• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:59
CEST 10:59
KST 17:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6513 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 5686

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5684 5685 5686 5687 5688 5994 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
LightSpectra
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3271 Posts
April 23 2026 15:32 GMT
#113701
Why wouldn't Trump pardon his accomplice?
"don't try to pull a LightSpectra-Trumper"
EnDeR_
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
Spain2944 Posts
April 23 2026 15:41 GMT
#113702
In the UK you usually register to vote at the same time you register for council tax. You have to provide proof of address (normally a utility bill or rental agreement) and proof of id (for me it was passport, but driving licences were also allowed). You submit the documents electronically and if you tick the vote by mail option, then a couple of weeks before the election you receive some mail with the voting envelope, you sign it, seal it and put in the mail and that was that. Mind you this was for local elections, as a noncitizen you can't vote in national elections.
estás más desubicao q un croissant en un plato de nécoras
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27459 Posts
April 23 2026 15:46 GMT
#113703
On April 24 2026 00:32 LightSpectra wrote:
Why wouldn't Trump pardon his accomplice?

Not even Trump can be that dumb, surely?

Epstein-adjacent stuff is one of the few areas his base has shown any propensity to turn on him on, pardoning Maxwell is nae going to go down well.

Trump’s also never particularly shown loyalty to other humans, certainly not if it harms him in any way.

Stranger things have happened, I would be genuinely surprised if this happened though
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46484 Posts
April 23 2026 15:57 GMT
#113704
Baal, a bunch of us (including KwarK, Falling, maybenexttime, LightSpectra, WombaT, Luolis, Gorsameth, Simberto, Harris1st, justanothertownie, Velr, misirlou, Geiko, and I) have responded to your posts regarding in-person voter ID, non-existent widespread voter fraud, and/or fascist cheating Republicans. You asked some questions and received some answers. You made some comments and received some responses from a variety of posters who have a variety of backgrounds and live in a variety of countries. Try not to be so flippant and dismissive of counterpoints and criticism.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27459 Posts
April 23 2026 16:24 GMT
#113705
On April 24 2026 00:41 EnDeR_ wrote:
In the UK you usually register to vote at the same time you register for council tax. You have to provide proof of address (normally a utility bill or rental agreement) and proof of id (for me it was passport, but driving licences were also allowed). You submit the documents electronically and if you tick the vote by mail option, then a couple of weeks before the election you receive some mail with the voting envelope, you sign it, seal it and put in the mail and that was that. Mind you this was for local elections, as a noncitizen you can't vote in national elections.

Is there anywhere you haven’t lived haha?

You can also use expired documents, as I have in the past. So I could still use a passport that wasn’t valid for international travel but it was acceptable ID

There are also provisions for people who don’t have any photo ID, I’m not familiar with how painless those are but one can apply in the lead up to an election.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
April 23 2026 16:24 GMT
#113706
It would be one thing if there was a good faith effort to make sure that people who are allowed to vote are not disenfranchized to vote under stricker rules. Instead you see an institutional effort to make it harder to vote by republicans at every turn. To make it harder for demographics to get the ID they need to "securely" vote.

It would be another thing if there wasn't an halucinated problem of voter fraud in america, specifically kept going by one side without evidence or example to support them.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
LightSpectra
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3271 Posts
April 23 2026 16:32 GMT
#113707
On April 24 2026 01:24 Sermokala wrote:
It would be one thing if there was a good faith effort to make sure that people who are allowed to vote are not disenfranchized to vote under stricker rules. Instead you see an institutional effort to make it harder to vote by republicans at every turn. To make it harder for demographics to get the ID they need to "securely" vote.

It would be another thing if there wasn't an halucinated problem of voter fraud in america, specifically kept going by one side without evidence or example to support them.


