• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:11
CEST 16:11
KST 23:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8857 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 2647

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2645 2646 2647 2648 2649 5991 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46476 Posts
September 19 2020 14:54 GMT
#52921
On September 19 2020 23:26 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2020 11:21 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 10:40 JimmiC wrote:
How many Republican Senators who would be at risk would be willing to sacrifice themselves to put through a justice? While I think Introvert brings a interesting perspective that not filling it might be motivating to both sides in different ways, pushing one through would almost certainly motivate Dem voters more than the Reps.


I was actually under the opposite impression: Republicans have the opportunity to potentially push through another SCJ that has conservative views, so if one of their own stands in their way, they would be sacrificing themselves to do the right thing.

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm saying that if someone is at risk if they make that vote they up there chances of losing, and the Republicans can't really "force" them. I'm not sure how many politicians from either party would be willing to make a moralistic stand this close to a highly contested election.

Also some conservatives would think it was doing the right thing others that value fairness and process would be the Alaskan senator and might have actually believed in the reason that they blocked Obama for.

I'm not saying many or any are moralistic just that there can be cases made for both depending on what matters to them most.


You asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions just to push through another SCJ; I asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions to *not* push through another SCJ.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
September 19 2020 15:05 GMT
#52922
--- Nuked ---
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
September 19 2020 15:13 GMT
#52923
My bet is that they won't have enough votes to confirm before the inauguration. Murkowski and Collins are already out.
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
September 19 2020 15:16 GMT
#52924
Those are the two they always give a free pass to. The only one who can get away with it besides them is Romney, and I'm not sure he'll do it.
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
September 19 2020 15:22 GMT
#52925
--- Nuked ---
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46476 Posts
September 19 2020 15:46 GMT
#52926
On September 20 2020 00:05 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2020 23:54 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:26 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 11:21 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 10:40 JimmiC wrote:
How many Republican Senators who would be at risk would be willing to sacrifice themselves to put through a justice? While I think Introvert brings a interesting perspective that not filling it might be motivating to both sides in different ways, pushing one through would almost certainly motivate Dem voters more than the Reps.


I was actually under the opposite impression: Republicans have the opportunity to potentially push through another SCJ that has conservative views, so if one of their own stands in their way, they would be sacrificing themselves to do the right thing.

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm saying that if someone is at risk if they make that vote they up there chances of losing, and the Republicans can't really "force" them. I'm not sure how many politicians from either party would be willing to make a moralistic stand this close to a highly contested election.

Also some conservatives would think it was doing the right thing others that value fairness and process would be the Alaskan senator and might have actually believed in the reason that they blocked Obama for.

I'm not saying many or any are moralistic just that there can be cases made for both depending on what matters to them most.


You asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions just to push through another SCJ; I asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions to *not* push through another SCJ.

I don't think any, if they are in a battle ground state I think it being open is much more motivating for Rep voters then them knowing it is done. And I think pushing one through pisses off Dems and encourages them to vote more. Pushing it through seems like a falling on the sword to get the SJC locked in kind of move.


I hope you're right
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44325 Posts
September 19 2020 15:54 GMT
#52927
On September 20 2020 00:46 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2020 00:05 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:54 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:26 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 11:21 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 10:40 JimmiC wrote:
How many Republican Senators who would be at risk would be willing to sacrifice themselves to put through a justice? While I think Introvert brings a interesting perspective that not filling it might be motivating to both sides in different ways, pushing one through would almost certainly motivate Dem voters more than the Reps.


I was actually under the opposite impression: Republicans have the opportunity to potentially push through another SCJ that has conservative views, so if one of their own stands in their way, they would be sacrificing themselves to do the right thing.

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm saying that if someone is at risk if they make that vote they up there chances of losing, and the Republicans can't really "force" them. I'm not sure how many politicians from either party would be willing to make a moralistic stand this close to a highly contested election.

