• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:32
CEST 16:32
KST 23:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8625 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 29

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 27 28 29 30 31 69 Next
Pandaz
Profile Joined July 2010
Australia52 Posts
November 09 2011 05:42 GMT
#561
On November 09 2011 14:36 gregdetre wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2011 14:32 TheKwas wrote:
Having "300 words" isn't that much exciting than having '250' words, but being promoted from "Korean vocab idiot lvl 3" to "Korean vocab Padawan lvl 4" is pretty cool (PS: Please make atleast one rank title "jedi" :D), especially if I get an icon along with the promotion. If you look at popular addictive games, they often use a similar system of achievements to reward dedication. World of Warcraft players will 'grind' (do repetitive, dull tasks) for hours just to gain a level and get "+2% frost damage" or something similar. Even in starcraft, many people play games largely to obtain the icons you get when you get "100 wins" or something similar.
.


Over beers one evening, we came up with a plan for a ranking system, ranging from Membryo all the way up to Memperor. You've almost convinced me we should revive it...

I wholeheartedly support this notion.

On another note, I love how short the sessions are. Can easily fit a few in while waiting for things. Love this site.
Cool Cat
Profile Joined June 2009
United States1644 Posts
November 09 2011 06:00 GMT
#562
I find that the scoring system used in Memrise does not encourage learning new words should one wish to maximize their score as quickly as possible, although doing so rather defeats the entire purpose of doing Memrise in the first place. Also, when one learns more words, the task of watering the "wilting" plants becomes rather tedious, especially when you have 500+ words to water.
tianGO
Profile Joined August 2010
Argentina591 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-09 06:08:55
November 09 2011 06:08 GMT
#563
This is amazing.

Greg, do you play Starcraft, or did you find out about it here in TL? :D
"He who controls the present, controls the past. He who controls the past, controls the future."
iMYoonA
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia462 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-09 06:40:19
November 09 2011 06:21 GMT
#564
Hi,

im doing this, i am TL-BOMBERWINCODESPLEASE, learning korean

cheers!

and english, cos you can ALWAYS get better at english
*yoona | taeyeon | jiyeon | na eun | cho rong | IU | nana | suzy | yejin*
mcgriddle
Profile Joined April 2009
United States253 Posts
November 09 2011 06:44 GMT
#565
I love the rank idea and the sentence idea. Being forced to adjust vocabulary (such as verb conjugations) are a huge downfall for me. My roomate also thinks there should be clans/teams that can have a leaderboard like the individual, but I think that the website needs to get bigger first.
Reason obeys itself....and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
Yenticha
Profile Joined July 2010
257 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-09 10:21:31
November 09 2011 06:56 GMT
#566
hey,

great website, loving it! Learning traditional Chinese.

I do have a small bug: tried to switch from "reading" to "pronunciation" in the options. It worked. I tried to switch back, the button is indeed on "reading", but when I water the words, etc, its still only showing the pronunciation. Anyway to get back to reading without deleting/adding the language? (no biggie, trad chinese is split in a lot of different books)

edit: tried to delete/re add to dashboard: fail

is there ANY way to change the default kind of test back to "reading" for traditional Chinese? I am stuck with "pronunciation" style quizzes when I have to water words...
(and yes, I can have "custom" sessions of 10 questions with the "reading" style by going through "more options" and clicking "learn", but its rather tedious, and does not solve the issue with regular quizzes (watering wilting words) )
Hemula
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Russian Federation1849 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-09 07:14:28
November 09 2011 07:09 GMT
#567
Is there an option to skip a word if you already know it?

Also I don't seem to load an avatar. Says my image file is corrupted or is not an image file.

I too would like to see a ranking system~...
Steveling
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Greece10806 Posts
November 09 2011 07:44 GMT
#568
Memrise y u no have japanese version! >.<
Oh well, I always wanted to learn spanish.
My dick has shrunk to the point where it looks like I have 3 balls.
Tal
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
United Kingdom1018 Posts
November 09 2011 07:48 GMT
#569
Really enjoying this - it's great to have the TL team swapping high 5's and doing well together.

After you've been doing it for a bit, open up your garden and just glance at the different words and see how many you instantly know. It's damn satisfying.
It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.
Pandaz
Profile Joined July 2010
Australia52 Posts
November 09 2011 08:28 GMT
#570
On November 09 2011 16:44 Steveling wrote:
Memrise y u no have japanese version! >.<
Oh well, I always wanted to learn spanish.

Try here: http://www.memrise.com/topic/japanese/
Mithriel
Profile Joined November 2010
Netherlands2969 Posts
November 09 2011 08:44 GMT
#571
lol at the mems of the moment
Mems of the moment
Spanish the star › la estrella
For TL users: A star player like Xellos played on this map in WCG 2005.
There is no shame in defeat so long as the spirit is unconquered. | Cheering for Maru, Innovation and MMA!
SCPhineas
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands119 Posts
November 09 2011 09:29 GMT
#572
Totally missed those options..Thanks a lot Trezeguet and Ulan-bat! Now.. more spanish!
Pika Chu
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Romania2510 Posts
November 09 2011 10:28 GMT
#573
Thanks Greg, and congrats on the very fine idea of the site.

