• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:28
CEST 16:28
KST 23:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8601 users

Teaching opportunity in Korea (Well Paid Even) - Page 3

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27179 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-17 02:48:03
July 17 2009 02:38 GMT
#41
Think about the kind of capital they need to have up front if they are going to run training sessions in three major US cities, and promise that kind of money to teachers for that many courses. In addition they need to build their website, and they are giving themselves 4 months from website to the beginning of the session to get enough students.

On July 17 2009 11:37 psion0011 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2009 11:30 Manifesto7 wrote:
Our program is quite new; we have not yet recruited students. I wouldnt quit your day job for it.

I thought the number of students seeking tutors in Japan and Korea waaaaaaaaaaaaaay outnumber the tutors.

So this point isn't even worth thinking about.


This isn't true. And anyway, think about what this particular school is offering, and the type of students the are looking for before you say my point is worthless.

To be this confident either the market for high-end training in Seoul is booming, or they have a lot of contacts to pull in 200 students in 4 months. The program they describe looks like an extremely expensive one from the student's point of view. There are not that many students in my experience who are ready to jump to a top-tier American university with a 2 month prep course.
ModeratorGodfather
clazziquai
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
6685 Posts
July 17 2009 02:39 GMT
#42
I want to try this!
#1 Sea.Really Fan / #1 Nesh Fan / Terran Forever~
Elric
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom1327 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-17 02:54:43
July 17 2009 02:44 GMT
#43
On July 17 2009 11:37 psion0011 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2009 11:30 Manifesto7 wrote:
Our program is quite new; we have not yet recruited students. I wouldnt quit your day job for it.

I thought the number of students seeking tutors in Japan and Korea waaaaaaaaaaaaaay outnumber the tutors.

So this point isn't even worth thinking about.


Yes, but there are 2350925092 English academies/hagwons which cater for the students. Everyone is jumping on the ESL bandwagon these days so Mani's concern that the hagwon might not get enough students is very very on point. There are many teachers who have been screwed because their hagwons collapsed (due to insufficient student enrollment) and their bosses couldn't pay them.

This hagwon is also targeting the elite of the rich students in Seoul. I don't know what the market for that is like... it seems the students(' mums) are going to have to pay a fortune for this course.
jjun212
Profile Joined December 2004
Canada2208 Posts
July 17 2009 02:44 GMT
#44
Any letter sounds good or advertisement... w/e but I wouldn't trust anything until I have solid feedback from someone I know.

I've heard too many stories about non-governmental companies screwing over teachers overseas.

I'm not saying that this is a scam but I don't think one should be so naive to jump into this without more research since all you really have is a letter. More like an e-mail.

And Korean reasoning really does bother me when it comes to education because for example, every Korean person I've ever met has never heard of schools like the University of Chicago =\

When that university has like the biggest impact on Business Economics then almost every other university in the world and that's not Ivy League but that wouldn't matter to this guys like this I presume. Another school off the top of my head that I've never heard Koreans talk about is HEC Paris, an elite business school that consistently outranks Ivy League schools.

I'm not saying that no Korean has ever heard of those schools but it bothers me even when when Westerners have that certain mindset that only Ivy League Schools and Stanford and MIT are the only elite schools in the world or something.
NeverGG *
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom5399 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-17 03:02:05
July 17 2009 03:01 GMT
#45
You have to be very, very, very careful about who you choose to work for here. Just check Dave's ESL Cafe (the biggest ESL forum online.) for stories of scams/bad employers/dodgy recruiters etc. As someone who has worked here for two years (as a private school English teacher.) now my best advice to anyone who gets an offer/finds an email like this is to research the hell out of it before even thinking about signing anything. Also to be very clued up on visa law for Korea (E-2 is the appropriate English language teaching visa for foreigners.) and also know where your embassy is/how to contact immigration.

I'm not trying to scare anyone off, but I speak from experience when I say that jumping into teaching here in South korea without being very careful can be a very big mistake.
우리 행운의 모양은 여러개지만 행복의 모양은 하나
psion0011
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada720 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-17 03:23:39
July 17 2009 03:23 GMT
#46
On July 17 2009 11:44 Elric wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2009 11:37 psion0011 wrote:
On July 17 2009 11:30 Manifesto7 wrote:
Our program is quite new; we have not yet recruited students. I wouldnt quit your day job for it.

