• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:57
CEST 15:57
KST 22:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9327 users

[Champion] Xin Zhao - Page 4

Forum Index > LoL Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24 25 Next All
crate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States2474 Posts
August 12 2011 18:55 GMT
#61
E definitely scales better from levels than Q does, since in the best case you're getting less than one extra autoattack's worth of damage from leveling Q instead of E (25 extra damage by going level 5 Q instead of level 5 E while keeping the other skill at level 1 ... even with arpen runes instead of mpen and attacking a champ the difference certainly won't be more than about 50-60 damage). If the extra slow lets either you or your laner land an extra hit you've already done more damage by leveling E, and you get a lower cooldown on it to boot so it's not out of the question that you get a second slow from it either.

It would lead to slower jungling without bluebuff because of the mana cost, but if you have the mana to use it in the jungle you kill stuff pretty much at the same speed.

But I don't play Xin, so this is mainly from looking at numbers.
We did. You did. Yes we can. No. || http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/crate.html || twitch.tv/crate3333
Mogwai
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States13274 Posts
August 12 2011 19:01 GMT
#62
On August 13 2011 03:55 crate wrote:
E definitely scales better from levels than Q does, since in the best case you're getting less than one extra autoattack's worth of damage from leveling Q instead of E (25 extra damage by going level 5 Q instead of level 5 E while keeping the other skill at level 1 ... even with arpen runes instead of mpen and attacking a champ the difference certainly won't be more than about 50-60 damage). If the extra slow lets either you or your laner land an extra hit you've already done more damage by leveling E, and you get a lower cooldown on it to boot so it's not out of the question that you get a second slow from it either.

It would lead to slower jungling without bluebuff because of the mana cost, but if you have the mana to use it in the jungle you kill stuff pretty much at the same speed.

But I don't play Xin, so this is mainly from looking at numbers.

what?

you're like, thinking too hard about the math and just doing it wrong

Each level of Q is +15 damage/hit x 3 hits = +45 damage
Each level of E is +40 damage

Leveling Q is more damage, and it's on a shorter CD until level 5 E (at which point they're equal) so just looking strictly at damage, Q is superior. But there is definitely merit to increasing that slow and decreasing that CD for ganking hard so E makes some sense, but I think my proposed QEWQQREEEER is a better way to go about it to avoid hurting your early jungling speed.
mogwaismusings.wordpress.com
crate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States2474 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-12 19:05:37
August 12 2011 19:02 GMT
#63
Yeah, you get 5 damage extra for each level of Q over E, so at most you're getting basically half an autoattack or so from it. If the extra slow gets you any extra hit that Q doesn't, E is better.

edit: I suppose there's also a window where you've gotten 10 or 11 seconds of cooldowns between actual time ticking and your W where you'd have Q off cooldown again but not E but I'm not sure that happens often enough to be notable, especially since E goes on cooldown immediately but Q won't start ticking until you've used all three hits.
We did. You did. Yes we can. No. || http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/crate.html || twitch.tv/crate3333
Juicyfruit
Profile Joined May 2008
Canada5484 Posts
August 12 2011 19:08 GMT
#64
I max Q when they don't have good escapes, and max E when they do. It's not very complicated for me >.>
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
November 02 2011 16:12 GMT
#65
Just picked up Xin because I had the IP and I died laughing at the Be A Man video like 8 times. I got some comments/questions.

1) E feels like it costs SO MUCH MANA. Didn't realize it for a while.

2) Jungle isn't bad. Really nice sustain, ganks are actually pretty hilarious with charge/slow/burst/knockup.

3) What is my role late game? I feel like I can still burst carries alright, but do I play like an assassin or a tanky dps? Charge in right off the bat, or wait for the action to subside and clean up?

4) When laning, is there any alternative to Wriggle's? The sustain and damage is nice, but I feel like with his passive, I could get away with a DBlade or two and just play aggressively instead.

