• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:21
CEST 06:21
KST 13:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7536 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 5053

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5051 5052 5053 5054 5055 5997 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46498 Posts
June 22 2025 23:00 GMT
#101041
On June 23 2025 07:45 LightSpectra wrote:
Yeah, that's my perspective. If we imagine a spectrum where positive values make the world better and negative values make the world worse, where Trump is -10 and Bernie Sanders is +10, and 0 is a hard maintenance or the status quo, then people like Clinton and Biden are still on the positive end of the spectrum. We could debate if they're closer to +9 or +1, but they certainly are way higher than every Republican would be. If someone refuses to vote for a +5 because they'll settle for nothing lower than +10 and thus passively allows the -10 to win, they're sabotaging their own interests.


This is generally my perspective as well, though of course I'd like a president to be as close to +10 as possible.

From conversations with other TLers, I've learned that not everyone believes the Democratic nominee is even on the "plus" side though, and/or that the lesser of two evils is not a persuasive enough argument for all, and/or that a few tiny "plus" presidencies still can't create enough momentum to balance out the very extreme "minus" presidencies (which can slowly shift the Overton window and/or general political power to the right - like how three straight +1 terms wouldn't be sufficient to beat/override one terrible -10 term).
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46498 Posts
June 22 2025 23:03 GMT
#101042
On June 23 2025 07:53 Zambrah wrote:
The anti-leftists here are as worth talking to as oBlade, fuck me Ive been talking to squirrels.


How do you decide/define who is anti-left?
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-22 23:11:29
June 22 2025 23:10 GMT
#101043
On June 23 2025 08:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2025 07:53 Zambrah wrote:
The anti-leftists here are as worth talking to as oBlade, fuck me Ive been talking to squirrels.


How do you decide/define who is anti-left?

This will vary person to person of course. Personally, it’s Luigi. Forgot his name, but the Harris VP guy speaking out against Luigi was the reason I officially left the party and have no plans to vote for democrats again. I’ll vote for the lesser evil if somehow Oregon is a close race. And I’m entirely open to them winning me back. But I also understand I’m just some random dude and it’s not like they need me.
LightSpectra
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3280 Posts
June 22 2025 23:27 GMT
#101044
What would you do if you found out Luigi was against bombing Iran?
"don't try to pull a LightSpectra-Trumper"
Billyboy
Profile Joined September 2024
2476 Posts
June 22 2025 23:27 GMT
#101045
I'm not sure that murdering someone in cold blood, no matter who they are is a left right thing. It is more a morality question. Naming oneself judge jury and executioner tends to rub some people from both sides wrong for a whole bunch of reasons.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46498 Posts
June 22 2025 23:37 GMT
#101046
On June 23 2025 08:10 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2025 08:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On June 23 2025 07:53 Zambrah wrote:
The anti-leftists here are as worth talking to as oBlade, fuck me Ive been talking to squirrels.


How do you decide/define who is anti-left?

This will vary person to person of course. Personally, it’s Luigi. Forgot his name, but the Harris VP guy speaking out against Luigi was the reason I officially left the party and have no plans to vote for democrats again. I’ll vote for the lesser evil if somehow Oregon is a close race. And I’m entirely open to them winning me back. But I also understand I’m just some random dude and it’s not like they need me.


Tim Walz was Harris's runningmate. Why was Walz speaking out against Luigi Mangione murdering Brian Thompson the reason why you left the party?
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-22 23:46:06
June 22 2025 23:37 GMT
#101047
On June 23 2025 08:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2025 07:53 Zambrah wrote:
The anti-leftists here are as worth talking to as oBlade, fuck me Ive been talking to squirrels.


How do you decide/define who is anti-left?

Quite a lot if we’re talking the left as socialism/socialism-adjacent, not very many if we’re talking left of the centre and outwards I suppose.

Depends where you’re initially standing. I mean for me being quite far left, I’d consider a lot of centrist thru centre left politics as acceptable but not ideal, thru antithetical to mine.

Anyway aye it can certainly be frustrating to be in that area of the left/right axis and kinda seeing the same shit over, and over, and over (and sometimes over) again. In my case for about 20 years since I really took a close interest in politics.

Centrist and liberal politics are pretty well catered for, if they’re your politics, there’s always rather a lot at the electoral banquet for you. Indeed, this is just the default.

If you’re on the left, you will be summoned to the electoral banquet at or shamed for not turning up, but you get there and sit down and there’s fuck all on your plate.

