• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:17
CEST 19:17
KST 02:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9368 users

The Chess Thread - Page 31

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 29 30 31 32 33 131 Next
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
May 29 2014 20:36 GMT
#601
That video was pretty awesome to watch. I was glad i could predict some of the easier moves and get it right.

An update after my post(s) a few weeks back: I've kept up with solving tactical problems on chesstempo.com, and got my rating there to 1600 on both blitz and standard (from 1500). I expected it to go somewhat faster, but i guess this is just my level. I do notice it helps, so that's a good thing. It seems like the standard version helps thinking deeper, and the blitz version helps to think faster. Only thing i dislike are the problems with a lot of alternatives, it's very dull to find the best out of 10 winning moves. Overall it´s a very nice site.

After playing someone with rating 2100 irl, i got some compliments on my 'fundamentals', whatever he meant concretely with that. I lost of course, but it was nice to play a lot stronger opponent, and gain valuable feedback.
wingpawn
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
Poland1342 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-02 18:05:46
June 02 2014 14:42 GMT
#602
Norway Chess 2014 starts today!

Participants:
+ Show Spoiler +
Magnus Carlsen (Norway, 2881)
Levon Aronian (Armenia, 2815)
Alexander Grischuk (Russia, 2792)
Fabiano Caruana (Italy, 2791)
Vladimir Kramnik (Russia, 2783)
Veselin Topalov (Bulgaria, 2772)
Sergey Karjakin (Russia, 2771)
Peter Svidler (Russia, 2753)
Anish Giri (Netherlands, 2752)
Simen Agdestein (Norway, 2628)


Schedule:
+ Show Spoiler +
June 2nd - Blitz Tournament
June 3rd - Classical Tournament - Round 1
June 4th - Classical Tournament - Round 2
June 5th - Classical Tournament - Round 3
June 6th - School Tournament
June 7th - Classical Tournament - Round 4
June 8th - Classical Tournament - Round 5
June 9th - Classical Tournament - Round 6
June 10th - Classical Tournament - Round 7
June 11th - Celebrity Tournament
June 12th - Classical Tournament - Round 8
June 13th - Classical Tournament - Round 9


Unibet's Winner Odds:
+ Show Spoiler +
1. Magnus Carlsen (NOR) 1,75
2. Levon Aronian (ARM) 6,00
3. Fabiano Caruana (ITA) 8,00
4. Vladimir Kramnik (RUS) 12,50
5. Alexander Grischuk (RUS) 15,00
6. Sergej Karjakin (RUS) 15,00
7. Veselin Topalov (BUL) 18,00
8. Peter Svidler (RUS) 25,00
9. Anish Giri (NED) 25,00
10. Simen Agdestein (NOR) 150,00


Stream:
http://live.norwaychess.com/

First blitz games start today, at 17:00 PM (UTC+2)
Commentary will be provided by Dirk Jan van Geuzendam and Nigel Short.
urboss
Profile Joined September 2013
Austria1223 Posts
June 02 2014 15:00 GMT
#603
This lineup is huge!
Adgestein was former Carlsen coach btw.
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
June 02 2014 15:33 GMT
#604
good start for Carlsen, I'm really surprised that Karjakin is already down two games though.
ThePhan2m
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Norway2751 Posts
June 02 2014 16:34 GMT
#605
Svidler losing to Carlsen with time running out, he had clear advantage that game. Huge mistake.
Atm results for Blitz tour (top 5 gets to play white one extra in main tour):

1. Carlsen - 4,
2. Giri - 3,5,
3. Grisjuk - 3,5,
4. Kramnik - 3,
5. Aronian - 3,
6. Karjakin -2,5,
7. Agdestein - 1,5,
8. Svidler - 1,5,
9. Topalov, 1,5,
10. Caruana - 1
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
June 02 2014 16:40 GMT
#606
oh boy :D that was cruel
ThePhan2m
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Norway2751 Posts
June 02 2014 17:00 GMT
#607
Caruana with major blunder against Carlsen, and gives up really early in frustration :o rage quit
Ettick
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States2434 Posts
June 02 2014 20:05 GMT
#608
I found a funny variation of the Philidor in a correspondence game I'm playing on chess.com right now

