• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:19
CEST 09:19
KST 16:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8916 users

The Math Thread - Page 20

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 32 Next All
Kleinmuuhg
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Vanuatu4091 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-07 21:55:58
September 07 2018 21:39 GMT
#381
yes , 12 over 4 is 495 which is correct

and a hint at the solution for #3 would be
(Possibilities of mixing A,C,D,Es )* (Possibilities of distributing 3 Bs in between 8 other letters)
Where the latter part works exactly the same as in #2
This is our town, scrub
enigmaticcam
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States280 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-07 22:20:58
September 07 2018 22:20 GMT
#382
On July 17 2018 04:24 Kleinmuuhg wrote:
Edit: Okay Im not typing this, sorry.
Hope you can read my scribbling Not sure why our results are different for 3.
If you have any questions, please ask and I can elaborate more if needed.


Oh btw, I wanted to say thanks again for this. It helped me solve a few more problems so I think I finally have a good understanding of it.
Kleinmuuhg
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Vanuatu4091 Posts
September 08 2018 06:53 GMT
#383
On September 08 2018 07:20 enigmaticcam wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2018 04:24 Kleinmuuhg wrote:
Edit: Okay Im not typing this, sorry.
Hope you can read my scribbling Not sure why our results are different for 3.
If you have any questions, please ask and I can elaborate more if needed.


Oh btw, I wanted to say thanks again for this. It helped me solve a few more problems so I think I finally have a good understanding of it.

Very glad to hear
This is our town, scrub
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
September 09 2018 02:26 GMT
#384
Alright, it's been a bit but im back. I imagine I did quite poorly on the homework since I did not know how to do these.

Had to use purely math by the way. No computers lol

for #1, I think all of you were right about your criticisms.
for #2, I couldn't use dynamic programming! but klein, your way of thinking about it is brilliant. It's kind of how I approached it, but I ended up doing it.. a little wrong. I didn't conceptualize it as clearly as you did.

for #3, does anyone have a mathematical explanation? I did it wrong anyways, I saw Acrofales post and have a lot of faith in him so I approached it like that even though my brain was telling me the problem was different. I was low in time, lol. I am a bit behind in my classes I am going to have to stop focusing on side projects or im gonna get creamed in midterms.
raNazUra
Profile Joined December 2012
United States10 Posts
September 09 2018 03:37 GMT
#385
On September 09 2018 11:26 travis wrote:
Alright, it's been a bit but im back. I imagine I did quite poorly on the homework since I did not know how to do these.

Had to use purely math by the way. No computers lol

for #1, I think all of you were right about your criticisms.
for #2, I couldn't use dynamic programming! but klein, your way of thinking about it is brilliant. It's kind of how I approached it, but I ended up doing it.. a little wrong. I didn't conceptualize it as clearly as you did.

for #3, does anyone have a mathematical explanation? I did it wrong anyways, I saw Acrofales post and have a lot of faith in him so I approached it like that even though my brain was telling me the problem was different. I was low in time, lol. I am a bit behind in my classes I am going to have to stop focusing on side projects or im gonna get creamed in midterms.


For #3 I'd definitely recommend looking at Klein's hint above. Basically, the recommendation is to count the number of possible words by saying: "When generating a word, I will first choose the positions of the Bs, and then I will choose the order of the remaining letters and fill them into the open spaces". The important things you have to ask when doing a constructive argument like this are:

- Am I not overgenerating? That is, can I generate the same word twice in two different ways and thereby end up counting it twice?
- Am I not undergenerating? That is, are there some valid words that my method won't generate, and thus won't be counted?
- In this case, where there's multiple steps, are the steps independent? If not, you can't multiply them together to get the final count.

