• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:20
CEST 23:20
KST 06:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20269Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9090 users

Combating piracy - Page 32

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 30 31 32 33 34 45 Next All
uiCk
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
Canada1925 Posts
December 01 2011 23:43 GMT
#621
On December 02 2011 08:36 Whitewing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2011 08:27 XerrolAvengerII wrote:
I pirated witcher 2 and deus ex human revolution, and after playing some of those games I am hugely thankful that I didn't buy either of them, because if I had I would have raged my head off at how much they irritated me in terms of performance, controls, or mechanics.

Pirating is like free insurance for the gamer... if
A) game runs on the machine - respectably
B) game is also fun / not-irritating
then
C) buy the game...

Piracy protects the gaming consumer from bad game designers and distributors by protecting their money and allowing them to invest into the games and companies of worth! The gaming market has been crutching company names and flashy advertising to sell games, even when the quality has been slowly dropping. Piracy is an "abusable" tool that gamers should use to help them decide which game designers they want to encourage...

If you want more good games, you buy the games from good companies. Consider it natural selection to an extent.

And like i mentioned above, Piracy is an abusable tool, it SHOULD be used to inform gamers of quality... although, many people ABUSE it in order to keep unlicensed copies of software.

Nuff said.


Piracy isn't a tool for anything, it's illegal and people need to stop trying to justify stealing.

to copy is not stealing. It's not illegal everywhere, and who cares about legality? alcohol used to be illegal. now its legal. Is it bad or is it good? who cares.
I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids
SoulWager
Profile Joined August 2010
United States464 Posts
December 01 2011 23:45 GMT
#622
make buying it easier than downloading a torrent, problem solved.
uiCk
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
Canada1925 Posts
December 01 2011 23:50 GMT
#623
On December 02 2011 08:45 SoulWager wrote:
make buying it easier than downloading a torrent, problem solved.

this. All the industries are being forced to come up with new ways of selling their crap. Good example is the movie industry, with 3D. found new cash crop, and people are enjoying 3D. Good for them, though they will have to innovate at some point in the future. it's not because of pirating and 3D that "regular" movies will not be made anymore. They will just be less mainstream, which is ok, because people mostly pirate mainstream shit anyways. Which IMO is ok, because its junk anyways. i still gladly play 5-15$ at cinemas to watch old classics and shit, even though ive seen them plenty of times etc. I've bought D2 numerous times, same with SC, same with most games i truly enjoy.
I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
December 01 2011 23:54 GMT
#624
On December 02 2011 08:43 uiCk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2011 08:36 Whitewing wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:27 XerrolAvengerII wrote:
I pirated witcher 2 and deus ex human revolution, and after playing some of those games I am hugely thankful that I didn't buy either of them, because if I had I would have raged my head off at how much they irritated me in terms of performance, controls, or mechanics.

Pirating is like free insurance for the gamer... if
A) game runs on the machine - respectably
B) game is also fun / not-irritating
then
C) buy the game...

Piracy protects the gaming consumer from bad game designers and distributors by protecting their money and allowing them to invest into the games and companies of worth! The gaming market has been crutching company names and flashy advertising to sell games, even when the quality has been slowly dropping. Piracy is an "abusable" tool that gamers should use to help them decide which game designers they want to encourage...

If you want more good games, you buy the games from good companies. Consider it natural selection to an extent.

And like i mentioned above, Piracy is an abusable tool, it SHOULD be used to inform gamers of quality... although, many people ABUSE it in order to keep unlicensed copies of software.

Nuff said.


Piracy isn't a tool for anything, it's illegal and people need to stop trying to justify stealing.

to copy is not stealing. It's not illegal everywhere, and who cares about legality? alcohol used to be illegal. now its legal. Is it bad or is it good? who cares.


It's stealing IP. You're taking something that belongs to someone else without permission of the owner, and without paying for it. That's stealing by definition.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
Spitfire
Profile Joined September 2009
South Africa442 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-02 00:00:54
December 02 2011 00:00 GMT
#625
On December 02 2011 08:43 uiCk wrote:
to copy is not stealing. It's not illegal everywhere, and who cares about legality? alcohol used to be illegal. now its legal. Is it bad or is it good? who cares.