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 Nd7 4.Bc4
Standard stuff
4. ... h6
A bit strange, this move doesn't really accomplish a whole lot
5.dxe5 dxe5?
Here's where it starts to get interesting
6.Bxf7+! Kxf7 7.Nxe5+ Nxe5?? 8.Qxd8
Black should have played 5. ... Qe7 unpinning the queen and saving it, but they didn't see this variation. They also should not have played 7. ... Nxe5 but sometimes the temptation of getting a free piece for what seems like nothing is too much.
urboss
Profile Joined September 2013
Austria1223 Posts
June 03 2014 14:04 GMT
#609
Poll: Who is going to win the Norway Chess Classic 2014?

Carlsen (7)
 
50%

Giri (2)
 
14%

Caruana (2)
 
14%

Aronian (1)
 
7%

Grischuk (1)
 
7%

Svidler (1)
 
7%

Adgestein (0)
 
0%

Karjakin (0)
 
0%

Topalov (0)
 
0%

Kramnik (0)
 
0%

14 total votes

Your vote: Who is going to win the Norway Chess Classic 2014?

(Vote): Aronian
(Vote): Adgestein
(Vote): Carlsen
(Vote): Giri
(Vote): Grischuk
(Vote): Caruana
(Vote): Karjakin
(Vote): Topalov
(Vote): Svidler
(Vote): Kramnik

wingpawn
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
Poland1342 Posts
June 03 2014 14:28 GMT
#610
@Ettick - as far as I know, Philidor overall sucks and 3...Nd7 makes it even worse. And seems to me like going 4...Qe7 instead of pointless 4...h6 was even better than 5...Qe7. Is it what you opponent actually did or just the variation you saw?

I voted Aronian to win, though it will be a miracle if someone stops Carlsen on his own soil. Magnus had so many lucky escapes recently, I really want someone to come in and finally give him a cold shower.
Ethenielle
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
Norway1006 Posts
June 03 2014 15:01 GMT
#611
I'm getting a little tired of Magnus' luck as well.

Obviously he's good but it feels like he didn't deserve his last victories and I believe he said something to that effect himself as well.
Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
June 03 2014 15:20 GMT
#612
You make your own luck.
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
urboss
Profile Joined September 2013
Austria1223 Posts
June 03 2014 16:16 GMT
#613
Adgestein has good pos against Aronian.
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
June 03 2014 16:21 GMT
#614
Yes the rook sac was very nice, great recovery.
wingpawn
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
Poland1342 Posts
June 03 2014 17:36 GMT
#615
Q: "Simen says he didn't feel too well today, has it made your game against him more difficult, Levon?"
A: "Not really, it only made me... happy." HAHAHA

And Grischuk just lost an equal position against Caruana due to two-move tactic. That time pressure...
Ettick
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States2434 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-03 20:56:44
June 03 2014 20:37 GMT
#616
On June 03 2014 23:28 wingpawn wrote:
@Ettick - as far as I know, Philidor overall sucks and 3...Nd7 makes it even worse. And seems to me like going 4...Qe7 instead of pointless 4...h6 was even better than 5...Qe7. Is it what you opponent actually did or just the variation you saw?

I voted Aronian to win, though it will be a miracle if someone stops Carlsen on his own soil. Magnus had so many lucky escapes recently, I really want someone to come in and finally give him a cold shower.

It was what my opponent actually did. I do not play at a very high level.

Like half my opponents in this >1300 tournament I'm doing played the Philidor, I ain't complaining.
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
June 04 2014 01:57 GMT
#617
Hello, I'm a really bad chess player, and was wondering if anyone would like to play with me, while teaching me a little bit on skype?

I play on chess.com, I play 10min games -100/+200, I've always been pretty good in high school compared to my friends so I didn't think I'd be so awful... Turns out, I started at the standard 1200 rating, and quickly dropped to sub 600 points, reaching a low of 530. Through personal experimentation I brought myself up to around 800 rating after around 75-100 games at chess.com.

