• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:09
CEST 16:09
KST 23:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8709 users

The Math Thread - Page 25

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 27 32 Next All
Rodya
Profile Joined January 2018
546 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-02-22 00:18:15
February 22 2019 00:05 GMT
#481
Okay, I see what you were doing. Notice that x*sech^2(w^T x) is a vector - this is what you're saying is the gradient of f in this other problem. And that is indeed the correct answer.

Now going back to the original problem, let me just write the answer so you can see the differences: (1/2)(sum from i to m)x^(i)(w^Tx^(i)-y^(i)) / |w^Tx^(i)-y^(i)|. Apologies for misreading your answer. You are using some shortcuts to calculate the whole gradient at once. Which is fine, but I wasn't expecting it.

Let me give you a quick calculus review. So, the output of f(w) is a number (it looks like a loss function). However, f(w) is a multivariable function, it has as many variables as there are elements in w. Now, I'm assuming that w is a vector, not a matrix, although it definitely could be, lets assume for now that it is a vector. You talk about the derivative of f with respect to w, however think about the function g(z) = z_1+2z_2+3z_3 where z=(z_1, z_2,z_3) is some vector. Now you probably can guess that the 'derivative' of g is equal to (1,2,3), but strictly speaking, you can only take a derivative with respect to a single dimensional variable (i.e. something that varies over the real numbers and therefore isnt a vector). Thus we can't calculate dg/dz, we can only calculate dg/dz_1, dg/dz_2, and dg/dz_3. So we simply DEFINE dg/dz to be the VECTOR (dg/dz_1, dg/dz_2, dg/dz_3), which you can easily check is equal to (1,2,3). Similarly, the derivative of f(w) is defined to be the vector (df/dw_1, ..., df/dw_D). You can check your work and see that the answer I gave you can be found using either your method or the method of partial derivatives. I'm actually lying a bit to you here, but it's very useful (and I'm sure your teacher expects you) to think of the derivative of g/f this way. It will help to demystify some of your derivations and let you check your work using basic calculus.

Earlier you mentioned that you were anxious about taking derivatives of matrices - so since you've mentioned it again, let me briefly justify the fact that d/dw (w^T x) = x. Let x be an arbitrary matrix, then we can think of it as a linear transformation that maps vectors w to xw. Therefore, if we denote that linear transformation by f(w), we have f(w) = xw. Now, a derivative is supposed to be the best linear approximation of a function at each point. But a linear transformation is linear everywhere, so it is ITSELF the best linear approximation to ITSELF at every point. Thus the best linear approximation (i.e. the derivative) of f(w) is x. So d/dw(f(w)) = x. Hopefully it gives you some peace of mind at least, even if it isn't a rigorous argument.
Banned for saying "zerg players are by far the biggest whiners in sc2 history" despite the fact that this forum is full of such posts about Terrans. Foreigner Elitists in control!
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
February 22 2019 00:09 GMT
#482
how are you so nice here when you're so mean to foreign pros in power rankings

just teasing, thanks for all the responses. I'll check this out closely when I am done with dinner.
Rodya
Profile Joined January 2018
546 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-02-22 00:17:18
February 22 2019 00:13 GMT
#483
Oh, and you asked about whether since x^(i) is a vector, that x is a matrix. You haven't defined x yet, I have no clue what it is. It's possible that in your book, the notation used is that x^(i) is the i'th column or row of x. If that is the case, then x would be a matrix. If your book does not use that notation though, then x isn't anything - it is undefined, so don't think about it and don't let it appear in your derivations unless you define it first.

edit: I'm an enigma.
Banned for saying "zerg players are by far the biggest whiners in sc2 history" despite the fact that this forum is full of such posts about Terrans. Foreigner Elitists in control!
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
February 22 2019 23:02 GMT
#484
I solved the last two derivatives on my own... they were horrible and long but they used the same concepts.

In other news, I am being forced to turn my homework in using latex, and it includes graphs and stuff. This does not seem worth it, it is making my homework take SOOOO long to do, and I expect that people outside of academia don't really end up using this so I am not sure why the professor wouldn't let us write it on a damn piece of paper
Rodya
Profile Joined January 2018
546 Posts
February 23 2019 00:52 GMT
#485
If your professor is okay with it, you can cut down the time it takes to put graphs in the document by using snipping tool (or screen shot) to take a picture of the graph, then use \includegraphics{mypicture.png} to insert the graph crudely into the doc. You can also manually adjust the size of the picture.

You gotta include \usepackage{graphicx} in the preamble though to do that.