If you can convince yourself of these three things, then it simply becomes
(number of ways to place the Bs) * (orderings of the remaining letters)
The first is an identical problem to #2, and the second is a more straightforward calculation.
+ Show Spoiler +
If I'm not too rusty, it should be (8 choose 4) * (4 choose 2) * (2 choose 1)
Speak the truth, even if your voice shakes
Day_Walker
Profile Joined December 2013
104 Posts
September 09 2018 04:06 GMT
#386
If you want to have another crack at #3 yourself, just read raNazUra's post.
If you get stuck, here's the mathematical solution I wrote up for #2 and #3.

Before jumping into the details of the problems, let me go over the "stars and bars" idea.
Imagine I have 3 stars * and 2 buckets [], and I want to count how many ways I can put the stars in the buckets.
Our example is tiny, so we can just draw pictures of all the possiblities:
[***] []
[**] [*]
[*] [**]
[] [***]

Now the key idea is to ignore the buckets themselves, and focus on the divisions between the buckets, which we can draw with a bar |. Using bars instead of buckets, our pictures look like this:
***|
**|*
*|**
|***

2 buckets means 1 division/bar, and we still have the 3 stars, so there are (3+1) choose 1 possibilities.

If we change the scenario to have 3 buckets, then there will be 2 divisions/bars.
Now our pictures look like *|*|* or *||** or |***|, and there are (3+2) choose 2 possibilites.

In general if we have N stars and M buckets, then our pictures will have N stars and M-1 bars, and there are (N+M-1) choose (M-1) of these. (Equivalently, N+M-1 choose N.)

------------------------------------

OK, now let's use this idea for problem #2:

We know the string will have 4 ones, and then we can imagine 5 "buckets" where we can put the 11 zeroes:
[ ] 1 [ ] 1 [ ] 1 [ ] 1 [ ] <--- 11x 0s need to go in

To avoid consecutive ones, it is necessary and sufficient to put a zero in each of the middle 3 buckets:
[ ] 1 [0] 1 [0] 1 [0] 1 [ ] <--- 8x 0s need to go in

The remaining 0s can go into the buckets without any restrictions. We just need to count the number of ways to distribute 8 things in 5 buckets. Using our result above, there are 12 choose 4 = 495 possibilities. For example, one possiblity for putting in the 8x 0s is 00||0|00|000, which produces 001010010001000 when combined with the 1s and 0s we already placed. So, there are 495 of these binary strings.

------------------------------------

On to problem #3:

First let's just worry about consecutive Bs, and ignore the distinction between A, C, D, E by saying we just have 8 other undetermined ? letters for now. So we have 3x Bs and 8x ?s, and we can apply the method from problem #2:
[ ] B [?] B [?] B [ ] <--- 6x ?s need to go in

There are (6+3) choose 3 = 84 possiblities.

Now for each of the 84 possibilities, we need to turn the 8 ?s into ACDEs. For example, ??B??B??B?? could turn into AABAABCCBDE. There are 8! ways to do this ignoring duplicates, which we can account for by dividing out 4! * 2! * 1! * 1! (because of 4 As, 2 Cs, 1 D, 1 E). So we get 840 distinct words from each of the 84 possiblities.

One last thing, we need to ask ourselves if 2 different possibilities could produce the same word. For example if B?B?B?????? can turn into the same word as ??B??B??B??, then we need to worry about overcounting. But that can't happen, because the Bs are in different positions.

So the final count is just 84 * 840 = 70560 words.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
September 10 2018 22:54 GMT
#387
Wow, thank you, that is fantastic. I'll need to practice this, I'll probably end up coming back with a couple more combinatorics questions.

In the mean time I have another question, it's very specific and it's not actually for school. I really should be able to solve this... but I have so much going on in my brain lol and I think this should be very simple for some of you.

I have a system of equalities:

First, I will say that In this system, I know the actual value of A,B,C,D,E,F. I want to solve for G,H,I,J,K,L. I know that there *is* a solution of whole numbers. And I know the following.

