• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:17
CEST 00:17
KST 07:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5932 users

Simple Questions/Answers - Page 144

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 142 143 144 145 146 182 Next
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
October 10 2014 05:49 GMT
#2861
On October 10 2014 12:48 TheFish7 wrote:
Seems like a catch-22 to me; if you modify the behavior then the map becomes custom, but I don't know of a way to get rid of that without changing the behavior. Has this been done before? How did Crevasse for example get away with changing the hp values on rocks, or was that also considered a custom map?

It has been done before. Plus there are plenty of maps with two close rock towers that are without the conjoined behaviour
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
Xenotolerance
Profile Joined November 2012
United States464 Posts
October 10 2014 06:41 GMT
#2862
It's strange to me that it seems to simply work in that example ... I must be doing something wrong.

Here's exactly what I'm doing, in two screenshots:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Remove the conjoined behavior, as described...
[image loading]
Custom map type


???
www.alonetone.com/xenotolerance
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
October 10 2014 08:31 GMT
#2863
Hmm I don't have SC2 where I am right now but I'll look into it this afternoon/tomorrow
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
Hot_Ice
Profile Joined January 2013
139 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-10 17:30:52
October 10 2014 17:21 GMT
#2864
--- Nuked ---
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
October 11 2014 11:42 GMT
#2865
On October 10 2014 15:41 Xenotolerance wrote:
It's strange to me that it seems to simply work in that example ... I must be doing something wrong.

Here's exactly what I'm doing, in two screenshots:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Remove the conjoined behavior, as described...
[image loading]
Custom map type


???

Ok so I found the solution (or the lack of). When you modify any data value of any unit, the map gets described as custom, so it seems inevitable with un-conjoined rock towers. However, once the map is published, even as a "custom" type, you can still play it normally as a melee map (I mean in the lobby you can select "Melee" type of game).
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
And G
Profile Joined May 2012
Germany491 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-11 12:07:15
October 11 2014 12:02 GMT
#2866
Is it at all possible to modify/mix "texture props" of terrain types, so I can have e.g. destructible rocks from Agria and geysers from Zerus?

Edit since I'm at it: I'm currently considering replacing the unbuildable rocks at the bottom of the main ramp of one of my WIP maps with permanent "no building" pathing. This would not affect walling at all since it is not where you would wall off anyway. Is there a reason why this is never done?
not a community mapmaker
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
October 14 2014 12:54 GMT
#2867
On October 11 2014 21:02 And G wrote:
Is it at all possible to modify/mix "texture props" of terrain types, so I can have e.g. destructible rocks from Agria and geysers from Zerus?

Edit since I'm at it: I'm currently considering replacing the unbuildable rocks at the bottom of the main ramp of one of my WIP maps with permanent "no building" pathing. This would not affect walling at all since it is not where you would wall off anyway. Is there a reason why this is never done?


To the second question:
In general, "no building"-doodads are rarely used at all. It is just weird to see an empty space that you cannot build upon. I would at least consider to make that 2x2 area visually very different in a way that suggest that you cannot build there.

Obviously the other option - completely blocking the area with a doodad - doesn't work, because then you can use that doodad as part of your bunker/pylon wall at the bottom of the ramp.

I do consider the rock plate solution quite a nice one, since it is visually/mechanically clear that something is blocking the spot.
And G
Profile Joined May 2012
Germany491 Posts
October 14 2014 14:03 GMT
#2868
On TPNT I just used to pathing tool and then added some cracks for visual indication. I've just uploaded a new version with unbuildable rocks instead, but it looked like this:

[image loading]

(Green rectangle shows where you can't build.)

I'd say it's one of those things that might throw you off the first time but to which you would get used quickly. As you know, on the same map vision blockers double as creep blockers which is quite unusual, but no one has complained about that yet and you even thought it was a great idea. In fact I also considered using vision blockers at the bottom of the main ramp since you can't build on them either, but it would have been too weird.