I thought the number of students seeking tutors in Japan and Korea waaaaaaaaaaaaaay outnumber the tutors.

So this point isn't even worth thinking about.


Yes, but there are 2350925092 English academies/hagwons which cater for the students. Everyone is jumping on the ESL bandwagon these days so Mani's concern that the hagwon might not get enough students is very very on point. There are many teachers who have been screwed because their hagwons collapsed (due to insufficient student enrollment) and their bosses couldn't pay them.

This hagwon is also targeting the elite of the rich students in Seoul. I don't know what the market for that is like... it seems the students(' mums) are going to have to pay a fortune for this course.

I guess my information is a bit outdated. I just remember a time when it was basically a modern gold rush, so it'd make sense that it's now oversaturated with teachers.
cgrinker
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3824 Posts
July 17 2009 03:23 GMT
#47
You might want to fix that email so you don't get horse porn.
rei
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States3594 Posts
July 17 2009 03:55 GMT
#48
hm... horse porn what is it?
GET OUT OF MY BASE CHILL
lilsusie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
3861 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-17 04:09:16
July 17 2009 04:07 GMT
#49
So i look up 병진 (Byungjin) the school's name and find out that a lot of kids use that in replacement of 병신 ... which means idiots. LOL.

See if you can get a contact number. I'll give them a call if you want. I don't know why, but something doesn't sit well with me on this ad. Maybe they are legit, but... just something... For that short a time, sounds like an English camp of sorts, but even then, I can't see how they can pay that much.

Hm.

Also, I work at the Princeton Review in Korea which is considered one of the more prestigious US university hakwons (and then I work in the consulting dept of it) and even then - they do not pay that much.

Yeah, get me a contact number.
Follow me on Twitter for pictures of cute gamers and food! https://twitter.com/lilsusie
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-17 04:29:44
July 17 2009 04:27 GMT
#50
When something sounds too good to be true, tread with care..
- of note too, the OP has ten posts on tl.net, two of them in this thread, he posts an e-mail offer, that even he is not sure about: "I would hope it's not a scam."
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
Aphelion
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States2720 Posts
July 17 2009 04:39 GMT
#51
On July 17 2009 13:07 lilsusie wrote:
So i look up 병진 (Byungjin) the school's name and find out that a lot of kids use that in replacement of 병신 ... which means idiots. LOL.

See if you can get a contact number. I'll give them a call if you want. I don't know why, but something doesn't sit well with me on this ad. Maybe they are legit, but... just something... For that short a time, sounds like an English camp of sorts, but even then, I can't see how they can pay that much.

Hm.

Also, I work at the Princeton Review in Korea which is considered one of the more prestigious US university hakwons (and then I work in the consulting dept of it) and even then - they do not pay that much.

Yeah, get me a contact number.


Really? I thought those hakwons must be making money hand over fist, because even as a high schooler I was making 35,000 won / hr tutoring kids for SAT.
But Garimto was always more than just a Protoss...
lilsusie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
3861 Posts
July 17 2009 05:14 GMT
#52
Working as a private tutor is different from working in an actual hakwon. if you were hired as a HS student at a hakwon paid that much, the place is not very legit, as it is, by law, you need a college degree to teach English here.
Follow me on Twitter for pictures of cute gamers and food! https://twitter.com/lilsusie
NeverGG *
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom5399 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-17 05:29:35
July 17 2009 05:28 GMT
#53
On July 17 2009 13:39 Aphelion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2009 13:07 lilsusie wrote:
So i look up 병진 (Byungjin) the school's name and find out that a lot of kids use that in replacement of 병신 ... which means idiots. LOL.

See if you can get a contact number. I'll give them a call if you want. I don't know why, but something doesn't sit well with me on this ad. Maybe they are legit, but... just something... For that short a time, sounds like an English camp of sorts, but even then, I can't see how they can pay that much.

Hm.

Also, I work at the Princeton Review in Korea which is considered one of the more prestigious US university hakwons (and then I work in the consulting dept of it) and even then - they do not pay that much.

Yeah, get me a contact number.


Really? I thought those hakwons must be making money hand over fist, because even as a high schooler I was making 35,000 won / hr tutoring kids for SAT.