5) Am I not supposed to have an escape besides Flash? I'm used to Riven/Graves/Ezreal where I can just gtfo with an ability, but with Xin I feel like once I engage, I'm stuck there until one of us dies or they run away.

6) Other items that aren't part of this build? I think he'd work well with Trinity or FMallet, but I'm not sure and don't want to hold back the team while trying it.
It's your boy Guzma!
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
November 02 2011 16:19 GMT
#66
1) Use E very rarely unless you're fighting champions and you're fine.

3) Usually assassin.

4) Afaik you don't need Wriggle's on Xin in lane, at least not against all enemies. But you probably have to adapt.

5) BE A MAN.

6) Both are decent in the right situations and with the right playstyle.

BE A MAN.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
57 Corvette
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada5941 Posts
November 02 2011 16:28 GMT
#67
On November 03 2011 01:12 Requizen wrote:
Just picked up Xin because I had the IP and I died laughing at the Be A Man video like 8 times. I got some comments/questions.

1) E feels like it costs SO MUCH MANA. Didn't realize it for a while.

2) Jungle isn't bad. Really nice sustain, ganks are actually pretty hilarious with charge/slow/burst/knockup.

3) What is my role late game? I feel like I can still burst carries alright, but do I play like an assassin or a tanky dps? Charge in right off the bat, or wait for the action to subside and clean up?

4) When laning, is there any alternative to Wriggle's? The sustain and damage is nice, but I feel like with his passive, I could get away with a DBlade or two and just play aggressively instead.

5) Am I not supposed to have an escape besides Flash? I'm used to Riven/Graves/Ezreal where I can just gtfo with an ability, but with Xin I feel like once I engage, I'm stuck there until one of us dies or they run away.

6) Other items that aren't part of this build? I think he'd work well with Trinity or FMallet, but I'm not sure and don't want to hold back the team while trying it.


1. It does cost a lot of mana. You want to try to avoid using it a ton during the jungle phase/early game.

2. The jungle is average if not slightly above. He is also one of the easier characters to pick up and jungle, because for the most part his jungle is safe (as in not getting low HP)

3. Imo, you should be more of a tanky dps lategame. Riot tried to design him as an assassin, but compared to other assassins (kat,akali), he just doesn't compare burst-wise. Most of the damage will come from the ult and auto attacks, so you want to be in the middle of the fight, and thats not where an assassin should be. If you have a tank initiate, charge in right after him and ult. If not, you can charge in and initate, but don't expect to live 100% of the time.

4. I suppose Dblades could work, it more or less comes down to personal preference. I like the wriggles for the armour, lifesteal and free wards, but if you are up against an easy lane i don't see a huge problem in building dorans blades and then going straight to BC.

5. No, unless you can somehow charge to an enemy minion that is on your path. If he had an escape he would be extremely op.

6. The items i listed aren't the only viable items. Triforce or Frozen mallet/mogs are also viable, depends on personal tastes. Experiment for yourself in normals or co-op if you are unconfident.

Survival is winning, everything else is bullshit.
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
November 02 2011 16:29 GMT
#68
Nice, quick reply, thanks!

He seems really strong in the right hands, able to 1v1 a lot of champs easily and works pretty well in teamfights as well. Why isn't he used a lot in competitive play? His only real counter seems to be Exhaust or a similar ability, he feels like he could be really useful in a lot of comps.
It's your boy Guzma!
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
November 02 2011 16:32 GMT
#69
On November 03 2011 01:29 Requizen wrote:
Nice, quick reply, thanks!

He seems really strong in the right hands, able to 1v1 a lot of champs easily and works pretty well in teamfights as well. Why isn't he used a lot in competitive play? His only real counter seems to be Exhaust or a similar ability, he feels like he could be really useful in a lot of comps.