Also some conservatives would think it was doing the right thing others that value fairness and process would be the Alaskan senator and might have actually believed in the reason that they blocked Obama for.

I'm not saying many or any are moralistic just that there can be cases made for both depending on what matters to them most.


You asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions just to push through another SCJ; I asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions to *not* push through another SCJ.

I don't think any, if they are in a battle ground state I think it being open is much more motivating for Rep voters then them knowing it is done. And I think pushing one through pisses off Dems and encourages them to vote more. Pushing it through seems like a falling on the sword to get the SJC locked in kind of move.


I hope you're right

There is nothing stopping them losing the election and filling the seat during a lame duck session.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
PhoenixVoid
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Canada32755 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-19 16:01:02
September 19 2020 15:59 GMT
#52928
I have yet to see a confirmed no from a Republican senator besides some interviews on a hypothetical situation. Even if (big ifs) Murkowski and Collins reject it, and manage to get Romney on board (another big if) as the McCain-esque principled vote like the skinny repeal vote, it's still short one. I wouldn't put my faith in Grassley or Graham, who have signalled in the past that they wouldn't vote on a SCJ on an election year, to be consistent.

Besides, these questions are usually framed as before an election, but after Nov. 3 they could still push forward with the vote during the lame duck period in case of a Biden presidency and not have lied. There's some wringing over Kelly likely taking Arizona's senate seat in the special election and potentially being there to save the SC seat by Nov. 30, but I'd consider this a lost seat effectively if you're banking on several miracles to save you.

Interestingly there's some bipartisan interest in holding hearings for a SCJ. "Sixty-seven percent of Americans said in a Marquette University poll released Saturday that hearings should be held...Results did not significantly vary along party lines, with 71 percent of independents, 68 percent of Republicans and 63 percent of Democrats saying confirmation hearings should be held." Though I expect the Democratic interest to crater after RBG's passing.

Both Republicans and Democrats take the seat seriously, "with 89 percent of Biden backers saying it was “very” or “somewhat” important and 85 percent of Trump supporters saying the same". High quality polling on a national level and for three swing states shows that Biden is more favoured on nominating a justice. [Source]

"In a New York Times/Siena College survey released hours before the news of Ginsburg's death, voters in Maine, North Carolina and Arizona said they preferred Biden to select the next Supreme Court justice by 12 percentage points. Biden received 53 percent of voters' support, compared to President Donald Trump's 41 percent." (Note how those three are also holding Senate races that are currently favoured slightly Democratic, except in Arizona where it seems almost guaranteed Kelly wins for now. NC and AZ are swing states that are leaning slightly Democratic as well.)

"A Fox News poll released September 13 found that likely voters nationwide favored Biden over Trump when it comes to Supreme Court nominations, with Biden leading by seven percentage points." [Source]

It's a change of pace from Biden seeking to frame the election around Trump's COVID failures, and Trump defending conservative values, the economy and preserving law and order. Not sure if it means a whole lot if RBG's seat gets a Trump nominee anyways, but I'd bet it's animating Democrats or anyone regretting staying home or voting third party in 2016 and are agonized at seeing two or probably three SCJs go Trump's way. There will be pressure on a potential President Biden to pack the courts, but unless he's possessed by the ghost of FDR, I think he'll have to live with a 6-3 conservative SC.
I'm afraid of demented knife-wielding escaped lunatic libertarian zombie mutants
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
September 19 2020 16:07 GMT
#52929
--- Nuked ---
TheTenthDoc
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States9561 Posts
September 19 2020 16:10 GMT
#52930
On September 20 2020 00:54 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2020 00:46 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:05 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:54 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:26 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 11:21 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 10:40 JimmiC wrote:
How many Republican Senators who would be at risk would be willing to sacrifice themselves to put through a justice? While I think Introvert brings a interesting perspective that not filling it might be motivating to both sides in different ways, pushing one through would almost certainly motivate Dem voters more than the Reps.


