• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:19
CEST 17:19
KST 00:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8560 users

Russo-Ukrainian War Thread - Page 814

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 812 813 814 815 816 956 Next
NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44361 Posts
May 18 2025 21:24 GMT
#16261
On May 19 2025 06:12 Nebuchad wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 19 2025 05:34 KwarK wrote:
The two conflicts are simply not comparable in the way that some people want them to be. You might as well go “well you’re against murder so surely you’re against abortion”. No, one does not necessarily follow from the other. They’re not the same.

Like why does Palestine get to play the part of Ukraine? Is Israel not the party who was attacked at the start of this most recent war? Hamas can play the part of Russia reasonably well. Is Hamas not openly and unambiguously committed to a policy of destroying both the state and population of Israel? Could we not equally say “if you recognize Ukraine is the victim then you must recognize Israel is the victim”?

The problem with that is that Israel is the more militarily powerful of the two in that conflict and so the comparison doesn’t really work. But none of the comparisons work. People should stop trying them. Not everything needs to be boiled down to the stupidest possible comparisons and sides. Situations can be nuanced and that’s okay.


Don't see where someone has compared the two conflicts. And yeah of course you can say anything you want, the only thing that's going to happen is that you're going to make me cringe, I think you should be okay with that outcome.

You’re so weird.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12559 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-05-18 21:28:20
May 18 2025 21:26 GMT
#16262
On May 19 2025 06:20 aseq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 18 2025 21:50 Yurie wrote:
On May 18 2025 19:51 Excludos wrote:
On May 18 2025 17:58 Andre wrote:
Poll: Who do you support?

(Vote): Ukraine & Israel
(Vote): Ukraine & Palestine
(Vote): Russia & Israel
(Vote): Russia & Palestine



Kinda weird pool. Why do you have to support either Israel or Palestine? That's not a situation that is binary black and white, evil vs good, such as Russia and Ukraine.


The choices are simple depending on what reason you use to support the stance.

If you are against expansionist wars you are pro Ukraine and Palestine.

If you are against slow genocide you are against Russia and Israel.

If you are against the initial aggressor in a conflict or their political leadership then you are against Russia and the other choice gets messy.


The difference is that if Palestine was in Israel's place, they'd do exactly the same as Israel does. Or probably a lot worse, as we're still only at 2 - 2.5% deaths.


If that was happening, would you see all of the nuance and complexity in that situation? Do you think the West would?

On May 19 2025 06:24 KwarK wrote:
You’re so weird.


If you are not okay with the outcome of making me cringe, you've been posting very very incorrectly for about a year and a half.
No will to live, no wish to die
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44361 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-05-18 21:36:54
May 18 2025 21:36 GMT
#16263
It’s weird that you feel so strongly about me and want so desperately for me to know how every one of my posts, no matter who it was directed at, has impacted you. You are way, way more in to me than I am in to you. The fact that your immediate response was to assume I care whether you’re cringing is very telling. I don’t care about anything you do. You’re really weird. That’s all.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12559 Posts
May 18 2025 21:48 GMT
#16264
On May 19 2025 06:36 KwarK wrote:
It’s weird that you feel so strongly about me and want so desperately for me to know how every one of my posts, no matter who it was directed at, has impacted you. You are way, way more in to me than I am in to you. The fact that your immediate response was to assume I care whether you’re cringing is very telling. I don’t care about anything you do. You’re really weird. That’s all.


I apologize, I thought that your initial post was directed at me, I'm sorry. My mistake.
No will to live, no wish to die
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
May 18 2025 22:01 GMT
#16265
On May 18 2025 23:59 Sent. wrote:
Wombat if you compare your first reactions to anything GH and Blackjack posts you might get the idea why he's thinking you and a group of other posters are giving the former a pass. I think he's mostly wrong but it's easy to get an impression that moderate lefties here will go out of their way to twist GH's statements into something acceptable. The few controversial right wing posters who remain active can't expect the same.

Obviously that's just how I see it, I'm not saying it's some objective truth.

Aye that’s sometimes fair, although I feel it’s often more a case of interpersonal relations and various foibles than necessarily being due to political alignment. And yeah sometimes it’ll be political in nature too. I think it’s a pity we don’t have more conservative voices and have said so many times,

To quote myself on what prompted this particular tangent:
Has GH ever expressed those kind of Pro-Hamas sentiments though?

