• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:30
CEST 19:30
KST 02:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10236 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 2646

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2644 2645 2646 2647 2648 5991 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
Nouar
Profile Joined May 2009
France3270 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-19 09:28:50
September 19 2020 09:12 GMT
#52901
Aaannnnnnnd all hell breaks loose. Of course, as predicted, most republicans (not even speaking about McConnell) are breaking their vows not to confirm another judge on an election year, because you know, Supreme Court is THE only way they have to counteract demographic changes in the country and keep up their power for two dozen years, even if they themselves are not reelected.

I can't believe the luck of Trump, getting to appoint 3 judges in a single term. Has that happened ? It is going to ultra-motivate republican voters to get out and vote, and overall coalesce Trump's support I believe since Supreme Court > all.
I am expecting a successful appointment to discourage a non-negligible part of the democratic electorate (I hope I'm wrong on that one) if it happens before election day.

I am sadly unsurprised by McConnell. Before her body was even cold, he was already trampling on RBG's dying wish (not to be replaced before a new president is appointed). Worst asshole I've ever seen. Trump has no conscience, but that guy is somehow even worse.

Now... Will democrats, IF they get into power, expand the court ? Going to 11 would not even be enough since it would still be 6-5.
I'd probably agree with them to go up to eleven, to keep things "fair" and restore balance (Roberts being mostly fair these days), but anything past that, I would despise as a power grab on the same level I do to republicans currently.




I'd even argue that it would be beneficial for Trump politically to NOT nominate another candidate before the election, to give an appearance of fairness that could bring him voters, and "force" all conservatives to vote for him. It could win him the election (but at the same time also motivate democrats)
NoiR
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12010 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-19 09:44:21
September 19 2020 09:43 GMT
#52902
On September 19 2020 18:12 Nouar wrote:
Aaannnnnnnd all hell breaks loose. Of course, as predicted, most republicans (not even speaking about McConnell) are breaking their vows not to confirm another judge on an election year, because you know, Supreme Court is THE only way they have to counteract demographic changes in the country and keep up their power for two dozen years, even if they themselves are not reelected.

I can't believe the luck of Trump, getting to appoint 3 judges in a single term. Has that happened ? It is going to ultra-motivate republican voters to get out and vote, and overall coalesce Trump's support I believe since Supreme Court > all.
I am expecting a successful appointment to discourage a non-negligible part of the democratic electorate (I hope I'm wrong on that one) if it happens before election day.

I am sadly unsurprised by McConnell. Before her body was even cold, he was already trampling on RBG's dying wish (not to be replaced before a new president is appointed). Worst asshole I've ever seen. Trump has no conscience, but that guy is somehow even worse.

Now... Will democrats, IF they get into power, expand the court ? Going to 11 would not even be enough since it would still be 6-5.
I'd probably agree with them to go up to eleven, to keep things "fair" and restore balance (Roberts being mostly fair these days), but anything past that, I would despise as a power grab on the same level I do to republicans currently.




I'd even argue that it would be beneficial for Trump politically to NOT nominate another candidate before the election, to give an appearance of fairness that could bring him voters, and "force" all conservatives to vote for him. It could win him the election (but at the same time also motivate democrats)


Fuck no. Expand the court to 15 so the trump-appointed assholes have no power anymore, then use that court to change the way it works, because it is absurdly stupid. It is absurd that being lucky enough to be in power when a bunch of justices die means you are in power for the next 30 years.

Fuck fairness. Fuck balance. Republicans don't care about being fair or stuff being balanced. They care about winning, and only about that. They have zero principles. I have long gone by "what would Darth Vader do" to try to predict republican actions, and it is surprisingly effective. If there is an evil reaction possible to any stimulus, republicans will choose that without fail.

It is time that non-republicans stop trying to be fair to them. Appoint 10 new justices to the supreme court.
Nouar
Profile Joined May 2009
France3270 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-19 10:42:14
September 19 2020 10:40 GMT
#52903
On September 19 2020 18:43 Simberto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2020 18:12 Nouar wrote:
Aaannnnnnnd all hell breaks loose. Of course, as predicted, most republicans (not even speaking about McConnell) are breaking their vows not to confirm another judge on an election year, because you know, Supreme Court is THE only way they have to counteract demographic changes in the country and keep up their power for two dozen years, even if they themselves are not reelected.

I can't believe the luck of Trump, getting to appoint 3 judges in a single term. Has that happened ? It is going to ultra-motivate republican voters to get out and vote, and overall coalesce Trump's support I believe since Supreme Court > all.
I am expecting a successful appointment to discourage a non-negligible part of the democratic electorate (I hope I'm wrong on that one) if it happens before election day.

I am sadly unsurprised by McConnell. Before her body was even cold, he was already trampling on RBG's dying wish (not to be replaced before a new president is appointed). Worst asshole I've ever seen. Trump has no conscience, but that guy is somehow even worse.

