• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:44
CEST 18:44
KST 01:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)70Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6438 users

The Math Thread - Page 5

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 30 31 32 Next All
Shalashaska_123
Profile Blog Joined July 2013
United States142 Posts
June 14 2017 19:06 GMT
#81
Hi, JimmyJRaynor.

Integration is essentially multiplication of a function with an infinitesimal quantity, whereas differentiation is division of the function's change with an infinitesimal quantity.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-14 20:21:22
June 14 2017 20:13 GMT
#82
I am looking for a relation

the pattern is as follows

n: 1, 3, 7, 15, 31, 63
i: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

I need a formula for i as a function of n

I am not sure how to do it. I understand how n grows and I understand how i grows and I can relate them positionally in a list but I don't know how to write i as a function of n

I know we have some clever people at TL... here is a chance to show off
hypercube
Profile Joined April 2010
Hungary2735 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-14 20:35:04
June 14 2017 20:32 GMT
#83
On June 15 2017 05:13 travis wrote:
I am looking for a relation

the pattern is as follows

n: 1, 3, 7, 15, 31, 63
i: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

I need a formula for i as a function of n

I am not sure how to do it. I understand how n grows and I understand how i grows and I can relate them positionally in a list but I don't know how to write i as a function of n

I know we have some clever people at TL... here is a chance to show off


Introduce a new variable k and write n(k) and i(k). Now find the inverse, i.e. k(n). Substitute to get i(k(n)), or i(n).

edit: for example you could just say k is the position in the list, so you would have n = 2^k - 1 and i = 2k
"Sending people in rockets to other planets is a waste of money better spent on sending rockets into people on this planet."
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
June 14 2017 20:48 GMT
#84
very cool... thank you
I knew there must be a way, lol
Shalashaska_123
Profile Blog Joined July 2013
United States142 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-14 21:33:44
June 14 2017 21:21 GMT
#85
Hi, travis.

I'm gonna call the first and second sequences of numbers you listed a_n and b_n, respectively. We can represent them as follows.

[image loading]

Solve the second equation for n.

[image loading]

Substitute it into the first equation and solve for b_n.

[image loading]

Therefore, the final answer is this.

[image loading]

EDIT: Fixed.
fishjie
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1519 Posts
June 14 2017 22:04 GMT
#86
OR, since i is just all the multiples of 2, and doesn't really depend on n at all. Let i(x) be the function for i and n(x) be the function for n:

i(x) = 2x + n(x) * 0

this is a joke post and the answer above is the correct one
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17897 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-14 22:10:40
June 14 2017 22:10 GMT
#87
On June 15 2017 04:06 Shalashaska_123 wrote:
Hi, JimmyJRaynor.

Integration is essentially multiplication of a function with an infinitesimal quantity, whereas differentiation is division of the function's change with an infinitesimal quantity.

that's pretty good. i like that one. thx for posting.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
June 15 2017 06:20 GMT
#88
--- Nuked ---
Kleinmuuhg
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Vanuatu4091 Posts
June 15 2017 18:24 GMT
#89
this should be fun
This is our town, scrub
fishjie
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1519 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-15 19:09:39
June 15 2017 19:09 GMT
#90
Here are some resources. I took applied algorithms in spring as part of my professional masters program, and most of the stuff flew over my head. i only learned what i had to for homework. now i'm going back to try to understand the stuff. One of the most unexpected thing for me (and apparently other people who've taken applied algorithms before shared same surprise) is that the class is almost entirely theory. We did have some coding assignments, but most of it is math. I'll be posting more stuff as I go over my class notes. I just finished my masters and realized I haven't mastered anything.

Shannon Entropy - we also used this in Machine Learning when we had to code a decision tree learner.
http://homes.cs.washington.edu/~jrl/teaching/cse599swi16/notes/lecture1.pdf

Spectral graph
https://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse521/16sp/521-lecture-12.pdf

Spectral algorithm for clustering
https://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse521/16sp/521-lecture-11.pdf
DanielReeLee
Profile Joined October 2015
2 Posts
June 15 2017 23:34 GMT
#91
Hello I'm looking for some problem sets for multivariable and vector calculus. Could I have some recommendations
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-16 19:16:10
June 16 2017 19:15 GMT
#92
Ok here is a math question everyone.

