• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:10
CEST 02:10
KST 09:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8469 users

The High School Homecoming Queen is... - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
paper
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
13197 Posts
October 19 2008 06:53 GMT
#21
On October 19 2008 15:13 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2008 14:29 ilovezil wrote:
On October 19 2008 14:24 iheartgna wrote:
On October 19 2008 14:11 Empyrean wrote:
On October 19 2008 14:02 iheartgna wrote:
That is so pathetic.

Edit: I decided to explain. Chastising someone with disabilities just magnifies their ailment. Shit, I've never seen an unhappy kid with down syndrome, they could have just bought her a lollipop.


I think what the article was getting at was that there are people who can look past outside disabilities and see through to the person on the inside. That the senior class can see past someone's Down Syndrome is something to be commended.


Do you think any of them consider her their friend? Though, that may say nothing about the class because I imagine she is incapable of having real "friends." Homecoming Queen is supposed to be the face of your school. If you looked at a catalog of schools with only their name and a picture of their Homecoming Queen would you want that girl next to your school?


The way I see it, there's already enough places out there advertising for their own personal gains. What's so interesting about this article's school is that it's not all about the pretty faces or outward appearance. I think it's great that there's a place out there that exists like this school.


It doesn't. They probably voted for her because "oh my goodness! Let's make her feel good because she has down syndrome!" It's not, "Wow, she's a really amazing person, and the way she looks shouldn't be the deciding factor of who gets to be homecoming queen." It was a pity vote. I can imagine kids in high school all going around and telling each other to vote for her to make her feel good/important/special.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that she was voted homecoming queen or anything, it was nice of the students to do so. But to think that they actually looked beyond superficiality is ridiculous. I think it's just a matter of a student body wanting to make themselves feel better about themselves for not being so superficial, which makes them superficial.


my thoughts exactly.
Hates Fun🤔
conCentrate9
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States438 Posts
October 19 2008 07:06 GMT
#22
On October 19 2008 15:13 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2008 14:29 ilovezil wrote:
On October 19 2008 14:24 iheartgna wrote:
On October 19 2008 14:11 Empyrean wrote:
On October 19 2008 14:02 iheartgna wrote:
That is so pathetic.

Edit: I decided to explain. Chastising someone with disabilities just magnifies their ailment. Shit, I've never seen an unhappy kid with down syndrome, they could have just bought her a lollipop.


I think what the article was getting at was that there are people who can look past outside disabilities and see through to the person on the inside. That the senior class can see past someone's Down Syndrome is something to be commended.


Do you think any of them consider her their friend? Though, that may say nothing about the class because I imagine she is incapable of having real "friends." Homecoming Queen is supposed to be the face of your school. If you looked at a catalog of schools with only their name and a picture of their Homecoming Queen would you want that girl next to your school?


The way I see it, there's already enough places out there advertising for their own personal gains. What's so interesting about this article's school is that it's not all about the pretty faces or outward appearance. I think it's great that there's a place out there that exists like this school.


It doesn't. They probably voted for her because "oh my goodness! Let's make her feel good because she has down syndrome!" It's not, "Wow, she's a really amazing person, and the way she looks shouldn't be the deciding factor of who gets to be homecoming queen." It was a pity vote. I can imagine kids in high school all going around and telling each other to vote for her to make her feel good/important/special.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that she was voted homecoming queen or anything, it was nice of the students to do so. But to think that they actually looked beyond superficiality is ridiculous. I think it's just a matter of a student body wanting to make themselves feel better about themselves for not being so superficial, which makes them superficial. If you follow what I'm saying. I have no proof to back this up at all, I'm just basing it on personal experience (not just what happened to me, but what I saw happen other places/still see in other places).


This is more than likely true, but if it's not the story still stands as being amazing.
D10
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Brazil3409 Posts
October 19 2008 07:07 GMT
#23
I think the point is, whatever the fucking reason they had to vote for her, its still amazing she won, and that people turned the "fuck it, vote for her" button in theyr minds when the time came.

When you think about it, they could have just voted for her for the sake of not giving a flying shit.
" We are not humans having spiritual experiences. - We are spirits having human experiences." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Sky
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Jordan812 Posts
October 19 2008 07:23 GMT
#24
On October 19 2008 16:07 D10 wrote:
I think the point is, whatever the fucking reason they had to vote for her, its still amazing she won...


I don't understand why this is amazing.

On a whim, the majority of students probably didn't care about who the queen would be. In our high school, when we didn't care about something that we had to participate in, we just went along with the general consensus. So a few girls in the grade decide that it would be "neat" to have this girl win the contest, and eventually the idea just spreads throughout the apathetic majority.

