• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:52
CEST 02:52
KST 09:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10470 users

Washington State Votes to Approve Gay Marriage - Page 13

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 29 Next All
DoubleReed
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4130 Posts
February 09 2012 14:55 GMT
#241
On February 09 2012 23:44 CajunMan wrote:
I don't understand why they call it marriage. Marriage is and has always been a union of religion the only reason courts are even involved is because they decided they needed to marry couples for monetary reasons though who arn't religious or wish to not waste time with it (which is the whole point) I don't care if gays wanna "marry" and what not but don't call it marriage there's no major religion of the big 3-5 that advocate gays being wed and in the end that's what this is a religious issue that the government shouldn't have gotten its nose in. I wish gays who wish to be wed would call it something different hopefully they advocate civil unions or calling it something like that because it is not marriage in the traditional sense.


Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 23:01 Cheerio wrote:
I wonder if polygamy should be allowed.


If your first wife says ya hell ya hook me up with some polygamy.


There are Christians that disagree on this point though. Really all this says is if you don't think gay unions are marriage, then YOU should not get gay married. We do have religious freedom in this country so I can religiously marry whatever I want anyway.

If the word marriage is the only issue, then really your argument comes down to pointlessly insulting the dignity of other peoples relationships. Unless you're arguing that they shouldn't get marriage benefits either.
Pika Chu
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Romania2510 Posts
February 09 2012 14:57 GMT
#242
Very good. I fully support everyone's right to express their sexuality as they deem necessary as long as it does not hurt anybody else.

This is a big step forward.
They first ignore you. After they laugh at you. Next they will fight you. In the end you will win.
RetroAspect
Profile Joined November 2011
Belgium219 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 15:00:22
February 09 2012 14:58 GMT
#243
On February 09 2012 14:47 danl9rm wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 14:29 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 14:22 danl9rm wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:06 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:02 Yosho wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:00 1Eris1 wrote:
On February 09 2012 12:55 Yosho wrote:
On February 09 2012 12:49 bRiz wrote:
Don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it's a positive answer to a problem being experienced in the GLT community, but I personally prefer to keep marriage between a man and a woman, though I don't think I'd vote for a restriction like that. Just a personal opinion.


I wouldn't vote for this to pass but if I would vote to not let is pass. Although even in nature gay animals exist, I feel it's like any other deficiency that people / animals can be born with. One of the sole thing we rely on to define life is reproduction. You cannot do this naturally on gay people. Not to be rude but I don't count this as a step up, but as a step down.


You say they are born with it, than why does it matter if they can get married? It's not like you're going to convince one of them to turn straight, and thus reproduce anyways.


I figure it goes against nature. Why support it further? Mentally ill people who are born with deficiency's also should be restricted on what they can and can't do. I would not like a mentally handicapped person to operate extremely heavy machinery. And I don't think gay people should marry. I feel it's a defilement of what marriage is.


Is menopause a deficieny? Cause if not why should women who can't reproduce be allowed to get married? Hell what about sterile men? Honestly this deficiency bullshit is just cover for bigotted religious views.


The sword cuts both ways...


Calling someone deficient because of your ignorant world view is bigotted. No-one has provided me with a reasonable explanation why gays are fundamentally different than straight people with regards to marriage other than those with religious views. Hence why I believe people who claim to oppose gay marriage on non-religious grounds are full of shit.

Sure I probably should have left out the religious bit but that is my opinion.


I wasn't going to jump in here. I usually don't. But, after such a great post, I cannot help myself.

First, let me say, that I completely agree with you. Well, on your main point. That, "people who claim to oppose gay marriage on non-religious ground [use flawed logic]."

The only reason I oppose gay marriage is because God tells me it's wrong. It's his universe, he gets to make the rules. If you don't believe in God, the God of the bible, then why would you oppose such a thing? I believe God created us, and that Adam and Eve laid claim to the very first marriage on earth. In them we were showed what was meant to be. Of course, they screwed up and lived far from perfectly, but that's not the point here.

