• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:00
CEST 21:00
KST 04:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9495 users

Republican nominations - Page 505

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 503 504 505 506 507 575 Next
Focuspants
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada780 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-02 06:07:00
March 02 2012 06:06 GMT
#10081
On March 02 2012 13:46 xDaunt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2012 13:40 1Eris1 wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:35 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:34 1Eris1 wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:30 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:25 1Eris1 wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:09 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 12:30 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
On March 02 2012 12:18 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 11:19 ticklishmusic wrote:
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/01/10552338-limbaugh-contraception-advocate-should-post-online-sex-videos

oh rush.

Rush's commentary on this is genius. How can people not appreciate how colossally stupid that Georgetown law student's testimony was?


You have got to be kidding me, you honestly believe that Employers should be able to dictate if women can/should receive contraception through their insurance?!


Does the concept of "free markets" ring a bell? If an employer (or in this case, a private Catholic school) does not want to offer free birth control to its employees (students), why should the federal government be able to force them to do so? More importantly, where in the Constitution does the federal government have that power? It's really as simple as that.



What if an employer (say they're some sort of deep baptist) says they believe the answer to cancer to be prayer, not kimo, and thus refuse to provide it?


If people want to buy that healthcare plan, then that's their problem.

Look, here's where I fundamentally differ from liberals: I believe that people should be responsible for themselves and making good decisions for themselves. Freedom has negative and positive consequences. I do not believe that it is the role of the federal government to police our lives and make decisions for us under the presumption that we're too stupid to do so.


And the problem with that idea is you fundamentally assume that everyone has the ability to be responsible for themselves. Some people are just born into positions that are literally unworkable, and they require help, simple as that.


So how large is this percentage of Americans that cannot help themselves? More to the point, is it large enough to warrant the federal government imposing paternalistic regulations on all Americans?


I don't think anybody knows the exact number, but it's pretty obvious that it's growing, and I guess that it would depend on if you consider a restriction on 4x people worse than the continued suffering of x people.


I agree with you that it's growing. It grows as an unintended consequence of every liberal welfare policy (and that's really what this birth control funding issue is) that purports to help the people that it is inevitably going to screw over. Rather than merely providing a safety net for people who are down on their luck, we're creating a permanent class of people who are dependent on the state for their very existence.


You have 50% more people on food stamps, than we have in total population in our country. I would say there are a lot of people born into nearly unworkable positions in America.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-02 06:08:16
March 02 2012 06:06 GMT
#10082
On March 02 2012 14:53 xDaunt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2012 14:35 Djzapz wrote:
On March 02 2012 14:07 Stratos_speAr wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:54 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:44 Stratos_speAr wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:41 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:38 Stratos_speAr wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:33 Defacer wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:09 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 12:47 Mohdoo wrote:
[quote]

What do you think insurance companies should be forced to offer?


Nothing.


Kind of defeats the concept of insurance.

Sometimes I wonder if Americans are just fighting for the freedom to let someone else rip them off.


That's basically what it is. People like xDaunt refuse to acknowledge how the world really works and think that the free market will fix everything just like it does in their magical hypothetical land. Unfortunately, that isn't how the world actually operates.


No, you have it wrong. I don't expect the free market to fix anything. That's not the point. The point is that people should be free to succeed and free to fail. If someone wants to buy shitty insurance, that's their problem, regardless of whether they have good reasons, bad reasons, or no reason at all for buying it. That's what freedom is.

Seriously, when did we become such a nation of pussies? What happened to self-reliance?



That is such a load of bullshit. No one is skirting self-reliance. The problem is that so many essential things aren't available to large amounts of the population if they are left to the free market. That's why the federal government mandates it, so everyone has equality of opportunity. This has absolutely nothing to do with equality of outcome, and your argument is a strawman and it's pathetic that you're bringing in that BS to this discussion.


So the federal government telling people what insurance they can buy, thereby limiting their options in the marketplace, promotes "equality of opportunity?" Really?

I have no idea what you're talking about, I know that you have no idea what I am talking about, and I am not even really sure that you know what you're talking about. This isn't the first time that this has happened, either. I'm going to do us both a favor and just ignore your posts from here on out.