I think he’s massively off-base on Russia/Ukraine but I don’t recall him doing that.

To which one can answer, yes, despite you not recalling, he has in fact done this. Or, alternatively, actually that might have been hyperbolic and he has not done that. Or whatever.

Far as I’m concerned, GH has provided several miles of rope with which to criticise him on this specific topic. But is that part of it?

I’m not sitting here printing my #TeamGH tees or plotting my daily white knighting session, I was making a very specific point.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
maybenexttime
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Poland5872 Posts
May 18 2025 22:02 GMT
#16266
On May 19 2025 06:20 aseq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 18 2025 21:50 Yurie wrote:
On May 18 2025 19:51 Excludos wrote:
On May 18 2025 17:58 Andre wrote:
Poll: Who do you support?

(Vote): Ukraine & Israel
(Vote): Ukraine & Palestine
(Vote): Russia & Israel
(Vote): Russia & Palestine



Kinda weird pool. Why do you have to support either Israel or Palestine? That's not a situation that is binary black and white, evil vs good, such as Russia and Ukraine.


The choices are simple depending on what reason you use to support the stance.

If you are against expansionist wars you are pro Ukraine and Palestine.

If you are against slow genocide you are against Russia and Israel.

If you are against the initial aggressor in a conflict or their political leadership then you are against Russia and the other choice gets messy.


The difference is that if Palestine was in Israel's place, they'd do exactly the same as Israel does. Or probably a lot worse, as we're still only at 2 - 2.5% deaths. There are no good sides in that conflict. As for Ukraine, it's a question of sovereignty. Say Mexico made a deal with China and allowed them to build a military base on their territory close to the US border, what would happen? Would US try to use it's influence to get rid of it? Would they bomb the base? Or attack Mexico to make sure it gets removed? Is Mexico ever to be (partially) blamed, as they're a sovereign country and did not do anything wrong?

Except in this case Russia was the only country with a military base in Ukraine (Crimea). There weren't any plans for a NATO base in Ukraine despite Russian propaganda.
Billyboy
Profile Joined September 2024
2479 Posts
May 18 2025 22:28 GMT
#16267
On May 19 2025 07:01 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 18 2025 23:59 Sent. wrote:
Wombat if you compare your first reactions to anything GH and Blackjack posts you might get the idea why he's thinking you and a group of other posters are giving the former a pass. I think he's mostly wrong but it's easy to get an impression that moderate lefties here will go out of their way to twist GH's statements into something acceptable. The few controversial right wing posters who remain active can't expect the same.

Obviously that's just how I see it, I'm not saying it's some objective truth.

Aye that’s sometimes fair, although I feel it’s often more a case of interpersonal relations and various foibles than necessarily being due to political alignment. And yeah sometimes it’ll be political in nature too. I think it’s a pity we don’t have more conservative voices and have said so many times,

To quote myself on what prompted this particular tangent:
Show nested quote +
Has GH ever expressed those kind of Pro-Hamas sentiments though?

I think he’s massively off-base on Russia/Ukraine but I don’t recall him doing that.

To which one can answer, yes, despite you not recalling, he has in fact done this. Or, alternatively, actually that might have been hyperbolic and he has not done that. Or whatever.

Far as I’m concerned, GH has provided several miles of rope with which to criticise him on this specific topic. But is that part of it?

I’m not sitting here printing my #TeamGH tees or plotting my daily white knighting session, I was making a very specific point.


A very specific point that you only make to me and only for the people who identify as communists. A standard you don't hold yourself too, to the point that even when corrected you hold your assumption above what has been directly stated to you.

If GH thinks I misrepresented him and he believes that Hamas is evil org that does not give two shits about the Palestinians and is only about the destruction of Israel, killing the all the Jews and their supporters and is a proxy army of Iran who is just a different oppressor. No one is stopping him.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
May 18 2025 23:06 GMT
#16268
On May 19 2025 07:28 Billyboy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 19 2025 07:01 WombaT wrote:
On May 18 2025 23:59 Sent. wrote:
Wombat if you compare your first reactions to anything GH and Blackjack posts you might get the idea why he's thinking you and a group of other posters are giving the former a pass. I think he's mostly wrong but it's easy to get an impression that moderate lefties here will go out of their way to twist GH's statements into something acceptable. The few controversial right wing posters who remain active can't expect the same.

