• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:27
CEST 01:27
KST 08:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8702 users

[M] (2) Vorpal Shores

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Normal
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-21 19:49:56
July 12 2012 00:41 GMT
#1
Vorpal Shores (0.8)

Made by: RFDaemoniac

Published on: [NA]

This map is now playable with the Starbow Mod!

Previous Versions
+ Show Spoiler +
v0.2+ Show Spoiler +

Overview:
[image loading]

Angled Overview:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Pictures (Gameplay):
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
[image loading]


v0.5+ Show Spoiler +

Overview:
[image loading]

Angled Overview:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Pictures (Gameplay):
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
[image loading]


v0.6+ Show Spoiler +

Overview:
[image loading]

Angled Overview:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Pictures (Gameplay):
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
[image loading]




Current Version Overview:
[image loading]

Angled Overview:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


In-Game Description:
Basic: Beware the Jabberwock!

Extended: Ten bases between two players are vulnerable to a number of attack paths. Snicker Snack.

Inspiration:
I saw a remake of Sanshorn Mist from the beta and really liked the middle, and then chose a modified entombed valley 3 base, but making it a little more vulnerable to ground attacks and to blink/cliff jumpers. I have since changed the main/nat/third, encouraging a diagonal split rather than a horizontal split that Sanshorn Mist does.

Aesthetics
I wanted to go for a green/purple look to the map, but haven't had a chance to place any doodads as I just made this today (from start to finish).
The symbols in the bases are original by me. I haven't placed anything other than ground designs.


Data (Aesthetics):
  • Texture Set:
    1. Ulnar Hull 2
    2. Ulnar Hull 3
    3. Zhakul'Das Mercury Cracks
    4. Agria Grass Green
    5. Char Dirt Light
    6. Shakul'Das Dirt Rough
    7. Shakuras Sand Dark

  • Cliff Type:
    1. Shakuras Organic Cliffs


Pictures (Gameplay):
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
[image loading]


Data (Gameplay):
  • Playable Bounds: 156x120
  • Main Choke <-> Main Choke Distance(s): 50 seconds
  • Nat Choke <-> Nat Choke Distance(s): 36 seconds
  • Mineral/Gas Counts: All bases have 8m2g
  • Resource/Size: 170000 / (156 * 120) = 9.1


Further Balance Comments:
I'm worried about the natural and third not having enough room for a comfortable army.
The three small cardinal ramps have rocks at the top to allow you to block off. Because they are not going to be where you defend in the early game I felt that using cardinal ramps was okay. They still split up an army that's trying to move through.

The high ground third is very far away from the natural, so I made the far choke smaller in order to make forcefields better. Terrans will probably have to hold it with a PF, but this doesn't bother me.

I like the idea of in PvZ or TvZ the conflict coming up pretty quickly when both of you take your third, as they will be very close together. This might give an advantage to the T or P against Z, but because the T or P third is farther away from the natural it should give zerg a nice space to counterattack and force the T or P army back.

I've moved the low ground third much closer to the main after seeing some very 1 sided PvZs, It could have been because of difference in skill and I'd like to be able to move it back, so we'll see...


Changelog
+ Show Spoiler +
0.2 - original map
0.5 - new base layout
lowered outermost paths to level 1
new texturing
some doodad/decal placement
size increased to make room for new base layout

0.6 - changed secondary ramp from natural
moved low ground 3rd closer
changed cliffs around low ground 3rd
tightened choke at high ground third

0.8 - moved low ground third closer to main


Much love,

RFDaemoniac
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
July 12 2012 01:02 GMT
#2
Nice map. Seems pretty solid to me. I like the central structure, that's really cool.

I'm wondering if, maybe, you should switch the large and small ramps on the northern and southern high grounds. This way, the small ramp is out towards the edge where it can be used for harassment or a runby, and the wide one can be used for army movement, without having to pull your army way out to the edge.
all's fair in love and melodies
-NegativeZero-
Profile Joined August 2011
United States2142 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-12 01:18:51
July 12 2012 01:16 GMT
#3
On July 12 2012 10:02 Gfire wrote:
Nice map. Seems pretty solid to me. I like the central structure, that's really cool.

I'm wondering if, maybe, you should switch the large and small ramps on the northern and southern high grounds. This way, the small ramp is out towards the edge where it can be used for harassment or a runby, and the wide one can be used for army movement, without having to pull your army way out to the edge.

Isn't the central structure lifted straight from Sanshorn Mists?

Edit: it's in the description, i am retarded.
vibeo gane,
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
July 12 2012 01:20 GMT
#4
On July 12 2012 10:16 -NegativeZero- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2012 10:02 Gfire wrote:
Nice map. Seems pretty solid to me. I like the central structure, that's really cool.

I'm wondering if, maybe, you should switch the large and small ramps on the northern and southern high grounds. This way, the small ramp is out towards the edge where it can be used for harassment or a runby, and the wide one can be used for army movement, without having to pull your army way out to the edge.

Isn't the central structure lifted straight from Sanshorn Mists?

Edit: it's in the description, i am retarded.

Yes, but you can't see anything on the Sanshorn Mist overview so I don't think that counts.
all's fair in love and melodies
Yonnua
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United Kingdom2331 Posts
July 12 2012 01:23 GMT
#5
I feel like the natural is a bit cramped and I'm assuming there isn't meant to be pathing on the cliff above the natural (editor says there is)?
LRSL 2014 Finalist! PartinG | Mvp | Bomber | Creator | NaNiwa | herO
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
July 12 2012 01:25 GMT
#6
On July 12 2012 10:23 Yonnua wrote:
I feel like the natural is a bit cramped and I'm assuming there isn't meant to be pathing on the cliff above the natural (editor says there is)?