A = G+H
B = I+J
C = K+L
D = G+H+I+J+K+L
E = G+I+K
F = H+J+L

So, if I know the integer values of ABCDEF, is it possible to solve for GHIJKL?
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18453 Posts
September 10 2018 23:57 GMT
#388
On September 11 2018 07:54 travis wrote:
Wow, thank you, that is fantastic. I'll need to practice this, I'll probably end up coming back with a couple more combinatorics questions.

In the mean time I have another question, it's very specific and it's not actually for school. I really should be able to solve this... but I have so much going on in my brain lol and I think this should be very simple for some of you.

I have a system of equalities:

First, I will say that In this system, I know the actual value of A,B,C,D,E,F. I want to solve for G,H,I,J,K,L. I know that there *is* a solution of whole numbers. And I know the following.

A = G+H
B = I+J
C = K+L
D = G+H+I+J+K+L
E = G+I+K
F = H+J+L

So, if I know the integer values of ABCDEF, is it possible to solve for GHIJKL?

Clearly doesn't work for arbitrary values. So first check that D=E + F and D= A + B + C.

If that's the case, then I'm not sure there is a unique solution, but it's just linear algebra. Write it as a matrix and solve using Gaussian elimination.
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12021 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-11 12:04:10
September 11 2018 12:02 GMT
#389
Firstly, Acrophales is correct.

I have come to the conclusion that this system does not have a unique solution.

For there to be a solution, it is necessary that D = E+F and D = A+B+C. If that is not the case, there is no solution. And if D = E + F, then equation 4 is superfluous and does not add any additional information to the set of equations 1,2,3,5,6, which means that you don't have a set of 6 equations to solve for 6 variables, which means that the system does not have a unique solution.

There seems to be another superfluous equation, since you can easily get a solution by choosing, for example, G=I=0 (Other choices are also valid, and G doesn't have to be equal to I, this is just the laziest solution i came up with)
The solution in that case is,
G=0
H=A
I=0
J=B
K=E
L=F-A-B.

So your solution has two degrees of freedom due to not having enough equations.
mahrgell
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany3943 Posts
September 11 2018 12:53 GMT
#390
On September 11 2018 21:02 Simberto wrote:
Firstly, Acrophales is correct.

I have come to the conclusion that this system does not have a unique solution.

For there to be a solution, it is necessary that D = E+F and D = A+B+C. If that is not the case, there is no solution. And if D = E + F, then equation 4 is superfluous and does not add any additional information to the set of equations 1,2,3,5,6, which means that you don't have a set of 6 equations to solve for 6 variables, which means that the system does not have a unique solution.

There seems to be another superfluous equation, since you can easily get a solution by choosing, for example, G=I=0 (Other choices are also valid, and G doesn't have to be equal to I, this is just the laziest solution i came up with)
The solution in that case is,
G=0
H=A
I=0
J=B
K=E
L=F-A-B.

So your solution has two degrees of freedom due to not having enough equations.


As the conditions D = E+F and D = A+B+C have to be enforced on the input, it is easier to get the 2 superfluous equations by keeping the equation for D and considering one (any) of the first 3 and one (any) of the last two equations to be superfluous.

But of course the problem is much easier to solve (as you did) by only removing the D equation, setting G and I to arbitrary values and then the remaining variables are a simple elimination without any need of equation transformation.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
September 23 2018 19:47 GMT
#391
I have an inclusion/exclusion principle question. I have been given a formula a+b+c+d = 40
2<=a<=15
0<=b<=20
0<=c<=25
1<=d<=25

It says to find the number of integer solutions using the exclusion/inclusion principle. I am... confused.

The answer I found is 5502, but I did not find it with exclusion/inclusion principle. I am not sure how to apply exclusion/inclusion here.
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12021 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-23 20:12:30
September 23 2018 20:11 GMT
#392
You could use one set as all elements (a,b,c,d) of N^4 where a+b+c+d = 40
and another set as all elements of (a,b,c,d) of N^4 where the set of inequalities is true. Both of those should be easy to count, and if you also get the number of elements in the union of the sets somehow, you can use inclusion-exclusion to get the number of elements in the intersection.

