• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:50
CEST 00:50
KST 07:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6632 users

MotM ProAm: Results!

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 03:41:00
August 11 2012 02:26 GMT
#1
[image loading]

After around a week of judging and play testing, I'm finally ready to announce the winners of this contest. First of all, let me remind you what the submissions were (with before and after shots!)

+ Show Spoiler [Entries] +
Mappers
Old
New
scorp
Timetwister22
NewSunshine
iGrok
chuky
Johanaz
Syphon8
monitor
TibblesEvilCat
IronManSC
eTcetRa
Ragoo
MarcusRife
Meltage
TheFish7
Namrufus
Aircooled
Gfire
Rkynick
IceToad
OxyGensis
Mereel
SigmaFiE
NullCurrent


Before I give you the results, let me first go over the judging process. Firstly, the judges for this month were myself, Nightmarjoo and NrGmonk. Both Nightmarjoo and monk are very strong players on the ladder and contribute significantly to the community in one way or another. If you've been on TL in the past year, you're probably familiar with both of them by now anyway .

We scored the maps as we always do, taking into consideration all the factors (balance, design and so on) but we singled out originality as a key part of the map. After all, the goal of this was to take the ideas of a map and try to refine and bring them out in a polished end product. After this was done, it was quite clear what our favorites were.

I took our list of favorites and play tested them with a bunch of my friends on battle.net - all of whom are mid-high masters. After playtesting with them, two candidates emerged for the top prizes. Finding it incredibly difficult to distinguish between the two, I turned te tree.hugger to help me break the tie. He, after all, is incredibly knowledgeable about the game. After a fairly lengthy discussion, we settled on our winner and second place.

Before I announce the results, the judges did feel that every map could be further improved upon. Even our winners had some problems which would need addressing for tournament play. Without further ado, here are the winners:

MotM: ProAm Runner-Up
Fissure
by OxyGenesis and Mereel


While placing fourth after the initial point scoring round, upon play testing the map created incredibly dynamic games. Yet, it was still standard enough to be compatible with todays metagame. There are some serious concerns about PvZ balance on this map, but overall it's conceptually very interesting and makes for entertaining games. This fact made it stand out for playtesters, and consequently scored more highly than other maps that have more predictable balance.

MotM: ProAm Winner
Orbit Brutus
by eTcetRa and Ragoo


Orbit Brutus was the clear winner after the point scoring round, and playtesting justified it's high place. Quirks like the LoS blocker behind the natural were fun, and the tactical use of highground was appreciated. The map is a bit too big, but as it stands it would be a playable tournament map and would produce good games. The map is a worthy winner.

Thank you for everyone who participated! I hope that this experience was a good one and that even if you weren't selected that you can learn something from this (like how to take a concept and refine it by comparing before/after pictures). The goal of this contest, from my point of view, was to help develop talent within the map making community and try to spread sound map making knowledge further than just the top teams. I think this contest was a good first step towards that, and hopefully the quality of your average map on these forums will go up.

Congrats once again to eTcetRa and Ragoo!

Plexa
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Icetoad
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada262 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 02:51:06
August 11 2012 02:47 GMT
#2
Could we have the ranking list? Also is it possible to have either the replays and some comment on the maps we work on?
I would like to help fix even more Rkynick's map.

Edit: Also congratz to the winner and the runner-up.
Map Maker of Nimbus
Meerel
Profile Joined March 2012
Germany713 Posts
August 11 2012 02:48 GMT
#3
lets do that again next month, way more fun then normal motms
SDMF
a3den
Profile Joined April 2012
704 Posts
August 11 2012 02:54 GMT
#4
My favorite one won, gratz to eTcetRa and Ragoo.
LunaSaint
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United Kingdom620 Posts
August 11 2012 03:08 GMT
#5
Johanaz is a hero for such an undertaking.
Grats to etcetra and Ragoo though! I love the design of Brutus.
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
August 11 2012 04:32 GMT
#6
Congrats to to etcetra and ragoo. Well done.

