• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:44
CEST 18:44
KST 01:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6438 users

The Math Thread - Page 4

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 30 31 32 Next All
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17847 Posts
June 11 2017 18:03 GMT
#61
On June 11 2017 09:08 thePunGun wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 11 2017 08:04 Biolunar wrote:
On June 11 2017 04:48 CecilSunkure wrote:
On June 11 2017 04:32 Biolunar wrote:
On June 10 2017 23:39 Silvanel wrote:
In reality the roll of dice or throw of a coin is perfectly deterministic.
Is it? Quatum mechanics say otherwise. You cannot now the position of every particle exactly or you change the outcome of the experiment.

That doesn't mean it's not deterministic. It just means we can't know all of the initial state.

Hence it is not deterministic.

Einstein's special relativity disagrees with you, spacetime and every aspect of our universe are entirely predetermined.

Edit:
You also might wanna reevaluate your point about quantum mechanics, "every quantum state can be represented as a sum of two or more other distinct states" and "the result will be another valid quantum state". (Source: Quantum Superposition)


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace's_demon
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
ShoCkeyy
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
7815 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-11 20:39:34
June 11 2017 20:11 GMT
#62
I'm currently a web dev, who has moved into analytics, data science, and usability. My next stop in my career is eventually aerospace. I'm looking to get back into some general math courses as a refresher. Any thoughts I where I should start? I've been looking into QPL (Quantum Programming Languages), and find that interesting as well. I'm currently in the position where I might be able to go to a University for free, and I would like to eventually pivot my career. I feel like a general refresher from the beginning would help, I know khan academy has a few courses, any thoughts on where to start from there?
Life?
fishjie
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1519 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-12 20:07:08
June 12 2017 19:48 GMT
#63
On June 12 2017 03:03 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 11 2017 09:08 thePunGun wrote:
On June 11 2017 08:04 Biolunar wrote:
On June 11 2017 04:48 CecilSunkure wrote:
On June 11 2017 04:32 Biolunar wrote:
On June 10 2017 23:39 Silvanel wrote:
In reality the roll of dice or throw of a coin is perfectly deterministic.
Is it? Quatum mechanics say otherwise. You cannot now the position of every particle exactly or you change the outcome of the experiment.

That doesn't mean it's not deterministic. It just means we can't know all of the initial state.

Hence it is not deterministic.

Einstein's special relativity disagrees with you, spacetime and every aspect of our universe are entirely predetermined.

Edit:
You also might wanna reevaluate your point about quantum mechanics, "every quantum state can be represented as a sum of two or more other distinct states" and "the result will be another valid quantum state". (Source: Quantum Superposition)


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace's_demon


Linked this one earlier:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunrise_problem

The question is whether or not we can induce events we have not seen yet based on past events (by coming up with deterministic laws governing physics). So at best, you can achieve a near 100% probability.

Also related:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_induction

For example, Newton used induction to come up with his laws of motion based on astronomy data collected by tycho brahe. He stated in Principia that the laws that govern these can be generalized to all objects -
"In this experimental philosophy, propositions are deduced from the phenomena and are made general by induction. The impenetrability, mobility, and impetus of bodies and the laws of motion and law of gravity have been found by this method. And it is enough that gravity should really exist and should act according to the laws that we have set forth and should suffice for all the motions of the heavenly bodies and of our sea."

In other words, he observed the orbits of the planets, extracted out the laws of motion, and said they applied for everything. Its a big jump. So although the physical laws that humans have come up with are deterministic and have been verified empirically, you cannot know with 100% certainty that they apply deterministically to everything in the universe, because we have not observed everything in the universe. For a contrived example, if we are living in a simulation, and some coder changes some variables, then the laws of motion could change tomorrow. Or consider dark matter/ dark energy, from what I understand, our current laws of physics cannot describe the phenomenon we are seeing, so those laws don't apply to a vast majority of the universe.
Mafe
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany5966 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-12 20:59:02
June 12 2017 20:57 GMT
#64
When this thread was created, I had high hopes. Now this discussion has been interesting so far, but imho it not so much mathematics, but more physics/general science principles, mixed with some philosophical consequences.

Maybe I'm having a narrow view of mathematics, but maybe I dont and it is also time for a "physics Thread".

edit: Also unfortunately I dont know much about mathematics literature for non-mathematicians.
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-12 21:23:50
June 12 2017 21:23 GMT
#65
Literature for mathematicians is perfectly fine. This is the math thread after all.

E: Also I vote to start banning goons coming in here to talk philosophy. It's annoying and pointless for a math thread.
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
June 12 2017 22:49 GMT
#66
--- Nuked ---
fishjie
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1519 Posts
June 12 2017 22:57 GMT
#67
On June 13 2017 06:23 CecilSunkure wrote:
Literature for mathematicians is perfectly fine. This is the math thread after all.

E: Also I vote to start banning goons coming in here to talk philosophy. It's annoying and pointless for a math thread.


