• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:27
CEST 06:27
KST 13:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)26Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9007 users

[N]A Mostly Normal Game of Mafia - Page 5

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16 17 Next All
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 29 2020 23:41 GMT
#887
On November 30 2020 08:39 Trfel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2020 08:30 Hapahauli wrote:
Trfel - talk to me about this "you or me" thing. Why does one of us have to be mafia?

Obviously throw out everything I'm about to say if we have another blue claim, but 2 mafia + Evil Mastermind is a fucking disaster for town without a lot of blue-role backup. In my view, you're confirmed town with FF.
Yes, I agree that that is a terrible setup for town. And honestly, this is where things get complicated for me with the whole setup thing.

2 mafia, 1 evil mastermind, 7 town seems like a really rough setup. However, the bodyguard also confirms a town. Going down to 6 town when (presumably) the evil mastermind recruits a town, if all of us are blue you are saying that 4/6 town in the game are confirmed? Three blues and a bodyguard? That seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I agree that maybe that's actually more balanced... it just feels excessive? I've only ever seen three blues in a non-mason game once before I think, mayyyybe twice... but last time it happened, I think we would have been more likely to win the game if it wasn't for having three blues because that made one of the blues doubt the alignment of another.

I guess it's not for sure but it seems likely, setup-wise? Because that would be so many confirmed town. Also, in a setup with so much KP, would they really put more KP in the game? I would have maybe expected another doctor or something to try and gain town an extra mislynch, but more KP seems strange.

I dunno for sure. I feel like you are towny otherwise, I looked through your filter and I don't see good reasons to call you mafia... But it's really really hard for me to see four confirmed town in a 10-player game.


Thing is, you are forgetting about the Evil Mastermind, and how much that fucks town if a blue is recruited.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 29 2020 23:42 GMT
#889
3 blues is certainly a town "buff".

But is also a 3p buff.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 29 2020 23:45 GMT
#894
On November 30 2020 08:42 raynpelikoneet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2020 08:40 Hapahauli wrote:
On November 30 2020 08:37 raynpelikoneet wrote:
On November 30 2020 08:35 Hapahauli wrote:
On November 30 2020 08:34 raynpelikoneet wrote:
i want you guys to explanin (hapa and trfel) why this game has 50% of the townies blue?


Because if this exact scenario.

A "normally" balanced Mini is usually 3 mislynches = loss.

With the "evil mastermind" in the setup, 2 mislynches = loss.

Town needs a fuckton of help in this seutp.

i think 2 blues and a confirmed town in bg is already enough.

Now why am i mafia?


In my mind, it's you, TT, or Vivax.

Of the three, I am probably the most confident in Vivax being mafia.

I have to sit down and read you and TT, and I will likely not have thoughts until a very deep readthrough. A readthrough that I won't do right this second, because talking with you and Trfel is the priority.

But you said it's me and Vivax most likely? Like i know you prolly have vivax as your top scum but hah....


Rayn, you are too good of a player for me to point at anything specific in your filter to find a scumslip. That is not a realistic way of how I am going to catch you. And even if there is something "suspicious", it's not like there's a way to argue against it. You're a good scum player, and I respect that.

But my sense of your play is twofold:
1) You have been more "passive" than normal. I have had the "luck" of being able to really easily town read you based on your "rage" in the last two games I've played with you, and I do not have that luxury this game.
2) Nothing that you are doing is out of the scope of your scumplay.

Fuck, I can even come up with good reasons against why my reads don't hold water, so you don't have to do it for me. But right now, we're in process of elimination territory.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 29 2020 23:47 GMT
#897
On November 30 2020 08:42 raynpelikoneet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2020 08:41 Hapahauli wrote:
On November 30 2020 08:39 Trfel wrote:
On November 30 2020 08:30 Hapahauli wrote:
Trfel - talk to me about this "you or me" thing. Why does one of us have to be mafia?

Obviously throw out everything I'm about to say if we have another blue claim, but 2 mafia + Evil Mastermind is a fucking disaster for town without a lot of blue-role backup. In my view, you're confirmed town with FF.
Yes, I agree that that is a terrible setup for town. And honestly, this is where things get complicated for me with the whole setup thing.

2 mafia, 1 evil mastermind, 7 town seems like a really rough setup. However, the bodyguard also confirms a town. Going down to 6 town when (presumably) the evil mastermind recruits a town, if all of us are blue you are saying that 4/6 town in the game are confirmed? Three blues and a bodyguard? That seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I agree that maybe that's actually more balanced... it just feels excessive? I've only ever seen three blues in a non-mason game once before I think, mayyyybe twice... but last time it happened, I think we would have been more likely to win the game if it wasn't for having three blues because that made one of the blues doubt the alignment of another.