I really did enjoy this motm, it would be cool to do more stuff like this in the future.
all's fair in love and melodies
Diamond
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States10796 Posts
August 11 2012 05:45 GMT
#7
Gratz!
Ballistix Gaming Global Gaming/Esports Marketing Manager - twitter.com/esvdiamond
Oaky
Profile Joined August 2012
United States95 Posts
August 11 2012 06:09 GMT
#8
Damn the second one looks so sick, fissure looks pretty bad to me tbh, but maybe thats just because im zerg.
SOOOOOOO MANY BANELINGS!
Sea_Food
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Finland1612 Posts
August 11 2012 06:36 GMT
#9
On August 11 2012 11:48 Terranlover wrote:
lets do that again next month, way more fun then normal motms

But next month was already last month -.-


Anyway, even thou the only map I forgot entirely about won, I cant say Im would be mad of results.
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
August 11 2012 07:11 GMT
#10
Congrats to the winners, they're both worthy of it. I enjoyed this month (or two) quite a bit!
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
ScorpSCII
Profile Joined April 2012
Denmark499 Posts
August 11 2012 07:56 GMT
#11
Yup, grats to the winners, they deserve it.

Out of curiousity, are the amateur winners considered as non-amateurs in future ProAms?
Mapmaker | Author of Atlas, Rao Mesa & Paralda
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
August 11 2012 08:58 GMT
#12
On August 11 2012 16:56 ScorpSCII wrote:
Yup, grats to the winners, they deserve it.

Out of curiousity, are the amateur winners considered as non-amateurs in future ProAms?

I have no idea
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Aunvilgod
Profile Joined December 2011
2653 Posts
August 11 2012 09:15 GMT
#13
One of the best maps won the thing, very nice. I do like Fissure as well. Its lacking doodads though (judging from the overview).

On August 11 2012 16:56 ScorpSCII wrote:
Yup, grats to the winners, they deserve it.

Out of curiousity, are the amateur winners considered as non-amateurs in future ProAms?


I really hope this was the last ProAm. Just look who won the thing: A guy who was actually not worse at mapmaking than the pro. I don´t see any major changes at all.

I hope future TL map contests will be more like the first contest.
ilovegroov | Blizzards mapmaker(s?) suck ass | #1 Protoss hater
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
August 11 2012 09:17 GMT
#14
Yeah Pro am kinda sucks, we need normal Tournament.
The amateurs can just ask pros anytime, usually they provide good feedback.

Also we need better judges, which means Pros has to be the judges, but when doing a pro am, the pros aren't judging.
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
Ragoo
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany2773 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 12:55:39
August 11 2012 09:41 GMT
#15
Nobody should congratulate me here, I did comparatively little with my map. eTcetRa is a good enough mapmaker so that he could execute by himself and the map was quite good in layout before.

Unfortunately I think the map is still too big as Plexa also pointed out and the dead space corners still bug me, but I'm convinced that if eTcetRa will continue mapmaking in the future he won't make the same mistakes and work a bit tighter. He already made this map quite a bit tighter as well

Congrats to Mereel and OxyGenesis for making a cool map and really improving the old one, also the aesthetics give me such a nice warm feeling which barely any SC2 map has.

edit: Big shoutout to my personal top 3: Atomic Version by Syphon8 and monitor, Ancient Fates by Rkynick and Icetoad and Tainted Underworld by Timetwister and ScorpSCII
Member of TPW mapmaking team/// twitter.com/Ragoo_ /// "goody represents border between explainable reason and supernatural" Cloud
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 10:24:00
August 11 2012 10:23 GMT
#16
On August 11 2012 18:15 Aunvilgod wrote:
One of the best maps won the thing, very nice. I do like Fissure as well. Its lacking doodads though (judging from the overview).

Show nested quote +
On August 11 2012 16:56 ScorpSCII wrote:
Yup, grats to the winners, they deserve it.

Out of curiousity, are the amateur winners considered as non-amateurs in future ProAms?


I really hope this was the last ProAm. Just look who won the thing: A guy who was actually not worse at mapmaking than the pro. I don´t see any major changes at all.