Not really the same thing though is it? Cause when you're pirating you're taking something others put work into and on which their livelihood depends and not paying them for it.
H0i
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands484 Posts
December 02 2011 00:06 GMT
#626
On December 02 2011 08:54 Whitewing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2011 08:43 uiCk wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:36 Whitewing wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:27 XerrolAvengerII wrote:
I pirated witcher 2 and deus ex human revolution, and after playing some of those games I am hugely thankful that I didn't buy either of them, because if I had I would have raged my head off at how much they irritated me in terms of performance, controls, or mechanics.

Pirating is like free insurance for the gamer... if
A) game runs on the machine - respectably
B) game is also fun / not-irritating
then
C) buy the game...

Piracy protects the gaming consumer from bad game designers and distributors by protecting their money and allowing them to invest into the games and companies of worth! The gaming market has been crutching company names and flashy advertising to sell games, even when the quality has been slowly dropping. Piracy is an "abusable" tool that gamers should use to help them decide which game designers they want to encourage...

If you want more good games, you buy the games from good companies. Consider it natural selection to an extent.

And like i mentioned above, Piracy is an abusable tool, it SHOULD be used to inform gamers of quality... although, many people ABUSE it in order to keep unlicensed copies of software.

Nuff said.


Piracy isn't a tool for anything, it's illegal and people need to stop trying to justify stealing.

to copy is not stealing. It's not illegal everywhere, and who cares about legality? alcohol used to be illegal. now its legal. Is it bad or is it good? who cares.


It's stealing IP. You're taking something that belongs to someone else without permission of the owner, and without paying for it. That's stealing by definition.


You could hardly call a collection of 1's and 0's someone's property.

But no, it is not stealing, because the original material does not disappear. The original material and the copies of it are copied.
H0i
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands484 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-02 00:08:04
December 02 2011 00:07 GMT
#627
On December 02 2011 09:00 Spitfire wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2011 08:43 uiCk wrote:
to copy is not stealing. It's not illegal everywhere, and who cares about legality? alcohol used to be illegal. now its legal. Is it bad or is it good? who cares.


Not really the same thing though is it? Cause when you're pirating you're taking something others put work into and on which their livelihood depends and not paying them for it.


I don't see any people being fired (edit: in the industry). I do see income for and expansion of game studios. Movies and concerts visited more than ever. What's the problem?
MattBarry
Profile Joined March 2011
United States4006 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-02 00:09:35
December 02 2011 00:08 GMT
#628
I've pirated old games cause I don't feel like getting the CDs from my attic. Oh well. I also pirate games that I bought on consoles but I want to play on the PC. Fuck you Bethesda, I'm not buying FO3 again. Consider the $60 I paid in DLC your damn payment.
Platinum Support GOD
jinixxx123
Profile Joined June 2010
543 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-02 00:17:21
December 02 2011 00:12 GMT
#629
unlike all you other folks, i will openly admit im a pirate and i was one of the downloaders for the witcher 2. (currently have batman arkham city downloading and just recently finished downloading saints row 3, i download my skyrim over a week ago.

However i'd like to say, this fact could not be more true ( 1 download does not equal a sales lost)

If i could not pirate the game i would simply do without it. There are so many titles out there that were to stressful to pirate the game and i still did not buy it, because I dont consider (especially <20hr single player experiences) to be worth 50-60$

then there are games like duke nukem forever where it should be a SIN to even charge money for it, the game is so bad its not even worth being pirated yet paying 60 bucks for it? just wow.


The only games immune to piracy are strong multiplayer ones, such as starcraft 2, call of duty etc etc.. Those games do fine because of the multiplayer being its strongest aspect.

why do i pirate games?

for 1 i know i can get away with it, because i live in a poor 3rd country, piracy is rampant over here, police shop in bootleg dvd stores for the latest movies, nothing will be done about it

and 2, big game developers never ship directly to 3rd world countrys', so anything that comes to us is threw a middle man which means even more expenses than the regular cost of a game.
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
December 02 2011 00:15 GMT
#630
On December 02 2011 09:06 H0i wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2011 08:54 Whitewing wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:43 uiCk wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:36 Whitewing wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:27 XerrolAvengerII wrote:
I pirated witcher 2 and deus ex human revolution, and after playing some of those games I am hugely thankful that I didn't buy either of them, because if I had I would have raged my head off at how much they irritated me in terms of performance, controls, or mechanics.