I guess it's not for sure but it seems likely, setup-wise? Because that would be so many confirmed town. Also, in a setup with so much KP, would they really put more KP in the game? I would have maybe expected another doctor or something to try and gain town an extra mislynch, but more KP seems strange.

I dunno for sure. I feel like you are towny otherwise, I looked through your filter and I don't see good reasons to call you mafia... But it's really really hard for me to see four confirmed town in a 10-player game.


Thing is, you are forgetting about the Evil Mastermind, and how much that fucks town if a blue is recruited.

MY POINT EXACTLY; WHY YOU CLAIM STINKKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!


Then why didn't you vote me yesterday? I all but claimed in my posting after my roleblock claim fiasco that I was a Mad Hatter. This should have been apparent to you then.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 29 2020 23:48 GMT
#898
And I know you aren't stupid enough not to pick up on that.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 29 2020 23:48 GMT
#901
On November 27 2020 06:17 Hapahauli wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 27 2020 06:13 raynpelikoneet wrote:
On November 27 2020 06:11 Hapahauli wrote:
On November 27 2020 06:08 raynpelikoneet wrote:
I am thinking if i can actually solve the game right now.


Mechanically speaking, a VT. It would mean that in the remainder of the town, there would be 1-2 blue claims (given the 2 scum + evil mastermind, there is likely another town blue floating around to give the town a chance), in addition to 1 confirmed bodyguard claim. Pretty hard for scum to overcome.

what?


If I was mayor (in your position), I'd want to be VT, because it would be slightly easier for me to "solve" the game from my perspective in a mass claim situation.

If you are referring to whether or not a mayor should be VT or Blue in general, it just depends on the blue role we are talking about. Mayor CPR doc is obviously insane. Mayor JK is pretty insane. Mayor [investigative role] is pretty good, though that is unlikely given Slam's flip.

a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 29 2020 23:50 GMT
#903
In that whole post, I'm saying that running for mayor is good with CPR Doc, JK, and Investigative role.

So if I'm not running for mayor, that leaves two things: Mad Hatter or Vigi.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 29 2020 23:53 GMT
#907
And running for mayor is pretty insane with vigi, since I could shoot someone and instantly confirm the mayor role as town.

Mad Hatter is the only damn role in the game that I wouldn't run for mayor, because I basically can't use the fucking role if I'm mayor.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 29 2020 23:56 GMT
#910
On November 30 2020 08:54 raynpelikoneet wrote:
likewhat is the dioffernce? VT, mafia, mad hatter, vigi? For you. How am i suppose to to do anything with that info, aside from telling you are NOT VT.


My post admits that it is a good idea to run for mayor with a shit ton of blue roles. The flip side is that it is not necessarily optimal to run with certain roles, or really, a particular role. I wonder which one I left out of that post.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 29 2020 23:57 GMT
#912
On November 30 2020 08:56 Trfel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2020 08:53 Hapahauli wrote:
And running for mayor is pretty insane with vigi, since I could shoot someone and instantly confirm the mayor role as town.

Mad Hatter is the only damn role in the game that I wouldn't run for mayor, because I basically can't use the fucking role if I'm mayor.
Huh, interesting..........

So you didn't run for mayor purely because of your Mad Hatter role? In that, you were hoping to die and take someone out with you?


Correct.

My view was that:
1) I wanted to actually use my role, and/or;
2) If mafia was smart enough to pick up on that from the setup, I basically was guaranteed to stay alive and dodge shots, regardless of whether or not I was "protected".
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 30 2020 00:01 GMT
#915
This is one of the things that actually points to mafia-Rayn as opposed to town-Rayn, because I find it very unlikely that he didn't speculate about my role and which role in the setup would make sense if I didn't want to run for mayor.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 30 2020 00:02 GMT
#917
On November 27 2020 06:30 raynpelikoneet wrote:
I genuinely thought you were a vet because to me it only made sense why you would not run for mayor, then i saw there is no vet in the roles....


And as a reminder, he read the setup in detail.,
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 30 2020 00:04 GMT
#918
Anyway, I'm ranting. I'm going to do a deep read, sleep on things, and give more collected thoughts tomorrow.

I'll be around to chat for the rest of the night otherwise while I'm taking notes.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 30 2020 00:08 GMT
#921
On November 30 2020 09:01 Tictock wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2020 08:30 Hapahauli wrote:
Trfel - talk to me about this "you or me" thing. Why does one of us have to be mafia?

Obviously throw out everything I'm about to say if we have another blue claim, but 2 mafia + Evil Mastermind is a fucking disaster for town without a lot of blue-role backup. In my view, you're confirmed town with FF.


You are not considering Mayor/Pardoner/Bodyguard as town favored balancing.


This is a fair point. Bodyguard is a +town thing.

I don't know much about balancing with 3P but EM isn't that strong of a role that I think town needs 3 blues.