I was actually under the opposite impression: Republicans have the opportunity to potentially push through another SCJ that has conservative views, so if one of their own stands in their way, they would be sacrificing themselves to do the right thing.

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm saying that if someone is at risk if they make that vote they up there chances of losing, and the Republicans can't really "force" them. I'm not sure how many politicians from either party would be willing to make a moralistic stand this close to a highly contested election.

Also some conservatives would think it was doing the right thing others that value fairness and process would be the Alaskan senator and might have actually believed in the reason that they blocked Obama for.

I'm not saying many or any are moralistic just that there can be cases made for both depending on what matters to them most.


You asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions just to push through another SCJ; I asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions to *not* push through another SCJ.

I don't think any, if they are in a battle ground state I think it being open is much more motivating for Rep voters then them knowing it is done. And I think pushing one through pisses off Dems and encourages them to vote more. Pushing it through seems like a falling on the sword to get the SJC locked in kind of move.


I hope you're right

There is nothing stopping them losing the election and filling the seat during a lame duck session.


Honestly this seems more plausible to me. Leave it open in the hopes of energizing voters, lose the election and the Senate, and then move forward even after the people have spoken. McConnell certainly wouldn't mind, and if Collins loses I don't think she'll give a crap either.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46476 Posts
September 19 2020 16:10 GMT
#52931
On September 20 2020 00:54 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2020 00:46 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:05 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:54 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:26 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 11:21 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 10:40 JimmiC wrote:
How many Republican Senators who would be at risk would be willing to sacrifice themselves to put through a justice? While I think Introvert brings a interesting perspective that not filling it might be motivating to both sides in different ways, pushing one through would almost certainly motivate Dem voters more than the Reps.


I was actually under the opposite impression: Republicans have the opportunity to potentially push through another SCJ that has conservative views, so if one of their own stands in their way, they would be sacrificing themselves to do the right thing.

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm saying that if someone is at risk if they make that vote they up there chances of losing, and the Republicans can't really "force" them. I'm not sure how many politicians from either party would be willing to make a moralistic stand this close to a highly contested election.

Also some conservatives would think it was doing the right thing others that value fairness and process would be the Alaskan senator and might have actually believed in the reason that they blocked Obama for.

I'm not saying many or any are moralistic just that there can be cases made for both depending on what matters to them most.


You asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions just to push through another SCJ; I asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions to *not* push through another SCJ.

I don't think any, if they are in a battle ground state I think it being open is much more motivating for Rep voters then them knowing it is done. And I think pushing one through pisses off Dems and encourages them to vote more. Pushing it through seems like a falling on the sword to get the SJC locked in kind of move.


I hope you're right

There is nothing stopping them losing the election and filling the seat during a lame duck session.


Oh, between November and January, after all the Republican senators have won their seats again and regardless of whether or not Trump wins? That's a good point.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-19 16:15:18
September 19 2020 16:14 GMT
#52932
On September 20 2020 01:07 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2020 00:54 KwarK wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:46 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:05 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:54 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:26 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 11:21 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 10:40 JimmiC wrote:
How many Republican Senators who would be at risk would be willing to sacrifice themselves to put through a justice? While I think Introvert brings a interesting perspective that not filling it might be motivating to both sides in different ways, pushing one through would almost certainly motivate Dem voters more than the Reps.


I was actually under the opposite impression: Republicans have the opportunity to potentially push through another SCJ that has conservative views, so if one of their own stands in their way, they would be sacrificing themselves to do the right thing.

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm saying that if someone is at risk if they make that vote they up there chances of losing, and the Republicans can't really "force" them. I'm not sure how many politicians from either party would be willing to make a moralistic stand this close to a highly contested election.

Also some conservatives would think it was doing the right thing others that value fairness and process would be the Alaskan senator and might have actually believed in the reason that they blocked Obama for.

I'm not saying many or any are moralistic just that there can be cases made for both depending on what matters to them most.


You asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions just to push through another SCJ; I asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions to *not* push through another SCJ.

