• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:32
CEST 17:32
KST 00:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7808 users

[C][M][T] Survivor Series Mafia - Page 7

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next All
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 18 2014 17:46 GMT
#3208
On February 19 2014 01:50 Oatsmaster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2014 01:45 yamato77 wrote:
On February 19 2014 00:57 Palmar wrote:
I am liberally reading "I think it's clear", I guess, but assuming that is indeed your belief, the game is solved from your point of view if you're town. I wonder how that could possibly have gone past you?

As with anything in mafia, everything I say can be assumed to be qualified with the statement "I could be wrong, but".

As for my perspective, yes, it's likely solved, which is why I find it important to argue down my lynch. Still, it's still a good idea to have an idea of why we pick who we pick to lynch outside of the four of us (me, you, VE, HF), which is why I asked you about Oats specifically.

Huh this is really weird, normally people ask for someone else's reads to get a read on said person. yamato clearly cant be doing that so I dont even know what he is doing.

I am quite clearly asking Palmar why he thinks you're a good lynch. This is just a flat out lie.
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 18 2014 17:57 GMT
#3209
I have twenty minutes left in my time to play today, and that last post was egregious enough. He's obviously not even reading the thread.

Hopefully you all realize that there's no good argument for why I'm mafia and make the right decision.

##Vote Oatsmaster
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 18 2014 18:05 GMT
#3211
So you don't think Oats is mafia now?

What gives you trepidation, exactly?
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 18 2014 18:14 GMT
#3215
On February 19 2014 03:08 Palmar wrote:
put your vote on risen instead pls. I will fix mine when I am back at a computer. can't go into explanations until after you've gone

I guess I'll just have to trust you not to fuck it up while I'm gone.

##Vote Risen
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 19 2014 00:37 GMT
#3356
I was alive endgame as scum.

Obviously this is belt material.
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 19 2014 00:45 GMT
#3366
I wouldn't have posted more as town.
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 19 2014 01:24 GMT
#3428
On February 19 2014 09:51 VisceraEyes wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2014 09:49 iamperfection wrote:
On February 19 2014 09:45 yamato77 wrote:
I wouldn't have posted more as town.

bs

Just don't bother - he can do no wrong and his is ALWAYS the right play.

I don't understand this aggression towards me.
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 19 2014 01:27 GMT
#3432
On February 19 2014 10:26 Grackaroni wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2014 10:24 yamato77 wrote:
On February 19 2014 09:51 VisceraEyes wrote:
On February 19 2014 09:49 iamperfection wrote:
On February 19 2014 09:45 yamato77 wrote:
I wouldn't have posted more as town.

bs

Just don't bother - he can do no wrong and his is ALWAYS the right play.

I don't understand this aggression towards me.

He's angry.

Why is he angry at me?

Did I do something?
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 19 2014 01:34 GMT
#3437
For the record, I not saying I played exactly how I would have as town. That is false. I would have posted much better posts as town. Just not more. As it was, I was still obviously mafia.
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 19 2014 01:35 GMT
#3438
Also, I was a dick to Cora. Let him off easy.
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-19 03:44:53
February 19 2014 03:44 GMT
#3449
On February 19 2014 12:20 VisceraEyes wrote:
I still consider it a misplay from the first Nomination that scum didn't Nominate someone from their team early on. The reward potentially outweighs the risk imo. Especially if scum are found on the lynch if the Nominated scum gets lynched.


EDIT: Derp, you're talking about your game. Nevermind.
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 19 2014 04:52 GMT
#3453
We did bus geript a bit much.
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 19 2014 08:54 GMT
#3469
As a general note, however, I would like to say that this setup was really, really poor.

The original was undoubtedly town favored, with the long nomination cycles and no scum kill contributing to an atmosphere where the better town players would probably live forever and eventually solve the game, as the earliest LYLO achievable was still a significant chunk of game time in. This was talked about to some degree.

The changes made to compensate were a bit drastic. The singular scum NK was just a band-aid on the overall problem - strong townies can dominate this setup. Had marv played more during the ACTUAL lynch phases, I think this game would have been wholly different, but alas, he did not, and we were able to kill him before he got too involved.

The length of the cycles was also just too short. Scum controlled time disproportionately, with 2/3 of the game past D1 being of questionable use to town, compared to 3/5 in the original setup. This change doesn't seem that drastic, but 24 hours for town to decide a lynch is not long enough, no matter how much it was discussed the day before. Perhaps 36 hour lynch days balanced against 12 hour dawns + 24 nomination lynches would have been better. You would have kept the 72 hour cycle intact (which I suppose was the objective) while giving town more time to actually play. This might have generated deadline differences, but the deadline isn't as important as the overall amount of time given to town. The town-controlled lynches would have had the same deadline anyway.