Pirating is like free insurance for the gamer... if
A) game runs on the machine - respectably
B) game is also fun / not-irritating
then
C) buy the game...

Piracy protects the gaming consumer from bad game designers and distributors by protecting their money and allowing them to invest into the games and companies of worth! The gaming market has been crutching company names and flashy advertising to sell games, even when the quality has been slowly dropping. Piracy is an "abusable" tool that gamers should use to help them decide which game designers they want to encourage...

If you want more good games, you buy the games from good companies. Consider it natural selection to an extent.

And like i mentioned above, Piracy is an abusable tool, it SHOULD be used to inform gamers of quality... although, many people ABUSE it in order to keep unlicensed copies of software.

Nuff said.


Piracy isn't a tool for anything, it's illegal and people need to stop trying to justify stealing.

to copy is not stealing. It's not illegal everywhere, and who cares about legality? alcohol used to be illegal. now its legal. Is it bad or is it good? who cares.


It's stealing IP. You're taking something that belongs to someone else without permission of the owner, and without paying for it. That's stealing by definition.


You could hardly call a collection of 1's and 0's someone's property.

But no, it is not stealing, because the original material does not disappear. The original material and the copies of it are copied.


That's why it's called piracy, but you are still taking someone's property. And do you not understand the concept of intellectual property? I can and will call a collection of 1's and 0's someone's intellectual property, it's the entire concept of programming.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
Konaa
Profile Joined April 2011
103 Posts
December 02 2011 00:17 GMT
#631
Lots of people pirate just to get around the annoying DRM.
jinixxx123
Profile Joined June 2010
543 Posts
December 02 2011 00:20 GMT
#632
On December 02 2011 09:17 Konaa wrote:
Lots of people pirate just to get around the annoying DRM.



as a huge pirate myself, i totally disagree with this, We pirate the game because we can get away with it. thats the only reason.
Infinite Lurker
Profile Joined January 2011
United States24 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-02 00:28:14
December 02 2011 00:25 GMT
#633
I can't believe how long it took me to read this entire thread, and I consider myself a pretty fast reader. Anyway, my view is that pirating games is wrong, with very few exceptions.

As someone mentioned before, I feel like a sucker for buying what others get for free, because unlike Drone, I have never had the chance to pirate. When i was under 16, my parents bought games for me. When i got older, I could work over the summers at $8.50 an hour to afford the few games I enjoyed. I know I'm lucky to have a great minimum wage and opportunities at a young age, but it's my understanding that most 1st world countries have either a decent minimum wage or collective bargaining rights / industry standards that allow for those without a college degree to get a decent pay.

For those who live in third world countries, countries like australia where the prices for digital goods are blatant insults to the consumer, or those who live alone without a steady job (living with my parents negates cost of living), I understand why you might torrent, but I also suggest, probably ignorantly, that playing too many video games might not be the best hobby. This is because I feel like torrenting does, in fact, hurt the industry.

Elder scrolls began with two buggy, truly mediocre games. However, because people were willing to buy a game that they weren't 100 % sure they would love, the series lives on, and manifests itself in Skyrim, a great (though still buggy -_- ) game. When people say they would not buy a game without pirating it, they're forgetting that, without pirating, they wouldn't be playing it at all, and they would never truly know what they were missing. This excitement can lead to people buying games produced by smaller studios, and their success leads to more, and better, games. It's true that the video game market is doing better than ever, but I can't seem to think of a good game developer that took hold in the market in the last 5 years.

The convenience argument is bs with Steam. You can't honestly say that downloading a game off steam, or ordering it through amazon, is that much tougher than torrenting it. I also don't like the argument "developers only want our money", because, by law, they're obligated to make as much money as possible for their stockholders.

Lastly, I understand piracy can have positive effects. The free week of portal offered by valve was an ingenious way to revive interest in the game, especially with portal 2 being developed. But the idea that playing is a right and paying is optional is just something I don't think I can agree with. Still, please torrent modern warfare, because that series is a joke.
"When Song's archon is EMP'd, it becomes essentially retarded"
BlueBoxSC
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States582 Posts
December 02 2011 00:28 GMT
#634
I bought Skyrim a week after it came out, went to the midnight release with my buddies, and didn't buy the game then because I didn't know how good it would be. I played all night with my friends and saved some money. It wasn't bad, and didn't require me to pirate the game.
BwCBlueBox.837
Runnin
Profile Joined May 2010
208 Posts
December 02 2011 00:35 GMT
#635
On December 02 2011 09:08 MattBarry wrote:
I've pirated old games cause I don't feel like getting the CDs from my attic. Oh well. I also pirate games that I bought on consoles but I want to play on the PC. Fuck you Bethesda, I'm not buying FO3 again. Consider the $60 I paid in DLC your damn payment.


