For example, when you are making a new map you could just pick an even number of features that favor each race and use them in your map.
I think if everyone donates their knowledge to this, it can be very helpful to new and experienced map makers alike. I will start with my knowledge as a master Protoss player, but I am sure there are many more features I forgot to mention, if everyone helps out this could become a great resource!
Map features that favor a certain race specific to a matchup:
- Large rush distance (warp ins remove reinforcements travel time and its easier defending pushes)
- Close air distance (easier drops)
- Lots of air space (drops are easier, and can escape easier when attacked)
- Siegeable bases from different height
- Ledges (for reaper harass and tank dropped there to be safe and provide cover for other units)
- Open areas (to get easier surrounds)
- Empty air / unpathable high ground area near bases (for brood lords placing)
- Natural with small entrance (Easier to block in time for early pool and to defend overall)
General map feature per race:
- Chokes (unless going zealot-archon style, which is rare)
- 3rd tucked by main (easier to defend with blink stalkers)
- Excessive change in height (both the colossus and the stalker using blink can pass through different levels of height easily)
- Inbase expo (Terran can build a 2ns CC in his base regardless, and Zerg has the easiest time expanding, so Protoss gains the most out of a safe expansion that is easy to defend)
- Large main (easier drop off and more space for buildings)
- Main with LOS blockers (easier drop off)
- Short rush distance (Terran has slow units that need to travel to get to the enemy base)
- Island bases (Terran has the easiest time taking an island expansion)
- Expansion path that goes toward the opponent
- Gold bases (Terran normally has less workers then Protoss and Zerg, so gold bases are more beneficial to it)
- Many expansions (Zerg is the strongest race lategame - debatable)
- Close by 3rd (not necessarily an easy one, just close since getting creep there is easier)
- Xel'naga towers (Zerg most of the time has map control and so has control over the towers, also Zerg benefits the most from the towers, cause it is a reactionary race)
- Expansion path that goes away from the opponent
- LOS usage (easier to ambush and counterattack)
- Air space behind mains and unpathable high grounds (for easy overlords placement)
If you got a reasonable feature that favors a race say it here and if supported I will include it in the OP, or if you think one of the features I included is wrong in some way, tell me and I will change it.
I hope this will help map makers to make better and more balanced maps gl hf's!