If you don't believe that, and you believe in, let's just choose an alternative, evolution, then why do you care if gay marriage exists? What if homosexuality is evolution's solution to over-population? What if they are just more evolved than we are? Or, what if they are the "3rd gender?"

If the bible was not true, I would absolutely vote for gay marriage, not because I don't think it harms the child(ren), but because I would have no moral ground to stand on. We would all just be making stuff up as we go along. It would be majority vote. Moral relativism. And, that is just a war on logic.


If this isn't religious "zealotry" , then i don't know what is..
You talk like your beliefs about God are a fixed state that everyone , even non -believers, must submit too. You talk about the Bible like it are proven facts, while in many people's opinion it is just another book and God doesn't exist.
Do they attack you for your beliefs or deny you in practising them?
Why would you oppose them from marriage then? it's not like are going to, or want to , marry for your "church"'
I am what i am and thats all that i am!
DoubleReed
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4130 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 15:21:12
February 09 2012 15:09 GMT
#244
If the bible was not true, I would absolutely vote for gay marriage, not because I don't think it harms the child(ren), but because I would have no moral ground to stand on. We would all just be making stuff up as we go along. It would be majority vote. Moral relativism. And, that is just a war on logic.


Not trying to derail the thread, but atheism does not imply morals are relative. You can still have moral objectivity, you just have to figure it out. Just because morals arent explicitly said doesnt mean they dont exist. I'm not really sure where this attitude comes from because it just seems like non sequitur to me.

Look up some Sam Harris who suggests that science can actually say a lot about morality.

Edit: not gonna lie MagicMike, your post depressed me. It seems to be a theme that people wont fight for gay marriage unless they are forced to recognize that gays are the same as everyone else. I'm glad you changed your mind, and I hope you'll be more open minded about other things as well.
Magic_Mike
Profile Joined May 2010
United States542 Posts
February 09 2012 15:09 GMT
#245
On February 09 2012 23:58 RetroAspect wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 14:47 danl9rm wrote:
On February 09 2012 14:29 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 14:22 danl9rm wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:06 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:02 Yosho wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:00 1Eris1 wrote:
On February 09 2012 12:55 Yosho wrote:
On February 09 2012 12:49 bRiz wrote:
Don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it's a positive answer to a problem being experienced in the GLT community, but I personally prefer to keep marriage between a man and a woman, though I don't think I'd vote for a restriction like that. Just a personal opinion.


I wouldn't vote for this to pass but if I would vote to not let is pass. Although even in nature gay animals exist, I feel it's like any other deficiency that people / animals can be born with. One of the sole thing we rely on to define life is reproduction. You cannot do this naturally on gay people. Not to be rude but I don't count this as a step up, but as a step down.


You say they are born with it, than why does it matter if they can get married? It's not like you're going to convince one of them to turn straight, and thus reproduce anyways.


I figure it goes against nature. Why support it further? Mentally ill people who are born with deficiency's also should be restricted on what they can and can't do. I would not like a mentally handicapped person to operate extremely heavy machinery. And I don't think gay people should marry. I feel it's a defilement of what marriage is.


Is menopause a deficieny? Cause if not why should women who can't reproduce be allowed to get married? Hell what about sterile men? Honestly this deficiency bullshit is just cover for bigotted religious views.


The sword cuts both ways...


Calling someone deficient because of your ignorant world view is bigotted. No-one has provided me with a reasonable explanation why gays are fundamentally different than straight people with regards to marriage other than those with religious views. Hence why I believe people who claim to oppose gay marriage on non-religious grounds are full of shit.

Sure I probably should have left out the religious bit but that is my opinion.


I wasn't going to jump in here. I usually don't. But, after such a great post, I cannot help myself.

First, let me say, that I completely agree with you. Well, on your main point. That, "people who claim to oppose gay marriage on non-religious ground [use flawed logic]."