Now... Will democrats, IF they get into power, expand the court ? Going to 11 would not even be enough since it would still be 6-5.
I'd probably agree with them to go up to eleven, to keep things "fair" and restore balance (Roberts being mostly fair these days), but anything past that, I would despise as a power grab on the same level I do to republicans currently.




I'd even argue that it would be beneficial for Trump politically to NOT nominate another candidate before the election, to give an appearance of fairness that could bring him voters, and "force" all conservatives to vote for him. It could win him the election (but at the same time also motivate democrats)


Fuck no. Expand the court to 15 so the trump-appointed assholes have no power anymore, then use that court to change the way it works, because it is absurdly stupid. It is absurd that being lucky enough to be in power when a bunch of justices die means you are in power for the next 30 years.

Fuck fairness. Fuck balance. Republicans don't care about being fair or stuff being balanced. They care about winning, and only about that. They have zero principles. I have long gone by "what would Darth Vader do" to try to predict republican actions, and it is surprisingly effective. If there is an evil reaction possible to any stimulus, republicans will choose that without fail.

It is time that non-republicans stop trying to be fair to them. Appoint 10 new justices to the supreme court.

Not supporting that. I do have a conscience, and I would not go lower than an opponent, because I want to be able to live in peace with myself (Cruz ? Graham ? Ahahahaahahahah. Graham.). Even if that means I get shafted sometimes, at least I don't have to hate myself.
I despise hypocrisy, so I cannot contemplate doing the same thing I am accusing others of.

(Besides, I'm just an observer, not actually an american)

If a republican voter supports these kind of shenanigans for the sake of power, I'll just not associate with any single one of those who do, ever, for any reason. That's about all. There are no excuses.
NoiR
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24368 Posts
September 19 2020 10:46 GMT
#52904
On September 19 2020 19:40 Nouar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2020 18:43 Simberto wrote:
On September 19 2020 18:12 Nouar wrote:
Aaannnnnnnd all hell breaks loose. Of course, as predicted, most republicans (not even speaking about McConnell) are breaking their vows not to confirm another judge on an election year, because you know, Supreme Court is THE only way they have to counteract demographic changes in the country and keep up their power for two dozen years, even if they themselves are not reelected.

I can't believe the luck of Trump, getting to appoint 3 judges in a single term. Has that happened ? It is going to ultra-motivate republican voters to get out and vote, and overall coalesce Trump's support I believe since Supreme Court > all.
I am expecting a successful appointment to discourage a non-negligible part of the democratic electorate (I hope I'm wrong on that one) if it happens before election day.

I am sadly unsurprised by McConnell. Before her body was even cold, he was already trampling on RBG's dying wish (not to be replaced before a new president is appointed). Worst asshole I've ever seen. Trump has no conscience, but that guy is somehow even worse.

Now... Will democrats, IF they get into power, expand the court ? Going to 11 would not even be enough since it would still be 6-5.
I'd probably agree with them to go up to eleven, to keep things "fair" and restore balance (Roberts being mostly fair these days), but anything past that, I would despise as a power grab on the same level I do to republicans currently.




I'd even argue that it would be beneficial for Trump politically to NOT nominate another candidate before the election, to give an appearance of fairness that could bring him voters, and "force" all conservatives to vote for him. It could win him the election (but at the same time also motivate democrats)


Fuck no. Expand the court to 15 so the trump-appointed assholes have no power anymore, then use that court to change the way it works, because it is absurdly stupid. It is absurd that being lucky enough to be in power when a bunch of justices die means you are in power for the next 30 years.

Fuck fairness. Fuck balance. Republicans don't care about being fair or stuff being balanced. They care about winning, and only about that. They have zero principles. I have long gone by "what would Darth Vader do" to try to predict republican actions, and it is surprisingly effective. If there is an evil reaction possible to any stimulus, republicans will choose that without fail.

It is time that non-republicans stop trying to be fair to them. Appoint 10 new justices to the supreme court.

Not supporting that. I do have a conscience, and I would not go lower than an opponent, because I want to be able to live in peace with myself (Cruz ? Graham ? Ahahahaahahahah. Graham.). Even if that means I get shafted sometimes, at least I don't have to hate myself.
I despise hypocrisy, so I cannot contemplate doing the same thing I am accusing others of.

(Besides, I'm just an observer, not actually an american)

If a republican voter supports these kind of shenanigans for the sake of power, I'll just not associate with any single one of those who do, ever, for any reason. That's about all. There are no excuses.


Are you a pacifist?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12010 Posts
September 19 2020 10:50 GMT
#52905
Dunno. It is just so frustrating to see these assholes always get away with it and get whatever new evil thing they want.

The big problem is that i am generally for non-evil politics, for principles and all that stuff. But that doesn't seem to work in the US at all. Because for some reason, the republican party can get away with becoming ever more evil and hypocritical, and their voters don't care. (Probably due to the abundantly bad FPTP shit). A minority can win elections, and a minority can somehow hold more power than the the majority.