Obviously that's just how I see it, I'm not saying it's some objective truth.

Aye that’s sometimes fair, although I feel it’s often more a case of interpersonal relations and various foibles than necessarily being due to political alignment. And yeah sometimes it’ll be political in nature too. I think it’s a pity we don’t have more conservative voices and have said so many times,

To quote myself on what prompted this particular tangent:
Has GH ever expressed those kind of Pro-Hamas sentiments though?

I think he’s massively off-base on Russia/Ukraine but I don’t recall him doing that.

To which one can answer, yes, despite you not recalling, he has in fact done this. Or, alternatively, actually that might have been hyperbolic and he has not done that. Or whatever.

Far as I’m concerned, GH has provided several miles of rope with which to criticise him on this specific topic. But is that part of it?

I’m not sitting here printing my #TeamGH tees or plotting my daily white knighting session, I was making a very specific point.


A very specific point that you only make to me and only for the people who identify as communists. A standard you don't hold yourself too, to the point that even when corrected you hold your assumption above what has been directly stated to you.

If GH thinks I misrepresented him and he believes that Hamas is evil org that does not give two shits about the Palestinians and is only about the destruction of Israel, killing the all the Jews and their supporters and is a proxy army of Iran who is just a different oppressor. No one is stopping him.

You said:
But Hamas entering Israel and killing >1000 civilians taking hostages and getting all their citizens bombed is good leadership


Has GH expressed such overly positive sentiments towards Hamas or not? It’s a pretty simple question.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Billyboy
Profile Joined September 2024
2479 Posts
May 18 2025 23:23 GMT
#16269
On May 19 2025 08:06 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 19 2025 07:28 Billyboy wrote:
On May 19 2025 07:01 WombaT wrote:
On May 18 2025 23:59 Sent. wrote:
Wombat if you compare your first reactions to anything GH and Blackjack posts you might get the idea why he's thinking you and a group of other posters are giving the former a pass. I think he's mostly wrong but it's easy to get an impression that moderate lefties here will go out of their way to twist GH's statements into something acceptable. The few controversial right wing posters who remain active can't expect the same.

Obviously that's just how I see it, I'm not saying it's some objective truth.

Aye that’s sometimes fair, although I feel it’s often more a case of interpersonal relations and various foibles than necessarily being due to political alignment. And yeah sometimes it’ll be political in nature too. I think it’s a pity we don’t have more conservative voices and have said so many times,

To quote myself on what prompted this particular tangent:
Has GH ever expressed those kind of Pro-Hamas sentiments though?

I think he’s massively off-base on Russia/Ukraine but I don’t recall him doing that.

To which one can answer, yes, despite you not recalling, he has in fact done this. Or, alternatively, actually that might have been hyperbolic and he has not done that. Or whatever.

Far as I’m concerned, GH has provided several miles of rope with which to criticise him on this specific topic. But is that part of it?

I’m not sitting here printing my #TeamGH tees or plotting my daily white knighting session, I was making a very specific point.


A very specific point that you only make to me and only for the people who identify as communists. A standard you don't hold yourself too, to the point that even when corrected you hold your assumption above what has been directly stated to you.

If GH thinks I misrepresented him and he believes that Hamas is evil org that does not give two shits about the Palestinians and is only about the destruction of Israel, killing the all the Jews and their supporters and is a proxy army of Iran who is just a different oppressor. No one is stopping him.

You said:
Show nested quote +
But Hamas entering Israel and killing >1000 civilians taking hostages and getting all their citizens bombed is good leadership


Has GH expressed such overly positive sentiments towards Hamas or not? It’s a pretty simple question.