The only reason I oppose gay marriage is because God tells me it's wrong. It's his universe, he gets to make the rules. If you don't believe in God, the God of the bible, then why would you oppose such a thing? I believe God created us, and that Adam and Eve laid claim to the very first marriage on earth. In them we were showed what was meant to be. Of course, they screwed up and lived far from perfectly, but that's not the point here.

If you don't believe that, and you believe in, let's just choose an alternative, evolution, then why do you care if gay marriage exists? What if homosexuality is evolution's solution to over-population? What if they are just more evolved than we are? Or, what if they are the "3rd gender?"

If the bible was not true, I would absolutely vote for gay marriage, not because I don't think it harms the child(ren), but because I would have no moral ground to stand on. We would all just be making stuff up as we go along. It would be majority vote. Moral relativism. And, that is just a war on logic.


If this isn't religious "zealotry" , then i don't know what is..
You talk like your beliefs about God are a fixed state that everyone , even non -believers, must submit too. You talk about the Bible like it are proven facts, while in many people's opinion it is just another book and God doesn't exist.
Do they attack you for your beliefs or deny you in practising them?
Why would you oppose them from marriage then? it's not like are going to, or want to , marry for your "church"'


This isn't zealotry at all. What he said is that there is no reason to oppose gay marriage other than religion and if you don't have a religion that you can't really oppose gay marriage.
VediVeci
Profile Joined October 2011
United States82 Posts
February 09 2012 15:28 GMT
#246
“[Those] who vote against gay marriage are not, nor should they be accused of bigotry. Those of us who support this legislation are not, and we should not be accused of, undermining family life or religious freedom.”
- State Senator Ed Murray, sponsor of bill legalizing gay marriage in Washington State

I think its worth noting the words of Murray (a gay man) before hurling accusations of bigotry, zealotry, fundamentalism etc around.
Magic_Mike
Profile Joined May 2010
United States542 Posts
February 09 2012 15:30 GMT
#247
On February 10 2012 00:09 DoubleReed wrote:

Edit: not gonna lie MagicMike, your post depressed me. It seems to be a theme that people wont fight for gay marriage unless they are forced to recognize that gays are the same as everyone else. I'm glad you changed your mind, and I hope you'll be more open minded about other things as well.


Sadly, most people, myself included are largely victims of their upbringing and will never change the ideals their parents raised them with barring drastic occurances in their life.
Rainmaker21
Profile Joined August 2011
United States29 Posts
February 09 2012 15:49 GMT
#248
On February 10 2012 00:28 VediVeci wrote:
“[Those] who vote against gay marriage are not, nor should they be accused of bigotry. Those of us who support this legislation are not, and we should not be accused of, undermining family life or religious freedom.”
- State Senator Ed Murray, sponsor of bill legalizing gay marriage in Washington State

I think its worth noting the words of Murray (a gay man) before hurling accusations of bigotry, zealotry, fundamentalism etc around.


At the end of the day, history will call those who opposed gay marriage bigots. Just as history calls those who opposed interracial marriage racists. After reading this discussion, I'm totally okay with that.
Johnnybb
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark486 Posts
February 09 2012 15:57 GMT
#249
Faith in America restored hope the rest of the states follow this example!
Stratos_speAr
Profile Joined May 2009
United States6959 Posts
February 09 2012 16:12 GMT
#250
On February 09 2012 23:44 CajunMan wrote:
I don't understand why they call it marriage. Marriage is and has always been a union of religion the only reason courts are even involved is because they decided they needed to marry couples for monetary reasons though who arn't religious or wish to not waste time with it (which is the whole point) I don't care if gays wanna "marry" and what not but don't call it marriage there's no major religion of the big 3-5 that advocate gays being wed and in the end that's what this is a religious issue that the government shouldn't have gotten its nose in. I wish gays who wish to be wed would call it something different hopefully they advocate civil unions or calling it something like that because it is not marriage in the traditional sense.


Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 23:01 Cheerio wrote:
I wonder if polygamy should be allowed.


If your first wife says ya hell ya hook me up with some polygamy.


