• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:32
CEST 18:32
KST 01:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9335 users

Sleep reduction - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Hairy
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom1169 Posts
August 09 2012 11:30 GMT
#21
The last time I looked into this, the only real alternative to sleeping your fill overnight in one go is to split the sleep into two sections; ~half overnight, and ~half in the afternoon (a siesta, effectively). You may be able to shorten the overall amount you're sleeping by following this method, but only marginally (and is not possible for most people due to work etc). I've not seen any other sleep options that actually have any scientific support.

I did the same maths as you, and the best solution I can give (instead of trying to do some wacky sleep schedule) is to simply shorten your commute. 2 hours a day commuting is a colossal amount of time that can be reduced! I currently have the same commute, but plan to be moving house in ~1-2 years to fix that problem
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits
TMiweedamins
Profile Joined December 2011
United States51 Posts
August 09 2012 11:33 GMT
#22
I sleep roughly 5-6hrs a night, a great man once said "Sleep is for the ones who prefer to dream, than live out their dreams" -Weedamins 2012
"Man made boose, God made Grass"
rEalGuapo
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany832 Posts
August 09 2012 11:41 GMT
#23
On August 09 2012 20:27 Frigo wrote:
No you really can't reduce sleep time despite various claims to the contrary (binaural beats, biphasic sleep, etc). While sleeping your entire body is repairing itself, most noticeably your skin. It also processes your memories in various ways. All these take time, you just can't skip them without side effects.

However you can greatly improve your quality of sleep, which is at least as important as the amount of sleep. For quite a while my sleep was utter crap since I slept randomly and made many mistakes but over time I discovered a few cheap tricks that helped me tremendously:

- Don't drink coffee after 16:00. Caffeine has a biological half-life of 5 hours, you'll have trouble falling asleep if you drink coffee too late.
- Drink at most 2 or 3 cups of coffee a day or equivalent. Caffeine is not a substitute for sleep.
- Go to sleep early, for me that's before 23:00. Don't sleep at day. Sleeping in sunlight guarantees low-quality sleep.
- Go to sleep and wake up at consistent times every day, don't sleep randomly. Your body will get used to the routine and will be much more efficient. I know this is hard when you are a university student, but try it. At least you will have less trouble adjusting when you start going to work.
- Get a softer, more comfortable bed. Don't "get used to" uncomfortable, hard beds or awkward sleeping positions.
- Get a progressive alarm clock (or an appropriate app for your phone), it improves your awakenings and mornings greatly.
- Don't play video games (especially not something competitive), use the computer, or study anything before going to bed. Your body will stuck in some kind of hyperactive/overworked state and you will have trouble falling asleep. Instead I recommend some light reading in the bed to relax (get an e-book reader, books are heavy and a bit awkward to read in the bed).
- Don't leave on your computer or any music when you are going to bed. It's much better to sleep to silence than various noises.
- Try to do some daily exercise. Apart from being healthy, you will have zero trouble falling asleep if you exhaust yourself physically. Biking and jogging on alternate days worked for me.
- Try to shower before going to sleep, much more comfortable to sleep clean.


Thanks, all of your points seem to make sense and some of them I already incorporated into my daily life. I will try to get the rest in there as well.
Corr
Profile Joined January 2009
Denmark796 Posts
August 09 2012 11:45 GMT
#24
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=95375

Waking up right after a sleep cycle makes such a huge difference. I tend to feel better after just 4,5-5 hours of sleep than 6-7 hours.
Back when I was shorter on time I would alternate 4,5-5 hours of sleep one night then 8-9. Worked great for me. I have literally sometimes slept 90 minutes and been perfectly capable of getting up and doing my thing (exam for instance) without any problems. I could obviously still feel that my body and mind wasn't performing as much as it usually does but I didn't suffer from fatigue.
ModernAgeShaman
Profile Joined January 2008
Norway484 Posts
August 09 2012 11:48 GMT
#25
My sleep quality has improved dramatically after I started eating vegetables daily. I'm guessing the increased amount of magnesium from broccoli has had a lot to say. Never before have I been able to function so well on under 7 hours of sleep and I would wake up before my alarm even went off.