Yeah, that sums it up for me. My perspective on "voting fraud" as a Democrat is if someone said "man-eating gophers are killing thousands in Idaho and Democrats won't do anything to stop it because they won't vote for our Instantly Execute Critics of Israel Act!" and it's just horrendously dumb and bad faith in just about every way possible.
"don't try to pull a LightSpectra-Trumper"
dyhb
Profile Joined August 2021
United States769 Posts
April 23 2026 17:48 GMT
#113708
On April 24 2026 00:11 WombaT wrote:For me an American Fascism looks something like:
1. Pretty heavy religious component. And by religious, specifically Christian.
2. Capitalism good.
3. Socialism (or even SocDem stuff) bad.
4. American cultural exceptionalism
5. American exceptionalism in the geopolitical sphere
Most of this looks like bog-standard Republican stuff. As in, Reagan was a fascist because he incorporated overtly religious themes, liked capitalism, hated socialism, and believed in American exceptionalism. This might be exactly what you’re saying btw.

But there’s this trend of opinion on Trump that he represents an actual departure from the traditional Republican Party into fascism. This is pretty incompatible with the big-tent-fascism broad assignations.

As I see it, he went very authoritarian and reactionary (prior cultural dominance of the left, Obama-era upper class opinion). He’s also very overly corrupt. The furthest extent of his fascism is state ownership of industry and statements on that line. What I’m thinking is true here about the views of others on fascism is that it’s fundamentally identical to authoritarianism with the right-wing flavor. The definitions that are broader than mine and to the left of mine frequently and simply combine banal right-coded concepts (religious, American exceptionalism, narrow-American-interest foreign policy, capitalist) and authoritarian viewpoints (expansive view of executive power, using state power to fund and further right-of-center cultural interests).
misirlou
Profile Joined June 2010
Portugal3316 Posts
April 23 2026 17:55 GMT
#113709
On April 24 2026 02:48 dyhb wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2026 00:11 WombaT wrote:For me an American Fascism looks something like:
1. Pretty heavy religious component. And by religious, specifically Christian.
2. Capitalism good.
3. Socialism (or even SocDem stuff) bad.
4. American cultural exceptionalism
5. American exceptionalism in the geopolitical sphere
Most of this looks like bog-standard Republican stuff.


We've been saying that but ya'll just been throwing tantrums
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
April 23 2026 18:04 GMT
#113710
On April 24 2026 02:48 dyhb wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2026 00:11 WombaT wrote:For me an American Fascism looks something like:
1. Pretty heavy religious component. And by religious, specifically Christian.
2. Capitalism good.
3. Socialism (or even SocDem stuff) bad.
4. American cultural exceptionalism
5. American exceptionalism in the geopolitical sphere
Most of this looks like bog-standard Republican stuff.+ Show Spoiler +
As in, Reagan was a fascist because he incorporated overtly religious themes, liked capitalism, hated socialism, and believed in American exceptionalism. This might be exactly what you’re saying btw.

But there’s this trend of opinion on Trump that he represents an actual departure from the traditional Republican Party into fascism. This is pretty incompatible with the big-tent-fascism broad assignations.

As I see it, he went very authoritarian and reactionary (prior cultural dominance of the left, Obama-era upper class opinion). He’s also very overly corrupt. The furthest extent of his fascism is state ownership of industry and statements on that line. What I’m thinking is true here about the views of others on fascism is that it’s fundamentally identical to authoritarianism with the right-wing flavor. The definitions that are broader than mine and to the left of mine frequently and simply combine banal right-coded concepts (religious, American exceptionalism, narrow-American-interest foreign policy, capitalist) and authoritarian viewpoints (expansive view of executive power, using state power to fund and further right-of-center cultural interests).

