might actually be more valuable than tanks because it will force mutas to protect overlords which effectively counters roach/baneling.


Yeah, I'm thinking that this is a big issue with this build, Zerg's 2nd base will kick in faster most of the time and they have the ability to hit you before you get your non-stop stream of 9 rax marines fully up.
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
Strajder
Profile Joined August 2010
60 Posts
October 30 2010 10:10 GMT
#257
On October 26 2010 22:30 nihoh wrote:
IGnoreeeeeeeeeeee


Zerg tears tast so well, nom nom nom :D
Succsex Dragon #1 GM 2013
Shockk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany2269 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-30 10:55:01
October 30 2010 10:54 GMT
#258
I made marine/raven my general TvZ strategy now. While Zerg going banelings still make it difficult, I have yet to encounter a zerg player using infestors - or rather, using them well. As said many times, marauders don't make your life easier against roaches or ultralisks (but I had to try it anyway) - marines get anything done.

I found that adding some blue flame hellions from the excess minerals one gathers over time make it even easier, especially if the zerg sticks to ling/bling/hydra.

Two more games, first was against muta/ling, second against roach/ling/hydra/ultra. There's still a lot I can do better, but as a basic TvZ approach, this strategy rocks.

[image loading]
[image loading]
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-30 16:01:20
October 30 2010 13:35 GMT
#259
You guys may like to know that you can work in a 3 hellion drop by getting a medivac off your second port instead of immediately building a tech lab. Let me see if I can't get a rep of it up.

Edit: I think you might even be able to get Blue Hellions if you delay stim...

Finally, one of my reps:
http://www.filefront.com/17452525/TerranOP.SC2Replay

Okay, I finally ran into a zerg on ladder and yes you can do a hellion drop with this build quite easily and you can even get blue flame. You really do actually need stim when you do your big push with your first raven(s) if he is going for mass banelings so take that into consideration.

I think doing blue flame hellion drop might be overcommiting to it. That's a lot of resources to shell out especially if zerg isn't going the conventional muta/ling/bling and instead going bling/roaches/muta. If you do trade your armies he won't be able to do much against regular hellions roasting his drones.

General Notes:
Yes, I could have played better. I could have gone to constantly depopulate his third with hellions or even kill it(though he had like 5 drones there when I scouted). I could have also not kept dying to mutas but such is life on metalopolis and idiotic blizzard maps with tons of space around the edges. I think the main thing I could have done better was get my key upgrades. I forgot both HSM and building armor for the longest time and it didn't occur to me to build a second tech lab for stim since I skipped building armor anyway.

If you ever lose that big first raven push THAT badly and zerg goes all-in and doesn't take a fourth, you very well may end up having to go into hero hold mode... I lost the first raven push pretty badly and then the second was just complete garbage decision making and the third was jsut terrible positioning. Once I got the planetary down at the gold, Zerg couldn't do anything with his rubbish econ. To be quite honest a more competant zerg should have won that after the third push failed.

Also a good demo of what you can do with the early poke in any TvZ build. 2 Ovies for 2 marines is great. You might also want to save scan for the 2nd 20 marine poke so you can kill all Z's creep tumor ends. This features a somewhat late 1st raven push because I was being bad at macro and didn't get my tech up as fast as I could. :-\ It also is a decent idea to put up some turrets if you can't kill his mutas.

Also you might want to wait to the end because about 10 HSMs go off within a 5 second period.
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
ninjamyst
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1903 Posts
October 30 2010 16:04 GMT
#260
Shock, in the first game how did you know he was going mutas? You had turrets all around before he even started a spire. And you never scanned the spire either? Was it just from the fact that you only saw speedlings so you assume he will go muta/ling?
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 41 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 963
RotterdaM474
TKL 199
SteadfastSC178
Rex112
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 474
ByuN 276
TKL 199
SteadfastSC 178
Rex 112
Codebar 30
CosmosSc2 23
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 37142
Shuttle 2264
Jaedong 941
Horang2 805
Bisu 672
Soulkey 487
Mini 360
Stork 345
EffOrt 296
Larva 243
[ Show more ]
actioN 241
BeSt 237
Soma 216
Snow 168
ZerO 154
Last 151
Rush 151
Mong 142
firebathero 142
Zeus 93
Free 93
910 79
sorry 70
Mind 66
Hyun 66
Sharp 56
Pusan 51
PianO 51
hero 47
Shinee 40
Yoon 39
Shine 36
JYJ 32
Bale 27
Sexy 25
Aegong 19
ToSsGirL 19
Hm[arnc] 17
HiyA 17
scan(afreeca) 12
Terrorterran 12
Sacsri 11
Noble 9
Icarus 5
Dota 2
Gorgc3901
Dendi1134
canceldota69
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1191
edward180
fl0m57
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King200
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes499
Lowko303
Other Games
gofns77999
singsing2312
B2W.Neo320
hiko290
DeMusliM216
Pyrionflax179
Livibee168
Liquid`VortiX62
QueenE55
Trikslyr37
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1501
Other Games
BasetradeTV188
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH119
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV466
League of Legends
• Nemesis1486
• Jankos1328
• TFBlade361
Other Games
• Shiphtur631
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 54m
The PondCast
20h 54m
INu's Battles
21h 54m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.