Historically, marriage has been a legal matter. Religion only monopolized its practice later. It has definitely not always been a religious issue.
A sound mind in a sound body, is a short, but full description of a happy state in this World: he that has these two, has little more to wish for; and he that wants either of them, will be little the better for anything else.
R3m3mb3rM3
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany954 Posts
February 09 2012 16:23 GMT
#251
good step... let people marry so they are happy. no one gets hurt, just more people are happy. why the fuck do people mind so much if other people marry each other. will they go to hell? i just dont understand
VediVeci
Profile Joined October 2011
United States82 Posts
February 09 2012 16:44 GMT
#252
On February 10 2012 00:49 Rainmaker21 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2012 00:28 VediVeci wrote:
“[Those] who vote against gay marriage are not, nor should they be accused of bigotry. Those of us who support this legislation are not, and we should not be accused of, undermining family life or religious freedom.”
- State Senator Ed Murray, sponsor of bill legalizing gay marriage in Washington State

I think its worth noting the words of Murray (a gay man) before hurling accusations of bigotry, zealotry, fundamentalism etc around.


At the end of the day, history will call those who opposed gay marriage bigots. Just as history calls those who opposed interracial marriage racists. After reading this discussion, I'm totally okay with that.


I think there are two discussions happening simultaneously here. One about gay-rights and one about the exact definition of marriage. If you oppose gay marriage because you think marriage is a heterosexual institution but support an equivalent one for homosexuality, then you are not necessarily bigoted. If you oppose gay marriage because you don't think gays should have rights, then you are (almost certainly) bigoted. I hope history recognizes that nuance, but I am more inclined to think that you're correct.
Saltydizzle
Profile Joined July 2011
United States123 Posts
February 09 2012 16:50 GMT
#253
Gays should get marriage benefits, but not the title of marriage, sorry gays.
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
February 09 2012 16:55 GMT
#254
On February 10 2012 01:44 VediVeci wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2012 00:49 Rainmaker21 wrote:
On February 10 2012 00:28 VediVeci wrote:
“[Those] who vote against gay marriage are not, nor should they be accused of bigotry. Those of us who support this legislation are not, and we should not be accused of, undermining family life or religious freedom.”
- State Senator Ed Murray, sponsor of bill legalizing gay marriage in Washington State

I think its worth noting the words of Murray (a gay man) before hurling accusations of bigotry, zealotry, fundamentalism etc around.


At the end of the day, history will call those who opposed gay marriage bigots. Just as history calls those who opposed interracial marriage racists. After reading this discussion, I'm totally okay with that.


I think there are two discussions happening simultaneously here. One about gay-rights and one about the exact definition of marriage. If you oppose gay marriage because you think marriage is a heterosexual institution but support an equivalent one for homosexuality, then you are not necessarily bigoted. If you oppose gay marriage because you don't think gays should have rights, then you are (almost certainly) bigoted. I hope history recognizes that nuance, but I am more inclined to think that you're correct.


Its still being bigoted because it is someone saying that their definition of marriage should be the one that all other people must live their lives by. Its pushing their views on the personal lives of other people. Religious terms vary a lot from religion to religion. People don't necessarily agree on that definition and people should be allowed to live their lives based on their own definitions of spiritual terms.

Even despite all of this, the term marriage has managed to migrate to government matters as well. There is nothing unnatural or unheard of for a religious term to eventually make its way into non-religious situations. A marriage license is a legal document. Marriage is no longer a religious-exclusive term.
VediVeci
Profile Joined October 2011
United States82 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 17:06:28
February 09 2012 17:04 GMT
#255
On February 10 2012 01:55 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2012 01:44 VediVeci wrote:
On February 10 2012 00:49 Rainmaker21 wrote:
On February 10 2012 00:28 VediVeci wrote:
“[Those] who vote against gay marriage are not, nor should they be accused of bigotry. Those of us who support this legislation are not, and we should not be accused of, undermining family life or religious freedom.”
- State Senator Ed Murray, sponsor of bill legalizing gay marriage in Washington State

I think its worth noting the words of Murray (a gay man) before hurling accusations of bigotry, zealotry, fundamentalism etc around.


