• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:45
CEST 07:45
KST 14:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8784 users

[G] 5 Roach Rush: early game without the all-in - Page 37

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 35 36 37 38 39 41 Next All
Undercroft
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom166 Posts
October 09 2010 08:11 GMT
#721
put them back on gas once you've finished with the attack (ie not making any more lings and swapped back to drone production). Personally though i only pull 2 drones off gas. It lets me get some gas income in for a quicker lair or quick +1melee for when i stop the attack.

I take my 2nd gas when my lair is halfway done. I'll take expo gas when i feel i need more gas (usually once my t2 tech building is done or nearly done).

In general though unless you're going for super super fast mutas you grab your 2nd gas sometime while your lair is building. Expo gas is a little tricker since you need to get a feel for it, but around the time your den/spire/pit is going up usually works. The reason 5RR pulls drones off gas is because the mineral income actually allows you to keep up with the enemy mineral income despite a usually lower worker count (since they have guys in gas), which means you can grab the expo and pump reinforcement lings
Our dronessssss are under attaahck!!
ZaneZaneZane
Profile Joined August 2010
United States68 Posts
October 11 2010 00:26 GMT
#722
This will be SOOOOOO good after the next patch!
ryanAnger
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States838 Posts
October 11 2010 00:38 GMT
#723
Does anyone have any replays of this since the last patch? I'd prefer to not have to log out and in every time I want to watch one.
On my way...
Reuental
Profile Joined July 2009
United States457 Posts
October 11 2010 00:39 GMT
#724
On October 09 2010 09:50 cosmo.6792 wrote:
Typical Zerg in ZvP will wait until Supply 15 to get gas. Or maybe even after the fast expansion.


The standard at this point and time is 14 gas 13/14 pool.
I'm a Crab made of men.
Xenom73
Profile Joined October 2010
United States26 Posts
October 11 2010 02:30 GMT
#725
Fistdantilus, thank you for this build. Its much better than the roach rush build I used back in beta. - I went 5:0 on my placements for 1v1 and got hotshot, using this build all 5 times. Only in 1 game did I even have to move on past the first push.
Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright.
smegged
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia213 Posts
October 11 2010 02:38 GMT
#726
has anyone tried a double gas steal vs protoss combined with this strategy (though obviously delaying the roaches by a small amount)?

It seems as though it would be a good way to force more zealots in the early game, which this build counters.
"I'm usually happy when I can see Dark Templar, Its when I can't see them that I get angry." - Altar
skypig
Profile Joined November 2009
United States237 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-11 02:50:13
October 11 2010 02:46 GMT
#727
On October 11 2010 11:38 smegged wrote:
has anyone tried a double gas steal vs protoss combined with this strategy (though obviously delaying the roaches by a small amount)?

It seems as though it would be a good way to force more zealots in the early game, which this build counters.



That would be really effective if you could pull it off and still have enough minerals and gas to morph the 5 roaches upon completion of the Roach Warren...as it is, if you execute the 5RR correctly, the ONLY way that Protoss can stop it is with stalkers...zealots die too easily to basic roach micro. A double gas steal would delay stalkers long enough for your roaches to bust the wall, at least. I think you could actually have the 5 roaches out just as fast if you cut some zerglings and drones and save the money for the queen and roach warren...your economy will be much weaker, and you won't have zerglings to chase off the probe, but it shouldn't matter with the gas steal because even if they see it coming, they can't do anything about it...maybe they could go mass cannons, but I'm not sure if they'd have the time/money to pull it off. I'm gonna try this against the comp and see if I can come up with a viable double-gas steal version of the 5RR; if it works it'll be too good to be true.
Sirion
Profile Joined August 2010
131 Posts
October 11 2010 08:45 GMT
#728
If you want to do a double gas steal, I guess you should take your own gas later and skip zergling speed. As the idea is to fight only zealots, it is not that important anyway. Of course once the game progresses past the early aggression the toss will focus on stalkers/immortals so a backtech to zerglings is advised afterwards.

