• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:15
CEST 07:15
KST 14:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8255 users

[SC2B] Drone and the Art of Defence - Page 3

Forum Index > News
121 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
zul
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany5427 Posts
March 29 2010 15:52 GMT
#41
i haven`t found one point where i wouldn`t agree. I`m especially happy that you mentioned the shorter distances. Sure i have seen some cool SC2 matches - but the big majority of games goes like this: Defend and mass 1or2 unittypes as hard as you can (sometimes harras a little) and the enter a huge fight. whoever wins that wins the match. Even if the fight took place at the defenders base, he will just run to the other guys base and finish him. The only Map where this doesn`t apply is Metalopolis on cross position.
keep it deep! @zulison
beetlelisk
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Poland2276 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-29 15:58:37
March 29 2010 15:58 GMT
#42
On March 29 2010 23:48 Teugeus wrote:
The more people think out of the box, the bigger the box will get so I'm not too concerned. The whole concept of what is "viable" and what isn't I think is really stopping people from thinking out of the box.

I agree, people just need to learn when to scout, when and how to expand in a safe way, learn proper counters and get used to the new units. You just got used to fast expanding too much.

I also can't think of any situation in early game in BW where high ground gives advantage, please give me some? Like the only situation I can think of is PvT but even here it doesn't matter at all, there's just pure micro (as ramps are basically high ground) and awaiting for the first Tank to pop out <- people don't use static defenses but unit counters and everything is fine?
wwww
frequency
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Australia1901 Posts
March 29 2010 15:59 GMT
#43
Good read =)
www.twitter.com/marconofrio | marconofrio.tumblr.com
0neder
Profile Joined July 2009
United States3733 Posts
March 29 2010 16:04 GMT
#44
Isn't it 'defense' ? Am I crazy or does everyone misspell it? (good article btw!)
Freezard
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Sweden1030 Posts
March 29 2010 16:13 GMT
#45
On March 30 2010 01:04 0neder wrote:
Isn't it 'defense' ? Am I crazy or does everyone misspell it? (good article btw!)

Defence is the UK way of spelling it.
Daycayday
Profile Joined March 2010
France9 Posts
March 29 2010 16:18 GMT
#46
On March 29 2010 23:03 muzzy wrote:
Great article, but I disagree somewhat with your assessment of ZvZ. It's not impossible to scout... just difficult. If you keep your initial overlord around the perimeter of his base, you should be able to do a quick peek at things without being sniped by the queen, on most maps. Zerg tend to put their buildings along the edge of the creep or behind their mineral line, which makes it all the easier to spot.

Also, I disagree that roach is the only viable ZvZ tactic, and in fact, I exploit the fact that so many Zerg players believe this. Now, I'm not high level (I play in the top of my Gold division, but certainly don't feel like I'm a Platinum player), but I think I have a good overall feel for the game.

A strategy that some might call a bit cheesy, but which I employ with great success, is fast teching to mutas and avoiding ground altogether during Tier 1. I throw down between 3-5 spine crawlers depending on the pressure the enemy puts on me. Usually by the time they have actually started hitting with roaches, it's too late for them to realize that I have mutas on the way to their base.
At my level, I have lost almost no ZvZ with this tactic. The only time I feel a strong challenge in ZvZ is when my enemy either goes Mutas himself, which results in an intense micro battle and war of attrition, or when he successfully scouts with his overlord and sees that I am going mutas. If they have even one spore crawler waiting by the time my mutas come, I have little chance of doing much damage. Even if they throw up spore crawlers though, I'll be able to keep them contained long enough to switch into hydras/roaches myself and go forward with a standard game. Most opponents overreact to the first batch of mutas and start to go heavy anti air and stay holed up in their base, which further adds to my advantage.

I'm really interested to see how ZvZ play evolves over time...


I'm also playing in gold league, and I also almost never loose in ZvZ, and I NEVER go muta. If you go no ground units, I will know that you fast tech, I will pressure you with Roaches and going Lair asap my queen pop, with 4 hydras and my queen your muta are totally useless.
Attack is the best defense
Zelniq
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States7166 Posts
March 29 2010 16:19 GMT
#47
sweet I was going to write a thread about static D and defenders needing to have some sort of advantage, or to have more defensive units.