It is so horribly frustrating to see them get not one, not two, but THREE supreme court justices for the next decades, just because they got their incompetent and disgustingly assholeish in every way guy elected to president with a minority of the votes. And having them thus ruin every attempt for progress for decades, while very obviously consistently ignoring any of the principles they claim to care about. And progress is already hard in the broken US system.

It is simply beyond my understanding why a party as evil as the republicans have any power whatsoever in what claims to be a first-world country.

But i am only a spectator too, and quite happy to not be caught in the shithole that the US is. And if i were in the US, i would probably get out.
Nouar
Profile Joined May 2009
France3270 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-19 10:55:11
September 19 2020 10:53 GMT
#52906
Let's see if at least 4 of these have balls.

https://www.motherjones.com/2020-elections/2020/09/a-long-list-of-gop-senators-who-promised-not-to-confirm-a-supreme-court-nominee-during-an-election-year/

On September 19 2020 19:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2020 19:40 Nouar wrote:
On September 19 2020 18:43 Simberto wrote:
On September 19 2020 18:12 Nouar wrote:
Aaannnnnnnd all hell breaks loose. Of course, as predicted, most republicans (not even speaking about McConnell) are breaking their vows not to confirm another judge on an election year, because you know, Supreme Court is THE only way they have to counteract demographic changes in the country and keep up their power for two dozen years, even if they themselves are not reelected.

I can't believe the luck of Trump, getting to appoint 3 judges in a single term. Has that happened ? It is going to ultra-motivate republican voters to get out and vote, and overall coalesce Trump's support I believe since Supreme Court > all.
I am expecting a successful appointment to discourage a non-negligible part of the democratic electorate (I hope I'm wrong on that one) if it happens before election day.

I am sadly unsurprised by McConnell. Before her body was even cold, he was already trampling on RBG's dying wish (not to be replaced before a new president is appointed). Worst asshole I've ever seen. Trump has no conscience, but that guy is somehow even worse.

Now... Will democrats, IF they get into power, expand the court ? Going to 11 would not even be enough since it would still be 6-5.
I'd probably agree with them to go up to eleven, to keep things "fair" and restore balance (Roberts being mostly fair these days), but anything past that, I would despise as a power grab on the same level I do to republicans currently.




I'd even argue that it would be beneficial for Trump politically to NOT nominate another candidate before the election, to give an appearance of fairness that could bring him voters, and "force" all conservatives to vote for him. It could win him the election (but at the same time also motivate democrats)


Fuck no. Expand the court to 15 so the trump-appointed assholes have no power anymore, then use that court to change the way it works, because it is absurdly stupid. It is absurd that being lucky enough to be in power when a bunch of justices die means you are in power for the next 30 years.

Fuck fairness. Fuck balance. Republicans don't care about being fair or stuff being balanced. They care about winning, and only about that. They have zero principles. I have long gone by "what would Darth Vader do" to try to predict republican actions, and it is surprisingly effective. If there is an evil reaction possible to any stimulus, republicans will choose that without fail.

It is time that non-republicans stop trying to be fair to them. Appoint 10 new justices to the supreme court.

Not supporting that. I do have a conscience, and I would not go lower than an opponent, because I want to be able to live in peace with myself (Cruz ? Graham ? Ahahahaahahahah. Graham.). Even if that means I get shafted sometimes, at least I don't have to hate myself.
I despise hypocrisy, so I cannot contemplate doing the same thing I am accusing others of.

(Besides, I'm just an observer, not actually an american)

If a republican voter supports these kind of shenanigans for the sake of power, I'll just not associate with any single one of those who do, ever, for any reason. That's about all. There are no excuses.


Are you a pacifist?


I have been an active duty soldier for 15+ years. A soldier's goal is peace. Sometimes though, we don't have a choice. But I would not support my country starting a war for the wrong reasons.
NoiR
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24368 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-19 11:10:47
September 19 2020 11:06 GMT
#52907
On September 19 2020 19:53 Nouar wrote:

Show nested quote +
On September 19 2020 19:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On September 19 2020 19:40 Nouar wrote:
On September 19 2020 18:43 Simberto wrote:
On September 19 2020 18:12 Nouar wrote:
Aaannnnnnnd all hell breaks loose. Of course, as predicted, most republicans (not even speaking about McConnell) are breaking their vows not to confirm another judge on an election year, because you know, Supreme Court is THE only way they have to counteract demographic changes in the country and keep up their power for two dozen years, even if they themselves are not reelected.

I can't believe the luck of Trump, getting to appoint 3 judges in a single term. Has that happened ? It is going to ultra-motivate republican voters to get out and vote, and overall coalesce Trump's support I believe since Supreme Court > all.
I am expecting a successful appointment to discourage a non-negligible part of the democratic electorate (I hope I'm wrong on that one) if it happens before election day.