It’s the 1-2 punch that’s frustrating. You’re like Schrodinger’s leftist, important enough to be blamed for lost elections, not important enough to actually court your vote.

I do differ from my erstwhile ‘colleagues’ as it were in that I think my native UK, and even more so the US, most don’t share my politics. Appealing broadly and to the centre in general makes sense. It just reflects reality on many grounds.

But if you’re in a de facto two-party state, and part of your coalition are progressives, even if they’re merely a sizeable minority, you do need them on board as well.

Which is definitely an area for improvement from the Democratic Party.

Went a bit rambly as per. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to get frustrated if from one’s perspective you see the same mistakes made over and over.

As an aside, you might get something that scrapes over the electoral line, but rarely it seems, something that enthuses. Party A scrapes in, doesn’t govern disastrously, but nothing super sexy to hang their hat in. Come next election Party B wins because of incumbency fatigue, then the cycle repeats etc.

UK Labour are really feeling that pinch now. They actively purged the party of its left wing, previous leader, pivoted centre because of course you must do that to win elections. They’ve shed a fuckload of goodwill from their base, and have grabbed some votes from the centre, but voters that can flip on a dime again.

And it is, because yeah they got votes but folks aren’t particularly invested, and the first signs of trouble they’ll flip.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Zambrah
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States7393 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-22 23:46:10
June 22 2025 23:43 GMT
#101048
On June 23 2025 08:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2025 07:53 Zambrah wrote:
The anti-leftists here are as worth talking to as oBlade, fuck me Ive been talking to squirrels.


How do you decide/define who is anti-left?


At this point if someone does nothing but whine that the Democrats are just too far left and should just appeal to the right or centrists more than they already do then I’m labeling them an anti-leftist.

Doubly so when they strawman my positions by implying that I think that the list of things I think Democrats should do to win boils down to OnE sImPlE lIFe HaCk like I haven’t said numerous times it’s a hard complex road towards the kind of change I believe Democrats need.

They can’t even be bothered to read what I’m saying because they have a weird strawman leftist in their head that they staple on to everyone that isn’t a basic bitch Democrat.

I don’t give me time to right wing freaks because I don’t believe they engage in good faith, at this point I think that of the people I’m labeling anti-leftist here too.

This thread is a huge source of dismay for me, one positive event like Zohran, a sliver of hope in a dim world and I’m reminded that the Democrats and their base of supporters and allies are immovable, they do nothing wrong, just like the Republicans their only interest seems to be to kick to their left, but while Republicans laugh while they do it Democrats scowl and complain that the left doesn’t love them enough.
Incremental change is the Democrat version of Trickle Down economics.
Zambrah
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States7393 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-22 23:45:45
June 22 2025 23:45 GMT
#101049
Bathroom edit
Incremental change is the Democrat version of Trickle Down economics.
tankgirl
Profile Blog Joined May 2016
Canada535 Posts
June 22 2025 23:55 GMT
#101050
On June 22 2025 19:49 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2025 15:08 tankgirl wrote:
I never post here or even read the newspapers anymore but I couldnt escape the headlines.

I am not informed enough to have an opinion on this complex issue. But after 20+ years of Iran's shenanigan, I am just grateful we finally have a strong Commander in Chief.

On June 22 2025 12:37 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
In the same single tweet, Trump both bragged about dropping "a full payload of BOMBS" and shouted "NOW IS THE TIME FOR PEACE".


Don't need Twitter to be reminded that's what our president is doing. Someone graciously printed it on the backs of our one-dollar bill, which we exchange with our hands daily:

+ Show Spoiler [imgur] +
[image loading]



First of all, “E pluribus unum” has nothing to do with hypocritically bombing Iran while asking for peace.


You're right. I guess the giant eagle with an olive branch and quiver of arrows flew over your head.
https://tl.net/forum/brood-war/627255-progamer-settings
TL+ Member
LightSpectra
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3280 Posts
June 23 2025 00:24 GMT
#101051
U.S. Officials Concede They Don’t Know Whereabouts of Iran’s Uranium Stockpile

"Rafael Mariano Grossi, the director of general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, said he believed Tehran’s stockpile of near-bomb-grade nuclear material had been moved before the strikes."
"don't try to pull a LightSpectra-Trumper"
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46498 Posts
June 23 2025 00:33 GMT
#101052
On June 23 2025 08:55 tankgirl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2025 19:49 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On June 22 2025 15:08 tankgirl wrote:
I never post here or even read the newspapers anymore but I couldnt escape the headlines.