Dustin Browder has said before in an interview how they don't want static defenses to be able to hold off attacks/pushes, they just want it protect vs harassment. I think they have the wrong idea, perhaps they're thinking about the typical BW newbie who would just mass a bunch of cannons/sunkens and turtle and did not like that kind of play, and felt that static defenses shouldn't be able to hold off attacks. But everyone knows a player who invests in too much static defenses will be severely behind and the opponent can just take the rest of the map without concern and power-economy really hard. They really made it way too weak and it causes some major issues.

right now units are too equal in terms of attack/defense, with the exception to the siege tanks which is why, combined with walling-off and primarily ranged units, along with planetary fortresses they're the race most suited for being able to defend and hold positions. but with many readily available units that are much stronger versus buildings, increased army production, high mobility/terrain bypassing of units, lack of strong defensive (but harder/weaker to attack) units like the lurker/reaver, and no high ground penalties, the defender gets almost no advantages and is forced to just have a strong enough army to stop attacks.

ModeratorBlame yourself or God
Heyoka
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Katowice25012 Posts
March 29 2010 16:30 GMT
#48
On March 29 2010 22:23 Hot_Bid wrote:
Nice article!

Agree on a lot of points, especially ZvZ, that mu single handedly makes me not like playing Zerg.

I also think static D needs to be buffed and high ground needs to be changed.


I've always wondered what effect AMM has on this. In BW if you don't like one matchup, your choices are to dodge or race pick and it doesn't necessarily effect your overall race choice. But when a system is giving you players to play against and neither of those are viable, it makes me wonder if it skews the number of people picking that race. I've known people through the years who have switched races in WC3 because of it so surely it has some impact.

Great article! Agree on every point. I feel like the high ground issue is huge.
@RealHeyoka | ESL / DreamHack StarCraft Lead
LaughingTulkas
Profile Joined March 2008
United States1107 Posts
March 29 2010 16:34 GMT
#49
I loved the article great read!


I was wondering though if you had any specific improvements you would suggest? Like, "increase _____ of ______." Like if you were blizzard, what changes would you suggest? You'd want changes to increase the viability of defense without unbalancing any of the matchups. Do you think just a hp buff on all defense structures is good? Or damage increases to cannons/spine crawlers? What would you do if you could do anything right now (even if it needs tweaking later)

It's more for my own curiosity than anything else, as I don't have the beta.
"I love noobies, they're so happy." -Chill
Daycayday
Profile Joined March 2010
France9 Posts
March 29 2010 16:41 GMT
#50
On March 30 2010 00:30 xDaunt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2010 00:16 Innovation wrote:
Most toss still roach counter with a nasty immortal/stalker/sentry or immortal/zealot/sentry timing attack. Speedlings do acceptionally well against this combo with either a few roach or banelings mixed in. Most of the time you can have some muta's popped by this point too. Always use pincher/suround attacks forcing toss between ur static defense and units. while not as effective you can still use sim city to your advantage.

In most cases if you survive the attack its gg if you re and pump/rally to toss base. If not then continue to up grades while taking map controll expanding creep...avoid direct confrontation with sentry heavy army. engage/snipe and run until macro mode/grades are just too much and overrun him.



Maybe I'm off-base, but I've found that zerg have a very difficult time defending the immortal/zealot/sentry timing attack, particularly when they early expand. I time the attack to when I have +1 weapons done and 2 immortals out. My force is very zealot heavy with 5-6 sentries in support. Roaches and lings get dropped very quickly, particularly if I place my forcefields well. Zerg that go mutas will usually have their first 4-6 popping out right as I attack, which never have been enough to prevent either severe economic damage or outright defeat. Hydras seem to fair better, but I don't have enough experience against FE => hydra builds to really comment.


Against Toss, the FE or not may depend on the map. On small map it's harder to contain the timing attack immortal/zealot/sentry. I usually do roaches to hydra, and can pop few hydra by the time is attacking which is enought to stop this units compo, and I expand then.
Attack is the best defense
Skeggaba
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Korea (South)1556 Posts
March 29 2010 17:37 GMT
#51
Great article (even though I actually liked the previous one even more due to the hilarious stories from the very first patches of SCI with invincible drones e.g :D)!

Regarding the high ground advantage: doesnt this also limit mapmaking alot? This might have been discussed before but there are really no big difference with a map with a ramp to high ground than to a map with a narrow choke. This - i believe - will limit the diversity of mapping in SCII,
Bisu[about JD]=I was scared (laughs). The force emanating from his facial expression was so manly that I was even a little jealous.
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
March 29 2010 17:39 GMT
#52
Great read!