I am sadly unsurprised by McConnell. Before her body was even cold, he was already trampling on RBG's dying wish (not to be replaced before a new president is appointed). Worst asshole I've ever seen. Trump has no conscience, but that guy is somehow even worse.

Now... Will democrats, IF they get into power, expand the court ? Going to 11 would not even be enough since it would still be 6-5.
I'd probably agree with them to go up to eleven, to keep things "fair" and restore balance (Roberts being mostly fair these days), but anything past that, I would despise as a power grab on the same level I do to republicans currently.




I'd even argue that it would be beneficial for Trump politically to NOT nominate another candidate before the election, to give an appearance of fairness that could bring him voters, and "force" all conservatives to vote for him. It could win him the election (but at the same time also motivate democrats)


Fuck no. Expand the court to 15 so the trump-appointed assholes have no power anymore, then use that court to change the way it works, because it is absurdly stupid. It is absurd that being lucky enough to be in power when a bunch of justices die means you are in power for the next 30 years.

Fuck fairness. Fuck balance. Republicans don't care about being fair or stuff being balanced. They care about winning, and only about that. They have zero principles. I have long gone by "what would Darth Vader do" to try to predict republican actions, and it is surprisingly effective. If there is an evil reaction possible to any stimulus, republicans will choose that without fail.

It is time that non-republicans stop trying to be fair to them. Appoint 10 new justices to the supreme court.

Not supporting that. I do have a conscience, and I would not go lower than an opponent, because I want to be able to live in peace with myself (Cruz ? Graham ? Ahahahaahahahah. Graham.). Even if that means I get shafted sometimes, at least I don't have to hate myself.
I despise hypocrisy, so I cannot contemplate doing the same thing I am accusing others of.

(Besides, I'm just an observer, not actually an american)

If a republican voter supports these kind of shenanigans for the sake of power, I'll just not associate with any single one of those who do, ever, for any reason. That's about all. There are no excuses.


Are you a pacifist?


I have been an active duty soldier for 15+ years. A soldier's goal is peace. Sometimes though, we don't have a choice. But I would not support my country starting a war for the wrong reasons.

Probably have some explaining to do about the Sahel.

I expect people to berate this position (like they do voting one's conscience) for being naively self-righteous.

Simberto:
It is simply beyond my understanding why a party as evil as the republicans have any power whatsoever in what claims to be a first-world country.

You have to meet more US citizens.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Nouar
Profile Joined May 2009
France3270 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-19 11:27:45
September 19 2020 11:17 GMT
#52908
On September 19 2020 20:06 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2020 19:53 Nouar wrote:

On September 19 2020 19:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On September 19 2020 19:40 Nouar wrote:
On September 19 2020 18:43 Simberto wrote:
On September 19 2020 18:12 Nouar wrote:
Aaannnnnnnd all hell breaks loose. Of course, as predicted, most republicans (not even speaking about McConnell) are breaking their vows not to confirm another judge on an election year, because you know, Supreme Court is THE only way they have to counteract demographic changes in the country and keep up their power for two dozen years, even if they themselves are not reelected.

I can't believe the luck of Trump, getting to appoint 3 judges in a single term. Has that happened ? It is going to ultra-motivate republican voters to get out and vote, and overall coalesce Trump's support I believe since Supreme Court > all.
I am expecting a successful appointment to discourage a non-negligible part of the democratic electorate (I hope I'm wrong on that one) if it happens before election day.

I am sadly unsurprised by McConnell. Before her body was even cold, he was already trampling on RBG's dying wish (not to be replaced before a new president is appointed). Worst asshole I've ever seen. Trump has no conscience, but that guy is somehow even worse.

Now... Will democrats, IF they get into power, expand the court ? Going to 11 would not even be enough since it would still be 6-5.
I'd probably agree with them to go up to eleven, to keep things "fair" and restore balance (Roberts being mostly fair these days), but anything past that, I would despise as a power grab on the same level I do to republicans currently.




I'd even argue that it would be beneficial for Trump politically to NOT nominate another candidate before the election, to give an appearance of fairness that could bring him voters, and "force" all conservatives to vote for him. It could win him the election (but at the same time also motivate democrats)


Fuck no. Expand the court to 15 so the trump-appointed assholes have no power anymore, then use that court to change the way it works, because it is absurdly stupid. It is absurd that being lucky enough to be in power when a bunch of justices die means you are in power for the next 30 years.

Fuck fairness. Fuck balance. Republicans don't care about being fair or stuff being balanced. They care about winning, and only about that. They have zero principles. I have long gone by "what would Darth Vader do" to try to predict republican actions, and it is surprisingly effective. If there is an evil reaction possible to any stimulus, republicans will choose that without fail.

It is time that non-republicans stop trying to be fair to them. Appoint 10 new justices to the supreme court.

