• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:49
CEST 22:49
KST 05:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12596 users

[P] What Is Nerdier? - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
CaucasianAsian
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Korea (South)11602 Posts
December 20 2008 01:39 GMT
#21
fantasy is dungeons and dragons = nerdier
sci fi = starwars = nerdy but cool / accepted
Calendar@ Fish Server: `iOps]..Stark
Orlandu
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
China2450 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-20 01:50:13
December 20 2008 01:47 GMT
#22
I don't think it's something that you can just generalize. Each situation needs to be judged separately, because there are some huge differences between a lot of the things that are being lumped together under the same category.

Basically what I mean is, some parts of Fantasy are definitely nerdier than parts of Sci-Fi and vice versa. It's very difficult to say which is nerdier overall though simply because of what all there is to consider, personal bias being one. Like others have said though, this being the holy worshipping grounds of StarCraft outside of Korea, this question is pretty much answered already.
We cant give up just because things arent the way we want them to be.
shavingcream66
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States1219 Posts
December 20 2008 01:50 GMT
#23
both
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
December 20 2008 01:54 GMT
#24
I love both, but I like sci-fi better. Tolkien is good, but I prefer Haldemann!
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
parkin
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
1091 Posts
December 20 2008 02:05 GMT
#25
On December 20 2008 09:27 Nitrogen23 wrote:
well, this is a starcraft site, which is more of a futuristic sci-fi game. so... im going to say fantasy will be the worst.

mostly harmless
JaZz
Profile Joined December 2008
United States23 Posts
December 20 2008 02:14 GMT
#26
Braveheart is non-fiction ffs lol
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-20 02:23:04
December 20 2008 02:22 GMT
#27
PS - This just made me realize how few Sci-Fi RPGs their are.


Are you serious? There aren't many but there's quite a lot of them:

KotOR 1 & 2
Mass Effect
Systemshock
Bioshock (not really sure if it's more fps or more rpg)
FALLOUT series?!?!?!?!?!

And others like it:
Dead Space (can't really call it a shooter)
Metal Heart
etc. etc.

On December 20 2008 11:14 JaZz wrote:
Braveheart is non-fiction ffs lol


It's not very true to the facts too
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Dromar
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States2145 Posts
December 20 2008 02:51 GMT
#28
Sci-fi has Star Wars/ Star Trek, but Fantasy has WoW. Fantasy wins.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-20 03:42:50
December 20 2008 03:34 GMT
#29
On December 20 2008 11:14 JaZz wrote:
Braveheart is non-fiction ffs lol

Well, its based on a true story. I just couldn't think of any medieval type movies off the top of my head except braveheart.




Are you serious? There aren't many but there's quite a lot of them:

KotOR 1 & 2
Mass Effect
Systemshock
Bioshock (not really sure if it's more fps or more rpg)
FALLOUT series?!?!?!?!?!

And others like it:
Dead Space (can't really call it a shooter)
Metal Heart
etc. etc.



Dead Space sucks, Bioshock sucks, And these are both TPS/FPS and Boishock is not really sci-fi. Its old 50s style with mutants and shit, that's more fantasy than anything.

Fallout 1 & 2 suck, the game system was just too terrible. I gave up after like 15 minutes.

Never heard of the other ones.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
Cpt.Cocaine
Profile Joined June 2008
Canada299 Posts
December 20 2008 03:46 GMT
#30
Sci-fi has always seemed more innovative, more original and more interesting to me. Partly because every fantasy universe seems to be a carbon copy of the other; elves, goblins, magic. Not many have the guts to try anything completely original, and that's a shame because there's so much potential territory not being explored by writers. I'm sick of it to a point where I might dislike something on the only basis of including some of those very cliche elements. Warcraft, for example, had a great universe up until beyond the dark portal. It had alot of classic fantasy elements, but it differed in it's presentation; It was about HUMANS versus ORCS. No shitty pretentious subplots that sound like they were writted by 12 year olds, no big epic storytelling, just WAR - two factions ripping the crap out of eachother and you didn't know or care why. Then warcraft 3 and WoW came along and the story became all about immature crap.