I hope future TL map contests will be more like the first contest.

Any TL contest will be more like TLMC yes. But this was a 'fun' MotM to put in between the regular editions of it no harm in a little variety, right?
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Aunvilgod
Profile Joined December 2011
2653 Posts
August 11 2012 10:36 GMT
#17
On August 11 2012 19:23 Plexa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 11 2012 18:15 Aunvilgod wrote:
One of the best maps won the thing, very nice. I do like Fissure as well. Its lacking doodads though (judging from the overview).

On August 11 2012 16:56 ScorpSCII wrote:
Yup, grats to the winners, they deserve it.

Out of curiousity, are the amateur winners considered as non-amateurs in future ProAms?


I really hope this was the last ProAm. Just look who won the thing: A guy who was actually not worse at mapmaking than the pro. I don´t see any major changes at all.

I hope future TL map contests will be more like the first contest.

Any TL contest will be more like TLMC yes. But this was a 'fun' MotM to put in between the regular editions of it no harm in a little variety, right?


In the end we got a ton of awesome maps and movement in the mapping scene. Although the concept was not good a map contest is better than nothing.
ilovegroov | Blizzards mapmaker(s?) suck ass | #1 Protoss hater
Sea_Food
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Finland1612 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 11:11:03
August 11 2012 10:51 GMT
#18
On August 11 2012 19:23 Plexa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 11 2012 18:15 Aunvilgod wrote:
One of the best maps won the thing, very nice. I do like Fissure as well. Its lacking doodads though (judging from the overview).

On August 11 2012 16:56 ScorpSCII wrote:
Yup, grats to the winners, they deserve it.

Out of curiousity, are the amateur winners considered as non-amateurs in future ProAms?


I really hope this was the last ProAm. Just look who won the thing: A guy who was actually not worse at mapmaking than the pro. I don´t see any major changes at all.

I hope future TL map contests will be more like the first contest.

Any TL contest will be more like TLMC yes. But this was a 'fun' MotM to put in between the regular editions of it no harm in a little variety, right?

This is the only map contest with cash prizes so far right?

To me this was the most serious competition ever because of that. Or at least I took it that way.

I mean normal MotM has no prize at all, so even if you say money is not important and its for practice, its still more than normally.
thezanursic
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
5504 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 11:28:29
August 11 2012 11:27 GMT
#19
When I see the new maps that are being made every day I'm astonished because they make SC2 look so much better than the first few Blizzard maps did.

Very nice asthetics. I won't comment on the balance other than they look good to me.
http://i45.tinypic.com/9j2cdc.jpg Let it be so!
OxyGenesis
Profile Joined May 2012
United Kingdom281 Posts
August 11 2012 11:34 GMT
#20
For me, this contest has been about learning, not winning. And in that regard I think the contest was a massive success. I never expected my map to even get picked, let alone finish as runner up, I remember drawing the layout on a scrap of paper and thinking 'one day I'll learn the editor and make that map'. Congrats to eTcetRa and Ragoo, Orbit Brutus is a seriously cool map. Personally I thought Scorp and TimeTwister were going to get it, but as I said before; this contest isn't about the winning. Overall, I think this contest has been great for all involved.

I'd like to echo Icetoad in asking for the replays, I would love to see some master level games on my map.
Maker of Maps inc. Vector, Uncanny Valley and Fissure | Co-Founder of SC2Melee.net
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 135
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 420
White-Ra 143
910 45
NaDa 39
Dota 2
monkeys_forever279
NeuroSwarm141
Super Smash Bros
PPMD85
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby8857
Liquid`Hasu1735
Trikslyr85
Other Games
summit1g8474
Liquid`RaSZi3176
shahzam551
JimRising 322
B2W.Neo175
C9.Mang0157
ArmadaUGS93
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream313
Other Games
BasetradeTV244
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 97
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1088
Other Games
• imaqtpie1129
• Shiphtur185
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 10m
Afreeca Starleague
11h 10m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 1h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 12h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.