You're just jumping around and saying random crap that has no relevance to the actual point whenever I bring up an argument that deals with yours. I was never talking about individual mandates to the employee to buy insurance. It's always been about requiring employers/insurance companies to cover healthcare needs and not allowing them to refuse to cover certain medical treatments.

Don't bother, xDaunt is pretty hopeless, and when he doesn't understand something, he inevitably accuses you of not understanding which is ironic. He's done it to me more than once and I've seen him do it to other people. People who disagree with his broken opinion are not "wrong", according to him they actually "don't understand", which is pretty ridiculous seeing how resistant he is to new information which he outright rejects because of his preconceived opinions.


The problem with posters like him is that I'll be talking about A, and he'll reply to my post and start talking about B, which inevitably is an irrelevant tangent. For example, in this latest episode, I spent several posts talking about self-reliance and how we should not need a paternalistic government in the context of government mandates relating to what services insurers provide, and this guy barges in and starts ranting about the glory of welfare programs and social safety net, which are irrelevant to what I was talking about.

As I have said countless times before, I'm not here to change anyone's mind. I'm here because good argument amuses me. Nothing more. If people respond to what I say with good arguments, I'm more than happy to respond in kind. Conversely, I'm not interested in arguing with people who consistently refuse to stay on point.

That's ridiculous. Seems to me like the whole concept of self-reliance relates to this absurdly individualistic notion of survival of the fittest, a very "right" thing to argue for. Sorry if I'm extrapolating, but that's basically what occurs to me. It seems obvious that welfare programs and safety nets are in direct opposition to the things you preach, so I don't know in what way you can say that he "barged" in with something completely alien to what you were talking about - it's closely related.

Self-reliance is generally the right, social safety nets are generally the left. What he brought up wasn't nonsense in any way... So what the hell dude?
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Focuspants
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada780 Posts
March 02 2012 06:09 GMT
#10083
On March 02 2012 13:54 xDaunt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2012 13:44 Stratos_speAr wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:41 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:38 Stratos_speAr wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:33 Defacer wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:09 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 12:47 Mohdoo wrote:
On March 02 2012 12:45 sc2superfan101 wrote:
On March 02 2012 12:30 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
On March 02 2012 12:18 xDaunt wrote:
[quote]
Rush's commentary on this is genius. How can people not appreciate how colossally stupid that Georgetown law student's testimony was?


You have got to be kidding me, you honestly believe that Employers should be able to dictate if women can/should receive contraception through their insurance?!

i certainly don't believe that the government has the right to force insurance companies to offer it.


What do you think insurance companies should be forced to offer?


Nothing.


Kind of defeats the concept of insurance.

Sometimes I wonder if Americans are just fighting for the freedom to let someone else rip them off.


That's basically what it is. People like xDaunt refuse to acknowledge how the world really works and think that the free market will fix everything just like it does in their magical hypothetical land. Unfortunately, that isn't how the world actually operates.


No, you have it wrong. I don't expect the free market to fix anything. That's not the point. The point is that people should be free to succeed and free to fail. If someone wants to buy shitty insurance, that's their problem, regardless of whether they have good reasons, bad reasons, or no reason at all for buying it. That's what freedom is.

Seriously, when did we become such a nation of pussies? What happened to self-reliance?



That is such a load of bullshit. No one is skirting self-reliance. The problem is that so many essential things aren't available to large amounts of the population if they are left to the free market. That's why the federal government mandates it, so everyone has equality of opportunity. This has absolutely nothing to do with equality of outcome, and your argument is a strawman and it's pathetic that you're bringing in that BS to this discussion.


So the federal government telling people what insurance they can buy, thereby limiting their options in the marketplace, promotes "equality of opportunity?" Really?

I have no idea what you're talking about, I know that you have no idea what I am talking about, and I am not even really sure that you know what you're talking about. This isn't the first time that this has happened, either. I'm going to do us both a favor and just ignore your posts from here on out.