Lately I've been feeling the same about a lot of sci-fi. For a genre that's supposed to be about imagination, it seems incredibly unimaginative. It's always about humanoid aliens who aren't really aliens at all because they have far more in common with humans than any of the millions of earth-dwelling species that live on earth do and their mighty plan to invade the earth and enslave the human race. In fact, for all the thousands if not millions of sci-fi plots created within the last century, I can't think of a single one that has credible aliens - that is, aliens that aren't very earth-like. Think of the vast diversity of life we have on earth; from us, to bacteria, plants, protists, fungi... and the best they can come up with are dudes with ridges on their foreheads who speak a fluent american english and adhere to western idustrialised ideals.

You want originality? Look at the universe from the Thief games. Now that is a pretty damn awesome universe.
AzureEye
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States1360 Posts
December 20 2008 03:47 GMT
#31
Sci Fi nerdier by farrrrrrrrr
Terrans who whine: http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=107788
GGQ
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Canada2653 Posts
December 20 2008 03:49 GMT
#32
scifi is much nerdier. also it seems like the OP has not read much good fantasy, or doesn't understand what it is about
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
December 20 2008 03:50 GMT
#33
Fantasy is nerdier imo, and I like sci-fi better, but I like both of them I guess.
Leath
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Canada1724 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-20 04:12:05
December 20 2008 04:10 GMT
#34
I think Sci-Fi, Future is more nerdy.

I recall the crowd in the cinema when I went to watch Chronicles of Riddick
And I picture the big fans of Star Trek, Star Wars, Flash Gordon, etc as a bunch of nerds.
I guess part of it is because some of those individuals have a strong interest in future technology which is highly associated with computers and robotics. People with those interest are stereotyped to me to be nerdies.

Whereas, people who like medieval, fantasy, and magic are probably lovers of the arts. I picture them enjoying a good book, appreciating art works, and daydreaming. They may be weird, and some are nerdy, but I think most aren't.

in sum,
Sci-Fi = Likes computers, robots, technology = Nerd
Fantasy = Likes to daydream, art, read = Artist
http://www.kongregate.com/?referrer=Sagess
Moletrap
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States1297 Posts
December 20 2008 04:11 GMT
#35
I am nerdier.
aka Moletrap
Eldariel
Profile Joined February 2008
Finland42 Posts
December 20 2008 04:13 GMT
#36
I don't understand the question. What does "nerdier" mean?
Bub
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States3518 Posts
December 20 2008 04:15 GMT
#37
Fantasy hands down
XK ßubonic
Faronel
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States658 Posts
December 20 2008 05:48 GMT
#38
Isaac Asimov said something about how Sci-Fi is the future of mankind, the dream/vision that we all work for.
I say that's true, and that fantasy is just for little bitches who don't like the world.
C'est la vie...
IzzyCraft
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4487 Posts
December 20 2008 05:50 GMT
#39
On December 20 2008 13:10 Leath wrote:
I think Sci-Fi, Future is more nerdy.

I recall the crowd in the cinema when I went to watch Chronicles of Riddick
And I picture the big fans of Star Trek, Star Wars, Flash Gordon, etc as a bunch of nerds.
I guess part of it is because some of those individuals have a strong interest in future technology which is highly associated with computers and robotics. People with those interest are stereotyped to me to be nerdies.

Whereas, people who like medieval, fantasy, and magic are probably lovers of the arts. I picture them enjoying a good book, appreciating art works, and daydreaming. They may be weird, and some are nerdy, but I think most aren't.

in sum,
Sci-Fi = Likes computers, robots, technology = Nerd
Fantasy = Likes to daydream, art, read = Girl traped in a Boys body.

fixed
I have ass for brains so,
even when I shit I'm droping knowledge.
Frits
Profile Joined March 2003
11782 Posts
December 20 2008 05:53 GMT
#40
Personally I can't stand fantasy and really love some sci fi stuff.

What's nerdier depends on the person you associate it with really.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O141
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 16
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19096
Calm 2125
Shuttle 324
White-Ra 189
Mini 168
ZZZero.O 132
firebathero 73
soO 11
Sacsri 6
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1520
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5038
Liquid`Hasu646
Other Games
summit1g6790
Liquid`RaSZi2219
FrodaN2072
fl0m1322
crisheroes308
IndyStarCraft 247
Pyrionflax221
Livibee184
Mew2King56
ToD10
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick928
BasetradeTV194
StarCraft 2
angryscii 20
EmSc Tv 16
EmSc2Tv 16
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 30
• musti20045 1
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki43
• blackmanpl 28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1383
• Shiphtur690
• WagamamaTV372
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 11m
Replay Cast
2h 11m
OSC
15h 11m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 14h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.