It's pretty bog standard US stuff really. That's part of the underlying mechanism for it winning the popular vote.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27459 Posts
Last Edited: 2026-04-23 18:11:02
April 23 2026 18:06 GMT
#113711
On April 24 2026 02:48 dyhb wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2026 00:11 WombaT wrote:For me an American Fascism looks something like:
1. Pretty heavy religious component. And by religious, specifically Christian.
2. Capitalism good.
3. Socialism (or even SocDem stuff) bad.
4. American cultural exceptionalism
5. American exceptionalism in the geopolitical sphere
Most of this looks like bog-standard Republican stuff. As in, Reagan was a fascist because he incorporated overtly religious themes, liked capitalism, hated socialism, and believed in American exceptionalism. This might be exactly what you’re saying btw.

But there’s this trend of opinion on Trump that he represents an actual departure from the traditional Republican Party into fascism. This is pretty incompatible with the big-tent-fascism broad assignations.

As I see it, he went very authoritarian and reactionary (prior cultural dominance of the left, Obama-era upper class opinion). He’s also very overly corrupt. The furthest extent of his fascism is state ownership of industry and statements on that line. What I’m thinking is true here about the views of others on fascism is that it’s fundamentally identical to authoritarianism with the right-wing flavor. The definitions that are broader than mine and to the left of mine frequently and simply combine banal right-coded concepts (religious, American exceptionalism, narrow-American-interest foreign policy, capitalist) and authoritarian viewpoints (expansive view of executive power, using state power to fund and further right-of-center cultural interests).

I wouldn’t consider them Fascist necessarily, merely tenets of what would be an American Fascism.

Which I don’t think you have without a leader or regime to tick other boxes and push things over certain thresholds

‘Everyone who disagrees with me is a traitor’ in various forms would be a point of pretty profound difference between a Trump and a Reagan
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
misirlou
Profile Joined June 2010
Portugal3316 Posts
April 23 2026 18:19 GMT
#113712
I mean you could replace "america" with "portugal" in those 5 bullet points and it would perfectly describe the pillars of Portuguese fascist regime.

"Fatima, futebol, fado" they were called - Fatima being a place of a miracle and therefore tied to Catholic values. Go to church and pray. Futebol - Go watch a game and enjoy our athleticism. Fado - portuguese music genre, go to a bar enjoy our culture. The pillars that achieved control and suppressed information and dissent.

And the state protection police was the one that was tasked to solve workplace disputes. Any employee falling out of favor with his boss is a call away from being arrested "yes officer, he was talking about unionizing" and that was that.
EnDeR_
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
Spain2944 Posts
April 23 2026 18:29 GMT
#113713
On April 24 2026 01:24 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2026 00:41 EnDeR_ wrote:
In the UK you usually register to vote at the same time you register for council tax. You have to provide proof of address (normally a utility bill or rental agreement) and proof of id (for me it was passport, but driving licences were also allowed). You submit the documents electronically and if you tick the vote by mail option, then a couple of weeks before the election you receive some mail with the voting envelope, you sign it, seal it and put in the mail and that was that. Mind you this was for local elections, as a noncitizen you can't vote in national elections.

Is there anywhere you haven’t lived haha?

You can also use expired documents, as I have in the past. So I could still use a passport that wasn’t valid for international travel but it was acceptable ID

There are also provisions for people who don’t have any photo ID, I’m not familiar with how painless those are but one can apply in the lead up to an election.


Lived in the US, UK, Germany and Spain (not in that order). Fairly ballsy for a noncitizen to show up with expired id so I never tried that :D

I never tried voting in Germany or America, but now in Spain I received an envelope automatically registering me in the electoral roll after I got my "padron" (a sort of proof of address certificate) which is necessary to register to access healthcare locally.
estás más desubicao q un croissant en un plato de nécoras
dyhb
Profile Joined August 2021
United States769 Posts
Last Edited: 2026-04-23 19:04:26
April 23 2026 19:03 GMT
#113714
On April 24 2026 02:55 misirlou wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2026 02:48 dyhb wrote:
On April 24 2026 00:11 WombaT wrote:For me an American Fascism looks something like:
1. Pretty heavy religious component. And by religious, specifically Christian.
2. Capitalism good.
3. Socialism (or even SocDem stuff) bad.
4. American cultural exceptionalism
5. American exceptionalism in the geopolitical sphere
Most of this looks like bog-standard Republican stuff.