I am not informed enough to have an opinion on this complex issue. But after 20+ years of Iran's shenanigan, I am just grateful we finally have a strong Commander in Chief.

On June 22 2025 12:37 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
In the same single tweet, Trump both bragged about dropping "a full payload of BOMBS" and shouted "NOW IS THE TIME FOR PEACE".


Don't need Twitter to be reminded that's what our president is doing. Someone graciously printed it on the backs of our one-dollar bill, which we exchange with our hands daily:

+ Show Spoiler [imgur] +
[image loading]



First of all, “E pluribus unum” has nothing to do with hypocritically bombing Iran while asking for peace.


You're right. I guess the giant eagle with an olive branch and quiver of arrows flew over your head.


When you quote mine me by deleting most of my post and then respond with a quip instead of a substantive reply, it doesn't give me much confidence that you're capable of having an actual conversation. Best of luck on post #3 in this thread.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46498 Posts
June 23 2025 00:38 GMT
#101053
On June 23 2025 09:24 LightSpectra wrote:
U.S. Officials Concede They Don’t Know Whereabouts of Iran’s Uranium Stockpile

"Rafael Mariano Grossi, the director of general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, said he believed Tehran’s stockpile of near-bomb-grade nuclear material had been moved before the strikes."


It's looking more and more analogous to the tragically ironic "Mission Accomplished" GWB sign/speech. Trump is playing whack-a-mole with his expected level of ignorance and apathy.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Billyboy
Profile Joined September 2024
2476 Posts
June 23 2025 00:47 GMT
#101054
If they did not get it, they will get another shot. Mossad seemingly knows more about Iran than the IRGC, the number of ultra high level targets they took out so quickly is pretty unheard of.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46498 Posts
June 23 2025 00:59 GMT
#101055
On June 23 2025 08:37 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2025 08:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On June 23 2025 07:53 Zambrah wrote:
The anti-leftists here are as worth talking to as oBlade, fuck me Ive been talking to squirrels.


How do you decide/define who is anti-left?

Quite a lot if we’re talking the left as socialism/socialism-adjacent, not very many if we’re talking left of the centre and outwards I suppose.

Depends where you’re initially standing. I mean for me being quite far left, I’d consider a lot of centrist thru centre left politics as acceptable but not ideal, thru antithetical to mine.

Anyway aye it can certainly be frustrating to be in that area of the left/right axis and kinda seeing the same shit over, and over, and over (and sometimes over) again. In my case for about 20 years since I really took a close interest in politics.

Centrist and liberal politics are pretty well catered for, if they’re your politics, there’s always rather a lot at the electoral banquet for you. Indeed, this is just the default.

If you’re on the left, you will be summoned to the electoral banquet at or shamed for not turning up, but you get there and sit down and there’s fuck all on your plate.

It’s the 1-2 punch that’s frustrating. You’re like Schrodinger’s leftist, important enough to be blamed for lost elections, not important enough to actually court your vote.

I do differ from my erstwhile ‘colleagues’ as it were in that I think my native UK, and even more so the US, most don’t share my politics. Appealing broadly and to the centre in general makes sense. It just reflects reality on many grounds.

But if you’re in a de facto two-party state, and part of your coalition are progressives, even if they’re merely a sizeable minority, you do need them on board as well.

Which is definitely an area for improvement from the Democratic Party.

Went a bit rambly as per. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to get frustrated if from one’s perspective you see the same mistakes made over and over.

As an aside, you might get something that scrapes over the electoral line, but rarely it seems, something that enthuses. Party A scrapes in, doesn’t govern disastrously, but nothing super sexy to hang their hat in. Come next election Party B wins because of incumbency fatigue, then the cycle repeats etc.

UK Labour are really feeling that pinch now. They actively purged the party of its left wing, previous leader, pivoted centre because of course you must do that to win elections. They’ve shed a fuckload of goodwill from their base, and have grabbed some votes from the centre, but voters that can flip on a dime again.

And it is, because yeah they got votes but folks aren’t particularly invested, and the first signs of trouble they’ll flip.


Well said, especially about "Schrodinger’s leftist". Even if I don't mind compromising with only smaller, incremental improvements, because I may be to the left of where most Democratic voters are, I can see how others would feel disenfranchised and sleighted by the idea of "maybe we'll eventually get to where you want the country to be in a few terms, if the Dems win all the presidencies and always hold a Congressional majority in both houses". Some change can't wait.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
June 23 2025 01:13 GMT
#101056
On June 23 2025 09:47 Billyboy wrote:
If they did not get it, they will get another shot. Mossad seemingly knows more about Iran than the IRGC, the number of ultra high level targets they took out so quickly is pretty unheard of.