I think the Nomination mechanic is interesting, but ultimately flawed. TL simply has too many players who are disproportionately good at town for such a demanding mechanic to be viable. As it was, the setup's balancing act actually tipped the scales towards mafia, at least in my opinion. I had no business surviving with how I played this game, especially against Marv/Rayn/Palmar/VE. I only evaded the lynch because town didn't really have the time to consider me properly, given that there were significant distractions within town that overshadowed my lackluster effort.

On the last day, there was almost zero margin for error. If I get lynched, the two remaining mafia players have to choose between putting up one of risen/oats (effectively removing an option for the next LYLO's mislynch) or putting one of themselves up and risk losing yet another member and likely the game. Seeing as Palmar/VE were considered town by everyone, they would have been forced into choosing between Risen/Oats and then going all-in on the next LYLO to win, which was much riskier.

I will say, I think I played mostly alright D1. It's the second time I've actually been able to successfully mislynch my target of choice. Cora presented himself as a fairly easy target, and I did take advantage of the fact that I knew he would get demotivated if someone called him mafia early on, as is his tendency. But truly, it's not so much that I made it happen, more that the majority of people weren't really trying to find mafia at all D1, so his lynch was basically the only thing that happened. Town only really discussed one other person's alignment in great detail, and that was due to Palmar's successful D1 efforts to put pressure on geript.

My play past D1 was fairly bad. I managed to evade the lynch with some effective WIFOM and timely posting, but as Grack pointed out, I was fairly obviously mafia. While I wouldn't have had any more time as town to play this game than I did as mafia (obviously), the difference was that I was clearly motivated to post only as a means to continue to survive, and did not do much aside from trying to confuse town aside from that. I almost didn't fight my lynch at LYLO until I saw Palmar waffling about, and thought I might be able to make something happen.

The rest of my team played well. We all had periods of inactivity, but I think we each managed to carry through well enough. Had geript not replaced out, I think we might have ended the game without losing a member, which would have been fantastic. As it was, I don't blame Keir, we all bussed geript somewhat while he was afk. Wave played well enough to fool everyone not-marv for a significant portion of the game. HF played the best, obviously. I didn't read basically anything he posted, but he was out of the discussion completely at LYLO aside from Risen's ill-fated voting, so he obviously did something right.

There were 6 actual members of town, and 4 players who cost town the game. Koshi/Grack/VE/Palmar/Marv/Rayn all had their segments of the game where they were either super townie, or spot on with reads, or both. They all played well enough to become unlynchable. In this setup, that is invaluable. If scum has too many good townies to kill, they bascially automatically lose in a setup like this.

The other 4 players did not play well enough. Risen, Oats, Vayne, and Cora dragged town down enough that even a bad mafia player like me was able to avoid the lynch. I do not know that there was meaningful analysis anywhere in any of these four filters. Outside of knowing that these players are bad, and expecting them to be bad, there was no good way for a townie to clear them. Unfortunately for town, they could not adequately move past these roadblocks without exceptional insight that no one should be expected to have realistically. I don't think a single player on this forum would have called all four of these players town this game.

I read from both Risen and VA that both of them were intentionally playing badly to achieve things that had nothing to do with winning the game at hand. Why is this sort of play tolerated? We all agree, we want everyone to play to win, so why are some players playing simply to effect how people read them in future games? Is it fun to you guys to play with Vayne when his stated objective is to be an unreadable troll?

As for Oats, I think there was something different at play. I don't think he plays intentionally to be unreadable, but the effect of his time commitment to this game is just that. I know he's played better before, and most players who played with him could read him fairly accurately, but as of late, I do not see that. Perhaps it is as simple as the amount of time he spends posting in a game.

For Cora, I think the problem is literally that virtually everyone is rather mean to him. He is surely an abrasive person, but it does not help that a significant portion of this forum shows active contempt for him and excludes him. Asshole or not, immature or not, he's not going to be readable if he's not involved in the game, and it's exceptionally difficult to do that when everyone's just a prick.

Overall, I did not particularly enjoy playing this game. It's fun to win, especially since I've only won one other time as mafia, but it wasn't a satisfying win for me, personally. I do not particularly enjoy being mafia, and despite my efforts to motivate myself, I was unable to stay focused on this game and continue playing at a level I think I am able to play at. I do not know that I'll every enjoy being mafia, I'm just not that kind of person.