We've been saying that but ya'll just been throwing tantrums
I wish to identify and separate if Trump is a fascist just like Reagan was a fascist (so we'll have to use other words for why Trump is bad), or Reagan wasn't a fascist, and the Republican descent into fascism began with the Tea Party or 2014 Republican Midterms or Trump himself.

Just note that religious, capitalist, anti-socialist, and American exceptionalism has very little to do with anything fascist. It's just a collection of viewpoints primarily associated with the right-of-center to right-wing. Imagine if I told you American fascism was 1. Areligious/anti-religious 2. Capitalism bad 3. Socialism Good 4. America is unexceptional culturally 5. America is unexceptional in the geopolitical sphere. No objection? When I look at some very VERY broad lists, I wonder if the term actually has meaning beyond "right of center."

Again, you don't have to care. I don't use the term in the way others use the term. I'm intrigued at the why among people unlike me that choose the term.

On April 24 2026 03:06 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2026 02:48 dyhb wrote:
On April 24 2026 00:11 WombaT wrote:For me an American Fascism looks something like:
1. Pretty heavy religious component. And by religious, specifically Christian.
2. Capitalism good.
3. Socialism (or even SocDem stuff) bad.
4. American cultural exceptionalism
5. American exceptionalism in the geopolitical sphere
Most of this looks like bog-standard Republican stuff. As in, Reagan was a fascist because he incorporated overtly religious themes, liked capitalism, hated socialism, and believed in American exceptionalism. This might be exactly what you’re saying btw.

But there’s this trend of opinion on Trump that he represents an actual departure from the traditional Republican Party into fascism. This is pretty incompatible with the big-tent-fascism broad assignations.

As I see it, he went very authoritarian and reactionary (prior cultural dominance of the left, Obama-era upper class opinion). He’s also very overly corrupt. The furthest extent of his fascism is state ownership of industry and statements on that line. What I’m thinking is true here about the views of others on fascism is that it’s fundamentally identical to authoritarianism with the right-wing flavor. The definitions that are broader than mine and to the left of mine frequently and simply combine banal right-coded concepts (religious, American exceptionalism, narrow-American-interest foreign policy, capitalist) and authoritarian viewpoints (expansive view of executive power, using state power to fund and further right-of-center cultural interests).

I wouldn’t consider them Fascist necessarily, merely tenets of what would be an American Fascism.

Which I don’t think you have without a leader or regime to tick other boxes and push things over certain thresholds

‘Everyone who disagrees with me is a traitor’ in various forms would be a point of pretty profound difference between a Trump and a Reagan
I'd call your list the tenets of majority-accepted right-wing values from at least the 1960s to today. Nothing in there tells me "Right of center, but also Fascist right of center." If we pretend that I had listed "as 1. Areligious/anti-religious 2. Capitalism bad 3. Socialism Good 4. America is unexceptional culturally 5. America is unexceptional in the geopolitical sphere are tenets of American fascism, I would 100% expect you to ask me where the fascism starts and the bog-standard left-wing viewpoints from the late 1960s to today. This is the difference between also-held beliefs by the fascists (no real argument there), and sincerely-held-thus-fascist. Like if I identified 3 things that Luigi Mangione believed, like deep distrust of big corporations esp health insurance corporations, the present political system being broken, the environment is under threat by fossil fuel companies, can I say truthfully "These three characterize the pro-assassination left." (I say no, not determinative, but if you're listing your 5 as American Fascism, I think those follow the same logic of characterization)

But if you're saying them to merely add that American Fascism also ticks those boxes, I think you're correct under the left's viewpoint of fascism in general.
Artesimo
Profile Joined February 2015
Germany627 Posts
April 23 2026 19:04 GMT
#113715
On April 23 2026 22:49 oBlade wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 23 2026 21:56 Geiko wrote:
European here. My vote usually aligns with conservative values.