Be sure if you try this you don't overcook them and destroy the minerals/vitamins. I usually lightly fry them.
Motivate
Profile Joined June 2011
2860 Posts
August 09 2012 11:49 GMT
#26
how come all my friends are so chirpy/rested on 6-7 hours sleep and yet i NEVER feel rested no matter how much i sleep. even on 8-9 hours i feel like crap, not just in the morning but all the time.

i heard getting more exercise helps. i only exercise once to twice a week when i play sport.
Andre
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Slovenia3523 Posts
August 09 2012 11:52 GMT
#27
Maybe you should try this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep
Basically it's sleeping a lot less (3-5 hours usually in total). You sleep like 20-30 minutes every few hours per day, it's really hard to get used to but it can work.

Unfortunately there's not much research done around this sleep schedule, which is quite sad actually considering how interesting/beneficial it could be. I personally have tried it but failed, as I said it's really hard to get used to it.
Read some personal thoughts from people on the webs and most say it's the best thing ever. Side effects include: sleeping at awkward times & drinking lots of water it seems.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
August 09 2012 11:53 GMT
#28
While you can't "reduce sleep time" you can reduce the non-REM sleep time. This part is crucial. Most people I know who sleep 7-8hours or more never once in their life made an attempt to find out how that works for them personally.


What I did about 7 years ago or so was devote an month on cleaning up my sleep schedule. Go to bed, set an alarmclock to ring in 3 hours, get up. Repeat this every 12 hours. The first 3-4 days were plain and flat out brutal. I didn't fall asleep quick enough, I was incredibly dizzy after waking up and I couldn't perform anything "real" during the time I was awake. After those first days what happened is that whenever I layed down in bed I started to fall asleep asap and I started to slowly feel less dizzy and it felt somewhat okay.

Next step (while you're still sleep deprived) is to find out how long your sleep phase really is (average times from 2:15h to 3:45h are completely normal) by adjusting the sleep time you give yourself in 15-30 minute increments. For me personally 2:45h of sleep in one setting just feels incredible. I wake up on the first tone of my alarm, I am immediately at full capacity and my brain just feels sharp as hell.

After spending 3-4 weeks in that schedule I started to skip one of the two phases per day and returned to sleeping 1x, now at 5:30-5:45hours per day. That has been my standard sleep time ever since when I actually want to get work in, even over longer periods of time (~4months) I had never had a problem with that timing.

What I noticed what stayed with me after a couple of years (especially comparing myself to other people when it comes to sleep) is that I fall asleep quicker, sleep deeper and am more relaxed than anyone I know. The only big "drawback" is that if I try sleeping e.g. 1-2hours at a time I'm completely wrecked. My guess would be that the body adjusted to the schedule and that time is right in the middle of a REM phase.


tl;dr: "Cleaning up" your sleep schedule might easily net you 2-3hours more, the only way I tried this personally is by living with an incredibly strict alarmclock for a couple of weeks. I don't regret it at all and would do it over and over again. Getting to know how your body and brain works and how to make them work at their best is incredibly rewarding, most people just don't bother even thinking about it.

PS: Switching from mono- to biphasic sleep and back within a couple of days feels rather normal to me, no problems there at all. Note that babies/elderly people sleep polyphasic and that monophasic sleep is more a product of our culture, not of our internal clocks. There's a reason most of us get sleepy around midday.
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Sablar
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Sweden880 Posts
August 09 2012 11:57 GMT
#29
I will begin by saying that I am no expert with regards to sleeping too long. I know a lot about insomnia etc but not really this.. Which is probably more than most people who present their advice as fact in this thread know. Anyway the way I see it..

Humans are very adaptable to the environment.. if you get used to sleeping for a shorter amount of time your body should also get used to this and start to adapt to the new circumbstances. Which means over time getting less tired when sleeping less, assuming you don't sleep during the day or something instead.

