• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:15
CEST 15:15
KST 22:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8590 users

Surprisingly Normal Mini Mafia VI - Page 2

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 14 15 16 Next All
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
September 13 2011 01:51 GMT
#21
I just reread the set-ups and I'm not sure if that thing is correct or a typo so I'll quote:
Set Up:
1 Mafia Role Blocker, 2 Mafia Goons, 7 Town, 1 Medic, 1 Detective
1 Mafia Role Blocker, 2 Mafia Goons, 9 Town

3 Mafia Goons, 1 Medic, 8 Town.
3 Mafia Goons, 1 Detective, 8 Town.


Those 2 bottom ones look perfectly "balanced " between each other, 3 goons vs either 1medi+8 town OR 3 goons vs 1 dt+8 town. Looks good, 3 red, both times the same vs 8green+1blue on both.
However the first 2 are kinda crazy if you ask me.
It's either mafia vs 7 town + 1medic + 1dt or it's mafia vs 9 towns. So basicly, while red teams stays exactly the same again, town might play with 7 greens and 2 blues or with no blues at all.

This is my first ever mafia so I don't know if I'm talking bullshit right now, I just read it once again to get a view thougths about it and it seems strange to me so I'm asking about it. That one option is basicly just the same, except that it seems to be "weaker" in every possible aspect
Is there a reason for this? For example, take the 2nd one, if red turns out to be 3 guys playing for the first time, while town got all of those 2nd, or 3rd time players (i.e "buffin red 'cause they're 'bunch of noobs")? Or ist it a type and the second one needs to be buffed?
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
September 13 2011 02:07 GMT
#22
Obviously I should not post at 3.51 am in the morning on tl.net after playing some poker with a few of my friends.

Is the not editing rule already in place although the game hasn't startet yet? :D
Would not have made a new post just for the spelling issues. I guess everyone knew what was meant anyway but since I'm combining that one with another question I'm fine, right? :p

Although another thought on the question one post above. I guess it should be 2 blues on 1st set and 2nd set right?
It's basicly: 1 blue for town if mafia does not have a roleblocker or 2 blues for town if mafia does have a roleblocker.
But in that case you'd only need 3 sets, cause 7 townies+dt+medic is the same as 7 townies+medic+dt.
So it all comes down to: Is there a reason why one set is just way weaker than those other 3 ones.
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
redFF
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States3910 Posts
September 13 2011 03:08 GMT
#23
ill have limited access until friday but feel free to ask me about stuff and ill try to answer :3
GreYMisT
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States6736 Posts
September 13 2011 03:09 GMT
#24
All of these setups are pretty equally balanced, GMarshal can comment on your questions better than I can though.

The no editing role is just for when the game starts to prevent editing out information in your posts
"life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery" / Join TL Mafia! http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31
Foolishness *
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3044 Posts
September 13 2011 03:22 GMT
#25
You can edit your posts since the game hasn't started. Most people here will just double post since that's what we're used to, and this is the only place on TL where double posting is not frowned upon.

There are no typo's in the possible setups. They are designed this way to prevent either side from having complete information about the setup (at least at the start of the game). Consider the possibilities if we do what you suggested:

1 Mafia Role Blocker, 2 Mafia Goons, 7 Town, 1 Medic, 1 Detective
3 Mafia Goons, 1 Medic, 8 Town.
3 Mafia Goons, 1 Detective, 8 Town.

Say you are mafia and your team has a roleblocker. Then you know for absolute certainty that the town has a medic and a DT. However, if you get the DT role, you have no idea if there is a medic or not. This benefits the mafia as they have the information, and can use that to their advantage.

By adding in the fourth option, 1 Roleblocker 2 mafia 9 town, neither side has complete information anymore. Mafia have the roleblocker, but they have no idea whether they are up against 2 blues or not.

To say that the second setup is "weaker" for the town (or what have you) is not entirely true. This is especially true when the player base is good. For every good player, getting a blue role is a stocking stuffer; it's nice to have but not going to do that much in the long term. Good mafia players will kill the blues before they can pose a threat, and good town players never rely on blue roles to win the game.

Consider these two setups:

3 Mafia 1 medic 8 town
3 Mafia 9 town.

Is the first setup more town favored than the second? Yes. How much? Very little (remember the Medic cannot self protect). If we could run an experiment and test each of these 1000 times I doubt we'd see a significant difference in the outcomes. If you RNG these experiments they will converge to the same outcome as well (obviously doesn't mean anything to most people, but I find it interesting).