I don't think any, if they are in a battle ground state I think it being open is much more motivating for Rep voters then them knowing it is done. And I think pushing one through pisses off Dems and encourages them to vote more. Pushing it through seems like a falling on the sword to get the SJC locked in kind of move.


I hope you're right

There is nothing stopping them losing the election and filling the seat during a lame duck session.

Would the fear of the Dems packing the court be enough?

No.
Three reasons.
1. They are counting on dems to behave like they have in the past, and roll over on their backs and showing their bellies instead of doing anything.
2. Mcconnell reminds me a lot of Putin, both are tactically very good but not amazing at strategy. They'll do anything for a short term benefit, regardless of any long term downsides. If Trump ever loses power, then Putin's strategies in 2016 and poisoning in western countries may come back to bite him so hard - think of how many sanctions aren't being enforced by Trump, and how much worse it can get for Russia economically.
3. The fact that it would piss off the dems more than possibly anything else is a massive upside for them with their base.

If you predict the current GOP doing the move that will piss off democrats the most and has the most future possible downsides, it's usually what they'll do.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24367 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-19 16:22:45
September 19 2020 16:19 GMT
#52933
On September 20 2020 01:10 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2020 00:54 KwarK wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:46 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:05 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:54 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:26 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 11:21 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 10:40 JimmiC wrote:
How many Republican Senators who would be at risk would be willing to sacrifice themselves to put through a justice? While I think Introvert brings a interesting perspective that not filling it might be motivating to both sides in different ways, pushing one through would almost certainly motivate Dem voters more than the Reps.


I was actually under the opposite impression: Republicans have the opportunity to potentially push through another SCJ that has conservative views, so if one of their own stands in their way, they would be sacrificing themselves to do the right thing.

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm saying that if someone is at risk if they make that vote they up there chances of losing, and the Republicans can't really "force" them. I'm not sure how many politicians from either party would be willing to make a moralistic stand this close to a highly contested election.

Also some conservatives would think it was doing the right thing others that value fairness and process would be the Alaskan senator and might have actually believed in the reason that they blocked Obama for.

I'm not saying many or any are moralistic just that there can be cases made for both depending on what matters to them most.


You asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions just to push through another SCJ; I asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions to *not* push through another SCJ.

I don't think any, if they are in a battle ground state I think it being open is much more motivating for Rep voters then them knowing it is done. And I think pushing one through pisses off Dems and encourages them to vote more. Pushing it through seems like a falling on the sword to get the SJC locked in kind of move.


I hope you're right

There is nothing stopping them losing the election and filling the seat during a lame duck session.


Oh, between November and January, after all the Republican senators have won their seats again and regardless of whether or not Trump wins? That's a good point.


No real price either in that no one will remember until the next SC nomination which won't be for a while unless Trump wins and talks Thomas into retiring and/or Breyer goes (under either admin).

It's not entirely improbable Republicans could take a ~7-2 advantage in the Supreme court they would hold for decades (it would wane over time, but the adv lasts decades).
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46476 Posts
September 19 2020 17:02 GMT
#52934
On September 20 2020 01:19 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2020 01:10 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:54 KwarK wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:46 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:05 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:54 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:26 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 11:21 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 10:40 JimmiC wrote:
How many Republican Senators who would be at risk would be willing to sacrifice themselves to put through a justice? While I think Introvert brings a interesting perspective that not filling it might be motivating to both sides in different ways, pushing one through would almost certainly motivate Dem voters more than the Reps.


I was actually under the opposite impression: Republicans have the opportunity to potentially push through another SCJ that has conservative views, so if one of their own stands in their way, they would be sacrificing themselves to do the right thing.

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm saying that if someone is at risk if they make that vote they up there chances of losing, and the Republicans can't really "force" them. I'm not sure how many politicians from either party would be willing to make a moralistic stand this close to a highly contested election.

Also some conservatives would think it was doing the right thing others that value fairness and process would be the Alaskan senator and might have actually believed in the reason that they blocked Obama for.

