• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:27
CEST 22:27
KST 05:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7683 users

The Math Thread - Page 31

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 29 30 31 32 Next All
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46489 Posts
August 12 2019 18:23 GMT
#601
On August 13 2019 03:09 Starlightsun wrote:
Thanks DarkPlasmaBall. That's fascinating how many applications there are. I'm learning quadratics in algebra and just wondered what they're used to model.


No problem! After completing our quadratics unit, I always assign my Algebra 2 students a paper... to write about any application of quadratics that they want, based on their hobbies, interests, experiences, etc.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Starlightsun
Profile Blog Joined June 2016
United States1405 Posts
August 12 2019 21:42 GMT
#602
That's a great idea.
dragontattoo
Profile Joined July 2019
2 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-10-15 16:05:07
October 04 2019 13:11 GMT
#603
(143(5) + 67)5 ___________ 2
Discuss
A.
1950

B.
1955

C.
1956

D.
1953

2.
-(-(-)(-)(-10x))=-5 solve for x.
A.
X= 0.5

B.
X= 0.7 repeating

C.
X= -0.5

D.
X= 1

I think i can use Integral Calculator for solving such problems but still can any one slove this for me..
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18451 Posts
October 04 2019 13:34 GMT
#604
At least get your syntax right. Your first one is missing an = sign, and either brackets or a multiplication operator, in which case the answer is obvious, as the alternatives aren't interesting.

But more importantly, try solving them yourself and tell us where you get stuck, rather than asking us to do your homework.
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12017 Posts
October 04 2019 16:19 GMT
#605
Indeed. This is not a "we do your homework" thread.

And if the syntax were understandable, this mostly looks like 7th grade level of equation solving, inexplicably in the form of a multiple choice test.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46489 Posts
October 04 2019 23:04 GMT
#606
Sorry dragontattoo, but this isn't a homework forum and you've mistyped at least one math problem anyway. Please consider asking your math teacher for extra help; I'm sure they would want to know if you're unclear about any of the material you're learning in class. Good luck!
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12017 Posts
October 05 2019 09:34 GMT
#607
I'd also be willing to help here, if you first make some effort to solve the problems, and formulate more clearly where your problems understanding the subject are.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
November 08 2019 18:25 GMT
#608
Alright, could use some advice [statistics]

I am doing a data science project, it's a project of my choosing for my final project.

I am hypothesizing that there is official bias from some or all officials in NBA basketball, in the form of unfairly officiating certain games so that the underdog team is more likely to win. Essentially, referee corruption. A common claim among viewers of the NBA.

I've collected data from 2012-2018 seasons, I know what refs officiated which games, I know the quantity of fouls called and their types, and which teams they were called on. I have the pre-game moneylines for betting (the odds), so I can see which teams was the underdog and how big of an underdog they were. I also have the results of the game.

Now, I can visualize this data. I can find and point out discrepancies.

My question is, what is a good statistically sound method by which to best "prove" this bias? Something like a confidence %. I know this is a vague question, if more information is needed just ask and I will do my best to explain.
Mafe
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany5966 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-11-09 10:37:15
November 09 2019 10:36 GMT
#609
Well this sounds interesting, but I have some questions about the general idea first:

-Before you get to the rather complicated analysis of "underogs are more likely to win because of reason X", have you checked if the underdogs did in fact win more often then they should have? Because that's something you should be able to check with just the odds and results, and no further data. If your assumption of biased refs is right, you should notice a difference here. If not, well then I suppose even a more detailed analysis would be unlikely to show any ref bias.

-Quantity of fouls alone does not seem to be enough: I could imagine a lot of reasons why the better or the worse team might actually commit more fouls, and therefore and unbiased ref would correctly call more fouls one kind of teams. For example, while I'm no expert on basketball, the losing team seems to commit a lot of tactical fouls in the final minutes of the game when they think they still have a chance to win. Assuming the underdogs are more likely to be in a losing position, you might find out that the referees are more likely to call fouls on the underdogs. But it's not a sign of bias (against underdogs), it might just be a natural sign of how the games is being played.

-If you "only" consider fouls that were acutally called, you might not notice that "potential" bias also can show as non-calls of actual fouls. It seems to me that ideally you should have data of comparing actual fouls/non-fouls to calls/non-calls. Obviously, such data might be impossible to obtain however.