I've already answered your question. I'm not sure what your whole point of questioning was or is. The white knighting is so tiring, like did you parents not teach you to worry about yourself?
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
May 18 2025 23:45 GMT
#16270
On May 19 2025 08:23 Billyboy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 19 2025 08:06 WombaT wrote:
On May 19 2025 07:28 Billyboy wrote:
On May 19 2025 07:01 WombaT wrote:
On May 18 2025 23:59 Sent. wrote:
Wombat if you compare your first reactions to anything GH and Blackjack posts you might get the idea why he's thinking you and a group of other posters are giving the former a pass. I think he's mostly wrong but it's easy to get an impression that moderate lefties here will go out of their way to twist GH's statements into something acceptable. The few controversial right wing posters who remain active can't expect the same.

Obviously that's just how I see it, I'm not saying it's some objective truth.

Aye that’s sometimes fair, although I feel it’s often more a case of interpersonal relations and various foibles than necessarily being due to political alignment. And yeah sometimes it’ll be political in nature too. I think it’s a pity we don’t have more conservative voices and have said so many times,

To quote myself on what prompted this particular tangent:
Has GH ever expressed those kind of Pro-Hamas sentiments though?

I think he’s massively off-base on Russia/Ukraine but I don’t recall him doing that.

To which one can answer, yes, despite you not recalling, he has in fact done this. Or, alternatively, actually that might have been hyperbolic and he has not done that. Or whatever.

Far as I’m concerned, GH has provided several miles of rope with which to criticise him on this specific topic. But is that part of it?

I’m not sitting here printing my #TeamGH tees or plotting my daily white knighting session, I was making a very specific point.


A very specific point that you only make to me and only for the people who identify as communists. A standard you don't hold yourself too, to the point that even when corrected you hold your assumption above what has been directly stated to you.

If GH thinks I misrepresented him and he believes that Hamas is evil org that does not give two shits about the Palestinians and is only about the destruction of Israel, killing the all the Jews and their supporters and is a proxy army of Iran who is just a different oppressor. No one is stopping him.

You said:
But Hamas entering Israel and killing >1000 civilians taking hostages and getting all their citizens bombed is good leadership


Has GH expressed such overly positive sentiments towards Hamas or not? It’s a pretty simple question.

I've already answered your question. I'm not sure what your whole point of questioning was or is. The white knighting is so tiring, like did you parents not teach you to worry about yourself?

You haven’t answered my question at all. Has GH proffered opinions such as Hamas being ‘good leadership’, or any kind of positive feelings on the events of October 7th?

Has he done this? You said he holds these views, not me. So it should be pretty trivial to show your working.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
ZeroByte13
Profile Joined March 2022
799 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-05-19 00:09:27
May 19 2025 00:09 GMT
#16271
Common, guys, this has nothing to do with the war between Russia and Ukraine.
It's started as a bit off-topic and now it's full-on off-topic.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
May 19 2025 00:15 GMT
#16272
On May 19 2025 09:09 ZeroByte13 wrote:
Common, guys, this has nothing to do with the war between Russia and Ukraine.
It's started as a bit off-topic and now it's full-on off-topic.

Fair point, will drop.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-05-19 07:39:41
May 19 2025 07:39 GMT
#16273
On May 19 2025 09:09 ZeroByte13 wrote:
Common, guys, this has nothing to do with the war between Russia and Ukraine.
It's started as a bit off-topic and now it's full-on off-topic.


Thank you

In other news, this was signalled a few weeks ago, but is now going through. EU is adding another sanction to Russia, the 17th one, this time focusing on the shadow oil fleet: https://www.livemint.com/news/world/eu-to-slap-17th-package-of-sanctions-on-russia-vietnam-serbia-turkey-to-face-restriction-for-aiding-kremlin-11747207583950.html

Unfortunately, it's a modest package, much weaker than originally planned, as Trump undermined them in the 11th hour. Video explaining it in a bit more detail:


And, I would say likely more to come, especially after Poland confirmed that Russia was behind the arson of Marywilska 44.
https://notesfrompoland.com/2025/05/12/poland-confirms-russia-behind-fire-that-destroyed-warsaws-biggest-shopping-centre/

In any other timeline, this would be seen as a direct attack and trigger article 5. But so would so much else that ends up never getting mentioned again..
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12889 Posts
May 19 2025 08:29 GMT
#16274
On May 19 2025 16:39 Excludos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 19 2025 09:09 ZeroByte13 wrote:
Common, guys, this has nothing to do with the war between Russia and Ukraine.
It's started as a bit off-topic and now it's full-on off-topic.