Not supporting that. I do have a conscience, and I would not go lower than an opponent, because I want to be able to live in peace with myself (Cruz ? Graham ? Ahahahaahahahah. Graham.). Even if that means I get shafted sometimes, at least I don't have to hate myself.
I despise hypocrisy, so I cannot contemplate doing the same thing I am accusing others of.

(Besides, I'm just an observer, not actually an american)

If a republican voter supports these kind of shenanigans for the sake of power, I'll just not associate with any single one of those who do, ever, for any reason. That's about all. There are no excuses.


Are you a pacifist?


I have been an active duty soldier for 15+ years. A soldier's goal is peace. Sometimes though, we don't have a choice. But I would not support my country starting a war for the wrong reasons.

Probably have some explaining to do about the Sahel.

I expect people to berate this position (like they do voting one's conscience) for being naively self-righteous.

Simberto:
Show nested quote +
It is simply beyond my understanding why a party as evil as the republicans have any power whatsoever in what claims to be a first-world country.

You have to meet more US citizens.

You mean, like, the part about supporting the countries we have defense agreements with and that asked for our help (Sabre/Serval/Barkhane) ? Or the part about rooting terrorists that are killing the local population and want to impose sharia in a separatist state ? Or the part about training the local army in hope for it to be able to defend their country by themselves instead of rolling over and defecting when faced with attacks ?



I'll add one little thing so that you understand the main difference in how our army does things compared to say, the american one :

When we have a base somewhere (Ivory Coast for example), it is integrated into the local area, we have a lot of local workers and suppliers, we use facilities from the area and we go outside as much as we can to support the local economy and gain the approval of the people (of course, there are always some issues about drunk soldiers, won't deny that...). That opens us up with more risks of being attacked, but that's the price to pay to keep good relations with the people there and gain trust and informants.

An american base is a contested area is usually a full-on bunker with extremely heavy security, no or very few local workers and supplies coming from america (and endless fire pits burning inside the base poisoning the soldiers).

While I was in Ivory Coast, one of the soldiers there got a citation for "while being on checkpoint duty at the entrance of a base in Kandahar in 2012 (Afghanistan), faced with two pick-ups full of talibans with AK-47 and RPGs rushing towards the base, set himself in front of the cars, held his ground without appearing too threatening, negotiated with the assaillants, and managed to get them to back away peacefully without firing a single shot". This guy had balls of steel.
What do you think would have happened in front of a US Army base ?
NoiR
iPlaY.NettleS
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Australia4455 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-19 11:28:52
September 19 2020 11:22 GMT
#52909
On September 19 2020 18:43 Simberto wrote:
Fuck no. Expand the court to 15 so the trump-appointed assholes have no power anymore, then use that court to change the way it works, because it is absurdly stupid. It is absurd that being lucky enough to be in power when a bunch of justices die means you are in power for the next 30 years.

Julius Caesar did pretty much the same thing towards the very end of the Roman Republic.Expanded the senate (to 900) in AD 47, three years before he was announced dictator for life.Doing what you suggest would end in civil war.Personally i think conservatives would end up on top, they have all the guns and live in rural areas.Depends who the military backs i suppose and if they can even continue to be paid when the fiat currency collapses.

Back to the current situation I'd advise democrats not to protest/riot too vehemently toward the upcoming senate vote announced by McConnell.It really can turn off more moderate and swing voters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7PvoI6gvQs
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24368 Posts
September 19 2020 11:27 GMT
#52910
On September 19 2020 20:17 Nouar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2020 20:06 GreenHorizons wrote:
On September 19 2020 19:53 Nouar wrote:

On September 19 2020 19:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On September 19 2020 19:40 Nouar wrote:
On September 19 2020 18:43 Simberto wrote:
On September 19 2020 18:12 Nouar wrote:
Aaannnnnnnd all hell breaks loose. Of course, as predicted, most republicans (not even speaking about McConnell) are breaking their vows not to confirm another judge on an election year, because you know, Supreme Court is THE only way they have to counteract demographic changes in the country and keep up their power for two dozen years, even if they themselves are not reelected.

I can't believe the luck of Trump, getting to appoint 3 judges in a single term. Has that happened ? It is going to ultra-motivate republican voters to get out and vote, and overall coalesce Trump's support I believe since Supreme Court > all.
I am expecting a successful appointment to discourage a non-negligible part of the democratic electorate (I hope I'm wrong on that one) if it happens before election day.

I am sadly unsurprised by McConnell. Before her body was even cold, he was already trampling on RBG's dying wish (not to be replaced before a new president is appointed). Worst asshole I've ever seen. Trump has no conscience, but that guy is somehow even worse.

Now... Will democrats, IF they get into power, expand the court ? Going to 11 would not even be enough since it would still be 6-5.
I'd probably agree with them to go up to eleven, to keep things "fair" and restore balance (Roberts being mostly fair these days), but anything past that, I would despise as a power grab on the same level I do to republicans currently.