At the end of the day, history will call those who opposed gay marriage bigots. Just as history calls those who opposed interracial marriage racists. After reading this discussion, I'm totally okay with that.


I think there are two discussions happening simultaneously here. One about gay-rights and one about the exact definition of marriage. If you oppose gay marriage because you think marriage is a heterosexual institution but support an equivalent one for homosexuality, then you are not necessarily bigoted. If you oppose gay marriage because you don't think gays should have rights, then you are (almost certainly) bigoted. I hope history recognizes that nuance, but I am more inclined to think that you're correct.


Its still being bigoted because it is someone saying that their definition of marriage should be the one that all other people must live their lives by. Its pushing their views on the personal lives of other people. Religious terms vary a lot from religion to religion. People don't necessarily agree on that definition and people should be allowed to live their lives based on their own definitions of spiritual terms.

Even despite all of this, the term marriage has managed to migrate to government matters as well. There is nothing unnatural or unheard of for a religious term to eventually make its way into non-religious situations. A marriage license is a legal document. Marriage is no longer a religious-exclusive term.


Marriage as a heterosexual institution has been around for thousands of years. It is possible to be simultaneously for preserving the traditional definition of marriage and for giving gays equal rights. If all we are talking about is an issue of semantics (what is the exact definition of marriage), then it isn't an issue of bigotry. You call people from Africa and Asia African and Asian not because they don't have equal rights but because Africa and Asia aren't the same thing. That doesn't mean you are discriminating against either group. It (can be) the same thing with gay rights. If there is an equivalent institution to marriage available to homosexuals, that's not necessarily discriminatory, and those calling for it aren't ipso facto bigoted.

Edited conclusion
Iyerbeth
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
England2410 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 17:10:13
February 09 2012 17:08 GMT
#256
On February 10 2012 02:04 VediVeci wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2012 01:55 Mohdoo wrote:
On February 10 2012 01:44 VediVeci wrote:
On February 10 2012 00:49 Rainmaker21 wrote:
On February 10 2012 00:28 VediVeci wrote:
“[Those] who vote against gay marriage are not, nor should they be accused of bigotry. Those of us who support this legislation are not, and we should not be accused of, undermining family life or religious freedom.”
- State Senator Ed Murray, sponsor of bill legalizing gay marriage in Washington State

I think its worth noting the words of Murray (a gay man) before hurling accusations of bigotry, zealotry, fundamentalism etc around.


At the end of the day, history will call those who opposed gay marriage bigots. Just as history calls those who opposed interracial marriage racists. After reading this discussion, I'm totally okay with that.


I think there are two discussions happening simultaneously here. One about gay-rights and one about the exact definition of marriage. If you oppose gay marriage because you think marriage is a heterosexual institution but support an equivalent one for homosexuality, then you are not necessarily bigoted. If you oppose gay marriage because you don't think gays should have rights, then you are (almost certainly) bigoted. I hope history recognizes that nuance, but I am more inclined to think that you're correct.


Its still being bigoted because it is someone saying that their definition of marriage should be the one that all other people must live their lives by. Its pushing their views on the personal lives of other people. Religious terms vary a lot from religion to religion. People don't necessarily agree on that definition and people should be allowed to live their lives based on their own definitions of spiritual terms.

Even despite all of this, the term marriage has managed to migrate to government matters as well. There is nothing unnatural or unheard of for a religious term to eventually make its way into non-religious situations. A marriage license is a legal document. Marriage is no longer a religious-exclusive term.