I'm not saying I disagree with the outcome, but to call it "amazing" or "great" is pointless. Especially in my mind, when I haven't met a person that's deliberately rude to someone with down syndrome.
...jumping into cold water whenever I get the chance.
yubee
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
United States3826 Posts
October 19 2008 07:24 GMT
#25
i totally agree with sweetlemons[tl;dr]

although, i'm curious, there's a girl at my work who has down's syndrome who is really awesome, but if someone acted like her and didn't have downs syndrome i would probably think she's pretty annoying. i wonder, it's not superficial to cut someone more slack on their social tendencies if they have down's syndrome, is it? even if it goes aww when lisa does that it's cute, but when caitie talks i just want to backhand that annoying dumbass bitch GOD STFU CAITIE I DON'T CARE

like when she talks about johnny depp all the time and calls him "john", that makes me laugh because it's qt but if caitie said that would i tune her out until she stopped talking, hopefully forever?
sqwert
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States781 Posts
October 19 2008 08:03 GMT
#26
TL rigged the votes.
if everythings coming your way, youre in the wrong lane. sAviOr 4evar!
Wysp
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Canada2299 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-10-19 15:52:20
October 19 2008 15:48 GMT
#27
On October 19 2008 14:02 iheartgna wrote:
That is so pathetic.

Edit: I decided to explain. Chastising someone with disabilities just magnifies their ailment. Shit, I've never seen an unhappy kid with down syndrome, they could have just bought her a lollipop.


Clearly she is more than a 'kid with down syndrome.' They love her, they think she deserves to be homecoming queen. The social scientists of teamliquid have posited many theories but in the end, what the fuck is wrong with kindness and love? I wish I could smile to every person I talk to in a day, and I try to. Stop forsaking joy; embrace kindness and please everyone smile.

btw you're a cunt.


an overdeveloped sense of self preservation
{ToT}Strafe
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Thailand7026 Posts
October 19 2008 15:52 GMT
#28
I also think it's pathetic to pick her. It's basically out of sympathy. But you surpass the whole goal. I mean sympathy is great and all, but homecoming queen is supposed to be for popular and pretty girls. (Yes that's how it effectively works out) So when you start picking a 'retarded' person for homecoming queen you are basically saying aawh look it's so sad for her let's pick her to something she isn't supposed to be! I mean I would feel retarded if I were her.
Wysp
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Canada2299 Posts
October 19 2008 15:57 GMT
#29
On October 20 2008 00:52 {ToT}Strafe wrote:
I also think it's pathetic to pick her. It's basically out of sympathy. But you surpass the whole goal. I mean sympathy is great and all, but homecoming queen is supposed to be for popular and pretty girls. (Yes that's how it effectively works out) So when you start picking a 'retarded' person for homecoming queen you are basically saying aawh look it's so sad for her let's pick her to something she isn't supposed to be! I mean I would feel retarded if I were her.


Who by their own virtue is born 'retarded' or 'beautiful?' Infact, who asks to be born at all. What assessment of anyone is not arbitrary? In the end all the matters is the contrast between pain and satisfaction in our lifes. Joy and kindness can satisfy near any soul (just try them out) and I think there can be no pain or anguish in voting a person you all love homecoming queen or just smiling as you say goodbye to a stranger.
an overdeveloped sense of self preservation
grobo
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Japan6199 Posts
October 19 2008 16:18 GMT
#30
I'm not really familiar with the homecoming queens, prom king/queens and all of that, but is this stuff really big? i mean is this something you remember for years or is it just a "funny thing" people talk about for 1-2days?
We make signature, then defense it.
Wysp
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Canada2299 Posts
October 19 2008 16:20 GMT
#31
On October 20 2008 01:18 grobo wrote:
I'm not really familiar with the homecoming queens, prom king/queens and all of that, but is this stuff really big? i mean is this something you remember for years or is it just a "funny thing" people talk about for 1-2days?


it all depends on the school/town. I'd imagine in 97.22% White (rich) town in Texas it is a fairly large deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aledo,_Texas
an overdeveloped sense of self preservation
{ToT}Strafe
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Thailand7026 Posts
October 19 2008 16:27 GMT
#32
Sympathy votes to winning something what you are totally not is retarded. No matter how sentimental you make it. Well yeah good for her.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-10-19 16:41:18
October 19 2008 16:40 GMT
#33
On October 20 2008 01:20 Wysp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 20 2008 01:18 grobo wrote:
I'm not really familiar with the homecoming queens, prom king/queens and all of that, but is this stuff really big? i mean is this something you remember for years or is it just a "funny thing" people talk about for 1-2days?


it all depends on the school/town. I'd imagine in 97.22% White (rich) town in Texas it is a fairly large deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aledo,_Texas


basically simliar to my town, replace texas with michigan. nobody really cares after it happens...you just vote during lunch and then at the homecoming game they announce you. i guess if you're on it its pretty cool otherwise you dont really care. Nobody really talks about it other than "who was queen/king again?" "oh cool" and thats it.