I'd even argue that it would be beneficial for Trump politically to NOT nominate another candidate before the election, to give an appearance of fairness that could bring him voters, and "force" all conservatives to vote for him. It could win him the election (but at the same time also motivate democrats)


Fuck no. Expand the court to 15 so the trump-appointed assholes have no power anymore, then use that court to change the way it works, because it is absurdly stupid. It is absurd that being lucky enough to be in power when a bunch of justices die means you are in power for the next 30 years.

Fuck fairness. Fuck balance. Republicans don't care about being fair or stuff being balanced. They care about winning, and only about that. They have zero principles. I have long gone by "what would Darth Vader do" to try to predict republican actions, and it is surprisingly effective. If there is an evil reaction possible to any stimulus, republicans will choose that without fail.

It is time that non-republicans stop trying to be fair to them. Appoint 10 new justices to the supreme court.

Not supporting that. I do have a conscience, and I would not go lower than an opponent, because I want to be able to live in peace with myself (Cruz ? Graham ? Ahahahaahahahah. Graham.). Even if that means I get shafted sometimes, at least I don't have to hate myself.
I despise hypocrisy, so I cannot contemplate doing the same thing I am accusing others of.

(Besides, I'm just an observer, not actually an american)

If a republican voter supports these kind of shenanigans for the sake of power, I'll just not associate with any single one of those who do, ever, for any reason. That's about all. There are no excuses.


Are you a pacifist?


I have been an active duty soldier for 15+ years. A soldier's goal is peace. Sometimes though, we don't have a choice. But I would not support my country starting a war for the wrong reasons.

Probably have some explaining to do about the Sahel.

I expect people to berate this position (like they do voting one's conscience) for being naively self-righteous.

Simberto:
It is simply beyond my understanding why a party as evil as the republicans have any power whatsoever in what claims to be a first-world country.

You have to meet more US citizens.

You mean, like, the part about supporting the countries we have defense agreements with and that asked for our help (Sabre/Serval/Barkhane) ? Or the part about rooting terrorists that are killing the local population and want to impose sharia in a separatist state ? Or the part about training the local army in hope for it to be able to defend their country by themselves instead of rolling over and defecting when faced with attacks ?

I suppose when the French government tell people that it's easier to buy than when the US says the same stuff to justify its neoimperialist rent seeking. Beyond that I guess it's for the euro thread.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12010 Posts
September 19 2020 11:38 GMT
#52911
On September 19 2020 20:22 iPlaY.NettleS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2020 18:43 Simberto wrote:
Fuck no. Expand the court to 15 so the trump-appointed assholes have no power anymore, then use that court to change the way it works, because it is absurdly stupid. It is absurd that being lucky enough to be in power when a bunch of justices die means you are in power for the next 30 years.

Julius Caesar did pretty much the same thing towards the very end of the Roman Republic.Expanded the senate (to 900) in AD 47, three years before he was announced dictator for life.Doing what you suggest would end in civil war.Personally i think conservatives would end up on top, they have all the guns and live in rural areas.Depends who the military backs i suppose and if they can even continue to be paid when the fiat currency collapses.

Back to the current situation I'd advise democrats not to protest/riot too vehemently toward the upcoming senate vote announced by McConnell.It really can turn off more moderate and swing voters.


It is easy to advise caution if everything is going as you want.

Sadly, the sane part of the country will have to deal with the fallout of the republicans insanity for a long time.
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22627 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-19 11:44:45
September 19 2020 11:40 GMT
#52912
On September 19 2020 20:22 iPlaY.NettleS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2020 18:43 Simberto wrote:
Fuck no. Expand the court to 15 so the trump-appointed assholes have no power anymore, then use that court to change the way it works, because it is absurdly stupid. It is absurd that being lucky enough to be in power when a bunch of justices die means you are in power for the next 30 years.

Julius Caesar did pretty much the same thing towards the very end of the Roman Republic.Expanded the senate (to 900) in AD 47, three years before he was announced dictator for life.Doing what you suggest would end in civil war.Personally i think conservatives would end up on top, they have all the guns and live in rural areas.Depends who the military backs i suppose and if they can even continue to be paid when the fiat currency collapses.

Back to the current situation I'd advise democrats not to protest/riot too vehemently toward the upcoming senate vote announced by McConnell.It really can turn off more moderate and swing voters.
so what your telling us is that when Republicans do it (deny Obama appointing a new SCJ) the Democrats should accept it. And when the Democrats do it, you will threaten civil war...

sigh, this is why playing by the rules with Republicans doesn't work. Because they don't care about hypocrisy and will freely ignore rules if it suits them and then complain when others do the same.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Anc13nt
Profile Blog Joined October 2017
1557 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-19 12:26:18
September 19 2020 12:01 GMT
#52913
On September 19 2020 20:22 iPlaY.NettleS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2020 18:43 Simberto wrote:
Fuck no. Expand the court to 15 so the trump-appointed assholes have no power anymore, then use that court to change the way it works, because it is absurdly stupid. It is absurd that being lucky enough to be in power when a bunch of justices die means you are in power for the next 30 years.