A rough calculation shows that a double gas steal sets you back about 400 minerals and 2 drones when your roaches are out, by skipping speed and taking gas later you save a bit more than 200, so you are still behind compared to the normal build. If you do a lot of damage with the roaches it is ok I guess, for sure you will not run into forcefields or a lot of stalkers.
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
October 11 2010 08:49 GMT
#729
Vs a double gas-steal you'll just cannon-expand, so you need to make sure you can kill that.
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
nihoh
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Australia978 Posts
October 11 2010 09:01 GMT
#730
I've been doing double injection and pushing against terran. I've been trying to feint an expo by sending a drone out to my expo area, while saving larvae and not building the warren til a bit later, then making 10 roaches at once, it's been going pretty good. Everytime I do this, the T appears out of his base with 10 marines and 4 hellions trying to do a timing push or smoething.
Dont look at the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.
terr13
Profile Joined April 2007
United States298 Posts
October 11 2010 09:16 GMT
#731
Just curious, what's the standard for this build nowadays, I see a lot of different versions popping up every couple pages. I haven't really tried this build myself, since I usually try to play more standard on ladder, but it seems like an interesting build to pull out every once in awhile. Overall, it seems very solid, although you can be at slight disadvantages at certain points in the game. I think if a Terran wastes a scan to see your roach warren morphing in, you can just plop down a FE, and mass speedlings, and transition into the midgame without any roaches.
Tabularasa
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany116 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-11 11:25:35
October 11 2010 11:16 GMT
#732
I've been doing the following BO:

+ Show Spoiler +
9 Overlord
13 Pool
15 Extractor
15 Overlord
*wait for pool*
15 Zergling
16 Queen
Get rid of the scout with the zerglings and plant Roach Warren after at 50-70% Queen, scout enemy with the zerglings
20 Overlord
Wait for Roach Warren, make 6-7 Roaches and attack asap


Like this I actually do a 6-7 Roach Rush (depends on the Larva Timing, injecting a tiny bit later allowes for 3+4 Larvae but I'm still working on that). Second injected larvae wave goes into drones, after that I expand, get speed and +1 melee or lair, depending on what I can scout during my attack.
My goal is just to deal as much damage as I can, disrupting my enemys build order and putting pressure on him, so I can get ahead economically.

Here is a replay pack against several openings (replays named accordingly), the only ones which can really hold it off without much damage are thickly walled terrans (barracks&factory with enough units) or sentry-stalker combinations.
RR Opening vs T&P

/Edit:
Since people usually want stats before they watch replays: currently #14 Diamond with 1250 points and 118/100 Ratio on EU.
KeKeKeKeZergru..... forgot my Spawningpool :<
MorsCerta
Profile Joined October 2010
United States234 Posts
October 11 2010 15:48 GMT
#733
As I have climbed up the rankings (1158 Diamond,) the effectiveness of this against Terran has diminished. Against Protoss though I have actually experienced greater success. Many of my protoss opponents go Gate->Cyber->Robo->Gate chronoing warp tech and when I reach their base they have but 2-4 zealots and 1-2 stalkers. As far as I can tell when a protoss does this build order its a GG (or 2gate zealot). If they built a senty instead of a stalker they would probably be fine but most I have faced have only gone zealots -> stalkers. When I see this I just turn my push into an All In (don't drone pump, speedling pump), knowing that I can pretty much demolish them.

Against Terran I use it more situationaly. If I see a depot/Rax wall and only marines while poking with my lings I will go 5rr, if I see less than 3 marauders, it is an option, tho spling/bling is likely better.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/89196-1v1-terran-zerg-xelnaga-caverns#rd:undefined;markup
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/89195-1v1-protoss-zerg-jungle-basin#rd:buildorder;markup

Its not letting me upload anymore replays, saying there is an error parsing, I'll upload more when I get a chance.

If I was you then I would prolly hate on me too. http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/MorsCerta
ewswes
Profile Joined October 2010
39 Posts
October 12 2010 00:03 GMT
#734
I don't understand how this build could possibly work against a protoss with sentries force fielding the ramp and slowly picking off your roaches. All you're doing is massively delaying your econ while doing no damage to the protoss.
smegged
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia213 Posts
October 12 2010 01:40 GMT
#735
On October 11 2010 17:45 Sirion wrote:
If you want to do a double gas steal, I guess you should take your own gas later and skip zergling speed. As the idea is to fight only zealots, it is not that important anyway. Of course once the game progresses past the early aggression the toss will focus on stalkers/immortals so a backtech to zerglings is advised afterwards.

A rough calculation shows that a double gas steal sets you back about 400 minerals and 2 drones when your roaches are out, by skipping speed and taking gas later you save a bit more than 200, so you are still behind compared to the normal build. If you do a lot of damage with the roaches it is ok I guess, for sure you will not run into forcefields or a lot of stalkers.


Interesting. You either need to kill 2 more zealots/pylons than you would otherwise to break even or kill 4 probes. Still could be worth it against protoss as a lot of players will not know how to adapt well.