On October 19 2008 15:13 SweeTLemonS[TPR] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2008 14:29 ilovezil wrote:
On October 19 2008 14:24 iheartgna wrote:
On October 19 2008 14:11 Empyrean wrote:
On October 19 2008 14:02 iheartgna wrote:
That is so pathetic.

Edit: I decided to explain. Chastising someone with disabilities just magnifies their ailment. Shit, I've never seen an unhappy kid with down syndrome, they could have just bought her a lollipop.


I think what the article was getting at was that there are people who can look past outside disabilities and see through to the person on the inside. That the senior class can see past someone's Down Syndrome is something to be commended.


Do you think any of them consider her their friend? Though, that may say nothing about the class because I imagine she is incapable of having real "friends." Homecoming Queen is supposed to be the face of your school. If you looked at a catalog of schools with only their name and a picture of their Homecoming Queen would you want that girl next to your school?


The way I see it, there's already enough places out there advertising for their own personal gains. What's so interesting about this article's school is that it's not all about the pretty faces or outward appearance. I think it's great that there's a place out there that exists like this school.


It doesn't. They probably voted for her because "oh my goodness! Let's make her feel good because she has down syndrome!" It's not, "Wow, she's a really amazing person, and the way she looks shouldn't be the deciding factor of who gets to be homecoming queen." It was a pity vote. I can imagine kids in high school all going around and telling each other to vote for her to make her feel good/important/special.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that she was voted homecoming queen or anything, it was nice of the students to do so. But to think that they actually looked beyond superficiality is ridiculous. I think it's just a matter of a student body wanting to make themselves feel better about themselves for not being so superficial, which makes them superficial. If you follow what I'm saying. I have no proof to back this up at all, I'm just basing it on personal experience (not just what happened to me, but what I saw happen other places/still see in other places).


QFT
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
theonemephisto
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States409 Posts
October 19 2008 16:41 GMT
#34
On October 20 2008 01:18 grobo wrote:
I'm not really familiar with the homecoming queens, prom king/queens and all of that, but is this stuff really big? i mean is this something you remember for years or is it just a "funny thing" people talk about for 1-2days?

Depends on the school and the clique that you're a part of. I know that in my school and all the schools in the area, no one cares at all except the "popular" girls (and it isn't even that big of a deal for them).

As far as I know, it's some fun for those chosen to be on the court, but nothing special.
ktp
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States797 Posts
October 19 2008 16:58 GMT
#35
I think the few people that campaigned for her to be home coming queen did genuniely care about her as a person and I applaud them for looking past her illness. But the rest of the people that voted for her did it out of pity in order not to look bad in front of their friends that did vote for her.
Enki
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2548 Posts
October 19 2008 17:46 GMT
#36
She is hideous, the fuck?

Obviously, it was a pity vote. Like someone else said, Homecoming Kings and Queens are supposed to be attractive, that's how it works everywhere. It's nothing but a fucking image contest.

And Goddamn is her forehead huge too.
"Practice, practice, practice. And when you're not practicing you should be practicing. It's the only way to get better. The only way." I run the Smix Fanclub!
ambit!ous1
Profile Joined September 2007
United States3662 Posts
October 19 2008 17:48 GMT
#37
congrats to her!
Bisu[Shield] / ♔ SoYeon
Kennelie
Profile Joined December 2007
United States2296 Posts
October 19 2008 18:07 GMT
#38
Hrmmm i read about this a week or so ago...I live around the area. Nice to know there's some kids nowadays that have some sort of heart.
ya had ya shot kid!
Raithed
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
China7078 Posts
October 19 2008 18:09 GMT
#39
On October 19 2008 14:02 iheartgna wrote:
That is so pathetic.

Edit: I decided to explain. Chastising someone with disabilities just magnifies their ailment. Shit, I've never seen an unhappy kid with down syndrome, they could have just bought her a lollipop.

TeCh)PsylO
Profile Joined October 2002
United States3552 Posts
October 19 2008 18:15 GMT
#40
Wow, you guys are cynical. I think whether or not she truly is popular with people(something we have no reason to doubt) or if this was a pity vote, is irrelevant. Either way the people in her high school have been "big" enough to prevent this from being a bigger disadvantage than it already is by putting her on the same social level, so to speak. For a bunch of high school kids, I think that is impressive.
People change, then forget to tell each other - Susan Scott
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings89
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O149
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 140
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 860
ZZZero.O 149
Bale 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm198
League of Legends
Doublelift5051
JimRising 790
Counter-Strike
minikerr3
Other Games
summit1g10655
FrodaN3308
C9.Mang0249
KnowMe129
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP97
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 50m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
10h 50m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 50m
Replay Cast
22h 50m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 10h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.