Almost everyone his health care bill effects, CANT AFFORD HEALTH CARE. I love how republicans eat up this notion that people are losing freedom by being given government mandated healthcare. Why would you want health insurance forced on you, be free and have no insurance instead!
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-02 06:14:32
March 02 2012 06:14 GMT
#10084
On March 02 2012 15:09 Focuspants wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2012 13:54 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:44 Stratos_speAr wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:41 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:38 Stratos_speAr wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:33 Defacer wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:09 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 12:47 Mohdoo wrote:
On March 02 2012 12:45 sc2superfan101 wrote:
On March 02 2012 12:30 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
[quote]

You have got to be kidding me, you honestly believe that Employers should be able to dictate if women can/should receive contraception through their insurance?!

i certainly don't believe that the government has the right to force insurance companies to offer it.


What do you think insurance companies should be forced to offer?


Nothing.


Kind of defeats the concept of insurance.

Sometimes I wonder if Americans are just fighting for the freedom to let someone else rip them off.


That's basically what it is. People like xDaunt refuse to acknowledge how the world really works and think that the free market will fix everything just like it does in their magical hypothetical land. Unfortunately, that isn't how the world actually operates.


No, you have it wrong. I don't expect the free market to fix anything. That's not the point. The point is that people should be free to succeed and free to fail. If someone wants to buy shitty insurance, that's their problem, regardless of whether they have good reasons, bad reasons, or no reason at all for buying it. That's what freedom is.

Seriously, when did we become such a nation of pussies? What happened to self-reliance?



That is such a load of bullshit. No one is skirting self-reliance. The problem is that so many essential things aren't available to large amounts of the population if they are left to the free market. That's why the federal government mandates it, so everyone has equality of opportunity. This has absolutely nothing to do with equality of outcome, and your argument is a strawman and it's pathetic that you're bringing in that BS to this discussion.


So the federal government telling people what insurance they can buy, thereby limiting their options in the marketplace, promotes "equality of opportunity?" Really?

I have no idea what you're talking about, I know that you have no idea what I am talking about, and I am not even really sure that you know what you're talking about. This isn't the first time that this has happened, either. I'm going to do us both a favor and just ignore your posts from here on out.


Almost everyone his health care bill effects, CANT AFFORD HEALTH CARE. I love how republicans eat up this notion that people are losing freedom by being given government mandated healthcare. Why would you want health insurance forced on you, be free and have no insurance instead!

He doesn't understand the bill, but he also fundamentally doesn't understand the meaning "equality of opportunity". If everyone is basically "forced" to have the same health insurance like in Canada (which isn't the case in the US), that's pretty much perfect "equality of opportunity". I'm not saying it's the way to go, although I think it is, but yeah. Had to throw that in there.

Oh also, relative equality is awesome for a society. Like very awesome.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Focuspants
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada780 Posts
March 02 2012 06:20 GMT
#10085
On March 02 2012 15:14 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2012 15:09 Focuspants wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:54 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:44 Stratos_speAr wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:41 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:38 Stratos_speAr wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:33 Defacer wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:09 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 12:47 Mohdoo wrote:
On March 02 2012 12:45 sc2superfan101 wrote:
[quote]
i certainly don't believe that the government has the right to force insurance companies to offer it.


What do you think insurance companies should be forced to offer?


Nothing.


Kind of defeats the concept of insurance.

Sometimes I wonder if Americans are just fighting for the freedom to let someone else rip them off.


That's basically what it is. People like xDaunt refuse to acknowledge how the world really works and think that the free market will fix everything just like it does in their magical hypothetical land. Unfortunately, that isn't how the world actually operates.


No, you have it wrong. I don't expect the free market to fix anything. That's not the point. The point is that people should be free to succeed and free to fail. If someone wants to buy shitty insurance, that's their problem, regardless of whether they have good reasons, bad reasons, or no reason at all for buying it. That's what freedom is.

Seriously, when did we become such a nation of pussies? What happened to self-reliance?



That is such a load of bullshit. No one is skirting self-reliance. The problem is that so many essential things aren't available to large amounts of the population if they are left to the free market. That's why the federal government mandates it, so everyone has equality of opportunity. This has absolutely nothing to do with equality of outcome, and your argument is a strawman and it's pathetic that you're bringing in that BS to this discussion.


So the federal government telling people what insurance they can buy, thereby limiting their options in the marketplace, promotes "equality of opportunity?" Really?

