• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:10
CEST 09:10
KST 16:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9820 users

The Chess Thread - Page 64

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 62 63 64 65 66 131 Next
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-21 08:05:11
November 21 2014 08:03 GMT
#1261
By the way, any openings you guys recommend for a 1600-1700 rated player? I feel like my endgame tactics are above my skill level, but it's usually the openings where I get behind, partly due to not having good fundamentals in strategy, and partly due struggling analyzing positions with many pieces.

I'd like to have two-three solid openings as white that are suited to my level of play (or slightly higher), so probably 1-2 e4 openings, and 1-2 d4 openings. Currently I either open up (1) e4 -> Nf3 -> Ruy Lopez if possible, otherwise I just try to push my pawns up to control the center, or I do a Queen's Gambit, which has been working really well for me (it's declined 90% of the time), but it allows me to play really aggressive and allows lots of tactical opportunity.

And I'd like to have openings to play as black, which lead to interesting positions where I have opportunities to punish and play aggressive if need be. Ideally 2 to play against e4 (I'm still trying to play d5, but holy, that leads to some crazy complicated lines), and I don't really like playing e4, since then either I'm usually forced into a Ruy Lopez or going d6, which feels quite defensive and too passive and drawish. Hence my choosing of the Sicilian, but I don't play it well since there is so many variations to consider. Currently against d4 I tend to play the Indian defence, but I am often not able to break the center, I get my pieces stuck, and I slowly die.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
wingpawn
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
Poland1342 Posts
November 21 2014 08:39 GMT
#1262
@FiWiFaKi - Queen's Gambit is a great opening to practice your strategical play because there are many non-forcing plans for both sides out of it. For 1. e4, Ruy Lopez usually requires tons of memorization, but there are so many answers for Black that you have to pretty much be prepared for French, Petroff, Sicilian, Caro-Kann, hell, even Scandinavian...

With Black, if you want a crazy fight against 1. e4, just play the Najdorf Sicilian or Modern Defense (1...d6 2...g6) and King's Indian against 1. d4. But you have to be prepared that White can always play more boring lines in all of these (or, in case of Najdorf, White can just refuse to go for it completely).
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
November 21 2014 10:55 GMT
#1263
yeah White can always make games dull. Like Carlsen's g3 against Anand's Sicilian, for example.
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
November 21 2014 12:02 GMT
#1264
ooh Grunfeld Russian system. My repertoire tells me to go 7...Nc6, and 7...a6 is pretty mainliney, I don't know 7...Na6 though.
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
hypercube
Profile Joined April 2010
Hungary2735 Posts
November 21 2014 12:19 GMT
#1265
On November 21 2014 19:55 marvellosity wrote:
yeah White can always make games dull. Like Carlsen's g3 against Anand's Sicilian, for example.


The problem is that many "interesting" lines require a ton of preparation. Or are plain bad like many gambit lines in e4 e5. I guess there's some leeway with white, after all it doesn't really matter if your opponent equalizes in the Marshall, the Ng5 two knights or some kind of modern italian or anti-marshall. I still feel like the most boring options (that is the last two) are also the best though. You get to play a subjectively easier position with little to no preparation. And the game can still get interesting later on.

I use the same approach with black: the Sicilian might look more interesting but the cost is just too damn high. It turns out anything after e4 e5, except the main line Spanish, is easy to handle with relatively little preparation.

I no longer see the point in going for sharp play with black, directly out of the opening. It's not so much that I expect to be outprepared in a blitz game. It's that I'd rather spend the time solving tactics or playing another game than looking at openings.
"Sending people in rockets to other planets is a waste of money better spent on sending rockets into people on this planet."
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
November 21 2014 12:26 GMT
#1266
yeah, when I was still playing 1.e4 I used to play some anti-marshall that i knew only a couple moves deep at most.

I enjoy the Sicilian though. I think people overestimate how well other people know openings a lot of the time.
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
hypercube
Profile Joined April 2010
Hungary2735 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-21 12:51:24
November 21 2014 12:49 GMT
#1267
I used to play both the Sveshnikov and the Najdorf for a while when I played live and got more good positions than bad ones. I rarely even got to play critical lines. This was against opponents rated from 1800 to 2100. But I spent more time studying the opening than it was worth and if someone had decided to go for a main line english attack (or really any main line) I would have been in trouble very quick.

