• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:20
CEST 03:20
KST 10:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War575.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9354 users

Surprisingly Normal Mini Mafia VI - Page 16

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 All
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
October 06 2011 19:29 GMT
#301
I do agree that this was not correct because of what chaoser said and because it's in the rules. Just wanted to make sure that I think it was a mistake and not on purpose.
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
October 06 2011 20:40 GMT
#302
On October 07 2011 04:01 GMarshal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 07 2011 03:21 chaoser wrote:
On October 06 2011 20:29 GMarshal wrote:
On October 06 2011 13:18 zany_001 wrote:
Yuss gg all, sorta.

I should note my role claiming mafia was intentional and calculated; it was most probable that I would be lynched anyway (assuming active town lol) so I decide to go out and take toad with me. Rayn pulling out like that messed things up and I thought it would have been over without risky attempts like mine; plus me calling mafia drew suspicion away from josh, what little there was.

Don't *ever* roleclaim mafia, you can fake dt or something, but claiming mafia is not playing to win, because it guarantees you will be lynched. Especially don't claim mafai 2 hours into day 2 when you can still divert the lynch -__-


Seriously, don't ever do this. I don't care if you didn't "mean" to be cheating or that it was a ploy. There are rules in the OP. Those rules get followed. The moment you slip on those rules is the moment you say fuck you to the game. The rules said to play to win and claiming you are mafia and then "outting" your team is not only using an "outside-the-game" mechanic but also opens to way to everyone else trying to claim mafia and "outting others" and seeing if they'll get modkilled or not.

Everyone knows outting your team is a bannable offense, a PERMANENT BANNABLE OFFENSE. So a fake "outting" not only confirms the other member as town but also doesn't work because since you won't be banned for a fake outting, everyone knows that. If you get lynched and flip mafia then:

1) you fake outted
2) the person you outted is town
3) you're mafia

Another situation that could go down is that you're actually town, you pretend to out your team. You don't get banned. You claim that since you didn't get banned that you are not mafia. In both situations outside-the-game mechanics are used to prove yourself as either mafia or not. This is basically the same thing as comparing PMs. Don't ever do it again.

This pretty much. I was saving the speil for the banlist, but chaoser beat me to it.

It boils down to exploiting out of game mechanics.

...
Nowhere in the rules does it say I can not role claim, nor does it say that I can't pretend that someone who is town is mafia. In fact, that would be good gameplay. My technique may have been unique to the situation, and perhaps very unexpected, but considering mafia is a game of deception, I think I was playing just fine. I was not trying to lose, I was trying to win through this special tactic. Whitera would approve, and you guys shouldn't mind that your players do unexpected things. If everyone followed a cookie cutter mafia style, mafia'd be pretty boring, and this mafia WAS pretty boring except for rayn and I's actions. Now, rayn's actions were bad because he was intentionally trying to lose, and he admits that. I was NOT trying to lose.
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
Curu
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada2817 Posts
October 06 2011 21:00 GMT
#303
See the thing is what if some asshole decides to claim Mafia and out his whole team? He will for sure get modkilled and the game is ruined.

By allowing what you did opens the door for Town players to say "I am Mafia, this is my team" and then by pointing out that he did not get modkilled confirm himself as Town. It just opens up a Pandora's Box of possible shit that is gaming the host and not actually playing the game.
wat
kitaman27 *
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9245 Posts
October 06 2011 21:08 GMT
#304
The only reasonable situation I've seen to claim mafia was an attempt to coordinate with a traitor at LYLO.

Another grey area situation I can forsee is when you know you are going to be lynched and want to "out" the identities of a Serial Killer or rival mafia team member. It technically might further your own win condition, but it could get sticky with a situation like Curu mentioned.
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff.
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
October 06 2011 21:09 GMT
#305
True. I didn't actually think about that. <.<
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
chaoser
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States5541 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-06 21:19:11
October 06 2011 21:18 GMT
#306
Nowhere in the rules does it say I can not role claim, nor does it say that I can't pretend that someone who is town is mafia.


Cheating:
Cheating includes (but is not limited to):
2. Ruining the game by doing something like hand out your mafia's member list to the town.

and probably this one applies too
7. Getting yourself modkilled to help your team. Your non-majority-decided death may not be used as a bargaining chip.


Cheating is not tolerated here. The punishment will be severe.


It's not unique and unexpected. It's breaking the rules by forcing the host into a situation of modkilling.

The OP clearly states that handing out your mafia member list is cheating and will be severely punished. If you had actually handed out your list you would be automatically banned. If you hand out a fake list after claiming you are mafia, you are clearly forcing the host into deciding whether to modkill you or not. You didn't actually break any rules since you didn't out a real list and so technically you can't be modkilled but then that "non-modkill" can be seen by town as a "Mod Confirm" that you did nothing wrong aka you are townie.

If every single townie did that then the game becomes about being modkilled. Your tactic involved circumventing the rules and that doesn't fly here.
Haven't you heard? I'm not an ex-progamer. I'm not a poker player. I'm not an admin of the site. I'm mother fucking Rekrul.
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
October 06 2011 23:17 GMT
#307
Rest assured I didn't intend to bring about the situation mentioned; the thought didn't even cross my mind that townies could claim mafia to confirm them being town. My thought patten was along the lines of this:
Rayn just messed up and is dead
I'm going to get lynched
If toad survives the night he'll win the game for mafia (at this stage we didn't know if there was a medic or detective)
UNLESS I go out saying toad is mafia, then he will be under suspicion tomorrow and josh has a good chance of winning.

And I was right.
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
wherebugsgo
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Japan10647 Posts
October 07 2011 00:35 GMT
#308
On October 07 2011 08:17 zany_001 wrote:
Rest assured I didn't intend to bring about the situation mentioned; the thought didn't even cross my mind that townies could claim mafia to confirm them being town. My thought patten was along the lines of this:
Rayn just messed up and is dead
I'm going to get lynched
If toad survives the night he'll win the game for mafia (at this stage we didn't know if there was a medic or detective)
UNLESS I go out saying toad is mafia, then he will be under suspicion tomorrow and josh has a good chance of winning.

And I was right.


No you weren't, Toad was shot the night immediately after you died.

Therefore, it was obvious you were bsing and your claim didn't actually affect the lynch the next day.
kitaman27 *
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9245 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-23 15:56:25
October 23 2011 15:56 GMT
#309
Opps.
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff.
Prev 1 14 15 16 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 163
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 467
Bale 50
League of Legends
Doublelift4514
Other Games
summit1g9131
JimRising 562
ViBE235
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick676
BasetradeTV189
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 104
• Light_VIP 9
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1122
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 41m
Patches Events
13h 41m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 41m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 41m
OSC
21h 41m
OSC
1d 10h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.