I'm not saying many or any are moralistic just that there can be cases made for both depending on what matters to them most.


You asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions just to push through another SCJ; I asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions to *not* push through another SCJ.

I don't think any, if they are in a battle ground state I think it being open is much more motivating for Rep voters then them knowing it is done. And I think pushing one through pisses off Dems and encourages them to vote more. Pushing it through seems like a falling on the sword to get the SJC locked in kind of move.


I hope you're right

There is nothing stopping them losing the election and filling the seat during a lame duck session.


Oh, between November and January, after all the Republican senators have won their seats again and regardless of whether or not Trump wins? That's a good point.


No real price either in that no one will remember until the next SC nomination which won't be for a while unless Trump wins and talks Thomas into retiring and/or Breyer goes (under either admin).

It's not entirely improbable Republicans could take a ~7-2 advantage in the Supreme court they would hold for decades (it would wane over time, but the adv lasts decades).


Agreed. For this upcoming SCJ spot, isn't there a way that Democratic senators can filibuster and force discussions to perpetuate without a 60+ majority vote (to end discussions and to finally decide to accept the appointment or not, which would lead to the 50+ majority victory)? I feel like there's some sort of fine print that the minority of Democratic senators can still try to exploit in prolonging the process, if they had the courage to actually do it.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
September 19 2020 17:05 GMT
#52935
--- Nuked ---
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
September 19 2020 17:07 GMT
#52936
On September 20 2020 02:05 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2020 01:14 Nevuk wrote:
On September 20 2020 01:07 JimmiC wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:54 KwarK wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:46 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:05 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:54 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:26 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 11:21 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 10:40 JimmiC wrote:
How many Republican Senators who would be at risk would be willing to sacrifice themselves to put through a justice? While I think Introvert brings a interesting perspective that not filling it might be motivating to both sides in different ways, pushing one through would almost certainly motivate Dem voters more than the Reps.


I was actually under the opposite impression: Republicans have the opportunity to potentially push through another SCJ that has conservative views, so if one of their own stands in their way, they would be sacrificing themselves to do the right thing.

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm saying that if someone is at risk if they make that vote they up there chances of losing, and the Republicans can't really "force" them. I'm not sure how many politicians from either party would be willing to make a moralistic stand this close to a highly contested election.

Also some conservatives would think it was doing the right thing others that value fairness and process would be the Alaskan senator and might have actually believed in the reason that they blocked Obama for.

I'm not saying many or any are moralistic just that there can be cases made for both depending on what matters to them most.


You asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions just to push through another SCJ; I asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions to *not* push through another SCJ.

I don't think any, if they are in a battle ground state I think it being open is much more motivating for Rep voters then them knowing it is done. And I think pushing one through pisses off Dems and encourages them to vote more. Pushing it through seems like a falling on the sword to get the SJC locked in kind of move.


I hope you're right

There is nothing stopping them losing the election and filling the seat during a lame duck session.

Would the fear of the Dems packing the court be enough?

No.
Three reasons.
1. They are counting on dems to behave like they have in the past, and roll over on their backs and showing their bellies instead of doing anything.
2. Mcconnell reminds me a lot of Putin, both are tactically very good but not amazing at strategy. They'll do anything for a short term benefit, regardless of any long term downsides. If Trump ever loses power, then Putin's strategies in 2016 and poisoning in western countries may come back to bite him so hard - think of how many sanctions aren't being enforced by Trump, and how much worse it can get for Russia economically.
3. The fact that it would piss off the dems more than possibly anything else is a massive upside for them with their base.

If you predict the current GOP doing the move that will piss off democrats the most and has the most future possible downsides, it's usually what they'll do.

I would think the lame duck push through would be what it would take for the Dems to take the nuclear option but I get your points.