Lets say I have a list of n elements.

I analyze my elements, reduce the amount of elements by 1, then cut the elements in half. Now I have 2 lists of elements, 1 of size (n-1)/2 and the other of size n/2.

I do this over and over until i am left with many lists of 2 elements (and lists of 1 elements.. but for this question we don't consider those).

So the question is, how many lists did we go through in total? where n was a list at the top, n/2 and n-1/2 were lists, ((n/2)-1)/2 and (n/2)/2 were lists, etc etc all the way down to our lists of 2. Lists of 1, left over, do not count.

Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18451 Posts
June 16 2017 19:38 GMT
#93
Not sure I understand the question. Would this be how you do it for n=100:
100
2*50
4* 25
8*12 (and 4*1 which we discard)
16*6
32*3
32*2 (and 32*1 which we discard)

So 95 in total?

If so, approximately n/2 + n/4 + ... ~= n

A precise answer is harder, because you need to know how many times you end up with an odd number of elements in your list. There's almost certainly a numerical way of figuring that out, but I'm lazy right now.
hypercube
Profile Joined April 2010
Hungary2735 Posts
June 16 2017 19:40 GMT
#94
On June 17 2017 04:15 travis wrote:
Now I have 2 lists of elements, 1 of size (n-1)/2 and the other of size n/2.


One of these is not an integer.
"Sending people in rockets to other planets is a waste of money better spent on sending rockets into people on this planet."
hypercube
Profile Joined April 2010
Hungary2735 Posts
June 16 2017 19:47 GMT
#95
On June 16 2017 08:34 DanielReeLee wrote:
Hello I'm looking for some problem sets for multivariable and vector calculus. Could I have some recommendations


Check out the multivariable calculus course on MIT OCW.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-02sc-multivariable-calculus-fall-2010/

There's a short problem set at the end of each chapter, as well as a longer list of supplemental problems for all 4 major chapters (with solutions).
"Sending people in rockets to other planets is a waste of money better spent on sending rockets into people on this planet."
Amanebak
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Czech Republic528 Posts
June 16 2017 19:53 GMT
#96
Hey.
I stumbled across a problem like this:

What is the longest gondola that can take a right-angle turn of a Venetian canal? The width of the canal is 2, respectively 3 length units before, resp. after the turn.

I apologize for my English.
BW
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-16 19:56:58
June 16 2017 19:54 GMT
#97
On June 17 2017 04:38 Acrofales wrote:
Not sure I understand the question. Would this be how you do it for n=100:
100
2*50
4* 25
8*12 (and 4*1 which we discard)
16*6
32*3
32*2 (and 32*1 which we discard)

So 95 in total?

If so, approximately n/2 + n/4 + ... ~= n

A precise answer is harder, because you need to know how many times you end up with an odd number of elements in your list. There's almost certainly a numerical way of figuring that out, but I'm lazy right now.


well, for n = 100

100
50 , 49
25, 24 24, 24

12, 12, 11, 12, 11, 12, 11, 12
5, 6, 5, 6, 5, 5, 5, 6, 5, 5, 5, 6, 5, 5, 5, 6
2, 2, - oh god there is a lot, u get the idea
it would stop at all 1s and 2s but the 1s don't count
and what I want is the count of EVERY list of length > 1, including the original list and the lists in every step


On June 17 2017 04:40 hypercube wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2017 04:15 travis wrote:
Now I have 2 lists of elements, 1 of size (n-1)/2 and the other of size n/2.