A large chunk of computer science is based on discrete math, whose underpinnings are the same as philosophy. Famous philosophers such as Bertrand Russel and Descartes had huge contributions to mathematics. The overlap is real.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
June 12 2017 22:57 GMT
#68
Threads existed for 3 days
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
June 12 2017 23:38 GMT
#69
On June 13 2017 07:57 fishjie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 13 2017 06:23 CecilSunkure wrote:
Literature for mathematicians is perfectly fine. This is the math thread after all.

E: Also I vote to start banning goons coming in here to talk philosophy. It's annoying and pointless for a math thread.


A large chunk of computer science is based on discrete math, whose underpinnings are the same as philosophy. Famous philosophers such as Bertrand Russel and Descartes had huge contributions to mathematics. The overlap is real.


Sure overlap is real. Real annoying. Just open a new thread

Also I'm sure nobody would mind if the philosophy discussion was actually related to some real math discussion. But like 99% of the time that won't be the case.
Mr. Wiggles
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada5894 Posts
June 13 2017 04:13 GMT
#70
Anyone have suggestions for (introductory/intermediate) books/open courses related to functional analysis?

I started to follow along with a course from Coursera a few years ago, but didn't really stick with it. I've done a bunch of undergraduate level calculus/algebra courses, but never really got into analysis. Seems like it would be interesting to learn

RE: The recent discussion, who volunteers to start the epistemology thread? Seems like that's almost what people want, haha
you gotta dance
Lebesgue
Profile Joined October 2008
4542 Posts
June 13 2017 05:21 GMT
#71
On June 13 2017 13:13 Mr. Wiggles wrote:
Anyone have suggestions for (introductory/intermediate) books/open courses related to functional analysis?

I started to follow along with a course from Coursera a few years ago, but didn't really stick with it. I've done a bunch of undergraduate level calculus/algebra courses, but never really got into analysis. Seems like it would be interesting to learn

RE: The recent discussion, who volunteers to start the epistemology thread? Seems like that's almost what people want, haha


Well, functional analysis is a rather advanced topic. Typically, when you study it, you will have under your belt both real analysis and complex analysis. To take the most out of it you will need measure theory. For this reason most of the books are pretty difficult to read.

Now, if your math background is not that strong (i.e., you are not math major) the best book I believe is "Introduction to Functional Analysis" by Kreyszig. Here is the link www.amazon.com

I think this is the only book prior knowledge of any analysis.

I have to say that functional analysis was always at the top of the things to learn, but at this point I think I will never have time to properly study it. It is really fascinating but complex subject.


AbouSV
Profile Joined October 2014
Germany1278 Posts
June 13 2017 12:41 GMT
#72
On June 13 2017 05:57 Mafe wrote:
When this thread was created, I had high hopes. Now this discussion has been interesting so far, but imho it not so much mathematics, but more physics/general science principles, mixed with some philosophical consequences.

Maybe I'm having a narrow view of mathematics, but maybe I dont and it is also time for a "physics Thread".

edit: Also unfortunately I dont know much about mathematics literature for non-mathematicians.


Please, no!
The ask and answer stupid question already derail often enough, there is no need for a dedicated thread for derailment
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17897 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-13 17:01:18
June 13 2017 16:43 GMT
#73
it is obvious and intuitive that multiplication and division are inverse mathematical operations. does any one have a simple 2 or 3 line intuitive way to summarize why differentiation and integration are inverse operations?

Onto Basketball.

i found a pretty good article on calculating Adjusted Plus/Minus for NBA players.
http://www.countthebasket.com/blog/2008/06/01/calculating-adjusted-plus-minus/

its gets its data from here.
http://basketballvalue.com/index.php
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
Ingvar
Profile Joined April 2015
Russian Federation421 Posts
June 13 2017 18:03 GMT
#74
On June 13 2017 13:13 Mr. Wiggles wrote:
Anyone have suggestions for (introductory/intermediate) books/open courses related to functional analysis?

I started to follow along with a course from Coursera a few years ago, but didn't really stick with it. I've done a bunch of undergraduate level calculus/algebra courses, but never really got into analysis. Seems like it would be interesting to learn

RE: The recent discussion, who volunteers to start the epistemology thread? Seems like that's almost what people want, haha


IMHO, a good introduction book to functional analysis is Rudin's Functional Analysis. I should note that it is a good book to study functional analysis; it is really useful to have at least basic understanding of linear algebra, real and complex analysis, and topology beforehand to understand the motivation behind the theory.

On the other hand, I've heard good things about Introductory Functional Analysis with Applications by Erwin Kreyszig for people who look for applications. I haven't read it myself though.
MMA | Life | Classic | Happy | Team Empire | Team Spirit
Oshuy
Profile Joined September 2011
Netherlands529 Posts
June 13 2017 18:11 GMT
#75
On June 14 2017 01:43 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
it is obvious and intuitive that multiplication and division are inverse mathematical operations. does any one have a simple 2 or 3 line intuitive way to summarize why differentiation and integration are inverse operations?


You have a description in en.wikipedia.org :

Intuitively, the theorem simply states that the sum of infinitesimal changes in a quantity over time (or over some other variable) adds up to the net change in the quantity.

Coooot
Poopi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France13022 Posts
June 13 2017 18:53 GMT
#76
On June 14 2017 01:43 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
it is obvious and intuitive that multiplication and division are inverse mathematical operations. does any one have a simple 2 or 3 line intuitive way to summarize why differentiation and integration are inverse operations?