I also truly did not care to play in a game that no one seemed motivated to play in at all. I do not get the feeling that anyone liked playing in this game, that it was overall a frustrating experience for many. Marv stated being demotivated. VE was obviously frustrated throughout the game. I believe Wave even commented on how un-fun the game was for him at some point. I haven't enjoyed playing as much in the past few games I've joined, so I think I'm going to just take a break from TL Mafia, because I'm not really helping anything.

Hopefully, in my absence, some dialogue goes on about how the players on this forum wish the game to be played, and we can agree on some better guidelines for play, but as it is, I don't think I care to play in the current atmosphere.
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 19 2014 08:54 GMT
#3471
Well, that ended up a lot longer than I wanted it to.
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 19 2014 09:00 GMT
#3474
It wasn't that bad, but it wasn't good, either.
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 19 2014 09:03 GMT
#3477
On February 19 2014 18:01 VisceraEyes wrote:
I think the NK was unnecessary. Scum can make use of the nomination phases to position themselves if they play proactively, I don't think the original Nomination setup required a change. But I didn't feel particularly hobbled this game by the NK either, I think the game was very winnable as town even with marv getting shot.

In the end, while frustrating, I had a good time playing it mostly. Sometimes. I guess because I took longer breaks from it than I should have. It gets away from you quickly, though that wasn't as much of a problem once the activity on the whole plummeted.

NK was almost assuredly necessary, given the context of this game. A townie playing properly, as Marv/Rayn/Palmar all did early on, will not be lynched over a mafia player playing anything less than twice as well as they are. It's a rather unfair demand of scum to be less lynchable than the best townies in the game or just concede that they will never die.
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 19 2014 09:05 GMT
#3479
On February 19 2014 18:02 VisceraEyes wrote:
Like I had lingering suspicion that Palmar was scum playing me the way Wave and HF were ACTUALLY playing me. He was basically unlynchable from the very first Nomination. Imagine if he /were/ scum.

But he wasn't. It was literally suicide for any mafia player to be put up in that Nomination. None of us would have gotten through that phase.
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-19 09:06:15
February 19 2014 09:05 GMT
#3480
On February 19 2014 18:05 VisceraEyes wrote:
That's the POINT of the game though yamato, to be townie enough to be nominated for lynch by scum. Scum HAVE to try and play that way too to blend in. It's not the setup's fault that most players don't play that way.

I don't think ANY scum player can reliably fake being townier than the towniest townies.
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 19 2014 09:15 GMT
#3482
Except then we're trading "soft-confirming" geript (which is debatable) for the life of one of Rayn/Marv/Palmar AND losing a person we want to mislynch on a regular day.
Writer@WriterYamato
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 19 2014 09:44 GMT
#3486
On February 19 2014 18:21 VisceraEyes wrote:
Why on a regular day? In my fictional scum fairytale we're putting your "regular mislynch" players in the Nominations. You want to mislynch the good townies on regular days. We're talking about scum who are playing proactively, not the lurky bullshit aloofly distracted playstyle you guys were doing.

I don't think that's ever going to happen.
Writer@WriterYamato
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1049
ComeBackTV 950
SteadfastSC943
TaKeTV 570
IndyStarCraft 185
Rex153
EnkiAlexander 87
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 943
IndyStarCraft 185
Rex 153
ProTech128
BRAT_OK 35
MindelVK 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 47972
Bisu 2179
Horang2 1094
Hyuk 987
EffOrt 982
Soma 612
Shuttle 611
Mini 466
BeSt 451
Light 430
[ Show more ]
Larva 347
ZerO 217
Rush 194
Leta 91
firebathero 77
Mong 65
Sea.KH 62
910 61
Snow 53
Pusan 53
Liquid`Ret 46
Sexy 38
Yoon 36
ToSsGirL 35
Trap 30
Aegong 25
Bale 24
JYJ 24
Terrorterran 19
Shine 17
Rock 16
Sacsri 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7646
qojqva1518
Counter-Strike
Fnx 820
fl0m40
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1406
Khaldor1224
Lowko454
Other Games
singsing1972
hiko1685
Beastyqt575
B2W.Neo426
Livibee211
Hui .178
Liquid`VortiX150
KnowMe134
ArmadaUGS121
XaKoH 115
Mew2King78
QueenE77
DeMusliM11
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV205
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream90
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 26
• StrangeGG 18
• Gemini_19 10
• mYiSmile110
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 33
• Michael_bg 7
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3479
Other Games
• Shiphtur253
Upcoming Events
OSC
6h 28m
CranKy Ducklings
18h 28m
Online Event
19h 28m
FEL
1d
AI Arena Tournament
1d 1h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 3h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 18h
INu's Battles
1d 20h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.