In my country I do all the voting by mail and never had to show any ID. There is no voter fraud or anything else despite 1/4 of people here being foreigners.

The prevailing opinion here is that Trump and all the MAGA people who enable him are complete lunatics. The corruption and grifting is so in-your-face obvious that I personally can't take anyone who defends him seriously.
A couple years ago in France, a presidential candidate lost the election because word got out that a rich friend of his had bought him a suit. Compare that to Trump and all his family and friends using the presidency to make litteral billions... The whole world is laughing at your country i hope you know.

You live in France and vote by mail?


I live in germany, vote in germany, and the last time I have not voted by mail was when I lived in a small village I think. And that was because there I would meet some people I care to chat with. So something like 16 years of voting by mail, that includes 3 elections where I was living in a city with my voting location being less than 5min on foot away from my home. No point in queuing up or keeping a date in mind when I can just chuck a letter in the mailbox on my way to work.
Jankisa
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Croatia1757 Posts
Last Edited: 2026-04-23 20:01:12
April 23 2026 19:58 GMT
#113716
On April 24 2026 00:57 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Baal, a bunch of us (including KwarK, Falling, maybenexttime, LightSpectra, WombaT, Luolis, Gorsameth, Simberto, Harris1st, justanothertownie, Velr, misirlou, Geiko, and I) have responded to your posts regarding in-person voter ID, non-existent widespread voter fraud, and/or fascist cheating Republicans. You asked some questions and received some answers. You made some comments and received some responses from a variety of posters who have a variety of backgrounds and live in a variety of countries. Try not to be so flippant and dismissive of counterpoints and criticism.


I honestly have no idea why so many people take this guy seriously and try to engage with him.

He, to me, seems like a very troubled individual who has spent most of his time since he started posting here (again, I guess) insulting people and bringing up idiotic right wing talking points from the last 5 years.

The guy is basically a neo-Nazi, he wished for a mass casualty event in the Mexico thread, he uses the same "edgelord" phrases as white supremacist mass murderers but somehow any time he descends on this thread and derails it with his inane bullshit everyone flocks to engage with it, it's very strange to me.

For guys like oBlade or Introvert, I get it, while they have and support many views I find disgusting, they are relatively eloquent and don't seem to be outright nazis, this guy is not, even Ryzda and Jimmy can be entertaining and seem like relatively genuine people, this guy, if he weren't (poorly) hiding his power level would be posting how holocaust was exaggerated, so why anyone takes him seriously is beyond me.
So, are you a pessimist? - On my better days. Are you a nihilist? - Not as much as I should be.
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12015 Posts
April 23 2026 20:07 GMT
#113717
On April 24 2026 03:29 EnDeR_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2026 01:24 WombaT wrote:
On April 24 2026 00:41 EnDeR_ wrote:
In the UK you usually register to vote at the same time you register for council tax. You have to provide proof of address (normally a utility bill or rental agreement) and proof of id (for me it was passport, but driving licences were also allowed). You submit the documents electronically and if you tick the vote by mail option, then a couple of weeks before the election you receive some mail with the voting envelope, you sign it, seal it and put in the mail and that was that. Mind you this was for local elections, as a noncitizen you can't vote in national elections.

Is there anywhere you haven’t lived haha?

You can also use expired documents, as I have in the past. So I could still use a passport that wasn’t valid for international travel but it was acceptable ID

There are also provisions for people who don’t have any photo ID, I’m not familiar with how painless those are but one can apply in the lead up to an election.


Lived in the US, UK, Germany and Spain (not in that order). Fairly ballsy for a noncitizen to show up with expired id so I never tried that :D

I never tried voting in Germany or America, but now in Spain I received an envelope automatically registering me in the electoral roll after I got my "padron" (a sort of proof of address certificate) which is necessary to register to access healthcare locally.