Incorrect. Think about this: EM can recruit the fucking mayor. I didn't see any rule against that. Do you realize how insane that is?

Also giving town a hatter to compensate 3P KP doesn't make much sense to me as that seems like it would make the game even harder for town.


Also incorrect. Consider the situation that we are in: me killing a fellow townie (in the event that I got shot) does not at all change how many mislynches the town is allowed.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 30 2020 00:10 GMT
#923
I think it was very easily deduced from my posting about what blue role I was.

As for why I wasn't killed, two plausible reasons:
1) I basically afk'd for 3 days.
2) Why would you shoot the Mad Hatter if you believe he is likely to deliver KP on mafia (i.e. Vivax)?
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 30 2020 00:37 GMT
#938
On November 30 2020 09:31 raynpelikoneet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2020 09:10 Hapahauli wrote:
I think it was very easily deduced from my posting about what blue role I was.

As for why I wasn't killed, two plausible reasons:
1) I basically afk'd for 3 days.
2) Why would you shoot the Mad Hatter if you believe he is likely to deliver KP on mafia (i.e. Vivax)?


Literally, whywould youbelieve you have a bomb on someone if you were rb'd N1?


You are making way too many assumptions into what I am saying.

I didn't believe that I had a "bomb" on Vivax. Nowhere do I state that, beyond saying that I targeted him on N1 and was roleblocked.

If mafia chooses not to roleblock me on N2, they are not going to shoot me, because from their perspective, I am still fairly likely (given my filter) to bomb Vivax, who I believe is mafia.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 30 2020 00:40 GMT
#942
On November 30 2020 09:16 Trfel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2020 09:10 Hapahauli wrote:
I think it was very easily deduced from my posting about what blue role I was.

As for why I wasn't killed, two plausible reasons:
1) I basically afk'd for 3 days.
2) Why would you shoot the Mad Hatter if you believe he is likely to deliver KP on mafia (i.e. Vivax)?
As for point 2, that requires mafia being extremely smart.... I don't know if mafia is that smart

I suppose they could have assumed that I would jailkeep you again, thus roleblocking you, but that seems risky.


All I am saying is that you can piece it together from my filter. What is the only role in the entire blue-list that cannot be used as mayor? It's not that hard to put together, and you don't have to be that smart to put it together.

Also, why wouldn't the assumption that I be "saved" again be unlikely from a mafia perspective?
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 30 2020 00:42 GMT
#943
On November 30 2020 09:40 raynpelikoneet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2020 09:31 raynpelikoneet wrote:
On November 30 2020 09:10 Hapahauli wrote:
I think it was very easily deduced from my posting about what blue role I was.

As for why I wasn't killed, two plausible reasons:
1) I basically afk'd for 3 days.
2) Why would you shoot the Mad Hatter if you believe he is likely to deliver KP on mafia (i.e. Vivax)?


Literally, whywould youbelieve you have a bomb on someone if you were rb'd N1?

Explain this then Hapa?


You are misreading my post.

I do not believe I had any chance of killing Vivax on N1.

I'm saying that if you look at my filter objectively from the start of N2, who is my likely target for a bomb? I believe it is Vivax.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 30 2020 00:46 GMT
#947
On November 30 2020 09:43 Tictock wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2020 09:37 Hapahauli wrote:

If mafia chooses not to roleblock me on N2, they are not going to shoot me, because from their perspective, I am still fairly likely (given my filter) to bomb Vivax, who I believe is mafia.


So you agree that mafia should have RB and Killed you?


I believe mafia had two reasonable plays:
1) They can RB/Kill me if they think I am difficult to lynch in MYLO;
2) If they think I'm not a "dangerous" blue role, they can try to snipe the bodyguard or another blue role.

Mafia know that I was JK'd N1. Would they risk shooting me knowing that I am a target for protection? I think not, but you be the judge.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
November 30 2020 00:48 GMT
#949
On November 30 2020 09:46 Tictock wrote:
And if you are going to say, well mafia didn't RB me D1 it was Trfel

Then who did the RB on Trfel?


Mafia Roleblocker obviously, unless another JK wants to claim.

If Mafia RB'd a VT on D1, that VT doesn't receive a notification.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 188
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2120
Snow 95
NaDa 41
Bale 27
Noble 20
Icarus 5
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm170
Counter-Strike
taco 526
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1405
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1135
WinterStarcraft602
Other Games
summit1g8145
Doublelift2200
JimRising 655
PiGStarcraft315
C9.Mang0188
ArmadaUGS168
Maynarde135
ViBE84
Sick2
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick730
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream158
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki151
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota276
League of Legends
• Lourlo1273
• Rush803
• Stunt311
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
5h 34m
OSC
8h 34m
Stellar Fest
8h 34m
OSC
19h 34m
Stellar Fest
1d 8h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.