Also, http://detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html is your best friend. Just draw any symbol and it will tell you how to make it, and if you need a special package to do so.
Banned for saying "zerg players are by far the biggest whiners in sc2 history" despite the fact that this forum is full of such posts about Terrans. Foreigner Elitists in control!
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
February 23 2019 01:35 GMT
#486
that symbol classifier - whoever made that is a hero
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18453 Posts
February 23 2019 01:47 GMT
#487
Latex is great. Drawing graphs with latex is absurd. Just use whatever and include them as images. Tikz is awesome for making pretty diagrams, but there are much better and easier ways of drawing graphs.

Yes, nobody outside of (computer) science uses it, but you're being the trained as a computer scientist, so I don't see the problem with learning it. We had to learn it in 1st year CS, and once you get the hang of it, you'll never want to use Word again ever.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-02-23 01:50:18
February 23 2019 01:49 GMT
#488
Well I don't use word either(unless I am forced to), I just write stuff on paper and then scan it to pdf. As long as the handwriting is legible I can't imagine latex being superior to that, but maybe I am wrong?

I suppose I would want it for publishing any papers, though...
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18453 Posts
February 23 2019 09:58 GMT
#489
On February 23 2019 10:49 travis wrote:
Well I don't use word either(unless I am forced to), I just write stuff on paper and then scan it to pdf. As long as the handwriting is legible I can't imagine latex being superior to that, but maybe I am wrong?

I suppose I would want it for publishing any papers, though...

"As long as the handwriting is legible" is the key point there, though. Remember that your professor is going to have to correct and grade this work for everybody in your class, not just you.
Mr. Wiggles
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada5894 Posts
February 23 2019 18:10 GMT
#490
LaTeX is one of my hidden shames, since I use it quite a bit but have never actually spent the time to sit down and learn how it really works. In that sense, a lot of it is 'magic' to me since I mostly know the proper rituals and incantations but would have a hard time rebuilding my collection of useful patterns from scratch.

For graphs (if we're talking figures) I've never used LaTeX directly. I usually use gnuplot (ugly) and then include the PNG into the LaTeX document. There's much nicer graphing libraries out there, I've just never spent the time to find them.

For drawing graphs (if we're talking graph-theory) I've mostly used the Tikz library, as mentioned. I found the Tikz automata library very useful for drawing things like DFAs, NFAs, etc. in courses that required it.

In some math electives I took I ended up using LaTeX for all the coursework. The profs seemed to appreciate it, and I found that it actually cut down on the writing time overall.
you gotta dance
neptunusfisk
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
2286 Posts
February 23 2019 23:19 GMT
#491
On February 24 2019 03:10 Mr. Wiggles wrote:
I usually use gnuplot (ugly) and then include the PNG into the LaTeX document.


Gnuplot can export to vectorised formats...
maru G5L pls
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
February 26 2019 16:12 GMT
#492
I wanted to verify a true or false section on my homework that I did, it's abstract algebra groups. I just want to make sure I am understanding this stuff correctly. Note that the * denotes that the set does not contain 0

T/F:

1.) Q(under addition) us a subgroup of R (under addition): true

2.) R* (under addition) is a subgroup of R (under addition): false (no identity in R*)

3.) R* (under multiplication) us a subgroup of R (with addition): false (they need to be same operation right?)

4.) {1,-1} (under multiplication) is a subgroup of R* (under multiplication): true

5.): {2^k : k in Z} (under multiplication) is a subgroup of Q* (under multiplication): false (no zero in Q* so no inverse for 2^k... am I understanding that right?)

Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18453 Posts
February 26 2019 16:45 GMT
#493
5) seems true to me. look at it again, but the lack of 0 doesn't matter.
mahrgell
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany3943 Posts
February 26 2019 17:20 GMT
#494
At first glance I would also consider 3 true.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18453 Posts
February 26 2019 17:29 GMT
#495
On February 27 2019 02:20 mahrgell wrote:
At first glance I would also consider 3 true.

While I can't remember the exact definition of a subgroup, so maybe it just isn't even defined properly if the operators are different. But mostly R* doesn't have 0, so doesn't have the ident for addition, and thus is not a group with addition, and therefore also not a subgroup.
mahrgell
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany3943 Posts
February 26 2019 17:45 GMT
#496
On February 27 2019 02:29 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2019 02:20 mahrgell wrote:
At first glance I would also consider 3 true.

While I can't remember the exact definition of a subgroup, so maybe it just isn't even defined properly if the operators are different. But mostly R* doesn't have 0, so doesn't have the ident for addition, and thus is not a group with addition, and therefore also not a subgroup.