Also remember that mafia can (and should) counter claim any claiming attempt made by the town.
geript: "Foolishness's cases are persuasive and reasonable but leave you feeling dirty afterwards. Kinda like a whore." ---- Manager of the TL Mafia forum, come play!
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
September 13 2011 03:27 GMT
#26
Foolishness pretty much nailed it with his explanation.
Moderator
GreYMisT
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States6736 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-13 03:38:21
September 13 2011 03:37 GMT
#27
Haha, I was actually trying to type some of that foolishness, but my attempts to explain it with any sort of clarity were failing me, so i just shamelessly passed it off to you guys
"life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery" / Join TL Mafia! http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31
Nisani201
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1400 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-13 03:38:34
September 13 2011 03:37 GMT
#28
On September 13 2011 12:22 Foolishness wrote:
There are no typo's in the possible setups

-----

In other news, /in.

nvmd, I didn't see that this was for new players only.
Enjoy your day.
Ciryandor
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States3735 Posts
September 13 2011 08:48 GMT
#29
/in!

Something less freaky for my tastes so I can practice my game skills. Somebody PM me when it starts. :p
에일리 and 아이유 <3 - O Captain 박재혁 ・゚✧*:・*゚+..。✧・゚:*・..。 ✧・゚ :・゚* ゜・*:・ ✧・゚:・゚:.。 ✧・゚ SPARKULING ・゜・:・゚✧*:・゚✧。*゚+..。 ✧・゚: ✧・゚:*・゜・:・゚✧*::
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
September 13 2011 09:30 GMT
#30
ah ok that explains a lot
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
Fatesgod
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada8 Posts
September 14 2011 02:50 GMT
#31
/in
LoL: iHavsgudspelin PSN:Fatesgod---Dunking Nooblords 24/7
Curu
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada2817 Posts
September 14 2011 02:52 GMT
#32
lmao might as well remake this to a Mini for smurfs GMan.
wat
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
September 14 2011 03:01 GMT
#33
On September 14 2011 11:52 Curu wrote:
lmao might as well remake this to a Mini for smurfs GMan.

Nah, I don't think anyone is stupid enough to risk my wrath and the accompanying consequences of smurfing in a newbie game. Especially with the pre-game IP checks, and such.
Moderator
GreYMisT
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States6736 Posts
September 15 2011 00:06 GMT
#34
I don't think anyone wants to bring the wrath of GMarshal all up in here
"life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery" / Join TL Mafia! http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31
Hesmyrr
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada5776 Posts
September 15 2011 00:40 GMT
#35
I'm actually surprised people did not expect like at least one smurf actually. I'm sure one of the vet players are joining in secretly as one of those "advisory" roles.
"If watching the MSL finals makes you a progamer, then anyone in Korea can do it." - Ha Tae Ki
wherebugsgo
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Japan10647 Posts
September 15 2011 01:12 GMT
#36
too bad I've played 3 games or I'd join this hahahaha
chaoser
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States5541 Posts
September 15 2011 01:19 GMT
#37
/in
Haven't you heard? I'm not an ex-progamer. I'm not a poker player. I'm not an admin of the site. I'm mother fucking Rekrul.
chaoser
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States5541 Posts
September 15 2011 01:20 GMT
#38
I'm a noob plz
Haven't you heard? I'm not an ex-progamer. I'm not a poker player. I'm not an admin of the site. I'm mother fucking Rekrul.
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-15 01:21:23
September 15 2011 01:20 GMT
#39
On September 15 2011 09:40 Hesmyrr wrote:
I'm actually surprised people did not expect like at least one smurf actually. I'm sure one of the vet players are joining in secretly as one of those "advisory" roles.

If there are any such "advisor smurfs" its certainly news to me. I'm the host, so I expect I would be informed if there were.

EDIT: Oh, hi mr... chauser was it? I've never heard of you before, I'll just go ahead and plop you on the player list :-P
Moderator
OriginalName
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada1140 Posts
September 15 2011 01:37 GMT
#40
also Fatesgod is my younger brother so uh IPs might show up as the same.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 14 15 16 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 554
Railgan 60
MindelVK 27
Codebar 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 68105
Calm 10777
Bisu 2428
FanTaSy 857
Stork 731
Rush 560
soO 486
firebathero 213
Snow 179
Last 176
[ Show more ]
Mind 100
Light 98
hero 95
Pusan 78
Sharp 65
Sea.KH 56
Free 44
ToSsGirL 41
Trap 39
Hm[arnc] 34
Mong 33
Bale 33
Sexy 24
Aegong 21
zelot 16
HiyA 15
yabsab 15
Sacsri 12
Noble 12
Shine 10
IntoTheRainbow 9
Rock 6
scan(afreeca) 6
Terrorterran 6
Icarus 4
Dota 2
Gorgc6951
Dendi889
Counter-Strike
fl0m3652
byalli787
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King99
Other Games
gofns38757
singsing2344
B2W.Neo568
Liquid`RaSZi418
Beastyqt269
Pyrionflax248
Happy197
Hui .116
Trikslyr48
Chillindude15
Mlord2
Khaldor0
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV225
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 103
• Response 8
• Dystopia_ 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV500
League of Legends
• Jankos3031
• Nemesis2955
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1381
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 45m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 45m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 45m
OSC
9h 45m
Replay Cast
9h 45m
OSC
22h 45m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.