Not saying that different people don't have different need for sleep, just opposing the idea of an absolute value that cannot be changed.
heishe
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany2284 Posts
August 09 2012 12:05 GMT
#30
I have some kind of magic number of minutes that I need to sleep at night. When I sleep like that, I will feel really tired when waking up (not badly tired, just this "Oh god this feels so good I need to keep sleeping") but will have 100% of my energy available during the day, not being tired even a little bit.

Unfortunately I haven't yet figured out the exact number, but this thread needs to remind me to do some testing. It's somewhere between 7 and 8 hours.
If you value your soul, never look into the eye of a horse. Your soul will forever be lost in the void of the horse.
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-09 12:08:14
August 09 2012 12:07 GMT
#31
- Don't drink coffee after 16:00. Caffeine has a biological half-life of 5 hours, you'll have trouble falling asleep if you drink coffee too late.
- Get a softer, more comfortable bed. Don't "get used to" uncomfortable, hard beds or awkward sleeping positions.

These two aren't correct. While Caffeine has a half-life of 5 hours, the way it interacts with the body usually results in a high point at around 30 minutes till an hour, after that you end up being more tired than before the caffein arrived in your body. Try drinking an energy drink at 3am. Find out how long it lasts for you personally till you start getting tired without big exercise or anything similar. That time usually varies between 1-2 hours for most people. Keep in mind that there are various conditions (e.g. low blood pressure) where caffeine will make you immediately more tired. That's the reason why e.g. some elderly people can drink a cup of coffee and fall asleep after half an hour. =P

A "soft bed" doesn't make you sleep better. To effectively relax your body needs a bed that helps maintain natural positions without either letting your weight decide how that ends up looking but also without offering a flat, hard surface. Most people err on the wrong side and get too soft beds which can result in all kinds of back problems in the long run.


- Don't leave on your computer or any music when you are going to bed. It's much better to sleep to silence than various noises.

Not exactly true. As long as the "noise" is below a certain threshold (I think 70dB, but basically equivalent to soft music, some birds around etc.) it's actually better than complete silence. Having some sound around is comforting and relaxing.


- Go to sleep early, for me that's before 23:00. Don't sleep at day. Sleeping in sunlight guarantees low-quality sleep.

Also a tricky one that you can't exactly quantify. In literally the entirety of southern europe sleeping 4-5 hours per night and 2-3 hours per day is completely normal. It depends on what you're used to and your body personally.


If you're like me and love browsing before going to bed there are various programs which adjust the light temperature your computer screen emits. I can't remember the one I used to use but maybe someone else can link one or google will be your buddy. Solid light (colder in the morning, warmer in the evening) is half the deal when it comes to making your body work properly despite artificial lighting.


Edit: @above, check my long post some above yours, I'm pretty much describing how you can find out that "magic number" that everyone knows they have but almost no one cares about exploiting further.
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
LilClinkin
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Australia667 Posts
August 09 2012 12:15 GMT
#32
I'm a doctor, I work 9-10 hour shifts per day as a norm, occasionally 14 hours. I live 45 minutes from work. I average 6.5 hours sleep per day. That leaves me approx 5 hours to do whatever I want each day at home after work.

You just have to train yourself to function both mentally and physically with less sleep.
chenchen
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1136 Posts
August 09 2012 12:16 GMT
#33
I think you should consider moving your career in a direction that gives you a job which you find more interesting. That way, you won't feel like your work is dragging down your personal life.
powerade = dragoon blood
Rigorous
Profile Joined August 2011
74 Posts
August 09 2012 12:23 GMT
#34
I've pondered this issue a lot. For me personally, if I sleep 9+ hours, I feel great. If I sleep 8 hours, I feel tired. If I sleep 6-7 hours, I feel great. So I gravitate to sleeping the 6-7 hours every night. I don't understand why this happens, but I do know that this works.