If you are an EU citizen, you should have gotten an invitation to vote during local elections in Germany (if a local election was held during the time you were here, about every 4 years there is one.) Non-EU-Citizens don't get to vote in any German elections, and only Germans get to vote in state and national elections.

On April 24 2026 04:04 Artesimo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 23 2026 22:49 oBlade wrote:
On April 23 2026 21:56 Geiko wrote:
European here. My vote usually aligns with conservative values.

In my country I do all the voting by mail and never had to show any ID. There is no voter fraud or anything else despite 1/4 of people here being foreigners.

The prevailing opinion here is that Trump and all the MAGA people who enable him are complete lunatics. The corruption and grifting is so in-your-face obvious that I personally can't take anyone who defends him seriously.
A couple years ago in France, a presidential candidate lost the election because word got out that a rich friend of his had bought him a suit. Compare that to Trump and all his family and friends using the presidency to make litteral billions... The whole world is laughing at your country i hope you know.

You live in France and vote by mail?


I live in germany, vote in germany, and the last time I have not voted by mail was when I lived in a small village I think. And that was because there I would meet some people I care to chat with. So something like 16 years of voting by mail, that includes 3 elections where I was living in a city with my voting location being less than 5min on foot away from my home. No point in queuing up or keeping a date in mind when I can just chuck a letter in the mailbox on my way to work.


I personally really like voting in person. There is something nice about seeing democracy happen. And somehow the elections feel more "real" to me that way.

Waiting times are between low and none in my experience. But i have also done voting by mail, for example when i was on vacation when there was an election.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27459 Posts
April 23 2026 20:49 GMT
#113718
On April 24 2026 04:03 dyhb wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2026 02:55 misirlou wrote:
On April 24 2026 02:48 dyhb wrote:
On April 24 2026 00:11 WombaT wrote:For me an American Fascism looks something like:
1. Pretty heavy religious component. And by religious, specifically Christian.
2. Capitalism good.
3. Socialism (or even SocDem stuff) bad.
4. American cultural exceptionalism
5. American exceptionalism in the geopolitical sphere
Most of this looks like bog-standard Republican stuff.


We've been saying that but ya'll just been throwing tantrums
I wish to identify and separate if Trump is a fascist just like Reagan was a fascist (so we'll have to use other words for why Trump is bad), or Reagan wasn't a fascist, and the Republican descent into fascism began with the Tea Party or 2014 Republican Midterms or Trump himself.

Just note that religious, capitalist, anti-socialist, and American exceptionalism has very little to do with anything fascist. It's just a collection of viewpoints primarily associated with the right-of-center to right-wing. Imagine if I told you American fascism was 1. Areligious/anti-religious 2. Capitalism bad 3. Socialism Good 4. America is unexceptional culturally 5. America is unexceptional in the geopolitical sphere. No objection? When I look at some very VERY broad lists, I wonder if the term actually has meaning beyond "right of center."

Again, you don't have to care. I don't use the term in the way others use the term. I'm intrigued at the why among people unlike me that choose the term.

Show nested quote +
On April 24 2026 03:06 WombaT wrote:
On April 24 2026 02:48 dyhb wrote:
On April 24 2026 00:11 WombaT wrote:For me an American Fascism looks something like:
1. Pretty heavy religious component. And by religious, specifically Christian.
2. Capitalism good.
3. Socialism (or even SocDem stuff) bad.
4. American cultural exceptionalism
5. American exceptionalism in the geopolitical sphere
Most of this looks like bog-standard Republican stuff. As in, Reagan was a fascist because he incorporated overtly religious themes, liked capitalism, hated socialism, and believed in American exceptionalism. This might be exactly what you’re saying btw.

But there’s this trend of opinion on Trump that he represents an actual departure from the traditional Republican Party into fascism. This is pretty incompatible with the big-tent-fascism broad assignations.