I don't really think what you're doing is the same as pirating. Sure you may be getting the game from the same source as a pirate, but you've paid for the IP already. If I were you I wouldn't feel bad about it, and I've been one of the more stubborn/goodie-two-shoes in this thread.
H0i
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands484 Posts
December 02 2011 00:40 GMT
#636
On December 02 2011 09:15 Whitewing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2011 09:06 H0i wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:54 Whitewing wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:43 uiCk wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:36 Whitewing wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:27 XerrolAvengerII wrote:
I pirated witcher 2 and deus ex human revolution, and after playing some of those games I am hugely thankful that I didn't buy either of them, because if I had I would have raged my head off at how much they irritated me in terms of performance, controls, or mechanics.

Pirating is like free insurance for the gamer... if
A) game runs on the machine - respectably
B) game is also fun / not-irritating
then
C) buy the game...

Piracy protects the gaming consumer from bad game designers and distributors by protecting their money and allowing them to invest into the games and companies of worth! The gaming market has been crutching company names and flashy advertising to sell games, even when the quality has been slowly dropping. Piracy is an "abusable" tool that gamers should use to help them decide which game designers they want to encourage...

If you want more good games, you buy the games from good companies. Consider it natural selection to an extent.

And like i mentioned above, Piracy is an abusable tool, it SHOULD be used to inform gamers of quality... although, many people ABUSE it in order to keep unlicensed copies of software.

Nuff said.


Piracy isn't a tool for anything, it's illegal and people need to stop trying to justify stealing.

to copy is not stealing. It's not illegal everywhere, and who cares about legality? alcohol used to be illegal. now its legal. Is it bad or is it good? who cares.


It's stealing IP. You're taking something that belongs to someone else without permission of the owner, and without paying for it. That's stealing by definition.


You could hardly call a collection of 1's and 0's someone's property.

But no, it is not stealing, because the original material does not disappear. The original material and the copies of it are copied.


That's why it's called piracy, but you are still taking someone's property. And do you not understand the concept of intellectual property? I can and will call a collection of 1's and 0's someone's intellectual property, it's the entire concept of programming.


I am not taking property. The property does not disappear and is not damaged in any way.

I do not understand the concept of intellectual property. I understand what you mean with it, but I do not believe in it. What good does it do? How can intellectuality be property? I simply do not believe someone can own such a thing, but then, I do not believe in our "society" of today, I do not believe in it's workings and this idea of property is one of them. I believe in an enlightened society, and not in this one.

That's all I wanted to say, I'm not going to continue the discussion because there is nothing left to say.
MattBarry
Profile Joined March 2011
United States4006 Posts
December 02 2011 00:45 GMT
#637
On December 02 2011 09:40 H0i wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2011 09:15 Whitewing wrote:
On December 02 2011 09:06 H0i wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:54 Whitewing wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:43 uiCk wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:36 Whitewing wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:27 XerrolAvengerII wrote:
I pirated witcher 2 and deus ex human revolution, and after playing some of those games I am hugely thankful that I didn't buy either of them, because if I had I would have raged my head off at how much they irritated me in terms of performance, controls, or mechanics.

Pirating is like free insurance for the gamer... if
A) game runs on the machine - respectably
B) game is also fun / not-irritating
then
C) buy the game...

Piracy protects the gaming consumer from bad game designers and distributors by protecting their money and allowing them to invest into the games and companies of worth! The gaming market has been crutching company names and flashy advertising to sell games, even when the quality has been slowly dropping. Piracy is an "abusable" tool that gamers should use to help them decide which game designers they want to encourage...

If you want more good games, you buy the games from good companies. Consider it natural selection to an extent.

And like i mentioned above, Piracy is an abusable tool, it SHOULD be used to inform gamers of quality... although, many people ABUSE it in order to keep unlicensed copies of software.

Nuff said.