The more likely event is that they're going to split up the material and put it in as many sites as possible.

You don't need a lot of it to put on a missle and create a dirty bomb to lauch at an American military base or into Isreal.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46498 Posts
June 23 2025 01:18 GMT
#101057
On June 23 2025 08:43 Zambrah wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2025 08:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On June 23 2025 07:53 Zambrah wrote:
The anti-leftists here are as worth talking to as oBlade, fuck me Ive been talking to squirrels.


How do you decide/define who is anti-left?


At this point if someone does nothing but whine that the Democrats are just too far left and should just appeal to the right or centrists more than they already do then I’m labeling them an anti-leftist.

Doubly so when they strawman my positions by implying that I think that the list of things I think Democrats should do to win boils down to OnE sImPlE lIFe HaCk like I haven’t said numerous times it’s a hard complex road towards the kind of change I believe Democrats need.

They can’t even be bothered to read what I’m saying because they have a weird strawman leftist in their head that they staple on to everyone that isn’t a basic bitch Democrat.

I don’t give me time to right wing freaks because I don’t believe they engage in good faith, at this point I think that of the people I’m labeling anti-leftist here too.

This thread is a huge source of dismay for me, one positive event like Zohran, a sliver of hope in a dim world and I’m reminded that the Democrats and their base of supporters and allies are immovable, they do nothing wrong, just like the Republicans their only interest seems to be to kick to their left, but while Republicans laugh while they do it Democrats scowl and complain that the left doesn’t love them enough.


Understood; I see that explanation is purposeful and intended for specific posters lol.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
June 23 2025 01:50 GMT
#101058
On June 23 2025 09:59 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2025 08:37 WombaT wrote:
On June 23 2025 08:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On June 23 2025 07:53 Zambrah wrote:
The anti-leftists here are as worth talking to as oBlade, fuck me Ive been talking to squirrels.


How do you decide/define who is anti-left?

Quite a lot if we’re talking the left as socialism/socialism-adjacent, not very many if we’re talking left of the centre and outwards I suppose.

Depends where you’re initially standing. I mean for me being quite far left, I’d consider a lot of centrist thru centre left politics as acceptable but not ideal, thru antithetical to mine.

Anyway aye it can certainly be frustrating to be in that area of the left/right axis and kinda seeing the same shit over, and over, and over (and sometimes over) again. In my case for about 20 years since I really took a close interest in politics.

Centrist and liberal politics are pretty well catered for, if they’re your politics, there’s always rather a lot at the electoral banquet for you. Indeed, this is just the default.

If you’re on the left, you will be summoned to the electoral banquet at or shamed for not turning up, but you get there and sit down and there’s fuck all on your plate.

It’s the 1-2 punch that’s frustrating. You’re like Schrodinger’s leftist, important enough to be blamed for lost elections, not important enough to actually court your vote.

I do differ from my erstwhile ‘colleagues’ as it were in that I think my native UK, and even more so the US, most don’t share my politics. Appealing broadly and to the centre in general makes sense. It just reflects reality on many grounds.

But if you’re in a de facto two-party state, and part of your coalition are progressives, even if they’re merely a sizeable minority, you do need them on board as well.

Which is definitely an area for improvement from the Democratic Party.

Went a bit rambly as per. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to get frustrated if from one’s perspective you see the same mistakes made over and over.

As an aside, you might get something that scrapes over the electoral line, but rarely it seems, something that enthuses. Party A scrapes in, doesn’t govern disastrously, but nothing super sexy to hang their hat in. Come next election Party B wins because of incumbency fatigue, then the cycle repeats etc.

UK Labour are really feeling that pinch now. They actively purged the party of its left wing, previous leader, pivoted centre because of course you must do that to win elections. They’ve shed a fuckload of goodwill from their base, and have grabbed some votes from the centre, but voters that can flip on a dime again.

And it is, because yeah they got votes but folks aren’t particularly invested, and the first signs of trouble they’ll flip.


Well said, especially about "Schrodinger’s leftist". Even if I don't mind compromising with only smaller, incremental improvements, because I may be to the left of where most Democratic voters are, I can see how others would feel disenfranchised and sleighted by the idea of "maybe we'll eventually get to where you want the country to be in a few terms, if the Dems win all the presidencies and always hold a Congressional majority in both houses". Some change can't wait.