I definitely get your point about static defenses and a smaller, defensive army in order to save resources for tech that we saw so much in broodwar being downright impossible in SC2 (unless a terran can get tanks on cliffs). There does need to be some change where a player can actively chose to have a smaller army with a few defenses and be safe, but give up any ability to attack.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
QibingZero
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
2611 Posts
March 29 2010 17:43 GMT
#53
Blizzard still seems deathly afraid of anything resembling static defense approaching WC3 levels, even though BW clearly had the most balanced static defense you could imagine. Granted, WC3 static defense was one of the largest annoyances out there. However, with the numbers of units we're talking about in SC2, it shouldn't be hard.

What really gets me about defense right now is trying to hold off any early harassment/rushes with 45hp vulnerable SCVs and slow building marines. It's just an exercise in futility, and I'm dreading the first few minutes against good players (even when it's just a probe annoying my rax-building SCV endlessly) more than any other.
Oh, my eSports
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
March 29 2010 17:49 GMT
#54
Good article!
I really enjoyed ZvZ in BW just because of the micro-intensive battles, but now it's just devolved into something even more basic. Of course, that's saying I want SC2 to be a copy of SCBW.

We're still early in the Beta now, so let's see how things get changed before the actual game comes up.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Pyrthas
Profile Joined March 2007
United States3196 Posts
March 29 2010 17:56 GMT
#55
On March 29 2010 22:13 Liquid`Drone wrote:
This promotes a style of play where players want to build enough units to attack at a particular moment, rather than in BW, where players could also opt for defending for a certain period of time to allow themselves to either reach a level of tech or economy that would grant them a huge advantage at a later point.

This is probably the thing I've noticed more than anything else while watching streams. I really hope it gets fixed before release; you've certainly done a nice job of cataloguing all the different features of sc2 that lead to it.
Mastermind
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Canada7096 Posts
March 29 2010 18:08 GMT
#56
On March 30 2010 01:04 0neder wrote:
Isn't it 'defense' ? Am I crazy or does everyone misspell it? (good article btw!)

You Americans like to spell many words differently then the rest of the English speaking world.
ProoM
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Lithuania1741 Posts
March 29 2010 18:11 GMT
#57
On March 29 2010 23:12 Xith wrote:
Good read, as to be expected from TL.


Show nested quote +
On March 29 2010 22:57 LuDwig- wrote:
About the ZvZ: i suppose the scout problem can be solved in two ways:
1)remove queen air attack
2)slowing down zergling without leg upgrade (it would make possible to scout with worker witout being alwas killed)

1. That would remove early zerg air defense and move ZvZ scouting back to BW times, lair tech + building for air defense. Plus in SC2 zergs don't rush Hydras in the same way they did with mutas in bw.
2. That would hurt zerglings a lot versus normal units though. A better solution would be something like moving the bonus speed on creep to lair tech. (Not an actual tech itself, it just becomes activated when your lair finishes.)

orrr they could just move hydras back to tier 1 and take queens ability to attack air away .
IMBA - International Mountain Bicycling Association.
HazMat
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States17077 Posts
March 29 2010 18:12 GMT
#58
On March 29 2010 22:34 Senx wrote:
Why can't you just drop a changeling in the zergs base? Will the queen auto attack it?

No, he means scouting before lair goes up.
www.youtube.com/user/ShakeDrizzle | League and SSBM content creator | Armada's Youtube Editor
C0rrupt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States57 Posts
March 29 2010 18:44 GMT
#59
Love the corsiar scoutting in BW.
The corruption has begun
sLiniss
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States849 Posts
March 29 2010 19:08 GMT
#60
I agree, scouting is EVERYTHING. As I play more and more games, I have to say that superior scouting allows for me to make the best possible units to counter my opponent.

And yes... ZvZ is definitly annoying with queens being a very early and effective anti-air. Ovies can't even get near to mineral like on some maps like metalopolis.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft384
RuFF_SC2 187
-ZergGirl 108
Nina 98
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2065
sorry 44
910 31
Bale 24
NotJumperer 16
yabsab 11
ZergMaN 10
Icarus 6
Dota 2
LuMiX1
League of Legends
JimRising 649
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1105
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox830
Mew2King11
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor0
Other Games
summit1g7513
WinterStarcraft359
C9.Mang0265
Livibee154
Sick141
Maynarde121
ArmadaUGS43
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick653
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream200
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2292
League of Legends
• Stunt422
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
5h 45m
Stellar Fest
7h 45m
The PondCast
1d 4h
OSC
1d 7h
Stellar Fest
1d 7h
OSC
1d 18h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.