Piracy isn't a tool for anything, it's illegal and people need to stop trying to justify stealing.

to copy is not stealing. It's not illegal everywhere, and who cares about legality? alcohol used to be illegal. now its legal. Is it bad or is it good? who cares.


It's stealing IP. You're taking something that belongs to someone else without permission of the owner, and without paying for it. That's stealing by definition.


You could hardly call a collection of 1's and 0's someone's property.

But no, it is not stealing, because the original material does not disappear. The original material and the copies of it are copied.


That's why it's called piracy, but you are still taking someone's property. And do you not understand the concept of intellectual property? I can and will call a collection of 1's and 0's someone's intellectual property, it's the entire concept of programming.


I am not taking property. The property does not disappear and is not damaged in any way.

I do not understand the concept of intellectual property. I understand what you mean with it, but I do not believe in it. What good does it do? How can intellectuality be property? I simply do not believe someone can own such a thing, but then, I do not believe in our "society" of today, I do not believe in it's workings and this idea of property is one of them. I believe in an enlightened society, and not in this one.

That's all I wanted to say, I'm not going to continue the discussion because there is nothing left to say.

That would make perfect sense if games didn't cost money to produce. You can't expect quality games to come from some dude who just makes games in his free time. Or even a few friends getting together to work on a game. A modern game cost A LOT to make. And companies need to be reimbursed for their efforts. It doesn't matter what you believe. What you believe doesn't fit practically into our economic system. Call our economic system stupid if you wish but that doesn't change the fact that you're damaging people who are just trying to make a living doing what they love.
Platinum Support GOD
Craze
Profile Joined July 2010
United States561 Posts
December 02 2011 00:49 GMT
#638
On December 02 2011 09:12 jinixxx123 wrote:
If i could not pirate the game i would simply do without it. There are so many titles out there that were to stressful to pirate the game and i still did not buy it, because I dont consider (especially <20hr single player experiences) to be worth 50-60$


This justification is a farce. Game companies sell their games at prices that guarantee them the largest net profits. If you don't want to pay 50+ for a game, wait a year and it'll be 30. If you don't want to pay that much then you shouldn't have the game. Making choices on how I spend my disposable income is an important part of life. Developing video games is a huge investment these days, companies that provide you with your entertainment have earned your money.
Runnin
Profile Joined May 2010
208 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-02 00:51:28
December 02 2011 00:49 GMT
#639
On December 02 2011 09:40 H0i wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2011 09:15 Whitewing wrote:
On December 02 2011 09:06 H0i wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:54 Whitewing wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:43 uiCk wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:36 Whitewing wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:27 XerrolAvengerII wrote:
I pirated witcher 2 and deus ex human revolution, and after playing some of those games I am hugely thankful that I didn't buy either of them, because if I had I would have raged my head off at how much they irritated me in terms of performance, controls, or mechanics.

Pirating is like free insurance for the gamer... if
A) game runs on the machine - respectably
B) game is also fun / not-irritating
then
C) buy the game...

Piracy protects the gaming consumer from bad game designers and distributors by protecting their money and allowing them to invest into the games and companies of worth! The gaming market has been crutching company names and flashy advertising to sell games, even when the quality has been slowly dropping. Piracy is an "abusable" tool that gamers should use to help them decide which game designers they want to encourage...

If you want more good games, you buy the games from good companies. Consider it natural selection to an extent.

And like i mentioned above, Piracy is an abusable tool, it SHOULD be used to inform gamers of quality... although, many people ABUSE it in order to keep unlicensed copies of software.

Nuff said.


Piracy isn't a tool for anything, it's illegal and people need to stop trying to justify stealing.

to copy is not stealing. It's not illegal everywhere, and who cares about legality? alcohol used to be illegal. now its legal. Is it bad or is it good? who cares.


It's stealing IP. You're taking something that belongs to someone else without permission of the owner, and without paying for it. That's stealing by definition.


You could hardly call a collection of 1's and 0's someone's property.

But no, it is not stealing, because the original material does not disappear. The original material and the copies of it are copied.


That's why it's called piracy, but you are still taking someone's property. And do you not understand the concept of intellectual property? I can and will call a collection of 1's and 0's someone's intellectual property, it's the entire concept of programming.


I am not taking property. The property does not disappear and is not damaged in any way.