-Also no, even if referees are more likely to help the underdog, this does not automatically mean they are corrupt. It's a quite common thing that neutral tend to side with the underdogs in sports contests, and maybe referees are not immune to this either (on a subconscious level).
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18451 Posts
November 09 2019 13:40 GMT
#610
Another question: how do you even get the odds of a team winning? Betting odds aren't unbiased either. There are many things that go into sports gambling that have nothing to do with the team's chance of winning. So treating that as your ground truth for building a referee bias detector is questionable as well.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-11-09 15:44:02
November 09 2019 15:15 GMT
#611
On November 09 2019 19:36 Mafe wrote:
Well this sounds interesting, but I have some questions about the general idea first:

-Before you get to the rather complicated analysis of "underogs are more likely to win because of reason X", have you checked if the underdogs did in fact win more often then they should have? Because that's something you should be able to check with just the odds and results, and no further data. If your assumption of biased refs is right, you should notice a difference here. If not, well then I suppose even a more detailed analysis would be unlikely to show any ref bias.


Good question, I plan on investigating a bunch of stuff like that. And, even this question, "do the underdogs win more than they should", is a tough question to answer. I suppose expected value from betting on the winner every game should be roughly even money over the long term. Does that sound correct?



-Quantity of fouls alone does not seem to be enough: I could imagine a lot of reasons why the better or the worse team might actually commit more fouls, and therefore and unbiased ref would correctly call more fouls one kind of teams. For example, while I'm no expert on basketball, the losing team seems to commit a lot of tactical fouls in the final minutes of the game when they think they still have a chance to win. Assuming the underdogs are more likely to be in a losing position, you might find out that the referees are more likely to call fouls on the underdogs. But it's not a sign of bias (against underdogs), it might just be a natural sign of how the games is being played.


Really good point and a big mistake on my part to not even think about that. I don't watch basketball much these days but I've seen enough that this should have been a fairly obvious factor.

It will be a lot of work but I could tag fouls/violations with some kind of extra value that contains information on how far ahead or behind the fouling team is. Also, I do plan on tracking quarter of the game as well - I think 2nd half data or even 4th quarter data may end up being way more important than data from entire games.

Anyways this was a crucial thing to bring up, thanks.



-If you "only" consider fouls that were acutally called, you might not notice that "potential" bias also can show as non-calls of actual fouls. It seems to me that ideally you should have data of comparing actual fouls/non-fouls to calls/non-calls. Obviously, such data might be impossible to obtain however.


Man, I wish such data reliably existed. There is something called "the two minute report", and it does include no-calls. But sadly this data is only available for like 2017 onwards, and the report is only given for games where teams were within 3 points in the last two minutes. And the data is of course only for the last two minutes of the game.

But still, it might be a cool thing to take a look at.

But, I can at least compare actual calls on the winner vs expected calls on the winner (where expected in based on how many calls the losers opponents normally get, and how many calls the winner normally gets). Winner and loser would refer to the specific teams, not league averages, of course.



-Also no, even if referees are more likely to help the underdog, this does not automatically mean they are corrupt. It's a quite common thing that neutral tend to side with the underdogs in sports contests, and maybe referees are not immune to this either (on a subconscious level).


That's a valid point and I certainly was never going to explicitly say that anyone was corrupt (i'd avoid even using the word).

However I was thinking about this, and I think it's important that I don't just look at betting odds for "who will win", but also look at point spreads. It's harder to analyze, but tying foul/violation calls to a team beating a point spread could also be pretty interesting. Again, doesn't prove corruption, but I'm not reaaaally going to say that this is what I am trying to prove.


On November 09 2019 22:40 Acrofales wrote:
Another question: how do you even get the odds of a team winning? Betting odds aren't unbiased either. There are many things that go into sports gambling that have nothing to do with the team's chance of winning. So treating that as your ground truth for building a referee bias detector is questionable as well.


I found a good historical odds dataset for NBA, it has the opening and closing moneylines and point spread for 3 different betting websites.

You say betting odds aren't unbiased but I think they are by far the least biased estimator. They are certainly better than published statistical methods I've seen. I was considering also doing neural network prediction as well just for fun and comparing it to betting odds predictions.

But since you bring this up, it could be useful to measure just how good of a predictor the various types of betting odds are over my dataset and include this information.
Oukka
Profile Blog Joined September 2012
Finland1683 Posts
November 11 2019 10:40 GMT
#612
Very interesting project idea! The first thing I was thinking is a probit model, where you'd use betting odds and whatever else data you have as explanatory variables to study whether the underdog wins or loses. It is a fairly standard way to estimate models with binary variables (such as your win/loss). You could also see whether the possible bias is equally large in different sub samples of your data, whether it is the same for every team or is there a difference if the betting odds are close or far away? Or that one ref or another may favour underdogs more? There is always a risk of running into really small subsamples if you start doing this, tho. But all in all I'm going to throw a wild guess that even if there is some true underlying effect just studying the whole league at once is going to drown it out in noise, it will be probably more interesting to study whether the bias exists in different subsamples and whether it is different from one subsample to another.

