• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:37
CEST 12:37
KST 19:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9936 users

[SC2B] Drone and the Art of Defence - Page 5

Forum Index > News
121 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Mystlord *
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States10264 Posts
March 30 2010 00:53 GMT
#81
I agree completely. ZvZ is now a true coinflip compared to SC1 with the fail scouting that we have now. Drone counts were the primary way through which I determined the opponent's strategy in SC1, and now... Well.. Now I hate ZvZ. Boring, random, mass Roaches to victory.

And now I think I'll step out of this thread since I don't have the time to devote to some sort of mass argument that inevitably happens...
It is impossible to be a citizen if you don't make an effort to understand the most basic activities of your government. It is very difficult to thrive in an increasingly competitive world if you're a nation of doods.
Tdelamay
Profile Joined October 2009
Canada548 Posts
March 30 2010 03:38 GMT
#82
One of these essential aspects is that there has to be a decent amount of viable strategies to avoid staleness and award creativity, and just as important as viable strategies is that there are enough potential reconnaissance options to allow a player to counter the myriad of possible strategies. Forcing players to guess, and most likely to guess incorrectly, leads to players blindly countering each other in ways that make for a thoroughly unentertaining game.


I concur with you. Great conclusion. Starcraft 2 needs to promote creativity while also allowing players to react to said creative strategy. WhiteRa and TLO match were perfect exemple. I hope this sort of play becomes standard. In the long run though, there's still two expansion to come, and the game won't really be finished till then. New units will probably change everything. An expansion also allows blizzard to add new strategies and improve other things.
This road isn't leading anywhere...
CursOr
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States6335 Posts
March 30 2010 04:36 GMT
#83
"All in" rewarded too much, making sure that NOT scouting isn't too much of an attractive option, and making sure that windows available for recon aren't too short or too long. Making sure that static defense (be it from structure buffs or high ground implementation) is strong enough to reward a multitude of build order options, while not being too over-powering to early "rush" style pressure tactics...

man, this is a lot to think about. Really well written article, that more than anything gives me insight as to how hard balancing a game like this really is. Thank you very much.
CJ forever (-_-(-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)-_-)
jodogohoo
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada2533 Posts
March 30 2010 04:55 GMT
#84
Blizzard is so lucky to have you guys : )
LaughingTulkas
Profile Joined March 2008
United States1107 Posts
March 30 2010 05:04 GMT
#85
On March 30 2010 09:18 beetlelisk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2010 07:15 Chill wrote:
On March 30 2010 06:38 beetlelisk wrote:
On March 30 2010 06:23 Chill wrote:
On March 30 2010 04:27 beetlelisk wrote:
Metagame is the real thing on which people should focus IMO.

Yes, I also agree people shouldn't focus on strategy and should focus on things outside the game. (I'm being sarcastic)

No, I just can't recall any examples where it's so crucial. In early game enemy units walk up ramps anyways, later it's more important how wide they are than just who's standing on a higher ground.
Units that abuse [edit] higher ground the most are Siege Tanks but they outrange anything that would like to shoot back anyways.

Maybe using terrain obstacles like cliffs is big enough without any sort of damage reduction, just avoiding flanking, especially done by melee units (with their new pathing) is big.
I have no idea if there is going to be any tension around sniping spotters. In this regard there better be some.

Maybe being a BW noob I'm not as attached to some things as others but I like your articles too.

I'm not being rude, but I've read your comment three times and I:
a) Can't see how it related to anything we were talking about;
b) Don't understand your point at all;
c) Are confident you don't understand what metagame means.

The solution to c) is to read my signature down there. I, however, don't have a solution for a) and b).

OK.
I've always understood metagame as overall builds, strategies and units you make more (or at all like Corsairs) in a mu.



You are close. Meta literally means "beyond." So the metagame is the game "beyond" the game, which means the predictions and guesses about what your opponent is going to do. It relates to build orders because the players are trying to guess what their opponent is likely to do based on past experience, what other players of that race do on that map, the opponenets personality, and other information that exists outside of the particular game they are playing.

So yes, the builds have something to do with it, but doing a build in a particular build is just a strategy. Trying to guess what build the opponent will do based on outside information is the metagame.

So what you want is more diverse possible strategies, which allow for a more rich metagame.
"I love noobies, they're so happy." -Chill
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
March 30 2010 06:06 GMT
#86
Sick write up Drone!