Marriage as a heterosexual institution has been around for thousands of years. It is possible to be simultaneously for preserving the traditional definition of marriage and for giving gays equal rights. If all we are talking about is an issue of semantics (what is the exact definition of marriage), then it isn't an issue of bigotry. You call people from Africa and Asia African and Asian not because they don't have equal rights but because Africa and Asia aren't the same thing. That doesn't mean you are discriminating against either group. It (can be) the same thing with gay rights. If there is an equivalent institution to marriage available to homosexuals, that's not necessarily discriminatory, and those calling for it aren't ipso facto bigoted.

Edited conclusion


The reason it's bigotry isn't what they want it's why they want it. There are no reasons to be against gay marriage that aren't bigotry at some point.
♥ Liquid`Sheth ♥ Liquid`TLO ♥
DoubleReed
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4130 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 17:10:19
February 09 2012 17:08 GMT
#257
Marriage as a heterosexual institution has been around for thousands of years. It is possible to be simultaneously for preserving the traditional definition of marriage and for giving gays equal rights. If all we are talking about is an issue of semantics (what is the exact definition of marriage), then it isn't an issue of bigotry. You call people from Africa and Asia African and Asian not because they don't have equal rights but because Africa and Asia aren't the same thing. That doesn't mean you are discriminating against either group.


Perhaps not exactly bigoted but definitely authoritarian and theocratic though.

I mean what's the point of calling something different if it's the same. All it does is insult and degrade the dignity of their relationships. Human dignity does count for something in my book.
blobo23
Profile Joined February 2012
United Kingdom8 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 17:12:18
February 09 2012 17:09 GMT
#258
On February 10 2012 01:50 Saltydizzle wrote:
Gays should get marriage benefits, but not the title of marriage, sorry gays.


I don't understand why this bothers you? Why does the title of marriage matter to you... that some gay should not recieve it? Is it a word that dictates hetrosexuality. No. So therefore we should give it to them...

Origins of the word(wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage) : + Show Spoiler +
The modern English word "marriage" derives from Middle English mariage, which first appears in 1250–1300 C.E. This in turn is derived from Old French marier (to marry) and ultimately Latin marītāre meaning to provide with a husband or wife and marītāri meaning to get married. (The adjective marīt-us -a, -um meaning matrimonial or nuptial could also be used in the masculine form as a noun for "husband" and in the feminine form for "wife."


- There is no necessary conditions of which both people have to be of opposite sexs.

C'mon, Let's beat this stigma. As a race, we are better than this. It's a rediculious notion not to allow homosexuals marriage, especially for those whose faith does not require stupidity and bigotry. If you're God is not telling you that this is wrong, then don't precieve it to be wrong, you never know, in a billion years time we may have evolved so that homosexuality actually allows reproduction. For what is evolution, random "mutation" followed by natural selection. What if people being born homosexual is just that next step, obviously there are flaws with that concept, but It was just to get you thinking.

If you're God is telling you that it is wrong. Then get a new God.. or even better, non at all. To be honest, anyone against this to me is a bigot, and somebody who needs to look at themselves, and why they have this social stigma. It's not promoting people to go against reproduction (seen that argument in here). Hey, I've got nothing wrong with gay marriage, but it doesn't mean I now like boys... Especially with that argument the biggest problem with stopping reproduction is actually the emancipation of women. The fact that in the 20th and 21st century woman have started to want to get a career and not be a housewife has lead to a lot of marriages leading to having no children at all, or very late. So if you're worried about our species dying out... Well why don't you go chain your wife to the kitchen, make her cook you a sandwhich and then give you babies, but nobody in there right mind these days thinks like that seriously, and it should be the same for homosexuals.

I sigh with relief after reading this thread, seeing that America is slowly becoming a place of rationality and freedom, something it told its people they had on its creation.

I also think the starcraft community especially could learn a lesson or two from not being homophobic, the amount of people, especially on NA server who use "fag" as a BM term... I feel like we're still living in the 50's. But I guess i am not really used to it as normally its just the uneducated here in Britian whom say such things as religion doesn't play as big a role in our country as America.

Sorry for the TL;DR post.

<3 Gay rights.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
zalz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Netherlands3704 Posts
February 09 2012 17:11 GMT
#259
Seperate but equal. Lol.