Julius Caesar did pretty much the same thing towards the very end of the Roman Republic.Expanded the senate (to 900) in AD 47, three years before he was announced dictator for life.Doing what you suggest would end in civil war.Personally i think conservatives would end up on top, they have all the guns and live in rural areas.Depends who the military backs i suppose and if they can even continue to be paid when the fiat currency collapses.

Back to the current situation I'd advise democrats not to protest/riot too vehemently toward the upcoming senate vote announced by McConnell.It really can turn off more moderate and swing voters.


why would moderate and swing voters be turned off by democrat's pointing out obvious hypocrisy?

edit: Also, I wonder why they can't just make like 10-15 year term on a supreme court nominee so they won't have to worry about re-election/political pressure. Age should not be such an important factor when picking a supreme court justice.
Nouar
Profile Joined May 2009
France3270 Posts
September 19 2020 12:05 GMT
#52914
On September 19 2020 20:27 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2020 20:17 Nouar wrote:
On September 19 2020 20:06 GreenHorizons wrote:
On September 19 2020 19:53 Nouar wrote:

On September 19 2020 19:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On September 19 2020 19:40 Nouar wrote:
On September 19 2020 18:43 Simberto wrote:
On September 19 2020 18:12 Nouar wrote:
Aaannnnnnnd all hell breaks loose. Of course, as predicted, most republicans (not even speaking about McConnell) are breaking their vows not to confirm another judge on an election year, because you know, Supreme Court is THE only way they have to counteract demographic changes in the country and keep up their power for two dozen years, even if they themselves are not reelected.

I can't believe the luck of Trump, getting to appoint 3 judges in a single term. Has that happened ? It is going to ultra-motivate republican voters to get out and vote, and overall coalesce Trump's support I believe since Supreme Court > all.
I am expecting a successful appointment to discourage a non-negligible part of the democratic electorate (I hope I'm wrong on that one) if it happens before election day.

I am sadly unsurprised by McConnell. Before her body was even cold, he was already trampling on RBG's dying wish (not to be replaced before a new president is appointed). Worst asshole I've ever seen. Trump has no conscience, but that guy is somehow even worse.

Now... Will democrats, IF they get into power, expand the court ? Going to 11 would not even be enough since it would still be 6-5.
I'd probably agree with them to go up to eleven, to keep things "fair" and restore balance (Roberts being mostly fair these days), but anything past that, I would despise as a power grab on the same level I do to republicans currently.




I'd even argue that it would be beneficial for Trump politically to NOT nominate another candidate before the election, to give an appearance of fairness that could bring him voters, and "force" all conservatives to vote for him. It could win him the election (but at the same time also motivate democrats)


Fuck no. Expand the court to 15 so the trump-appointed assholes have no power anymore, then use that court to change the way it works, because it is absurdly stupid. It is absurd that being lucky enough to be in power when a bunch of justices die means you are in power for the next 30 years.

Fuck fairness. Fuck balance. Republicans don't care about being fair or stuff being balanced. They care about winning, and only about that. They have zero principles. I have long gone by "what would Darth Vader do" to try to predict republican actions, and it is surprisingly effective. If there is an evil reaction possible to any stimulus, republicans will choose that without fail.

It is time that non-republicans stop trying to be fair to them. Appoint 10 new justices to the supreme court.

Not supporting that. I do have a conscience, and I would not go lower than an opponent, because I want to be able to live in peace with myself (Cruz ? Graham ? Ahahahaahahahah. Graham.). Even if that means I get shafted sometimes, at least I don't have to hate myself.
I despise hypocrisy, so I cannot contemplate doing the same thing I am accusing others of.

(Besides, I'm just an observer, not actually an american)

If a republican voter supports these kind of shenanigans for the sake of power, I'll just not associate with any single one of those who do, ever, for any reason. That's about all. There are no excuses.


Are you a pacifist?


I have been an active duty soldier for 15+ years. A soldier's goal is peace. Sometimes though, we don't have a choice. But I would not support my country starting a war for the wrong reasons.

Probably have some explaining to do about the Sahel.

I expect people to berate this position (like they do voting one's conscience) for being naively self-righteous.

Simberto:
It is simply beyond my understanding why a party as evil as the republicans have any power whatsoever in what claims to be a first-world country.

You have to meet more US citizens.

You mean, like, the part about supporting the countries we have defense agreements with and that asked for our help (Sabre/Serval/Barkhane) ? Or the part about rooting terrorists that are killing the local population and want to impose sharia in a separatist state ? Or the part about training the local army in hope for it to be able to defend their country by themselves instead of rolling over and defecting when faced with attacks ?