I think the unbuildable rocks (or depots back in WoL) aren't such a good solution since you can accidentally target them in a fight. In fact I think that's the main reason why many progamers kill them. It just seems kind of unnecessary to me.
not a community mapmaker
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
October 14 2014 14:12 GMT
#2869
Yeah, Creep blockers aren't used too much either. Personally I'm not really against just blocking Terrain and making it visible as you did here. As you say, it's something that you may find weird for a moment, and then just accept and remember.

Hm, another idea: What if you put a single vision blocker there on top of of the unbuildable area? Not sure how it would look like with the particular larva doodad, but I think it could work out.
Or maybe you could use one of those crystal doodads you have on the map, disable the footprint and play around with sinking it into the ground just enough that it becomes apparent that something is blocking the ground, yet it is still walkable.
Namrufus
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States396 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-14 16:05:44
October 14 2014 15:59 GMT
#2870
I think the "Agria Debris" and "Agria Debris Large" doodads are the best for marking out unbuildable areas: they are visually bumpy and resemble the rocky terrain in broodwar, naturally are pathable but block buildings, and also are visually distinct from the destructable plates/bricks/rocks.

I don't think the crack doodad alone is a very good solution, they are used in many other maps as pure decoration. Though of course, as both of you say, it is something that is easy to remember after the first few games on the map.

@Hot_Ice
On October 11 2014 02:21 Hot_Ice wrote:+ Show Spoiler [snip] +

Hello my question is, can you create a Discussion Thread for an Existing Map?

I have one in mind that is only available on the korean server, it's in the top 10 and played alot. I play it for 2 years occasionally and you always find people who join at any time. Since the map is so great but I don't know many english speaking people there I wish to open a discussion- or fan-thread of that map, to discuss that map and its changes and strategies in english, because everything is in korean by default (like forums i found); There is just no discussion thread T_T so what better chance or place was there but Teamliquid? Thanks for tips

You should probably PM a moderator and ask.

My gut instinct is that yeah, it is probably ok to create that thread.
This is it... the alpaca lips.
And G
Profile Joined May 2012
Germany491 Posts
October 14 2014 16:43 GMT
#2871
On October 15 2014 00:59 Namrufus wrote:
I don't think the crack doodad alone is a very good solution, they are used in many other maps as pure decoration.

That's actually a really good point and one I hadn't thought of. As you said, Agria Debris seems suited best for this. I had experimented with smaller/lowered crystals like Big J suggested, but I just couldn't get it to not look out of place. Lowering the terrain and placing some sort of mesh or glass layer over it would probably also look great, but I'm not sure how you would go about getting units to walk over there properly. Kind of like the unpathable area at the mid ground near the gold on Overgrowth, only pathable.

The visuals aside though, as discussed in the TPNT thread the only gameplay reason that speaks for using unbuildable rocks over unbuildable pathing seems to be that it allows for certain kinds of cheese that you might see once in a blue moon. It doesn't seem very convincing, but I guess now that there is a standard it's best to follow it. Still, I don't place unbuildable rocks where there are in-base expansions and I think they don't belong on Nimbus or Alterzim. They seem to have become this thing that you just do without stopping to think about why you're actually doing it.
not a community mapmaker
Xenotolerance
Profile Joined November 2012
United States464 Posts
October 15 2014 19:05 GMT
#2872
On October 11 2014 20:42 OtherWorld wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 15:41 Xenotolerance wrote:
It's strange to me that it seems to simply work in that example ... I must be doing something wrong.

Here's exactly what I'm doing, in two screenshots:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Remove the conjoined behavior, as described...
[image loading]
Custom map type


???

Ok so I found the solution (or the lack of). When you modify any data value of any unit, the map gets described as custom, so it seems inevitable with un-conjoined rock towers. However, once the map is published, even as a "custom" type, you can still play it normally as a melee map (I mean in the lobby you can select "Melee" type of game).