I'll assume that by saying "prove" you already knew that there isn't a bog standard way of doing this, and you are going to have to regardless argue why your chosen methodology is valid and why it is better than some other methods. I know there is a fair bit of literature on football (soccer) betting in the UK, I'd say that might be a good starting place to see how betting odds are treated in and what kind of statistical models are used when working with them.
I play children's card games and watch a lot of dota, CS and HS
naughtDE
Profile Blog Joined May 2019
158 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-03-28 18:27:02
March 28 2020 18:22 GMT
#613
edit: NOTHING to see here, move along

Damn I am stupid :3
"I'll take [LET IT SNOW] for 800" - Sean Connery (Darrell Hammond)
Razyda
Profile Joined March 2013
1059 Posts
March 28 2020 22:04 GMT
#614
On November 09 2019 03:25 travis wrote:
Alright, could use some advice [statistics]

I am doing a data science project, it's a project of my choosing for my final project.

I am hypothesizing that there is official bias from some or all officials in NBA basketball, in the form of unfairly officiating certain games so that the underdog team is more likely to win. Essentially, referee corruption. A common claim among viewers of the NBA.

I've collected data from 2012-2018 seasons, I know what refs officiated which games, I know the quantity of fouls called and their types, and which teams they were called on. I have the pre-game moneylines for betting (the odds), so I can see which teams was the underdog and how big of an underdog they were. I also have the results of the game.

Now, I can visualize this data. I can find and point out discrepancies.

My question is, what is a good statistically sound method by which to best "prove" this bias? Something like a confidence %. I know this is a vague question, if more information is needed just ask and I will do my best to explain.


May I know how you got along with this? sounds interesting.
mahrgell
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany3943 Posts
April 14 2020 08:57 GMT
#615
John Horton Conway, to many known due to the Game of Life, but generally a great contributor in game theory and other mathmatical fields has passed away on Saturday due to Corona

[image loading]
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12017 Posts
April 14 2020 13:58 GMT
#616
You should probably credit XKCD when reposting a comic from there.
HelpMeGetBetter
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
United States766 Posts
May 05 2020 13:22 GMT
#617
How difficult would it be to create a manual ladder ranking system similar to SC2 in excel? What would the logic look like behind each win/loss?
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12017 Posts
May 05 2020 13:28 GMT
#618
Depends on your goals for that system. Just having "a system" isn't hard. The winner gets one point, the loser loses on. This obviously has a lot of flaws.

So figure out exactly what you want, once you can formulate that clearly, you should be able to figure out how to design a system based on that.

Or read up on other rating systems, and try to understand why they are designed the way they are. Probably starting at the chess Elo rating.
naughtDE
Profile Blog Joined May 2019
158 Posts
August 04 2020 13:53 GMT
#619
Any book recommendations for thoroughly self-studying topology?

I don't mind expensive books, I don't mind dry books. One of my favorite books that tried to teach me something is Stephen Prata's C Primer Plus. I like books because authors put more effort into compilating material. Maybe some maths profs on TL here want to recommend their own book on the topic? Most important to me are clearness and straight forwardness in expression.

Any book recommendations for self-studying operations research?
__________________
I don't mind expensive...
"I'll take [LET IT SNOW] for 800" - Sean Connery (Darrell Hammond)
Ciaus_Dronu
Profile Joined June 2017
South Africa1848 Posts
August 04 2020 14:14 GMT
#620
On August 04 2020 22:53 naughtDE wrote:
Any book recommendations for thoroughly self-studying topology?

I don't mind expensive books, I don't mind dry books. One of my favorite books that tried to teach me something is Stephen Prata's C Primer Plus. I like books because authors put more effort into compilating material. Maybe some maths profs on TL here want to recommend their own book on the topic? Most important to me are clearness and straight forwardness in expression.

Any book recommendations for self-studying operations research?
__________________
I don't mind expensive...


From what I've heard, James R Munkres 'Topology' is a great textbook.
I haven't read it, but my experience of his writing in 'Analysis on Manifolds' has been wonderful, he's very clear and insightful.
Prev 1 29 30 31 32 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 1487
RotterdaM1013
TaKeTV 398
IndyStarCraft 214
SteadfastSC193
ZombieGrub100
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 1487
RotterdaM 1013
MaxPax 227
IndyStarCraft 214
SteadfastSC 193
RuFF_SC2 130
ZombieGrub100
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2612
Shuttle 445
910 62
Mind 61
Bale 13
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1115
Fnx 695
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu847
Other Games
summit1g5175
Grubby2814
shahzam491
mouzStarbuck206
C9.Mang0189
ToD99
UpATreeSC55
Beastyqt11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV256
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream25
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 202
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 30
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2331
League of Legends
• TFBlade523
Other Games
• imaqtpie884
• Shiphtur252
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
2h 33m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 33m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
14h 33m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 3h
Patches Events
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.