Comparatively poor control as a jungler (no escapes/ranged CC so counterjungling is extremely dangerous), requires a lot of farm to be useful, while not having a kit suited to farming super fast, so he requires successful ganks that turn into kills to get rolling.
Moderator
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
November 02 2011 16:36 GMT
#70
On November 03 2011 01:32 TheYango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2011 01:29 Requizen wrote:
Nice, quick reply, thanks!

He seems really strong in the right hands, able to 1v1 a lot of champs easily and works pretty well in teamfights as well. Why isn't he used a lot in competitive play? His only real counter seems to be Exhaust or a similar ability, he feels like he could be really useful in a lot of comps.

Comparatively poor control as a jungler (no escapes/ranged CC so counterjungling is extremely dangerous), requires a lot of farm to be useful, while not having a kit suited to farming super fast, so he requires successful ganks that turn into kills to get rolling.

The odd thing is, he reminds me a lot of Akali, who is played a lot at high levels, but suffers from requiring farm and no real escape (bubble is really iffy at times). I suppose she has higher burst, but she doesn't have the CC knockup or attack speed boost.

Whatever, I think he's pretty fun, so I'll keep playing him for a while.

Who's a good duo queue partner for Xin? Probably a bursty mage type, I'd think, so I guess I'll get a friend to play Annie or something.
It's your boy Guzma!
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-02 16:38:00
November 02 2011 16:37 GMT
#71
On November 03 2011 01:29 Requizen wrote:
Nice, quick reply, thanks!

He seems really strong in the right hands, able to 1v1 a lot of champs easily and works pretty well in teamfights as well. Why isn't he used a lot in competitive play? His only real counter seems to be Exhaust or a similar ability, he feels like he could be really useful in a lot of comps.

Partly because he is countered extremely hard by Exhaust + focus fire.
Partly because tournament level teamfights usually involve lots of poking and disengaging. Xin engages and does not retreat. It's a hard call to make: Will we win the fight? There is no out for Xin if you make a bad call.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
57 Corvette
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada5941 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-02 17:14:20
November 02 2011 17:10 GMT
#72
On November 03 2011 01:37 spinesheath wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2011 01:29 Requizen wrote:
Nice, quick reply, thanks!

He seems really strong in the right hands, able to 1v1 a lot of champs easily and works pretty well in teamfights as well. Why isn't he used a lot in competitive play? His only real counter seems to be Exhaust or a similar ability, he feels like he could be really useful in a lot of comps.

Partly because he is countered extremely hard by Exhaust + focus fire.
Partly because tournament level teamfights usually involve lots of poking and disengaging. Xin engages and does not retreat. It's a hard call to make: Will we win the fight? There is no out for Xin if you make a bad call.

A Demacian never retreats!

Also, about the comparison to Akali, there are a few main things that set them apart.
The most obvious is Akali uses energy, so doesn't go oom.
Akali is more snowball-y because imo it is easier to snowball with AP than it is with AD.
Akali has ranged harrass, Xin doesn't.
Survival is winning, everything else is bullshit.
koreasilver
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
9109 Posts
November 02 2011 17:33 GMT
#73
Akali in general just seems to be trickier to deal with than Xin Zhao. The biggest problem I have with Xin is that he is probably the most one-dimensional champ in the whole game. Consequently, dealing with him also is a very one-dimensional affair.
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
November 03 2011 16:57 GMT
#74
So I had some success forgoing the standard build and building straight AD carry, Wriggle's - BC - Zeal - BT - PD. I could 1v1 a lot of non-tanks just with lifesteal and passive plus high damage. It was interesting, but I was squishy as hell later on obviously.
It's your boy Guzma!
koreasilver
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
9109 Posts
November 03 2011 17:03 GMT
#75
I really have to doubt how good building him like that is considering how he has a really high dps capability even without much damage items. Building wriggles and sotd/wits end gives him enough dps until lategame atmogs. I don't really feel like he needs so much damage items.
Slayer91
Profile Joined February 2006
Ireland23442 Posts
November 03 2011 17:18 GMT
#76
On November 03 2011 01:37 spinesheath wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2011 01:29 Requizen wrote:
Nice, quick reply, thanks!