Thank you

In other news, this was signalled a few weeks ago, but is now going through. EU is adding another sanction to Russia, the 17th one, this time focusing on the shadow oil fleet: https://www.livemint.com/news/world/eu-to-slap-17th-package-of-sanctions-on-russia-vietnam-serbia-turkey-to-face-restriction-for-aiding-kremlin-11747207583950.html

Unfortunately, it's a modest package, much weaker than originally planned, as Trump undermined them in the 11th hour. Video explaining it in a bit more detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VApJtIyMEec

And, I would say likely more to come, especially after Poland confirmed that Russia was behind the arson of Marywilska 44.
https://notesfrompoland.com/2025/05/12/poland-confirms-russia-behind-fire-that-destroyed-warsaws-biggest-shopping-centre/

In any other timeline, this would be seen as a direct attack and trigger article 5. But so would so much else that ends up never getting mentioned again..

You will see these "analysts" flipflopping.
just go back to what they said a year or two ago, how peace isn't an option etc, Russia wants a quick war.
And now they are all up and arms about how the US is not enabling the ceasefire, let's not forget the US was the one to put ceasefire back into the spotlight.
Peace talks could last a year before any kind of a deal, so much time were wasted all while losing ground.
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
Jankisa
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Croatia1765 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-05-19 09:33:35
May 19 2025 09:31 GMT
#16275
Let's put the comparison in real terms. A nice what if scenario, we just move the dials a bit on the power balances. Important note: Putin and Russia for some reason decide that they won't threat with nukes or consider using them at all.

Let's say that on Feb 22 Russia attacked, just like they did. Let's say that the US has been preparing for this since 2014, after Crimea and Donbas and Luhansk Obama declared unlimited friendship and providing of the most modern weapons US has to give, F-35's, 2000 LB bombs, best AA and other systems, on top of unlimited intelligence sharing.

Then, in 2022 the attack gets repelled and squashed within 3 days, Russians are driven away from around Kyiv, Kherson, Kharkiv, then Ukrainian forces march on and during the next few months they, with support from US who parked an aircraft Carrier group in the Black Sea and provided support to Ukrainian navy who crushed and driven Russian one all the way to Sevastopol.

Ukrainians then proceed to bomb the shit out of Crimea, indiscriminately raining 2000 LB bombs on top of hospitals and civilian infrastructure that they claim was being used by Russian forces. They take Crimea.

They proceed and start a relentless bombing campaign and with thousands of civilian casualties over the next few months take whole Donbas and Luhansk.

They then set their sights at Kursk and Belgograd and start bombing campaigns.

I think we are around here on the timeline comparison, Israel is now doing things with an excuse of "stopping Hamas" that are completely unnecessary, but they "need their security", and I don't see why Ukraine shouldn't create a nice little buffer zones along border regions, taking a few cities and sending a message by bombing them relentlessly.

How many of you guys who are here with "but Hamas wants to destroy them" would be OK with Ukraine going this far?

I genuinely want to know, because to me everything beyond the first 3 months of Israel's operations in Gaza is collective punishment that constitutes war crimes and yes, at least an attempted genocide and 100 % ethnic cleansing.

I know that, for me, after Ukraine got it's territory back I would back the fuck up from my support of them as soon as they dropped a single bomb on actual Russian territory. I know that I'd probably start being very squirmy way before that, is it really, really necessary to bomb hospitals? Is punishing actual Crimean population really fair, after all, they joined Russia on false pretenses, with a rigged referendum, should they really be punished?
So, are you a pessimist? - On my better days. Are you a nihilist? - Not as much as I should be.
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-05-19 09:39:59
May 19 2025 09:35 GMT
#16276
On May 19 2025 09:09 ZeroByte13 wrote:
Common, guys, this has nothing to do with the war between Russia and Ukraine.
It's started as a bit off-topic and now it's full-on off-topic.


Bears repeating. Let's end this discussion, and this inane attempt to compare the two situations. They just are not comparable, and any attempt at it is disingenuous and purposefully leaves at all the details that actually makes them different (such as the long history, the cultures, the generations of hateful feelings of everyone involved, the oppressions - in both directions, etc.)