I do not understand the concept of intellectual property. I understand what you mean with it, but I do not believe in it. What good does it do? How can intellectuality be property? I simply do not believe someone can own such a thing, but then, I do not believe in our "society" of today, I do not believe in it's workings and this idea of property is one of them. I believe in an enlightened society, and not in this one.

That's all I wanted to say, I'm not going to continue the discussion because there is nothing left to say.


Edited out my worthless post to add something constructive.

So you're saying if you wrote a book, you'd have no problem with me taking it, copying it, and selling it under my name? After all, you don't believe that you own the book that you wrote.
Tektos
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia1321 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-02 00:56:47
December 02 2011 00:51 GMT
#640
On December 02 2011 09:40 H0i wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2011 09:15 Whitewing wrote:
On December 02 2011 09:06 H0i wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:54 Whitewing wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:43 uiCk wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:36 Whitewing wrote:
On December 02 2011 08:27 XerrolAvengerII wrote:
I pirated witcher 2 and deus ex human revolution, and after playing some of those games I am hugely thankful that I didn't buy either of them, because if I had I would have raged my head off at how much they irritated me in terms of performance, controls, or mechanics.

Pirating is like free insurance for the gamer... if
A) game runs on the machine - respectably
B) game is also fun / not-irritating
then
C) buy the game...

Piracy protects the gaming consumer from bad game designers and distributors by protecting their money and allowing them to invest into the games and companies of worth! The gaming market has been crutching company names and flashy advertising to sell games, even when the quality has been slowly dropping. Piracy is an "abusable" tool that gamers should use to help them decide which game designers they want to encourage...

If you want more good games, you buy the games from good companies. Consider it natural selection to an extent.

And like i mentioned above, Piracy is an abusable tool, it SHOULD be used to inform gamers of quality... although, many people ABUSE it in order to keep unlicensed copies of software.

Nuff said.


Piracy isn't a tool for anything, it's illegal and people need to stop trying to justify stealing.

to copy is not stealing. It's not illegal everywhere, and who cares about legality? alcohol used to be illegal. now its legal. Is it bad or is it good? who cares.


It's stealing IP. You're taking something that belongs to someone else without permission of the owner, and without paying for it. That's stealing by definition.


You could hardly call a collection of 1's and 0's someone's property.

But no, it is not stealing, because the original material does not disappear. The original material and the copies of it are copied.


That's why it's called piracy, but you are still taking someone's property. And do you not understand the concept of intellectual property? I can and will call a collection of 1's and 0's someone's intellectual property, it's the entire concept of programming.


I am not taking property. The property does not disappear and is not damaged in any way.

I do not understand the concept of intellectual property. I understand what you mean with it, but I do not believe in it. What good does it do? How can intellectuality be property? I simply do not believe someone can own such a thing, but then, I do not believe in our "society" of today, I do not believe in it's workings and this idea of property is one of them. I believe in an enlightened society, and not in this one.

That's all I wanted to say, I'm not going to continue the discussion because there is nothing left to say.


Someone's hard work, money and effort has gone in to inventing that intellectual property. The reason they do this is to sell the use of that intellectual property for the purposes of entertainment.

Think of Intellectual Property as if it is a service.

You can pay someone to wash your car or mow your lawn. Technically they aren't giving you any physical "thing".

Does this mean you also consider that not paying someone who provided you with a service to not be stealing? Do you consider it morally correct to not pay someone who provided you with their hard work and effort?


With Intellectual Property (in this case video games) you're paying someone for the time, effort and money they have invested into creating it in return for the benefits (entertainment) of using that product.
Prev 1 30 31 32 33 34 45 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 651
ProTech147
RuFF_SC2 122
Nina 105
Liquid`TLO 88
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 18737
firebathero 84
Bale 20
PianO 12
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
monkeys_forever236
canceldota44
League of Legends
Doublelift3271
Super Smash Bros
PPMD38
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu983
Other Games
summit1g6510
FrodaN1275
shahzam559
Beastyqt499
mouzStarbuck309
B2W.Neo271
ToD257
C9.Mang0192
RotterdaM93
Mew2King42
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile154
• StrangeGG 50
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 26
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1174
• Shiphtur627
Upcoming Events
OSC
55m
Replay Cast
1h 40m
OSC
1d 1h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 12h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 19h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 21h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.