That is the only way i see to apply inclusion-exclusion here. Maybe the number of elements in the union is easier to find than the number of elements in the intersection?
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-23 20:22:30
September 23 2018 20:17 GMT
#393
On September 24 2018 05:11 Simberto wrote:
You could use one set as all elements (a,b,c,d) of N^4 where a+b+c+d = 40

what do you mean by N^4?





edit:

are you, (or my instructor), saying to essentially find

1.) all a+b+c+d

and then exclude all a+b+c+d != 40 ?
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12021 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-23 20:26:32
September 23 2018 20:24 GMT
#394
4 dimensional space with integers as elements in each dimension. An element might look like this

(1,4,291,11)

So basically, you have a set out of sets of 4 numbers. I don't know if this actually makes the thing easier to solve though.

Edit to your edit:

I was suggesting finding all a, b, c, d with a+b+c+d = 40 (or rather the amount of such things)

And the amount of abcd which satisfies the second set of inequalities

And the amount of stuff in the union of those sets.

Then you can use inclusion exclusion to find the amount of stuff in the intersection of those sets.
mahrgell
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany3943 Posts
September 23 2018 20:24 GMT
#395
a 4 dimensional space, with each dimension being the natural numbers.

so a being in N, b being in N, etc...
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
September 23 2018 20:27 GMT
#396
This quickly got way beyond me. How is that useful, isn't the cardinality of that space infinite?
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12021 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-23 20:39:14
September 23 2018 20:31 GMT
#397
The cardinality of the whole N^4 is infinite. But the cardinality of N^4 which also satisfy a+b+c+d=40 is not.

(Basically, it is a fancy way of saying "find out how many numbersets of 4 integers which satisfy a+b+c+d=40 exist")

Edit: I have something else i want to write, but people are replying to quickly.

Edit2: If you want to use inclusion exclusion, you need (at least) two sets which partially overlap. I see the two sets of "4 integers with a+b+c+d = 40" and "4 integers with the other 4 inequalities") which do partially overlap. The cardinality of each of those sets should be easy to find, so if you could also find the cardinality of the union of the sets, inclusion/exclusion would deliver to you the cardinality of the intersection, which is what you were asking for originally. However, i don't see a very obvious way to finding that cardinality of the union, which might mean that this is not the best path either. I don't see another way how inclusion/exclusion would be useful for this, though.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
September 24 2018 04:03 GMT
#398
so what im gonna do is, count the cardinality of the set of all a+b+c+d=40

then find the cardinality, for each singleton a,b,c,or d - where they are not within the constraints
then the pairs
then the triplets

then use exlusion/inclusion to remove the cardinality of sets that broke the constraints?
Kleinmuuhg
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Vanuatu4091 Posts
September 24 2018 15:46 GMT
#399
I suggest not using N or N^4 as one of the sets as we need to add /subtract cardinalities and those sets have, as was pointed out, cardinality infinity. Only use finite sets for inclusion-exclusion principle
This is our town, scrub
Kleinmuuhg
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Vanuatu4091 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-24 15:51:12
September 24 2018 15:49 GMT
#400
On September 24 2018 13:03 travis wrote:
so what im gonna do is, count the cardinality of the set of all a+b+c+d=40

Infinitely large set as well, you will not get anywhere using that set

Im a bit busy rn. I will try to think about it and give a more productive answer if possible but I thought I'd spare you that wrong approach
This is our town, scrub
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 32 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 469
actioN 451
Leta 373
sSak 44
Bale 31
sorry 30
ajuk12(nOOB) 16
Noble 15
Dota 2
febbydoto16
League of Legends
JimRising 538
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss375
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King150
Other Games
summit1g8181
ceh9448
olofmeister335
Happy271
Sick167
Trikslyr24
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick492
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast37
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2240
League of Legends
• Stunt445
Other Games
• Shiphtur449
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
3h 41m
Patches Events
8h 41m
The PondCast
1d 2h
INu's Battles
1d 3h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.