True! Question answered, thank you.
www.alonetone.com/xenotolerance
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
October 15 2014 19:22 GMT
#2873
On October 16 2014 04:05 Xenotolerance wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2014 20:42 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 10 2014 15:41 Xenotolerance wrote:
It's strange to me that it seems to simply work in that example ... I must be doing something wrong.

Here's exactly what I'm doing, in two screenshots:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Remove the conjoined behavior, as described...
[image loading]
Custom map type


???

Ok so I found the solution (or the lack of). When you modify any data value of any unit, the map gets described as custom, so it seems inevitable with un-conjoined rock towers. However, once the map is published, even as a "custom" type, you can still play it normally as a melee map (I mean in the lobby you can select "Melee" type of game).


True! Question answered, thank you.

No problem, was a pleasure to help (:
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
theworldofdustoerba
Profile Joined November 2012
51 Posts
October 15 2014 22:00 GMT
#2874
anyone know how wrl did the custom skygeirr skybox in Nimbus?
And G
Profile Joined May 2012
Germany491 Posts
October 21 2014 15:00 GMT
#2875
How would I go about creating a mod that adds the medic to HotS melee? I don't even know which dependencies to use. Also, I suppose that would be an extension mod, not a dependent mod?
not a community mapmaker
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
October 21 2014 23:10 GMT
#2876
On October 22 2014 00:00 And G wrote:
How would I go about creating a mod that adds the medic to HotS melee? I don't even know which dependencies to use. Also, I suppose that would be an extension mod, not a dependent mod?

You can definitely do this with an extension mod. Easiest way to do it, IMO (I did it with the Lurker) is to generate a separate mod with campaign dependencies, then duplicate the data over to your melee extension mod. Keeps it lighter than loading up all campaign data.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
October 22 2014 00:35 GMT
#2877
Yes, do not load the campaign data to start with. It will cause all sorts of problems. Basically your choices are to start with melee and add everything from the campaign you want custom, or start with the campaign data which is crazy different from melee and then add back the Melee data. I'm working on a mod exactly like that now I actually chose to start from the campaign data and add back the melee stuff, but thats only because more than half of the mod is going to be custom stuff anyway and if I could do it again I'd probably go the other way around.
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
And G
Profile Joined May 2012
Germany491 Posts
October 22 2014 10:55 GMT
#2878
Thanks, but how do I add stuff from the campaign dependency without that dependency activated? Is there an import function somewhere that allows me to extract data from other dependencies or how does that work?
not a community mapmaker
SwedenTheKid
Profile Joined July 2014
567 Posts
October 29 2014 02:28 GMT
#2879
I have a map design question. Is a full gold base (2g 6m) on an island close to a start location viable if you make taking alternate expansions for Zerg and Protoss easier? Giving a Terran player the option to fly his/her starting CC to the island or allowing him/her to expand quickly to an island could work if you gave the other races other advantages in my opinion. Could I pull this off or am I just stupid?
Casual Mapmaker
[UoN]Sentinel
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States11320 Posts
November 04 2014 07:35 GMT
#2880
Would there be any issues balance-wise or anything else about putting a neutral planetary fortress in a gold base rather than the usual destructible rocks?
Нас зовет дух отцов, память старых бойцов, дух Москвы и твердыня Полтавы
Prev 1 142 143 144 145 146 182 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 43m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 110
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 167
firebathero 91
910 42
NaDa 25
Artosis 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm96
monkeys_forever45
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0199
PPMD46
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9302
Liquid`Hasu1627
Trikslyr81
Other Games
summit1g7909
Liquid`RaSZi3887
shahzam512
JimRising 264
B2W.Neo185
Pyrionflax180
ArmadaUGS96
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream304
Other Games
BasetradeTV220
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 73
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 29
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1212
Other Games
• imaqtpie1166
• Shiphtur197
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 43m
Afreeca Starleague
11h 43m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 1h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 12h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.