In some areas, you do need to actually deliver incremental improvement. People would be placated by that.

If things are actively getting worse in a particular area, especially a big important one, it doesn’t exactly super enthuse.

This isn’t really on the Dems, if there’s an equivalent-ish Western nation where the cost of housing is outstripping inflation, real adjusted wage increases, sometimes considerably, I’ve yet to see it. Perhaps there is such an example, but regardless I don’t think this is a unique failing of the Dems.

The problem here comes from diametrically opposed incentives. Those with property want it to rise in value, those without, do not.

Maybe we’re not quite at the tipping point yet, but at some point, the have-nots are gonna outweigh the haves, and be pretty pissed about it. And when we’re way across that line, whoever even vaguely fixes it is a lock.

Healthcare we’re seemingly in stasis since Obamacare, it’s perhaps not an easy political win, but it should be doable. The US in terms of state spending per capita alone spends about as much as the UK and other comparable states with universal healthcare. And the same again in private industry. And denial of care still happens, cost cutting still happens (and contributes to things like an opioid crisis that simply isn’t thing elsewhere), medical bankruptcies still happen.

If you can’t make political hay out of that, you’re either incompetent, or you’ve vested interests in not making it happen.

There were, also to be fair a lot of things in the Biden Presidency and subsequently the Biden/Harris candidacy I did like. But some of it felt like a really gorgeous garnish. Absolutely, great to have but if you’re neglecting the quality of the main meal it only goes so far.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
LightSpectra
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3280 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-23 01:54:41
June 23 2025 01:52 GMT
#101059
I'm not even denying anything you're saying above. All I've been saying is that your political platform is utterly worthless if it doesn't win elections, and winning elections requires getting independents to vote for you, and most independents aren't secret progressives waiting for true love's kiss to make them politically active.

People aren't voting for folks like Cuomo because they're stupid, they clearly feel like moderate liberalism is giving them something that progressivism isn't. What is it and why?
"don't try to pull a LightSpectra-Trumper"
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
June 23 2025 02:33 GMT
#101060
On June 23 2025 10:52 LightSpectra wrote:
I'm not even denying anything you're saying above. All I've been saying is that your political platform is utterly worthless if it doesn't win elections, and winning elections requires getting independents to vote for you, and most independents aren't secret progressives waiting for true love's kiss to make them politically active.

People aren't voting for folks like Cuomo because they're stupid, they clearly feel like moderate liberalism is giving them something that progressivism isn't. What is it and why?

Donald Trump is a 2x President so there is that.

The Democrats managed to lose 2016 to a Trump that wasn’t yet normalised. That dam was subsequently busted so I think that made it more difficult after the breakthrough.

They then lost to Trump again. They’re not exactly crushing it in the legislature either.

The current strategy isn’t doing super well in winning elections. I think in part because to appeal to a hypothetical independent who might countenance Trumpism, or a centrist Democrat, you have to push the envelope too far right and you lose the left.

It’s the old problem, it’s a cold night, your duvet is too short to cover you sufficiently. Pull it up and your feet get cold, push it down and your top half is getting chilly. Try to grab the mystical swing voters and you piss the left off.

I think it’s a pretty centrist country, run on that absolutely. Just throw some bones to the progressives.

Especially when the progressive positions are actually broadly popular, or indeed sometimes bipartisan.

The Democratic Party hates easy wins for, some unknown reason. You can run from the centre, and give someone like Bernie Sanders prominence in an area he’s strong on.

I’m absolutely not saying you do that and you cake every important election. It may be worth a shot though. And you can’t really assess its viability until it’s been tried and failed.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Prev 1 5051 5052 5053 5054 5055 5997 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft477
RuFF_SC2 208
Nina 98
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2990
GuemChi 912
Leta 126
Terrorterran 81
Bale 42
NaDa 33
Noble 11
Snow 6
Dota 2
febbydoto9
League of Legends
JimRising 600
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox665
Mew2King59
Other Games
summit1g7419
C9.Mang0281
ViBE92
Trikslyr37
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick730
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 100
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki12
• Pr0nogo 9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota293
League of Legends
• Lourlo1152
• Stunt314
Other Games
• Shiphtur535
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
11h 39m
The PondCast
1d 5h
INu's Battles
1d 6h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 17h
Replay Cast
1d 18h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.