Analyzer sometimes shows those things incorrectly.

Since when was Sanshorn Mist a Brood War map? I didn't know. Where can I see that?
all's fair in love and melodies
GGOPphatpak
Profile Joined September 2011
United States87 Posts
July 12 2012 01:30 GMT
#7
this just looks like entombed valley but 2 player lol
Starcraft 2 is one of the few games that makes me throw my keyboard out the window
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
July 12 2012 04:51 GMT
#8
Thanks, I'm definitely going to switch those ramp sizes. The high grounds are meant to be unpathable, it just slipped my mind as this is a map that I pulled together today.
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
July 12 2012 04:54 GMT
#9
Sanshorn Mist was never a Brood War map actually. Konicki made it in the beta, and Superouman remade it for the AE map pack.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
July 12 2012 06:35 GMT
#10
Ahh, thanks for the clarification. It was just made for the Brood Mod then
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-25 14:41:00
July 22 2012 04:01 GMT
#11
So I've made changes to the map, re-doing the base layout and changing the outer paths, as well as moving the bases that used to be on the outer paths to the middle ring.

The changes to the main/natural have increased the rush distance, but I don't think it's too long.

I'm considering re-doing the main/natural and open third again to look like this, which do you prefer?
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

EDIT: added spoiler tags
Fatam
Profile Joined June 2012
1986 Posts
July 22 2012 09:21 GMT
#12
This is pretty significantly different from Entombed, I don't know how you could draw that conclusion. Yes there are rocks to one side of your natural but there is no 3rd on the other side of them lol just a ramp down to the middle area and (eventually) there's a base but it's pretty far away. The rest of the map is -completely- dissimilar to Entombed. The comments some people here make.. lol.

I'm a tad surprised no one has QQ'ed about how far away the 3rd is here. I never have a problem with weird or interesting features but most people want things to be super standard.
Search "FTM" in SC2 | Latest Maps: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/528528-2-ftm-siegfried-station http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/525489-2-ftm-crimson-aftermath http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/524737-2-ftm-grime
Shkudde
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands709 Posts
July 22 2012 09:46 GMT
#13
On July 22 2012 18:21 Fatam wrote:
This is pretty significantly different from Entombed, I don't know how you could draw that conclusion. Yes there are rocks to one side of your natural but there is no 3rd on the other side of them lol just a ramp down to the middle area and (eventually) there's a base but it's pretty far away. The rest of the map is -completely- dissimilar to Entombed. The comments some people here make.. lol.

I'm a tad surprised no one has QQ'ed about how far away the 3rd is here. I never have a problem with weird or interesting features but most people want things to be super standard.


Check the previous version of the map to see the comparison with Entombed.
And I kinda agree about the third, I'd think the middle-highground would be the standard third for terran and toss, and that would be pretty hard to hold without a PF. 2base-toss ftw?
I love the aesthetics and the rest of the lay-out though, very nicely done.
$O$ | herO[jOin] | Zest hwaiting!
X3GoldDot
Profile Joined August 2011
Malaysia3840 Posts
July 22 2012 10:23 GMT
#14
third is so legendarily far away...
prime/startale/[SexComaZerg, RoyalRoaderZerg, SirLifealot] ingame ID = GoodGame
Aunvilgod
Profile Joined December 2011
2653 Posts
July 22 2012 11:49 GMT
#15
Nice map. All possible thirds are really far away though. I think you might hace to spread out too thin to hold.

Nice job on the cliff structure! One of the very best I´ve seen so far!
ilovegroov | Blizzards mapmaker(s?) suck ass | #1 Protoss hater
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
July 25 2012 14:42 GMT
#16
I've moved the low ground third closer and tightened the choke at the high ground third (see updated overview)

Do you think this makes the thirds more manageable or should the changes be much more drastic?

If it needs to be more drastic, do you have any suggestions for how to move the high ground third closer? I like having that low ground path between the natural and third.

I considered moving the low ground third to the outer edge of the map where the secondary ramp is atm, and moving that secondary ramp to underneath the rocks. However I like the tension that the low ground of one side and high ground third of the other creates in TvZ or PvZ
WniO
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2706 Posts
July 25 2012 16:23 GMT
#17
pretty sure this is agria valley. but i like the take on it.
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
July 25 2012 16:50 GMT
#18
On July 26 2012 01:23 WniO wrote:
pretty sure this is agria valley. but i like the take on it.

Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-28 16:54:28
July 28 2012 16:53 GMT
#19
I've brought the low ground third much closer to the main/natural and changed the ramp with the rocks to be more standard.

I definitely see the similarities to Agria Valley
a3den
Profile Joined April 2012
704 Posts
July 28 2012 17:12 GMT
#20
I'd like the outer paths to be a littel bit wider, the corner expo feels a little too safe to me.
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
August 02 2012 05:25 GMT
#21
Making the outside path wider weakens the high ground third considerably.

I suppose I'm relying on the distance of the corner base for vulnerability.

Do you have another idea of how to expose it more without making the high ground third even more impossible?
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE130
CosmosSc2 49
PiGStarcraft4
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 604
Artosis 501
910 30
Dota 2
monkeys_forever608
Counter-Strike
minikerr12
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5617
Other Games
summit1g7989
shahzam572
JimRising 519
C9.Mang0278
ArmadaUGS84
Trikslyr43
ZombieGrub30
Maynarde0
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick642
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream144
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 94
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen236
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
33m
PiGStarcraft4
Kung Fu Cup
11h 33m
Stellar Fest
13h 33m
The PondCast
1d 10h
OSC
1d 13h
Stellar Fest
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.