Onto Basketball.

i found a pretty good article on calculating Adjusted Plus/Minus for NBA players.
http://www.countthebasket.com/blog/2008/06/01/calculating-adjusted-plus-minus/

its gets its data from here.
http://basketballvalue.com/index.php

I guess the physics example? Position -> speed -> acceleration
WriterMaru
Lebesgue
Profile Joined October 2008
4542 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-13 21:33:43
June 13 2017 19:03 GMT
#77
On June 14 2017 03:03 Ingvar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 13 2017 13:13 Mr. Wiggles wrote:
Anyone have suggestions for (introductory/intermediate) books/open courses related to functional analysis?

I started to follow along with a course from Coursera a few years ago, but didn't really stick with it. I've done a bunch of undergraduate level calculus/algebra courses, but never really got into analysis. Seems like it would be interesting to learn

RE: The recent discussion, who volunteers to start the epistemology thread? Seems like that's almost what people want, haha


IMHO, a good introduction book to functional analysis is Rudin's Functional Analysis. I should note that it is a good book to study functional analysis; it is really useful to have at least basic understanding of linear algebra, real and complex analysis, and topology beforehand to understand the motivation behind the theory.

On the other hand, I've heard good things about Introductory Functional Analysis with Applications by Erwin Kreyszig for people who look for applications. I haven't read it myself though.


I disagree about Rudin's Functional Analysis. This book targets graduate math audience. Unless you have really strong math background that includes Measure Theory, that's not the book to start. But at the graduate level it is a great book.

Beside Kreyszig that Ingvar and I mentioned in our posts, another introductory books aimed at people with modest backgrounds are "Functional Analyisis for Beginners" by Saxe, and "Elementary functional analysis" by MacCluer. I own the latter and I found it quite easy to follow if you have some background in analysis.

I should say that I self-study quite a bit of math and I often find that it is best to own a couple of books. Because invariably you will get stuck at some points. But since you are doing things on your own there is no professor or classmate to ask or help you clarify your confusion. So I found that the best is to have a couple sources to consult.
hypercube
Profile Joined April 2010
Hungary2735 Posts
June 13 2017 20:32 GMT
#78
On June 14 2017 01:43 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
it is obvious and intuitive that multiplication and division are inverse mathematical operations. does any one have a simple 2 or 3 line intuitive way to summarize why differentiation and integration are inverse operations?


It's a little difficult without drawing but here's my best attempt.

I'm guessing you're thinking about integrals as area under a curve. (Alternatively, you could think of it as the inverse of differentiation, which would make the question trivial) So the question is, if I'm looking at the area under a curve, why does it change exactly as fast as the height of the original curve?

Well, area is height * width, at least for rectangles. The slope of the area function (derivative of the integral function) is rise over run taken at smaller and smaller intervals. So it's (height * width) / width as long we take a small enough interval where the area under the original function, f(x) looks like a rectangle. Substituting f(x) for height, we get that the derivative of the integral at some value x is:

(height of f(x) * width) / width = f(x), that is the value of the original function. So differentiating the area function gives back the original function.

There's a number of small assumptions there that aren't necessary but omitting them would make the explanation even more complicated.
"Sending people in rockets to other planets is a waste of money better spent on sending rockets into people on this planet."
Mr. Wiggles
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada5894 Posts
June 14 2017 03:46 GMT
#79
Thanks for the recommendations, Lebesgue and Ingvar, I'll check them out!

I've got a bit of a weird math background, as I got three-ish years into a physics degree before switching into computer science and taking a few additional algebra courses that interested me. The end result is a mish-mash of different subjects, along with a bunch of implicit stuff that I learned in my non-math courses.
you gotta dance
AbouSV
Profile Joined October 2014
Germany1278 Posts
June 14 2017 09:22 GMT
#80
Oh, there is a TLer called Lebesgue.
He should be one of the best to talk about integrals then :p
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 30 31 32 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
RotterdaM524
TaKeTV 189
IndyStarCraft 95
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 1860
RotterdaM 524
ByuN 231
MaxPax 99
IndyStarCraft 95
BRAT_OK 73
UpATreeSC 14
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3733
Shuttle 881
Stork 372
Mini 324
Rush 298
EffOrt 294
Horang2 244
actioN 240
Mind 155
Mong 110
[ Show more ]
910 82
hero 64
Zeus 63
Dewaltoss 62
Snow 54
Barracks 49
Shinee 46
JYJ 37
sorry 29
Bale 26
ToSsGirL 23
HiyA 23
Killer 19
Terrorterran 17
Sexy 15
zelot 10
Sacsri 9
scan(afreeca) 9
Dota 2
Gorgc5779
qojqva2637
Counter-Strike
fl0m4518
Fnx 690
Other Games
singsing2359
Beastyqt599
ceh9480
Hui .220
XaKoH 154
Trikslyr73
QueenE51
Chillindude24
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV175
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 23
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 33
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur268
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
6h 16m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 16m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
18h 16m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
Patches Events
1d 23h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.