I have no idea what you're talking about, I know that you have no idea what I am talking about, and I am not even really sure that you know what you're talking about. This isn't the first time that this has happened, either. I'm going to do us both a favor and just ignore your posts from here on out.


Almost everyone his health care bill effects, CANT AFFORD HEALTH CARE. I love how republicans eat up this notion that people are losing freedom by being given government mandated healthcare. Why would you want health insurance forced on you, be free and have no insurance instead!

He doesn't understand the bill, but he also fundamentally doesn't understand the meaning "equality of opportunity". If everyone is basically "forced" to have the same health insurance like in Canada (which isn't the case in the US), that's pretty much perfect "equality of opportunity". I'm not saying it's the way to go, although I think it is, but yeah. Had to throw that in there.

Oh also, relative equality is awesome for a society. Like very awesome.


Its sad, because people falling for these republican catch phrases completely ignore whats happening in reality. You guys have 50 million people on foodstamps. Thats almost 1 in 6 people. Thats incredible. Then you try to do something to help them, nothing even over the top, just give them basic neccessities like health care and education, and somehow it gets turned into som crazy rhetoric about socialism, communism, removal of freedoms. I dont understand how the party of the rich, has its majority voting base made up of the poor. Its mind boggling how uneducated and uninformed people are. Is the media that good at brainwashing people?
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
March 02 2012 06:20 GMT
#10086
On March 02 2012 15:06 Djzapz wrote:
That's ridiculous. Seems to me like the whole concept of self-reliance relates to this absurdly individualistic notion of survival of the fittest, a very "right" thing to argue for. Sorry if I'm extrapolating, but that's basically what occurs to me. It seems obvious that welfare programs and safety nets are in direct opposition to the things you preach, so I don't know in what way you can say that he "barged" in with something completely alien to what you were talking about - it's closely related.

Self-reliance is generally the right, social safety nets are generally the left. What he brought up wasn't nonsense in any way... So what the hell dude?


You'd be correct if I was advocating the elimination of federal social safety nets, which I clearly wasn't and do not. In fact, there's basically no one on the right who advocates the elimination of federally provided safety nets. Curtailment to various degrees? Yes, and usually only moderate in scope if at all. And even then, the general idea is to shift safety nets from being federally administered to being locally administered. No one advocates pure social darwinism. This is why bringing up social safety nets in the context of what I was discussing is irrelevant.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-02 06:44:53
March 02 2012 06:43 GMT
#10087
On March 02 2012 15:20 xDaunt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2012 15:06 Djzapz wrote:
That's ridiculous. Seems to me like the whole concept of self-reliance relates to this absurdly individualistic notion of survival of the fittest, a very "right" thing to argue for. Sorry if I'm extrapolating, but that's basically what occurs to me. It seems obvious that welfare programs and safety nets are in direct opposition to the things you preach, so I don't know in what way you can say that he "barged" in with something completely alien to what you were talking about - it's closely related.

Self-reliance is generally the right, social safety nets are generally the left. What he brought up wasn't nonsense in any way... So what the hell dude?


You'd be correct if I was advocating the elimination of federal social safety nets, which I clearly wasn't and do not. In fact, there's basically no one on the right who advocates the elimination of federally provided safety nets. Curtailment to various degrees? Yes, and usually only moderate in scope if at all. And even then, the general idea is to shift safety nets from being federally administered to being locally administered. No one advocates pure social darwinism. This is why bringing up social safety nets in the context of what I was discussing is irrelevant.

Sorry for kind of repeating this, but I absolutely don't understand which scope can look at the whole notion of self-reliance without talking about social safety nets. Those topics are opposites!

First I want to say that there indeed are people who are for the complete abolition of those safety nets - although probably people who are not well versed in the art of "not killing your own population". Those folks still get to vote and talk about their opinions. I understand that you're not for the abolition of those safety nets though, which is good - but in this case what's up with self-reliance and the possibility of failure that you mentioned earlier.

And what are the real gains from locally administering something so simple as food stamps or welfare, or any social safety nets for that matter, it seems to me like it's more efficient to do something that simple from a federal admin instead of creating a whole bunch of little organizations that you need to create and hire people for... Handling things locally allows for a more "hands-on" democracy, but it's not cheap, and you don't need a nice lady to smile at you every time you go pick up your check. I'm not saying that there are no advantages by the way, but for one the disadvantages would most likely be greater, and I don't understand that whole self-reliance thing... not in a system with local administrations that provide safety nets.