*sigh* I need the internet at home so I can try this.
"I'm usually happy when I can see Dark Templar, Its when I can't see them that I get angry." - Altar
Armsved
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark642 Posts
October 12 2010 01:57 GMT
#736
I have no idea how this build became popular vs terran. Its beyond horrible. I can defend it while doing 1 rax FE, reactor helion FE, banchee rush. Basicly anything. Its hilarious when I do 1 rax FE since I will get my expo up before you.
YOOO
MorsCerta
Profile Joined October 2010
United States234 Posts
October 12 2010 02:25 GMT
#737
On October 12 2010 09:03 ewswes wrote:
I don't understand how this build could possibly work against a protoss with sentries force fielding the ramp and slowly picking off your roaches. All you're doing is massively delaying your econ while doing no damage to the protoss.

Because you deny scouting, and the max amount of sentries a toss could have out is 1, especially a toss going warp into robo. If they don't know its coming and I know their composition, its not very difficult.
If I was you then I would prolly hate on me too. http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/MorsCerta
ewswes
Profile Joined October 2010
39 Posts
October 12 2010 03:02 GMT
#738
On October 12 2010 11:25 MorsCerta wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 12 2010 09:03 ewswes wrote:
I don't understand how this build could possibly work against a protoss with sentries force fielding the ramp and slowly picking off your roaches. All you're doing is massively delaying your econ while doing no damage to the protoss.

Because you deny scouting, and the max amount of sentries a toss could have out is 1, especially a toss going warp into robo. If they don't know its coming and I know their composition, its not very difficult.


The standard build for 4gate, 3gate/expand, 2gate/forge/expand is to build 1 zealot then 5 sentries. Also by the time your roaches arrive at the toss base, warpgates will either be done or very close to done so he can easily warp in stalkers and fend off your rush with almost no damage.
Undercroft
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom166 Posts
October 12 2010 12:39 GMT
#739
Against sentries you only need to abort if there's more than one. A single sentry won't be able to stop the rush or slow it enough to actually do anything. All you do is wait out the first forcefield and then break in. It doesn't matter as much if your roaches get a little split as you can still use them to open a hole for the lings.

Against terrans i've had a bit more mixed success. Tech builds get demolished unless the wall is build properly (ie two big buildings like a rax, etc) or they go for lots of marauders early. Not sure how a 1rax FE stops the 5RR. What units do you have at your wall? and how do you manage to expand when the zerg has all those units for map control? I don't see what you can mean by having the expansion up before the zerg player when you won';t be able to land the cc
Our dronessssss are under attaahck!!
MorsCerta
Profile Joined October 2010
United States234 Posts
October 12 2010 15:43 GMT
#740
On October 12 2010 12:02 ewswes wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 12 2010 11:25 MorsCerta wrote:
On October 12 2010 09:03 ewswes wrote:
I don't understand how this build could possibly work against a protoss with sentries force fielding the ramp and slowly picking off your roaches. All you're doing is massively delaying your econ while doing no damage to the protoss.

Because you deny scouting, and the max amount of sentries a toss could have out is 1, especially a toss going warp into robo. If they don't know its coming and I know their composition, its not very difficult.


The standard build for 4gate, 3gate/expand, 2gate/forge/expand is to build 1 zealot then 5 sentries. Also by the time your roaches arrive at the toss base, warpgates will either be done or very close to done so he can easily warp in stalkers and fend off your rush with almost no damage.

I have never, ever ever ever, seen someone open with 5 sentries. (1200 diamond take with grain of salt.) The most I have seen is 1, and warp tech does finish as I get there and I have faced stalkers incoming, which is why if I see they will need to warp in to hold off my attack, I will follow up with 8-12 speedlings, Because 9 times out of 10 they will warp 2-3 stalkers.
If I was you then I would prolly hate on me too. http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/MorsCerta
Prev 1 35 36 37 38 39 41 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 15m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft694
PiGStarcraft208
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 556
Stork 221
ggaemo 161
Leta 145
PianO 55
Hyuk 35
yabsab 19
Bale 18
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm218
League of Legends
JimRising 699
Reynor26
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King257
Westballz50
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor653
Other Games
summit1g8986
Coldzera 822
C9.Mang0305
Sick142
RuFF_SC2116
ViBE78
ArmadaUGS41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick655
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream114
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 7
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2204
League of Legends
• Lourlo1372
• Stunt353
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
4h 15m
Online Event
5h 15m
FEL
10h 15m
AI Arena Tournament
11h 15m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
13h 15m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 4h
INu's Battles
1d 6h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 13h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.