History really does seem to repeat itself at times.
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
February 09 2012 17:12 GMT
#260
On February 10 2012 02:04 VediVeci wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2012 01:55 Mohdoo wrote:
On February 10 2012 01:44 VediVeci wrote:
On February 10 2012 00:49 Rainmaker21 wrote:
On February 10 2012 00:28 VediVeci wrote:
“[Those] who vote against gay marriage are not, nor should they be accused of bigotry. Those of us who support this legislation are not, and we should not be accused of, undermining family life or religious freedom.”
- State Senator Ed Murray, sponsor of bill legalizing gay marriage in Washington State

I think its worth noting the words of Murray (a gay man) before hurling accusations of bigotry, zealotry, fundamentalism etc around.


At the end of the day, history will call those who opposed gay marriage bigots. Just as history calls those who opposed interracial marriage racists. After reading this discussion, I'm totally okay with that.


I think there are two discussions happening simultaneously here. One about gay-rights and one about the exact definition of marriage. If you oppose gay marriage because you think marriage is a heterosexual institution but support an equivalent one for homosexuality, then you are not necessarily bigoted. If you oppose gay marriage because you don't think gays should have rights, then you are (almost certainly) bigoted. I hope history recognizes that nuance, but I am more inclined to think that you're correct.


Its still being bigoted because it is someone saying that their definition of marriage should be the one that all other people must live their lives by. Its pushing their views on the personal lives of other people. Religious terms vary a lot from religion to religion. People don't necessarily agree on that definition and people should be allowed to live their lives based on their own definitions of spiritual terms.

Even despite all of this, the term marriage has managed to migrate to government matters as well. There is nothing unnatural or unheard of for a religious term to eventually make its way into non-religious situations. A marriage license is a legal document. Marriage is no longer a religious-exclusive term.


Marriage as a heterosexual institution has been around for thousands of years. It is possible to be simultaneously for preserving the traditional definition of marriage and for giving gays equal rights. If all we are talking about is an issue of semantics (what is the exact definition of marriage), then it isn't an issue of bigotry. You call people from Africa and Asia African and Asian not because they don't have equal rights but because Africa and Asia aren't the same thing. That doesn't mean you are discriminating against either group. It (can be) the same thing with gay rights. If there is an equivalent institution to marriage available to homosexuals, that's not necessarily discriminatory, and those calling for it aren't ipso facto bigoted.

Edited conclusion


It being around for thousands of years as a form of reasoning is an appeal to tradition, which is a logical fallacy. You can't use that in an argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition

There was also opposition to blood transfusions and pain medications in the past because it was considered playing god. It was too big of a change from how things used to be, but that isn't a good reason. Your example of African vs Asian is not comparable because its not like we would fight to refer to them as that. If Africans wanted to be known as something else, we wouldn't fight it. Sure, call yourselves whatever you want. What outlawing gay marriage does is remove someone's capability to recognize their personal relationship as what they wish to.

Legal recognition is also seen as a sign of respect and acceptance, which is of course important to someone. Obviously a lack of legal recognition is a sign of the opposite when legal recognition is given to others. I'm not homosexual, so I can't give a first hand account, but I would imagine it feels very secluded/shunned and disrespectful to be told your expression of love is not legally recognized, while most people you know have no such problems.
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 29 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
davetesta40
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ByuN 199
CosmosSc2 53
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1901
GuemChi 1294
Artosis 658
910 41
Bale 18
MaD[AoV]18
Dota 2
monkeys_forever301
League of Legends
JimRising 799
Counter-Strike
taco 244
minikerr8
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox670
Other Games
summit1g8783
Day[9].tv705
shahzam646
C9.Mang0317
Trikslyr47
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick560
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream17
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter1410
• Hinosc 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur723
• Day9tv705
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
15h 9m
The PondCast
1d 9h
INu's Battles
1d 10h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 21h
Replay Cast
1d 22h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.