(That'll be my last response for the night, cheers)
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Saryph
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1955 Posts
March 02 2012 07:22 GMT
#10088
I don't understand why no one has a problem with viagra being part of insurance policies while birth control is a big no no. the birth control pill offers a whole range of benefits to the health of many women beyond preventing pregnancy. Perhaps we shouldn't have panels of all male priests and rabbis deciding these things for us.
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
March 02 2012 07:27 GMT
#10089
On March 02 2012 15:20 Focuspants wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2012 15:14 Djzapz wrote:
On March 02 2012 15:09 Focuspants wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:54 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:44 Stratos_speAr wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:41 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:38 Stratos_speAr wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:33 Defacer wrote:
On March 02 2012 13:09 xDaunt wrote:
On March 02 2012 12:47 Mohdoo wrote:
[quote]

What do you think insurance companies should be forced to offer?


Nothing.


Kind of defeats the concept of insurance.

Sometimes I wonder if Americans are just fighting for the freedom to let someone else rip them off.


That's basically what it is. People like xDaunt refuse to acknowledge how the world really works and think that the free market will fix everything just like it does in their magical hypothetical land. Unfortunately, that isn't how the world actually operates.


No, you have it wrong. I don't expect the free market to fix anything. That's not the point. The point is that people should be free to succeed and free to fail. If someone wants to buy shitty insurance, that's their problem, regardless of whether they have good reasons, bad reasons, or no reason at all for buying it. That's what freedom is.

Seriously, when did we become such a nation of pussies? What happened to self-reliance?



That is such a load of bullshit. No one is skirting self-reliance. The problem is that so many essential things aren't available to large amounts of the population if they are left to the free market. That's why the federal government mandates it, so everyone has equality of opportunity. This has absolutely nothing to do with equality of outcome, and your argument is a strawman and it's pathetic that you're bringing in that BS to this discussion.


So the federal government telling people what insurance they can buy, thereby limiting their options in the marketplace, promotes "equality of opportunity?" Really?

I have no idea what you're talking about, I know that you have no idea what I am talking about, and I am not even really sure that you know what you're talking about. This isn't the first time that this has happened, either. I'm going to do us both a favor and just ignore your posts from here on out.


Almost everyone his health care bill effects, CANT AFFORD HEALTH CARE. I love how republicans eat up this notion that people are losing freedom by being given government mandated healthcare. Why would you want health insurance forced on you, be free and have no insurance instead!

He doesn't understand the bill, but he also fundamentally doesn't understand the meaning "equality of opportunity". If everyone is basically "forced" to have the same health insurance like in Canada (which isn't the case in the US), that's pretty much perfect "equality of opportunity". I'm not saying it's the way to go, although I think it is, but yeah. Had to throw that in there.

Oh also, relative equality is awesome for a society. Like very awesome.


Its sad, because people falling for these republican catch phrases completely ignore whats happening in reality. You guys have 50 million people on foodstamps. Thats almost 1 in 6 people. Thats incredible. Then you try to do something to help them, nothing even over the top, just give them basic neccessities like health care and education, and somehow it gets turned into som crazy rhetoric about socialism, communism, removal of freedoms. I dont understand how the party of the rich, has its majority voting base made up of the poor. Its mind boggling how uneducated and uninformed people are. Is the media that good at brainwashing people?


Yes they are that good at it, and it doesn't help that, in their lack of education, they blindly believe the fear-mongering that is brought up on a regular basis.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
March 02 2012 07:28 GMT
#10090
On March 02 2012 16:22 Saryph wrote:
I don't understand why no one has a problem with viagra being part of insurance policies while birth control is a big no no. the birth control pill offers a whole range of benefits to the health of many women beyond preventing pregnancy. Perhaps we shouldn't have panels of all male priests and rabbis deciding these things for us.


It's sexism, pure and simple, and even worse, it's religious sexism.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10960 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-02 08:05:42
March 02 2012 08:01 GMT
#10091
No... It's, really, really simple. Morality has absolutely nothing to do with it:

Health Insurance is there to pay for the treatments of an "Illness/Accident".