I also think that, but it's totally understandable to me why McConnell thinks it's just a bluff.
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
September 19 2020 17:16 GMT
#52937
--- Nuked ---
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
September 19 2020 17:21 GMT
#52938
On September 20 2020 02:16 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2020 02:07 Nevuk wrote:
On September 20 2020 02:05 JimmiC wrote:
On September 20 2020 01:14 Nevuk wrote:
On September 20 2020 01:07 JimmiC wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:54 KwarK wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:46 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:05 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:54 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:26 JimmiC wrote:
[quote]
I'm not sure what you mean? I'm saying that if someone is at risk if they make that vote they up there chances of losing, and the Republicans can't really "force" them. I'm not sure how many politicians from either party would be willing to make a moralistic stand this close to a highly contested election.

Also some conservatives would think it was doing the right thing others that value fairness and process would be the Alaskan senator and might have actually believed in the reason that they blocked Obama for.

I'm not saying many or any are moralistic just that there can be cases made for both depending on what matters to them most.


You asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions just to push through another SCJ; I asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions to *not* push through another SCJ.

I don't think any, if they are in a battle ground state I think it being open is much more motivating for Rep voters then them knowing it is done. And I think pushing one through pisses off Dems and encourages them to vote more. Pushing it through seems like a falling on the sword to get the SJC locked in kind of move.


I hope you're right

There is nothing stopping them losing the election and filling the seat during a lame duck session.

Would the fear of the Dems packing the court be enough?

No.
Three reasons.
1. They are counting on dems to behave like they have in the past, and roll over on their backs and showing their bellies instead of doing anything.
2. Mcconnell reminds me a lot of Putin, both are tactically very good but not amazing at strategy. They'll do anything for a short term benefit, regardless of any long term downsides. If Trump ever loses power, then Putin's strategies in 2016 and poisoning in western countries may come back to bite him so hard - think of how many sanctions aren't being enforced by Trump, and how much worse it can get for Russia economically.
3. The fact that it would piss off the dems more than possibly anything else is a massive upside for them with their base.

If you predict the current GOP doing the move that will piss off democrats the most and has the most future possible downsides, it's usually what they'll do.

I would think the lame duck push through would be what it would take for the Dems to take the nuclear option but I get your points.

I also think that, but it's totally understandable to me why McConnell thinks it's just a bluff.

I have a American acquaintance who voted Trump with his reasoning being that American politics was so cancerous that you needed to elect a poison to show how rotten it was and start to actually fix things. If a blue wave happens and there is enough pressure to actually change and fix things he might have been right and I would have to eat some crow.

This is going to be one of the most interesting and intense elections of my lifetime because there is actually a very dramatic difference between the candidates and the parties. And there is way more people passionately pissed off. There seems to be so much dry tinder and a whole bunch of sparks. This could go so many dramatically different ways. Many of them frightening.

I think the fact that we went through 4 years of Trump and will end up with, at best, Biden, shows that his reasoning was incredibly naive. It's MANA(Make America Normal Again) all the way down.
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
September 19 2020 17:27 GMT
#52939
--- Nuked ---
Kyadytim
Profile Joined March 2009
United States886 Posts
September 19 2020 17:29 GMT
#52940
On September 20 2020 02:16 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2020 02:07 Nevuk wrote:
On September 20 2020 02:05 JimmiC wrote:
On September 20 2020 01:14 Nevuk wrote:
On September 20 2020 01:07 JimmiC wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:54 KwarK wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:46 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 20 2020 00:05 JimmiC wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:54 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On September 19 2020 23:26 JimmiC wrote:
[quote]
I'm not sure what you mean? I'm saying that if someone is at risk if they make that vote they up there chances of losing, and the Republicans can't really "force" them. I'm not sure how many politicians from either party would be willing to make a moralistic stand this close to a highly contested election.

Also some conservatives would think it was doing the right thing others that value fairness and process would be the Alaskan senator and might have actually believed in the reason that they blocked Obama for.

I'm not saying many or any are moralistic just that there can be cases made for both depending on what matters to them most.


You asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions just to push through another SCJ; I asked how many Republican senators would be risking their positions to *not* push through another SCJ.

I don't think any, if they are in a battle ground state I think it being open is much more motivating for Rep voters then them knowing it is done. And I think pushing one through pisses off Dems and encourages them to vote more. Pushing it through seems like a falling on the sword to get the SJC locked in kind of move.


I hope you're right

There is nothing stopping them losing the election and filling the seat during a lame duck session.

Would the fear of the Dems packing the court be enough?

No.
Three reasons.
1. They are counting on dems to behave like they have in the past, and roll over on their backs and showing their bellies instead of doing anything.
2. Mcconnell reminds me a lot of Putin, both are tactically very good but not amazing at strategy. They'll do anything for a short term benefit, regardless of any long term downsides. If Trump ever loses power, then Putin's strategies in 2016 and poisoning in western countries may come back to bite him so hard - think of how many sanctions aren't being enforced by Trump, and how much worse it can get for Russia economically.
3. The fact that it would piss off the dems more than possibly anything else is a massive upside for them with their base.

If you predict the current GOP doing the move that will piss off democrats the most and has the most future possible downsides, it's usually what they'll do.

I would think the lame duck push through would be what it would take for the Dems to take the nuclear option but I get your points.

I also think that, but it's totally understandable to me why McConnell thinks it's just a bluff.

I have a American acquaintance who voted Trump with his reasoning being that American politics was so cancerous that you needed to elect a poison to show how rotten it was and start to actually fix things. If a blue wave happens and there is enough pressure to actually change and fix things he might have been right and I would have to eat some crow.

This is going to be one of the most interesting and intense elections of my lifetime because there is actually a very dramatic difference between the candidates and the parties. And there is way more people passionately pissed off. There seems to be so much dry tinder and a whole bunch of sparks. This could go so many dramatically different ways. Many of them frightening.

Unfortunately, a tremendous amount of damage has been done. Nobody really talks about it, but McConnell blockaded a ton of nominees for various federal courts from I think 2012 onward. Eventually democrats nuked the filibuster, but then the GOP got a senate majority in 2014. The end result has been that of the judges on the appellate courts, the courts directly below the Supreme Court, over thirty percent of them have been appointed by Trump.
Prev 1 2645 2646 2647 2648 2649 5991 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
IntoTheiNu 645
ComeBackTV 404
SteadfastSC280
Rex129
CosmosSc2 49
EnkiAlexander 37
LiquipediaDiscussion
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 280
ProTech134
Rex 129
CosmosSc2 49
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 56954
Jaedong 1481
firebathero 1294
Hyuk 812
EffOrt 675
Soma 641
Horang2 495
Soulkey 484
Mini 473
BeSt 458
[ Show more ]
Last 328
Larva 319
ZerO 297
Zeus 264
Stork 260
Rush 228
Light 191
Snow 167
ggaemo 156
Killer 77
hero 70
Mind 62
Pusan 48
Free 45
Sharp 37
Shinee 35
Shine 30
JYJ 25
Bale 23
sorry 22
ToSsGirL 21
Terrorterran 18
HiyA 16
yabsab 13
Trap 12
Noble 10
Sacsri 8
Rock 8
Dota 2
Gorgc11954
Dendi735
qojqva538
Counter-Strike
Fnx 561
markeloff427
edward52
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2023
Khaldor1826
Other Games
gofns50357
singsing2074
ArmadaUGS1877
olofmeister1476
B2W.Neo876
hiko554
byalli377
XBOCT283
Pyrionflax199
Liquid`VortiX161
Mew2King76
QueenE69
ZerO(Twitch)16
Railgan8
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 747
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream97
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH294
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1259
League of Legends
• Jankos1650
• Nemesis1156
• TFBlade473
Other Games
• WagamamaTV197
• Shiphtur89
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
19h 49m
OSC
22h 49m
Stellar Fest
22h 49m
OSC
1d 9h
Stellar Fest
1d 22h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.