For the multiplication the 1 is the same as the 0 for the addition.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18453 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-02-26 17:57:15
February 26 2019 17:52 GMT
#497
On February 27 2019 02:45 mahrgell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2019 02:29 Acrofales wrote:
On February 27 2019 02:20 mahrgell wrote:
At first glance I would also consider 3 true.

While I can't remember the exact definition of a subgroup, so maybe it just isn't even defined properly if the operators are different. But mostly R* doesn't have 0, so doesn't have the ident for addition, and thus is not a group with addition, and therefore also not a subgroup.

For the multiplication the 1 is the same as the 0 for the addition.

Yes... so?

A group is not a subgroup of an other just because it is a group and the elements are a subset. It has to include the identity.


And googling it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subgroup

Including the identity is not enough either, it definitely needs to be a group under the same operator, so can't simply redefine the group operator in the subgroup. So (3) fails on both those points.
mahrgell
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany3943 Posts
February 26 2019 18:55 GMT
#498
On February 27 2019 02:52 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2019 02:45 mahrgell wrote:
On February 27 2019 02:29 Acrofales wrote:
On February 27 2019 02:20 mahrgell wrote:
At first glance I would also consider 3 true.

While I can't remember the exact definition of a subgroup, so maybe it just isn't even defined properly if the operators are different. But mostly R* doesn't have 0, so doesn't have the ident for addition, and thus is not a group with addition, and therefore also not a subgroup.

For the multiplication the 1 is the same as the 0 for the addition.

Yes... so?

A group is not a subgroup of an other just because it is a group and the elements are a subset. It has to include the identity.


And googling it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subgroup

Including the identity is not enough either, it definitely needs to be a group under the same operator, so can't simply redefine the group operator in the subgroup. So (3) fails on both those points.



At least we learned a more theoretical version, where it is enough to be isomorph to a subgroup (by the your/wiki definition) of supposed supergroup to be considered a subgroup in a group theoretical point of view.
How you name your elements and ops really doesn't matter then. And then obviously your isomorphism images the identity of one group onto the identity of the other group.

Now there is a trivial isomorphism (ln(x)) between (R+\{0}, *) and (R,+).

This is in fact, what led me to my initial thought. But at least right now, I can't expand this to {R\{0},*}. Which leads me to believe that this is indeed false, just for very different reasons.


Melliflue
Profile Joined October 2012
United Kingdom1389 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-02-26 19:02:54
February 26 2019 18:58 GMT
#499
I think (3) is highlighting the issue about the operator and not the identity (Travis is correct, different operator so not a subgroup). Needing the identity was the purpose of example (2).

(5) is true and I don't know where the confusion came from. The lack of zero in Q* is irrelevant. The inverse for 2^k is 2^(-k) so you are fine when k ranges over Z.

Edit: To the above, being isomorphic to a subgroup is not the same as being a subgroup. There are times when the distinction is not important so we treat isomorphic subgroups as subgroups (mathematicians are often lazy like that). Sometimes however it can cause problems and it is important to remember they are different.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
February 27 2019 02:13 GMT
#500
ah right, the identity in 5.) is 1.. not 0. the confusion was that I was thinking 2^0 = 1 .. temporarily forgetting that the member of my group is 2^k, not k. if that confuses you don't worry about it, my thinking clearly didn't make sense. glad I posted them though!
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 27 32 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech122
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5770
Bisu 2899
Jaedong 1091
Horang2 578
EffOrt 524
Mini 402
actioN 333
Larva 273
ZerO 230
ggaemo 206
[ Show more ]
Yoon 107
Shinee 99
Mind 95
Pusan 86
hero 74
Dewaltoss 63
Snow 63
Hyun 62
Sharp 61
Bale 48
Barracks 46
sorry 40
ToSsGirL 35
Sacsri 19
Trap 19
scan(afreeca) 17
NaDa 13
Rock 12
zelot 11
Noble 9
Terrorterran 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Icarus 7
Dota 2
Gorgc4765
qojqva2275
Dendi1211
Counter-Strike
Fnx 6
Other Games
olofmeister1360
hiko939
B2W.Neo706
Lowko365
crisheroes300
DeMusliM278
XBOCT232
Pyrionflax213
Liquid`VortiX186
Livibee184
Hui .177
QueenE87
Mew2King52
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 49
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 14
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV670
League of Legends
• Jankos2091
• Nemesis2051
• TFBlade595
Other Games
• Shiphtur63
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
9h 51m
Patches Events
1d 1h
The PondCast
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 20h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.