As I see it, he went very authoritarian and reactionary (prior cultural dominance of the left, Obama-era upper class opinion). He’s also very overly corrupt. The furthest extent of his fascism is state ownership of industry and statements on that line. What I’m thinking is true here about the views of others on fascism is that it’s fundamentally identical to authoritarianism with the right-wing flavor. The definitions that are broader than mine and to the left of mine frequently and simply combine banal right-coded concepts (religious, American exceptionalism, narrow-American-interest foreign policy, capitalist) and authoritarian viewpoints (expansive view of executive power, using state power to fund and further right-of-center cultural interests).

I wouldn’t consider them Fascist necessarily, merely tenets of what would be an American Fascism.

Which I don’t think you have without a leader or regime to tick other boxes and push things over certain thresholds

‘Everyone who disagrees with me is a traitor’ in various forms would be a point of pretty profound difference between a Trump and a Reagan
I'd call your list the tenets of majority-accepted right-wing values from at least the 1960s to today. Nothing in there tells me "Right of center, but also Fascist right of center." If we pretend that I had listed "as 1. Areligious/anti-religious 2. Capitalism bad 3. Socialism Good 4. America is unexceptional culturally 5. America is unexceptional in the geopolitical sphere are tenets of American fascism, I would 100% expect you to ask me where the fascism starts and the bog-standard left-wing viewpoints from the late 1960s to today. This is the difference between also-held beliefs by the fascists (no real argument there), and sincerely-held-thus-fascist. Like if I identified 3 things that Luigi Mangione believed, like deep distrust of big corporations esp health insurance corporations, the present political system being broken, the environment is under threat by fossil fuel companies, can I say truthfully "These three characterize the pro-assassination left." (I say no, not determinative, but if you're listing your 5 as American Fascism, I think those follow the same logic of characterization)

But if you're saying them to merely add that American Fascism also ticks those boxes, I think you're correct under the left's viewpoint of fascism in general.

‘Plus ofc the more standard stuff that tends to be shared, strong leaders (or collective) militaristic and general nationalistic veneration etc.‘

Which I stuck right after my ‘list’ which wasn’t especially meant to be exhaustive.

I’m not particularly trying to argue whether the place is Fascist or not, merely what IMO would likely characterise an American Fascism. Which as an ideology tends to morph quite a bit depending on the culture of a particular locale, given prior arguments such as ‘if it’s not Nazi Germany it’s not Fascist’

Would be happy to expand subsequently don’t quite have the time right now
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
LightSpectra
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3271 Posts
Last Edited: 2026-04-23 20:58:19
April 23 2026 20:54 GMT
#113719
Why don't we use Umberto Eco's 14 signs of fascism? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ur-Fascism#Overview

It's what the United States Holocaust Museum uses.
"don't try to pull a LightSpectra-Trumper"
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27459 Posts
April 23 2026 21:02 GMT
#113720
On April 24 2026 05:54 LightSpectra wrote:
Why don't we use Umberto Eco's 14 signs of fascism? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ur-Fascism#Overview

It's what the Holocaust Museum uses.

Trump 2.0 is hitting like 11 or 12 for me, a few I’m not sure about from Eco’s list.

Trump’s lot bloody love tech, especially the pointless shit, but really dislike anything coming from the social sciences, so I’m not sure how to score em on the rejection of modernity point.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Prev 1 5684 5685 5686 5687 5688 5994 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 783
actioN 681
BeSt 289
Killer 195
Mong 162
Dewaltoss 108
sorry 59
sSak 41
ZergMaN 36
Aegong 31
[ Show more ]
Bale 29
NotJumperer 23
yabsab 14
Noble 10
Counter-Strike
byalli673
Other Games
summit1g9641
olofmeister1021
Happy339
Sick199
crisheroes180
KnowMe106
Pyrionflax96
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick740
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos900
• Stunt438
Other Games
• WagamamaTV111
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h 2m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2h 2m
Monday Night Weeklies
7h 2m
Replay Cast
14h 2m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 2h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.