He seems really strong in the right hands, able to 1v1 a lot of champs easily and works pretty well in teamfights as well. Why isn't he used a lot in competitive play? His only real counter seems to be Exhaust or a similar ability, he feels like he could be really useful in a lot of comps.

Partly because he is countered extremely hard by Exhaust + focus fire.
Partly because tournament level teamfights usually involve lots of poking and disengaging. Xin engages and does not retreat. It's a hard call to make: Will we win the fight? There is no out for Xin if you make a bad call.


This is relevant. When I was duoing with a low elo guy back in season 1 I had to carry really, really hard on xin and I had to kept jumping in and running away again and I realized irelia is far, far better suited for that, Nocturne basically does his job better and has more burst damage due to more front loaded damage on his skills.
rwrzr
Profile Joined February 2010
United States1980 Posts
November 03 2011 17:35 GMT
#77
On November 03 2011 02:33 koreasilver wrote:
Akali in general just seems to be trickier to deal with than Xin Zhao. The biggest problem I have with Xin is that he is probably the most one-dimensional champ in the whole game. Consequently, dealing with him also is a very one-dimensional affair.


Best description of Xin Zhao. Either he closes the gap and kills your OR he doesn't and you kill him.

I'd like to see some kind of change to bring him back from lolnoobxin to WINZHAO!

Ideas:
Have charge be a soft cleanse with some slow reduction/immunity?
Give his R some disable component (Silence or Slow)?
Give him a new passive and give the heal passive as an addition to another one of his skills.
FADC
Juicyfruit
Profile Joined May 2008
Canada5484 Posts
November 03 2011 17:50 GMT
#78
Well he's essentially a 100% brute force champion, what do you want from him? l0l. I think he's fun. They've nerfed his baseline abilities so much though so I'd like to see some kind of buff to his late-game scaling to compensate.
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
November 03 2011 17:53 GMT
#79
Yeah, I think it's mostly his design that's holding him back. He's all damage and only damage (and minor/major CC), so if you make him too strong, he just kills everything (lol release Xin), but if not, he has nothing else to bring to the team other than minor knock ups.

The only real way I could see them buffing his late game is by changing his scaling. Make E scale with AD, and/or make R's health % damage scale with AD similar to Children of the Grave.
It's your boy Guzma!
Slayer91
Profile Joined February 2006
Ireland23442 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-03 18:46:57
November 03 2011 18:45 GMT
#80
He's all damage and only damage because riot keeps nerfing his already laughable cc.

He's not so one-dimensional as you think but he definitely has that side to him. The cooldown reduction from W on your E lets you do cool things but yeah he is built a bit bland.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24 25 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
Classic vs herO
IntoTheiNu 828
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech137
CosmosSc2 40
Railgan 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 52729
Shuttle 7698
FanTaSy 1780
BeSt 563
Horang2 500
EffOrt 232
Soma 150
Last 127
Sexy 116
Pusan 115
[ Show more ]
Zeus 106
Mind 92
ggaemo 85
Hyun 77
hero 73
Aegong 54
Killer 53
Snow 42
ToSsGirL 35
Bale 29
PianO 28
NaDa 19
JYJ 17
zelot 14
Rock 13
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
Sacsri 8
Icarus 5
Dota 2
Gorgc3360
qojqva2003
Dendi1231
XcaliburYe270
420jenkins132
Counter-Strike
fl0m3702
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor817
Liquid`Hasu657
Other Games
B2W.Neo860
Beastyqt546
byalli404
Mlord393
Livibee213
Hui .175
ArmadaUGS115
Mew2King63
QueenE53
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick725
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream55
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 21
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3574
Other Games
• WagamamaTV68
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
1h 3m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 3m
Replay Cast
9h 3m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 3m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
21h 3m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 20h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 21h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.