The Sveshnikov was more forgiving and I wouldn't mind playing it once in a while again. It can lead to really interesting positions if your opponent doesn't know what they're doing or if they are itching for a fight themselves. Unfortunately some of the modern approaches with Nd5 first are passive and quite difficult for black.
"Sending people in rockets to other planets is a waste of money better spent on sending rockets into people on this planet."
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-21 12:55:08
November 21 2014 12:52 GMT
#1268
that's the thing though, hardly anyone knows the really sharp, long mainlines. I've played the Najdorf with ...e6 in many games, and never once faced one of the "critical" lines.

edit: i would add that i enjoy the positions that result from a strategic point of view.

edit 2: and yes, about 1800-2200 for me too. I guess it gets different as you get higher, but I aint there (yet)
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
November 21 2014 12:56 GMT
#1269
Anand's positions looks quite promising...
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
Superbanana
Profile Joined May 2014
2369 Posts
November 21 2014 12:57 GMT
#1270
Watching analysis @http://www.twitch.tv/chessnetwork
In PvZ the zerg can make the situation spire out of control but protoss can adept to the situation.
KelsierSC
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
United Kingdom10443 Posts
November 21 2014 12:59 GMT
#1271
It is the kind of position Vishy needs

very sharp
Zerg for Life
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
November 21 2014 13:04 GMT
#1272
the frickin stream is freezing every 30 secs or so , is there any way to fix that?
KelsierSC
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
United Kingdom10443 Posts
November 21 2014 13:28 GMT
#1273
magnus moving pretty fast again
Zerg for Life
NovaTheFeared
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
United States7232 Posts
November 21 2014 13:34 GMT
#1274
Anand has excellent chances in this position.
日本語が分かりますか
Hryul
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Austria2609 Posts
November 21 2014 13:40 GMT
#1275
On November 21 2014 22:04 Nyxisto wrote:
the frickin stream is freezing every 30 secs or so , is there any way to fix that?

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I can watch a short time but then it starts to "load" again.
maybe it's because livestream doesn't like germans?
btw: vodafone here.
Countdown to victory: 1 200!
wingpawn
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
Poland1342 Posts
November 21 2014 13:45 GMT
#1276
I'm watching it here: https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/worldChampionship2014/10/1/1

Works splendidly for me.
mahrgell
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany3943 Posts
November 21 2014 13:47 GMT
#1277
which stream? the official livestream with svidler is not freezing at all for me (watching it via chess24.com)

and for computeranalysis there is always: http://analysis.sesse.net/
Hryul
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Austria2609 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-21 13:53:19
November 21 2014 13:52 GMT
#1278
On November 21 2014 22:47 mahrgell wrote:
which stream? the official livestream with svidler is not freezing at all for me (watching it via chess24.com)

and for computeranalysis there is always: http://analysis.sesse.net/

so it's not the country. what's your ISP?
Countdown to victory: 1 200!
mahrgell
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany3943 Posts
November 21 2014 13:53 GMT
#1279
Kabel Deutschland
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-21 14:05:22
November 21 2014 14:02 GMT
#1280
Seems to be some kind of local thing (Telekom here), some other people around here seem to have problems, too.

Also later today http://www.uschesschamps.com/ Nakamura will play Aronian in a set of four games and 16 blitz games over the course of 5 days for 100k (split 60/40), it's probably going to be pretty cool

edit: also fun blitz match between Seirawan and Aronian

+ Show Spoiler +
Prev 1 62 63 64 65 66 131 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 50m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 1010
BeSt 299
sorry 96
Soma 69
Mind 67
Soulkey 58
Bale 24
ZergMaN 14
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm189
League of Legends
JimRising 708
Other Games
summit1g9211
Coldzera 713
WinterStarcraft711
C9.Mang0277
Sick179
febbydoto12
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick671
BasetradeTV236
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2238
Other Games
• Shiphtur720
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
2h 50m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
4h 50m
AI Arena Tournament
9h 50m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
11h 50m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
Patches Events
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.