I'm making just above minimum wage for England (my job is a hagwon/playschool kindergarten teacher.) so we're really not raking it in with the current exchange rate. However, because lunch and dinner are free for me and transporation is cheap as well as paying a very low rent $380 per month with television/internet/laundry and food included. I'm saving a lot (or I would be if I didn't spend all my wages on sandwiches and camera stuff.)

You can make a lot more if you teach illegally, but I'd never do that.
우리 행운의 모양은 여러개지만 행복의 모양은 하나
ghermination
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States2851 Posts
July 17 2009 05:29 GMT
#54
I say go for it, especially if the pay is good and it isn't too long, doesn't really look like you have to make any big life changes, so go get your amazing amounts of money for 6 weeks of work.
U Gotta Skate.
rei
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States3594 Posts
July 17 2009 05:43 GMT
#55
I was never serious about this when i send in my resume, i was just wondering if this is legit, cause this is just too good. It basically allows me to pay off half my loan from graduate school in just 6 weeks. (Obama paid the other half ) But yeah not worth giving up my day job for. I will ask for a phone number thou. What should i tell him to ask a phone number? just straight up saying i'm ganna investigate the legitimacy of your company? He already said he will call me for an phone interview after i email him the list of information. so i can't say let me call to find out more information about you guys.
GET OUT OF MY BASE CHILL
lilsusie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
3861 Posts
July 17 2009 05:48 GMT
#56
"Could you send me a contact phone number? Where in Korea are you located? I understand that there are many different hakwons in Korea and I would like to do some research about your institution."
Follow me on Twitter for pictures of cute gamers and food! https://twitter.com/lilsusie
evanthebouncy!
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States12816 Posts
July 17 2009 05:51 GMT
#57
care they might abduct you haha :D
Life is run, it is dance, it is fast, passionate and BAM!, you dance and sing and booze while you can for now is the time and time is mine. Smile and laugh when still can for now is the time and soon you die!
evanthebouncy!
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States12816 Posts
July 17 2009 05:53 GMT
#58
"There are not that many students in my experience who are ready to jump to a top-tier American university with a 2 month prep course."

I'd kind of agree with this... in China we have this school called "New Oriental", which is the premere export school (i.e. u go in, u get exported to U.S. for college) and people barely make it to top U.S. schools. Maybe 4,5 people each year out of the many
Life is run, it is dance, it is fast, passionate and BAM!, you dance and sing and booze while you can for now is the time and time is mine. Smile and laugh when still can for now is the time and soon you die!
epicdoom
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States489 Posts
July 17 2009 06:02 GMT
#59
On July 17 2009 00:42 boezou wrote:
We prefer students at top U.S. universities, such as the
Ivy League, Stanford, MIT, Caltech, etc.




I lol'd at this. Bit too much though.
rei
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States3594 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-17 06:19:26
July 17 2009 06:18 GMT
#60
in his reply i quoted, he said that the school is located in East Seoul, teachers will be staying at some local university dorm.

I requested for a phone number, and I tell him i would like to do more research about the institute. by the way, on the reply i quoted He also said something about he had a lot of experience on this kind of work, maybe ask him about his past experience and if he can offer any reference on places he worked. Not sure what else I would ask if i call, susie can figure something out
GET OUT OF MY BASE CHILL
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Railgan 93
Codebar 64
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 63425
Bisu 3327
FanTaSy 1156
Stork 826
Rush 667
hero 241
Snow 215
firebathero 210
Last 124
Mind 112
[ Show more ]
Free 91
Sharp 74
Sea.KH 68
Sexy 59
Pusan 56
ToSsGirL 40
Trap 35
Bale 30
Mong 24
Terrorterran 21
Rock 20
Hm[arnc] 20
zelot 18
Aegong 17
HiyA 16
yabsab 15
Noble 13
Sacsri 11
IntoTheRainbow 10
Shine 10
scan(afreeca) 10
Dota 2
Gorgc8827
Dendi917
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King89
Other Games
singsing2376
fl0m2337
Liquid`RaSZi1285
B2W.Neo685
Beastyqt631
Mlord394
Happy323
Khaldor311
KnowMe263
Hui .201
olofmeister183
crisheroes163
Chillindude70
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV260
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• HeavenSC 26
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FT.aCt)Sony3
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV540
League of Legends
• Nemesis3567
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1322
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
32m
BSL Open Qualifier
4h 32m
BSL Open Qualifier
4h 32m
OSC
8h 32m
Replay Cast
8h 32m
OSC
21h 32m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 20h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.