I barely played any SC2 and I feel like that defense seems a bit weak . However, I do like that terran bunkers are more useful with the new marauder!
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Iri
Profile Joined January 2010
150 Posts
March 30 2010 06:41 GMT
#87
Excellent, excellent article. I was actually inbound to make a post about how incomplete scouting seems right now and how difficult defense is without mass units, but this is a far more detailed and better explanation all around, and has a much more long-term perspective. I really, really hope Blizzard is paying attention to this.
Opportunities multiply as they are seized. -Sun Tzu
Phlatline
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Croatia176 Posts
March 30 2010 06:52 GMT
#88
agree with ZvZ scouting. After ling+queen is out there is no way to find out your opponent is doing until you get Lair
29 fps
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States5725 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-30 07:36:12
March 30 2010 07:35 GMT
#89
great article.

just wondering, why cant you use overlords in zvz?

edit: oh overlords dont have the sight. its overseers that do.
4v4 is a battle of who has the better computer.
omninmo
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
2349 Posts
March 30 2010 09:54 GMT
#90
pvz is not as hard to scout as most might think.
its just that stargate builds haven't been "standardized" yet.
jackofclubs81
Profile Joined January 2010
United States196 Posts
March 30 2010 16:12 GMT
#91
give 25% high ground miss and the depots + 500 hp
vvSiegvv
Profile Joined March 2010
United States364 Posts
March 30 2010 18:08 GMT
#92
Great article! I agree that if nothing else static defense or a high ground advantage needs to be installed, look at PvP right now. Even though the warp gate research time was increased we still see most players using the 3 warpgate build, simply because with no high ground advantage/static defense it is almost impossible to hold off without copying the exact same build and having 3 warp gates yourself.
MutaDoom
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1163 Posts
March 30 2010 18:32 GMT
#93
On March 29 2010 22:23 Hot_Bid wrote:
Nice article!

Agree on a lot of points, especially ZvZ, that mu single handedly makes me not like playing Zerg.

I also think static D needs to be buffed and high ground needs to be changed.

I agree 100%. I'm a Zerg player, yet I hate ZvZ. It used to be my favorite matchup, too.
MutaDoom
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1163 Posts
March 30 2010 18:37 GMT
#94
On March 31 2010 01:12 jackofclubs81 wrote:
give 25% high ground miss and the depots + 500 hp

I am going to assume you meant 500hp, rather than the current +500(I believe making it 850?). We want to adjust defensive capabilities, not make depot walls invincible.
Kyuukyuu
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada6263 Posts
March 30 2010 18:54 GMT
#95
On March 30 2010 16:35 29 fps wrote:
great article.

just wondering, why cant you use overlords in zvz?

edit: oh overlords dont have the sight. its overseers that do.


What? It's because a Queen can kill it
zomgzergrush
Profile Joined August 2008
United States923 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-30 19:09:03
March 30 2010 19:00 GMT
#96
On March 30 2010 09:18 beetlelisk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2010 07:15 Chill wrote:
On March 30 2010 06:38 beetlelisk wrote:
On March 30 2010 06:23 Chill wrote:
On March 30 2010 04:27 beetlelisk wrote:
Metagame is the real thing on which people should focus IMO.

Yes, I also agree people shouldn't focus on strategy and should focus on things outside the game. (I'm being sarcastic)

No, I just can't recall any examples where it's so crucial. In early game enemy units walk up ramps anyways, later it's more important how wide they are than just who's standing on a higher ground.
Units that abuse [edit] higher ground the most are Siege Tanks but they outrange anything that would like to shoot back anyways.

Maybe using terrain obstacles like cliffs is big enough without any sort of damage reduction, just avoiding flanking, especially done by melee units (with their new pathing) is big.
I have no idea if there is going to be any tension around sniping spotters. In this regard there better be some.

Maybe being a BW noob I'm not as attached to some things as others but I like your articles too.

I'm not being rude, but I've read your comment three times and I:
a) Can't see how it related to anything we were talking about;
b) Don't understand your point at all;
c) Are confident you don't understand what metagame means.

The solution to c) is to read my signature down there. I, however, don't have a solution for a) and b).

OK.
I've always understood metagame as overall builds, strategies and units you make more (or at all like Corsairs) in a mu.

Article says
Show nested quote +
The lack of a real high ground advantage is far from the only example of defense being weakened though... Units in Sc2 generally deal more damage faster than they did in BW.

Instead of damage reduction, units on a higher ground (or ramps) can't be shot at all if there is no spotter around and they aren't standing too close to the edges. I'm not sure about those on ramps, I think I read they are flashing when they shoot but without a vision nothing can shoot back?
This makes it harder to abuse for units with lower range and nearly impossible if there is anything to give a vision on the higher ground.

My point is does it matter as much as in BW with all these new units giving new possibilities, with more stress on micro than macro? Aren't openings and unit mixes more important now?
I'm asking that partly because to be honest, I'm not going to miss games where not much but threats happens for longer periods of time. I like fast paced games and I don't mean just rushes and all ins by that.