One of these is not an integer.


hmm yeah that's true
what I really want is... uh.. the floor of (n-1)/2 .. I think. see above, lol

I expect the best way to solve this is to represent it with sums and then simplify them but I am not good enough
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18451 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-16 20:36:43
June 16 2017 20:36 GMT
#98
On June 17 2017 04:54 travis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2017 04:38 Acrofales wrote:
Not sure I understand the question. Would this be how you do it for n=100:
100
2*50
4* 25
8*12 (and 4*1 which we discard)
16*6
32*3
32*2 (and 32*1 which we discard)

So 95 in total?

If so, approximately n/2 + n/4 + ... ~= n

A precise answer is harder, because you need to know how many times you end up with an odd number of elements in your list. There's almost certainly a numerical way of figuring that out, but I'm lazy right now.


well, for n = 100

100
50 , 49
25, 24 24, 24

12, 12, 11, 12, 11, 12, 11, 12
5, 6, 5, 6, 5, 5, 5, 6, 5, 5, 5, 6, 5, 5, 5, 6
2, 2, - oh god there is a lot, u get the idea
it would stop at all 1s and 2s but the 1s don't count
and what I want is the count of EVERY list of length > 1, including the original list and the lists in every step


Show nested quote +
On June 17 2017 04:40 hypercube wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:15 travis wrote:
Now I have 2 lists of elements, 1 of size (n-1)/2 and the other of size n/2.


One of these is not an integer.


hmm yeah that's true
what I really want is... uh.. the floor of (n-1)/2 .. I think. see above, lol

I expect the best way to solve this is to represent it with sums and then simplify them but I am not good enough

Oh, ok. That seems incomplete. The 6s would expand to 3, 2, right? And what would then happen? It ends there? Seems like a weird algorithm.

I thought I had a simple solution, but it breaks if any list in your subdivisions has length equal to a power of 2 (that adds 1, which can occur at different points in the tree). So doesn't work, and given the weirdness of your algorithm, I'm not sure there's an easy way of figuring out how often you'll run into a power of 2.
hypercube
Profile Joined April 2010
Hungary2735 Posts
June 16 2017 20:39 GMT
#99
Did you try some numerical experiments?

Are you interested in an exact expression or only asymptotic behaviour? The second one seems to be just on the order of n.
"Sending people in rockets to other planets is a waste of money better spent on sending rockets into people on this planet."
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12016 Posts
June 16 2017 20:42 GMT
#100
On June 17 2017 04:53 Amanebak wrote:
Hey.
I stumbled across a problem like this:

What is the longest gondola that can take a right-angle turn of a Venetian canal? The width of the canal is 2, respectively 3 length units before, resp. after the turn.

I apologize for my English.


Unless i missed something, the result is 5*sqrt(2).

The gondola needs to be able fit into the diagonal of the (2+3)*(2+3) square, which has a length of 5 sqrt (2)

At that point, 2sqrt(2) of the gondola is in the thinner canal, and 3sqrt(2) is in the thicker canal. It is obvious that no longer gondola could reach as far into the 3m canal if you draw a picture of the situation, and the 5sqrt(2) gondola can continue onwards from this point on.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 30 31 32 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
RotterdaM524
TaKeTV 189
IndyStarCraft 95
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 1860
RotterdaM 524
ByuN 231
MaxPax 99
IndyStarCraft 95
BRAT_OK 73
UpATreeSC 14
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3733
Shuttle 881
Stork 372
Mini 324
Rush 298
EffOrt 294
Horang2 244
actioN 240
Mind 155
Mong 110
[ Show more ]
910 82
hero 64
Zeus 63
Dewaltoss 62
Snow 54
Barracks 49
Shinee 46
JYJ 37
sorry 29
Bale 26
ToSsGirL 23
HiyA 23
Killer 19
Terrorterran 17
Sexy 15
zelot 10
Sacsri 9
scan(afreeca) 9
Dota 2
Gorgc5779
qojqva2637
Counter-Strike
fl0m4518
Fnx 690
Other Games
singsing2359
Beastyqt599
ceh9480
Hui .220
XaKoH 154
Trikslyr73
QueenE51
Chillindude24
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV175
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 23
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 33
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur268
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
6h 16m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 16m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
18h 16m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
Patches Events
1d 23h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.