Actually the other day I played a friend that is quite good, with about 1375 points on chess.com, and somehow I managed to open up really well and received a free pawn, then the game developed, there were minimal trades as he didn't want to trade being behind, but in the end he developed a great position and began to attack. I took a risk to develop an offensive position of my own, and traded a bishop to get a good positional advantage with him having all his pieces on the offence. I was able to through a combination to win a knight, and then followed with a really clutch play, managing to trade my knight for his rook. From there with a rook and two pawns against a knight and one pawn, I was able to roll to quite an easy victory. Felt really good to win that as we both focused and thought through our moves a lot.

As for my strengths in game play... I think I am quite exceptional at the late game for my level. I always try to trade queens and thrive in situations with at least the queen, one minor piece, and three pawns are gone. I've never studied chess, so I don't really know openings well at all, I just rely on even trades and strategy in the late game to win, if it gets there, I don't really ever lose past move 30. As white I usually open up as 1. e4 2. d4 regardless of what my opponent does. I think my pawn structure is really good, and I put a lot of emphasis on it, developing my pawns much more relative to my knights and bishops compared to other people. I also really enjoy trading bishops asap, so I know exactly how to develop my pawn structure to suit my other bishop.

Anyway, I am very new and awful, if anyone would like to play for fun, or would enjoy teaching an easy going person who wishes to improve to that 1200~ mark, I'd very much appreciate it. Contact me through this thread or PM please (: Thanks!
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
kwizach
Profile Joined June 2011
3658 Posts
June 04 2014 09:27 GMT
#618
Have you tried using the program Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition? It has a very well-done tutorial section ("the academy", if I remember correctly), which may help you with some of the basic tactics/strategy.
"Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions." -- Stephen Colbert
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
June 04 2014 10:22 GMT
#619
I'd recommend Chessmaster grandmaster edition as well. In the academy section, Josh waitzkin's section is very elaborate on opening principles (not openings themselves), tactics and other basics. Especially if you've never studied chess before, i think it's a wonderful source of information.
Also, check out this youtube channel for some great Gm lectures. Some are better than others; i think i can recommend at least the Yasser Seirawan and Varuzhan Akobian lectures.
Ethenielle
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
Norway1006 Posts
June 04 2014 10:46 GMT
#620
On June 04 2014 00:20 marvellosity wrote:
You make your own luck.


For gods sake what a load of shit. You attribute Nakamuras megablunder to Carlsen? And in blitz when (Grischuk?) ran out of time without even noticing in a winning position? When Caruana blundered at move 11?

Yeah, that's Carlsen "making his own luck". Jesus christ.

Go win the lottery if that's your opinion.
Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Prev 1 29 30 31 32 33 131 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 43m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 261
ProTech153
UpATreeSC 115
BRAT_OK 63
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3697
Bisu 1880
Soulkey 1103
EffOrt 677
Mini 408
Larva 362
Horang2 243
ZerO 222
Dewaltoss 162
actioN 157
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 149
Mind 83
hero 81
Sharp 71
sorry 63
Shinee 59
Sea.KH 51
Barracks 37
Trap 25
Bale 24
Terrorterran 23
ToSsGirL 19
NaDa 17
Rock 13
Sacsri 11
scan(afreeca) 11
zelot 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5982
Dendi1405
XaKoH 391
420jenkins365
League of Legends
Reynor65
Counter-Strike
fl0m3994
pashabiceps705
Fnx 670
x6flipin308
edward22
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu279
Other Games
Grubby1720
Liquid`RaSZi1434
hiko839
FrodaN639
XBOCT251
Livibee174
TKL 134
C9.Mang0116
QueenE90
Mew2King42
RotterdaM26
ZerO(Twitch)22
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV163
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream21
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 72
• Reevou 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 40
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV765
League of Legends
• Nemesis3432
• TFBlade720
Other Games
• Shiphtur560
• imaqtpie266
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
6h 43m
Patches Events
22h 43m
The PondCast
1d 16h
INu's Battles
1d 17h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.