Making "proper" counters (for example adding Banelings) to deflect attacks instead of relying on higher ground or few Sunkens is something I'm going to like more and I don't mean not making any defenses at all. Maybe there is just no need as big as in BW.

I hope it makes sense this time.


Have you read the earlier news post almost exclusively dedicated to the high ground topic at all?
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=116142

On March 31 2010 03:32 MutaDoom wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 29 2010 22:23 Hot_Bid wrote:
Nice article!

Agree on a lot of points, especially ZvZ, that mu single handedly makes me not like playing Zerg.

I also think static D needs to be buffed and high ground needs to be changed.

I agree 100%. I'm a Zerg player, yet I hate ZvZ. It used to be my favorite matchup, too.

I think I'm like the only person in the world who enjoys zvz now...I honestly though BW zvz was incredibly boring. Maybe it's just the novelty of sc2 that's got me. I don't at all feel like it's all about roaches, I think it's very interesting how the timing of all the ups is now much more important, burrow micro, nydus hit/run backstabs, muta/hydra transitions, no 24/7 overlord spotter all early game, etc.

Or maybe it's just because sc2 zvz is the only place I can beat players better than myself lol
Bronze skipping straight to Diamond in 40 games retail release. Bnet 2.0 ladder really takes it's sweet time to think about that league placement.
riptide
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
5673 Posts
March 30 2010 19:48 GMT
#97
Just wanted to point out that the new patch does basically what Drone suggested -

o Missile Turret
+ The damage has been changed from 7+7 armored to 12.

o Photon Cannon
+ Life and Shield values have been increased from 125/125 to 150/150.

o Spine Crawler
+ Damage has been increased from 20+10 armored to 25+5 armored.
+ Attack period decreased from 2.2 to 1.6.

o Spore Crawler
+ The cost has been decreased from 100 to 75.

All of the above obviously make static defence more viable. Nice to see Blizzard listening to the community!

AdministratorSKT T1 | Masters of the Universe
Sfydjklm
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States9218 Posts
March 30 2010 20:54 GMT
#98

well put.
twitter.com/therealdhalism | "Trying out Z = lots of losses vs inferior players until you figure out how to do it well (if it even works)."- Liquid'Tyler
bendez
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada283 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-30 22:42:20
March 30 2010 22:36 GMT
#99
People needs to stop saying that scanning COSTS minerals. By your logic, when I spend my spawn larva on units, I'm losing minerals since I could have used those larva for drones. When I chrono boost a building, I'm losing minerals since I could have used it on nexus. Scan gives you an instant scout on a huge radius, as well as revealing stealth units. You really need to stop bitching about scan. Other than that, good read.
pachi
Profile Joined October 2006
Melbourne5338 Posts
March 30 2010 22:47 GMT
#100
On March 31 2010 07:36 bendez wrote:
People needs to stop saying that scanning COSTS minerals. By your logic, when I spend my spawn larva on units, I'm losing minerals since I could have used those larva for drones. When I chrono boost a building, I'm losing minerals since I could have used it on nexus. Scan gives you an instant scout on a huge radius, as well as revealing stealth units. You really need to stop bitching about scan. Other than that, good read.


MULEs are pure minerals because they are not subject to worker saturation and thus are still worth minerals later in the game. While not building Probes/Drones is obviously costing some potential income, they don't have a quantifiable benefit and the benefit of extra mining workers is negligible (possibly even negative effect) after hitting 2+ workers per patch.
Moderatorpachi fanclub http://goto.tl/6DI9 。◕‿◕。
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko136
ProTech135
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 755
Soma 638
Jaedong 447
BeSt 337
Horang2 332
Hyuk 270
Light 258
910 213
Soulkey 200
Stork 192
[ Show more ]
Mini 139
Snow 136
EffOrt 121
Pusan 116
ZerO 99
Last 79
Rush 57
Shinee 52
Mind 46
ggaemo 44
Mong 43
hero 40
Killer 38
Yoon 38
Creator 28
Bale 24
Sharp 20
Sacsri 15
yabsab 13
Noble 11
sorry 10
Dota 2
Gorgc4977
XcaliburYe122
League of Legends
JimRising 326
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1197
pashabiceps876
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2989
Khaldor867
Other Games
gofns35262
singsing1385
ceh9646
XBOCT310
Pyrionflax233
DeMusliM195
Mew2King91
ArmadaUGS48
ZerO(Twitch)10
trigger7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream167
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH298
• StrangeGG 38
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1504
Other Games
• WagamamaTV170
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
23m
Stellar Fest
2h 23m
The PondCast
23h 23m
OSC
1d 2h
Stellar Fest
1d 2h
OSC
1d 13h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.