If you want to talk about Israel and Palestine, there's a separate thread for that. It does not belong here
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12559 Posts
May 19 2025 10:59 GMT
#16277
This is the opposite of a comparison. By modifying the Ukraine conflict to match Israel, he's displaying that they aren't the same. If the conflicts were the same he wouldn't have to do that.
No will to live, no wish to die
Jankisa
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Croatia1765 Posts
May 19 2025 12:22 GMT
#16278
Sorry, I came in to the discussion after the weekend and wanted to chime in after reading the backlog, I thought it would be OK since I first called out GH about the negotiations and that devolved into the I/P comparison.

Sorry if it's off topic for too long by now but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents, since I feel like some posters here are missing that the "we need security and we need to respond to this aggression" argument can't be valid indefinitely.
So, are you a pessimist? - On my better days. Are you a nihilist? - Not as much as I should be.
Harris1st
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany7423 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-05-19 13:16:08
May 19 2025 13:15 GMT
#16279
On May 19 2025 18:31 Jankisa wrote:
Let's put the comparison in real terms. A nice what if scenario, we just move the dials a bit on the power balances. Important note: Putin and Russia for some reason decide that they won't threat with nukes or consider using them at all.

Let's say that on Feb 22 Russia attacked, just like they did. Let's say that the US has been preparing for this since 2014, after Crimea and Donbas and Luhansk Obama declared unlimited friendship and providing of the most modern weapons US has to give, F-35's, 2000 LB bombs, best AA and other systems, on top of unlimited intelligence sharing.

Then, in 2022 the attack gets repelled and squashed within 3 days, Russians are driven away from around Kyiv, Kherson, Kharkiv, then Ukrainian forces march on and during the next few months they, with support from US who parked an aircraft Carrier group in the Black Sea and provided support to Ukrainian navy who crushed and driven Russian one all the way to Sevastopol.

Ukrainians then proceed to bomb the shit out of Crimea, indiscriminately raining 2000 LB bombs on top of hospitals and civilian infrastructure that they claim was being used by Russian forces. They take Crimea.

They proceed and start a relentless bombing campaign and with thousands of civilian casualties over the next few months take whole Donbas and Luhansk.

They then set their sights at Kursk and Belgograd and start bombing campaigns.

I think we are around here on the timeline comparison, Israel is now doing things with an excuse of "stopping Hamas" that are completely unnecessary, but they "need their security", and I don't see why Ukraine shouldn't create a nice little buffer zones along border regions, taking a few cities and sending a message by bombing them relentlessly.

How many of you guys who are here with "but Hamas wants to destroy them" would be OK with Ukraine going this far?

I genuinely want to know, because to me everything beyond the first 3 months of Israel's operations in Gaza is collective punishment that constitutes war crimes and yes, at least an attempted genocide and 100 % ethnic cleansing.

I know that, for me, after Ukraine got it's territory back I would back the fuck up from my support of them as soon as they dropped a single bomb on actual Russian territory. I know that I'd probably start being very squirmy way before that, is it really, really necessary to bomb hospitals? Is punishing actual Crimean population really fair, after all, they joined Russia on false pretenses, with a rigged referendum, should they really be punished?


Not your actual question to the what if scenario, but with the conflict going as it was going, I think energy infrastructure and military buildings inside Russian borders are fair game. Schools, hospitals and shopping malls not so much. Sooner or later Russian military would probalby use those mentioned buildings for military purposes. Then they become fair game as well (in the hope civilians have evacuated and are not used as meatshields by Russian military).
Go Serral! GG EZ for Ence. Flashbang dance FTW
Jankisa
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Croatia1765 Posts
May 19 2025 13:47 GMT
#16280
On May 19 2025 22:15 Harris1st wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 19 2025 18:31 Jankisa wrote:
Let's put the comparison in real terms. A nice what if scenario, we just move the dials a bit on the power balances. Important note: Putin and Russia for some reason decide that they won't threat with nukes or consider using them at all.

Let's say that on Feb 22 Russia attacked, just like they did. Let's say that the US has been preparing for this since 2014, after Crimea and Donbas and Luhansk Obama declared unlimited friendship and providing of the most modern weapons US has to give, F-35's, 2000 LB bombs, best AA and other systems, on top of unlimited intelligence sharing.