Maybe you have a similar pattern? Many of my friends have similar patterns, with different time thresholds. Maybe find the zone where you feel the best.

Also, I'm 33 now. I do remember when I was 24, new to the real world, that I felt tired all the time and I did feel like I needed the 9+ hours a night. I think as you get older, you need less sleep - heard by everyone and verified from my own personal experience.
rEalGuapo
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany832 Posts
August 09 2012 12:23 GMT
#35
On August 09 2012 21:16 chenchen wrote:
I think you should consider moving your career in a direction that gives you a job which you find more interesting. That way, you won't feel like your work is dragging down your personal life.


I'm also working on that, but it is incredibly hard to find out what I want.. Right now I am considering becoming a chef since I can live out that drive to create something perfect in detail and am not bored to do the same thing a billion times as long as it requires me to concentrate.

Right now I work and study engineering which was more like a "Well why not" kind of choice..
bokeevboke
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Singapore1674 Posts
August 09 2012 12:30 GMT
#36
I have same issues, but I don't consider "sleeping" is a problem. Its more of I'm not satisfied with my life (daily routine). Thats why I'm thinking of changing my job. Suppose this, if you have a satisfying job you will find yourself having fun and living your life at your job, otherwise it will be dragging yourself through it.
Its grack
rEalGuapo
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany832 Posts
August 09 2012 12:36 GMT
#37
On August 09 2012 21:30 bokeevboke wrote:
I have same issues, but I don't consider "sleeping" is a problem. Its more of I'm not satisfied with my life (daily routine). Thats why I'm thinking of changing my job. Suppose this, if you have a satisfying job you will find yourself having fun and living your life at your job, otherwise it will be dragging yourself through it.


It's off topic but still a valid point.

Yet, I am not sure if there actually is a job I can find joy in.
Professional Game tester and TV-Series watcher would probably work for me

TSM
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Great Britain584 Posts
August 09 2012 12:37 GMT
#38
what makes people depressed is getting into routines, i was horribly depressed of a routine that i got in and that included quite a lot of free time, try to mix things up, dont plan every day of you life for the next 50 years. My tip is do a different thing every day, some days sleep 6-7 hours some days sleep 9+ just mix things up.
The person to smile when everything goes wrong has found someone to blame it on - arthur bloch **** tl:dr *user was banned for this post*
Sephy90
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1785 Posts
August 09 2012 12:38 GMT
#39
Spending 2 hours each day to get to and from work sounds really ridiculous to me..
"So I turned the lights off at night and practiced by myself"
Badgesc
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
France111 Posts
August 09 2012 12:41 GMT
#40
Reducing sleep time is not the way because sleep is paramount to your health.

I'm at my best with usually 10 hours or a little more a night. I chose to sacrifice TV and a bunch of crap. I think sleep should be on top of your list and the rest is less important.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 28m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech148
UpATreeSC 107
BRAT_OK 41
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 4057
Bisu 1695
Soulkey 1434
EffOrt 937
Mini 614
Larva 369
Horang2 351
ZerO 327
actioN 198
ggaemo 175
[ Show more ]
Mind 96
Shinee 91
Sharp 66
hero 65
Sea.KH 62
sorry 61
Snow 44
Barracks 42
Hyun 40
Bale 30
Trap 27
Terrorterran 25
ToSsGirL 21
NaDa 15
Rock 14
scan(afreeca) 12
Sacsri 9
Noble 9
zelot 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5926
Dendi1172
420jenkins296
XaKoH 227
League of Legends
Reynor81
Counter-Strike
fl0m3683
x6flipin681
Fnx 673
pashabiceps314
edward38
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes400
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1388
hiko934
FrodaN446
B2W.Neo418
XBOCT219
Livibee168
QueenE110
TKL 100
Mew2King51
C9.Mang022
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV180
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 54
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 42
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV690
League of Legends
• Nemesis3877
• TFBlade649
Other Games
• Shiphtur495
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 28m
Patches Events
23h 28m
The PondCast
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.