I will try to contribute myself to it (romanian) in the week-end.
They first ignore you. After they laugh at you. Next they will fight you. In the end you will win.
Silentness
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2821 Posts
November 09 2011 10:28 GMT
#574
감삼니다! The hard part is getting use to typing out Hangul without looking at the keys. I'm slowly remembering where each key goes on the keyboard.
GL HF... YOLO..lololollol.
AmericanUmlaut
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2597 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-09 10:57:12
November 09 2011 10:55 GMT
#575
I think the ranking system is a really good idea. At the moment, you kind of have to search out a list that fits the level you think you want to study at. It would be really cool if I could just say I'm learning Japanese and have the system throw 25 words at me (like placement matches on ladder, if you're familiar with SC2) and use those to determine about what level of vocabulary I should start getting seeded with.

Another thing that I would really like to see (in addition to all the feedback I've been spamming at you guys from your own UI) is the ability to tell the program how many seeds I want to be getting each day, rather than having to manually add a new batch of seeds. The optimal experience for me would be, I log in, click a big button, and am run through all my new seeds and all my plants that require watering from all my word lists (with the option to mark lists as being mixable, since I have for example two Japanese word lists), then I can log back out and continue my day.

The way it is now, to accomplish the same task, I have to perform the following steps:

- Add seeds to list 1
- Return to dashboard
- Add seeds to list 2
- Return to dashboard
- Add seeds to list 3
- Return to dashboard
- Add seeds to list 4
- Return to dashboard
- Water list 1
- Return to dashboard
- Water list 2
- Return to dashboard
- Water list 3
- Return to dashboard
- Water list 4
- Return to dashboard

That's really clunky UI design.

Also, if you're looking for web programmers, you should shoot me a line. This looks like a project I'd really like to be more involved in .

Edit: Also, last night I was laying in bed and I suddenly realized that "Memrise" is a play on "memorize." I lolled. Well played, sirs.
The frumious Bandersnatch
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
November 09 2011 11:11 GMT
#576
The ranking is the less important part of it... do you guys seriously try to reach the top of the ranking?

What is really neat in it all is the seed/garden system. It really helps you to memorize in long term.

I believe that the questions where you are required to type help you memorize the words so much faster, I didnt try to configure it quite yet, but if you can set up the questions to type only that would be awesome!
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
AmericanUmlaut
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2597 Posts
November 09 2011 11:11 GMT
#577
One more bit of feedback (new post to reduce the wall-of-text effect):

It would be really cool if you could associate answers with each other. In a lot of languages, you can tell part of speech instantly by the shape of the word. In Japanese, you can instantly recognize whether a word is a verb or not, but I keep getting quizzed with verbs and three of the possible answers are nouns. It would be much better if only identical parts of speech were listed. Even better would be if similar answers were given priority over dissimilar answers. You could even harvest that information yourself, by weighting answers based on how many people had mistakenly selected them for a given word.
The frumious Bandersnatch
HotShizz
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
France710 Posts
November 09 2011 11:15 GMT
#578
@gregdetre... I am not sure if this has been discussed in this thread, but I have to imagine that the ideas have run for you all before, but have you thought of making this accessible as a mobile service, I am thinking especially of iOS devices... it would be great to have the same lists, but be able to download to use them without 3G or wi-fi, and then just update to the network when in wi-fi range... also, pretty sure you'd get more notice, and people would probably be willing to pay (at least a few dollars) for the service and ability to take it with them in the metros or buses, etc; (I would definitely)... obviously first thing is first, finishing the site, but I thought I would toss my two cents in as well... obviously as a community we have been overwhelming you all with feature ideas, etc. but I hope it is all for the best and for your success at the site.
DarkEnergy
Profile Joined June 2011
Netherlands542 Posts
November 09 2011 11:45 GMT
#579
interesting will try it out
Thats right stimmed marines can outrun aeroplanes.Tasteless
bardtown
Profile Joined June 2011
England2313 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-09 11:54:59
November 09 2011 11:51 GMT
#580
Great site, thanks so much for posting. Using it to learn Mandarin and might get some more French practice on there. TL names storming the rankings , hopefully I'll be there at some point. Looking forward to learning all 3500 or so Mandarin words :D.

My name is TL-Bard, by the way, if anyone wants to chat or something. Is there a chat system?
Prev 1 27 28 29 30 31 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 28m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Railgan 95
Codebar 65
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 63287
Bisu 3104
FanTaSy 1185
Stork 743
Rush 558
hero 253
Snow 227
firebathero 200
Mind 104
Free 84
[ Show more ]
Last 75
Sexy 64
Sea.KH 63
Pusan 57
Sharp 57
ToSsGirL 42
Trap 33
Bale 28
Mong 25
Hm[arnc] 23
HiyA 21
Terrorterran 20
Rock 19
Aegong 17
yabsab 16
zelot 15
Noble 12
Sacsri 11
scan(afreeca) 10
IntoTheRainbow 9
Shine 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9058
Dendi917
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King92
Other Games
singsing2701
fl0m2388
Liquid`RaSZi1328
B2W.Neo676
Beastyqt622
Mlord409
Happy367
Khaldor333
KnowMe263
Hui .201
crisheroes191
olofmeister183
Chillindude68
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV260
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• HeavenSC 23
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FT.aCt)Sony4
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV540
League of Legends
• Nemesis4226
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1322
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
28m
BSL Open Qualifier
4h 28m
BSL Open Qualifier
4h 28m
OSC
8h 28m
Replay Cast
8h 28m
OSC
21h 28m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 20h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.