I suppose when the French government tell people that it's easier to buy than when the US says the same stuff to justify its neoimperialist rent seeking. Beyond that I guess it's for the euro thread.

Half of Mali was taken over and Mali officially sent a help request to the UN and specifically France.
But hey, indeed it's not due for this thread. You should research a little bit though. We had some questionable interventions in the past, but definitely not that one.
NoiR
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12010 Posts
September 19 2020 12:39 GMT
#52915
On September 19 2020 21:01 Anc13nt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2020 20:22 iPlaY.NettleS wrote:
On September 19 2020 18:43 Simberto wrote:
Fuck no. Expand the court to 15 so the trump-appointed assholes have no power anymore, then use that court to change the way it works, because it is absurdly stupid. It is absurd that being lucky enough to be in power when a bunch of justices die means you are in power for the next 30 years.

Julius Caesar did pretty much the same thing towards the very end of the Roman Republic.Expanded the senate (to 900) in AD 47, three years before he was announced dictator for life.Doing what you suggest would end in civil war.Personally i think conservatives would end up on top, they have all the guns and live in rural areas.Depends who the military backs i suppose and if they can even continue to be paid when the fiat currency collapses.

Back to the current situation I'd advise democrats not to protest/riot too vehemently toward the upcoming senate vote announced by McConnell.It really can turn off more moderate and swing voters.


why would moderate and swing voters be turned off by democrat's pointing out obvious hypocrisy?

edit: Also, I wonder why they can't just make like 10-15 year term on a supreme court nominee so they won't have to worry about re-election/political pressure. Age should not be such an important factor when picking a supreme court justice.


In Germany, supreme court justices serve for 12 years, and need a 2/3 majority to be appointed half get appointed by our parliament, half by our senate-equivalent (which is a lot less stupid). It makes for a very broadly accepted and well-respected court.

That obviously wouldn't work in the US due to the shitty two-party FPTP system, the death of any bipartisanship thanks to the republicans, and republicans would simply block any democrat nominee forever.
Sent.
Profile Joined June 2012
Poland9331 Posts
September 19 2020 12:42 GMT
#52916
Waking up to see 70 new posts in this thread was a big surprise. I was worried they're all about whose sexual misconduct allegations are worse.

How likely it is Trump decides to play statesman and declare he's not going to confirm a judge before the election? If he delivered that message correctly, it could be more beneficial to him than rushing a confirmation. "Look at me, I can follow the rules even if they are bad for me! Just remember to vote for me or the RADICAL LEFT will have one more of their biased judges in the SC!"
You're now breathing manually
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12010 Posts
September 19 2020 12:58 GMT
#52917
How likely it is Trump decides to play statesman and declare he's not going to confirm a judge before the election?


Are you serious? It is Trump we are talking about here. I'd place the odds of that happening at 1% or less. Trump never acts like a statesman, or just like a decent human being. I don't think he is capable of that.
Sent.
Profile Joined June 2012
Poland9331 Posts
September 19 2020 13:14 GMT
#52918
Why would he care about what happens to the supreme court if he doesn't get reelected? If pretending to be a statesman will seem like a more optimal move in regard to the election, he'll do it.
You're now breathing manually
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
September 19 2020 14:26 GMT
#52919
--- Nuked ---
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-19 14:46:05
September 19 2020 14:33 GMT
#52920
--- Nuked ---
Prev 1 2644 2645 2646 2647 2648 5991 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
ComeBackTV 701
IntoTheiNu 623
SteadfastSC548
Rex104
CosmosSc2 61
EnkiAlexander 53
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 548
UpATreeSC 104
Rex 104
CosmosSc2 61
BRAT_OK 53
Codebar 13
MindelVK 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 40474
Jaedong 1430
Hyuk 757
Soma 751
Mini 475
BeSt 459
Larva 368
Rush 304
Soulkey 256
ZerO 236
[ Show more ]
Snow 170
hero 101
Dewaltoss 94
Liquid`Ret 58
Mind 43
sorry 30
yabsab 29
Killer 26
ToSsGirL 23
Rock 19
Shine 19
Terrorterran 16
Trap 16
Dota 2
qojqva1260
Dendi798
Counter-Strike
Fnx 727
fl0m70
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King92
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3509
crisheroes2327
Khaldor1798
Liquid`Hasu485
Other Games
ArmadaUGS1638
byalli475
B2W.Neo473
ceh9380
KnowMe117
QueenE83
Trikslyr40
Railgan23
Chillindude23
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream87
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 37
• Adnapsc2 9
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki18
• FirePhoenix11
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3488
League of Legends
• TFBlade1031
Other Games
• imaqtpie776
• Shiphtur330
• WagamamaTV255
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
16h 30m
OSC
19h 30m
Stellar Fest
19h 30m
OSC
1d 6h
Stellar Fest
1d 19h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.