Then, in 2022 the attack gets repelled and squashed within 3 days, Russians are driven away from around Kyiv, Kherson, Kharkiv, then Ukrainian forces march on and during the next few months they, with support from US who parked an aircraft Carrier group in the Black Sea and provided support to Ukrainian navy who crushed and driven Russian one all the way to Sevastopol.

Ukrainians then proceed to bomb the shit out of Crimea, indiscriminately raining 2000 LB bombs on top of hospitals and civilian infrastructure that they claim was being used by Russian forces. They take Crimea.

They proceed and start a relentless bombing campaign and with thousands of civilian casualties over the next few months take whole Donbas and Luhansk.

They then set their sights at Kursk and Belgograd and start bombing campaigns.

I think we are around here on the timeline comparison, Israel is now doing things with an excuse of "stopping Hamas" that are completely unnecessary, but they "need their security", and I don't see why Ukraine shouldn't create a nice little buffer zones along border regions, taking a few cities and sending a message by bombing them relentlessly.

How many of you guys who are here with "but Hamas wants to destroy them" would be OK with Ukraine going this far?

I genuinely want to know, because to me everything beyond the first 3 months of Israel's operations in Gaza is collective punishment that constitutes war crimes and yes, at least an attempted genocide and 100 % ethnic cleansing.

I know that, for me, after Ukraine got it's territory back I would back the fuck up from my support of them as soon as they dropped a single bomb on actual Russian territory. I know that I'd probably start being very squirmy way before that, is it really, really necessary to bomb hospitals? Is punishing actual Crimean population really fair, after all, they joined Russia on false pretenses, with a rigged referendum, should they really be punished?


Not your actual question to the what if scenario, but with the conflict going as it was going, I think energy infrastructure and military buildings inside Russian borders are fair game. Schools, hospitals and shopping malls not so much. Sooner or later Russian military would probalby use those mentioned buildings for military purposes. Then they become fair game as well (in the hope civilians have evacuated and are not used as meatshields by Russian military).


With that, I firmly believe 2 things, I might be wrong, but that's what I believe:

1. If that happened, I think that Ukraine wouldn't bomb hospitals and civilian buildings no matter what kind of targets are there, for a few reasons, main one being the morality of such actions and secondary being how it would look outwardly
2. If Ukraine did it, none of their allies would be OK with it and pretend like it's a normal thing to bomb hospitals in a different country in order to secure yours
So, are you a pessimist? - On my better days. Are you a nihilist? - Not as much as I should be.
Prev 1 812 813 814 815 816 956 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 562
SteadfastSC 232
ProTech123
Rex 80
CosmosSc2 39
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 43758
Calm 3551
Jaedong 1925
Shuttle 1795
Horang2 732
Soma 693
Mini 639
EffOrt 544
Soulkey 303
Rush 293
[ Show more ]
Larva 288
Stork 285
BeSt 247
ZerO 233
Snow 209
firebathero 126
Mong 113
Zeus 83
hero 80
910 72
Mind 66
Free 50
Hyun 45
Yoon 42
Shinee 39
sorry 37
Sharp 36
Pusan 34
Shine 33
ToSsGirL 28
Killer 25
JYJ 25
PianO 25
Bale 19
Sexy 18
Aegong 17
scan(afreeca) 15
Terrorterran 15
HiyA 14
Rock 12
Hm[arnc] 12
Trap 12
Sacsri 10
Dota 2
Gorgc5625
Dendi1153
420jenkins173
Counter-Strike
fl0m3438
Fnx 621
x6flipin236
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King113
ChuDatz31
Other Games
singsing2174
Liquid`RaSZi918
hiko689
B2W.Neo555
dupreeh360
ceh9333
crisheroes324
TKL 237
Khaldor234
Livibee199
Hui .153
Trikslyr88
QueenE87
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
StarCraft 2
IntoTheiNu 798
Other Games
BasetradeTV212
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH266
• mYiSmile118
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV316
League of Legends
• Nemesis2462
• Jankos1612
• TFBlade566
Other Games
• Shiphtur697
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
41m
The PondCast
18h 41m
INu's Battles
19h 41m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 7h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.