Errection Problems = Illness = Health Insurance most likely has to pay for treatment when a Doctor diagnoses this.
Woman getting pregnant = Normal = Health Insurance has nothing to do with this..
This has just absoluetly nothing to do with Helath Insurance or what they should and should not pay...

The Health Ihsurance is not there to grant/allow you a "better/smarter" lifestyle for "free", thats what education should do.. It's mainly there to pay for your treatment once your ill and for certain preventive measures. It sure as hell is not there to (force) birth controll on women that most likely don't even want to use it...
Doublemint
Profile Joined July 2011
Austria8760 Posts
March 02 2012 08:14 GMT
#10092
On March 02 2012 17:01 Velr wrote:
No... It's, really, really simple. Morality has absolutely nothing to do with it:

Health Insurance is there to pay for the treatments of an "Illness/Accident".

Errection Problems = Illness = Health Insurance most likely has to pay for treatment when a Doctor diagnoses this.
Woman getting pregnant = Normal = Health Insurance has nothing to do with this..
This has just absoluetly nothing to do with Helath Insurance or what they should and should not pay...

The Health Ihsurance is not there to grant/allow you a "better/smarter" lifestyle for "free", thats what education should do.. It's mainly there to pay for your treatment once your ill and for certain preventive measures.


I don´t fully agree with that. From a man´s perspective I can sympathize with that notion, though women get the shorter end of the stick in this case. How is having a baby NOT a medical condition and therefore a health issue for herself and the child?(I don´t like the term illness here) I am even going a step further just for the lulz and to provoke a bit : Is Sex for a man not part of a smarter/better lifestyle? Is it 100% a necessity for a man who´s unable to get a woody? (Yes I already know the answer... I am just trying to make a point, not that anyone thinks I am crazy and/or a priest...) I think providing women with equipment to decide when to have children should be put in the same category. And as some people already said - the pill is a smart way to achieve that.
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before the fall.
Saryph
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1955 Posts
March 02 2012 08:28 GMT
#10093
Women raped by a stranger or family member? Anti-abortion crowd say you should deal with a physical reminder of getting raped, not to mention the massive monetary and time burden you never asked for.

Women want to avoid pregnancy or want to improve their standard of living with the pill? Shouldn't be covered. Rush calls you a slut. Church claims they are being persecuted. Lawmakers push to allow health insurance to cover everything but the pill.

Men want boner pills? Covered by insurance and promoted by the church, not even mentioned by lawmakers as a problem.

Educate yourself about all of the things that birth control pills do for women beside prevent pregnancy. It really is sad how women are still not treated equally in our society. There is a reason women are getting scared by people like Santorum, even lifelong republicans who have never voted for a democrat in their life.
Doublemint
Profile Joined July 2011
Austria8760 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-02 08:34:54
March 02 2012 08:32 GMT
#10094
Yes... arguing that way easily reaches hypocrisy level over 9000...

//edit:
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before the fall.
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10960 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-02 08:42:52
March 02 2012 08:41 GMT
#10095
On March 02 2012 17:14 Doublemint wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2012 17:01 Velr wrote:
No... It's, really, really simple. Morality has absolutely nothing to do with it:

Health Insurance is there to pay for the treatments of an "Illness/Accident".

Errection Problems = Illness = Health Insurance most likely has to pay for treatment when a Doctor diagnoses this.
Woman getting pregnant = Normal = Health Insurance has nothing to do with this..
This has just absoluetly nothing to do with Helath Insurance or what they should and should not pay...

The Health Ihsurance is not there to grant/allow you a "better/smarter" lifestyle for "free", thats what education should do.. It's mainly there to pay for your treatment once your ill and for certain preventive measures.


I don´t fully agree with that. From a man´s perspective I can sympathize with that notion, though women get the shorter end of the stick in this case. How is having a baby NOT a medical condition and therefore a health issue for herself and the child?(I don´t like the term illness here) I am even going a step further just for the lulz and to provoke a bit : Is Sex for a man not part of a smarter/better lifestyle? Is it 100% a necessity for a man who´s unable to get a woody? (Yes I already know the answer... I am just trying to make a point, not that anyone thinks I am crazy and/or a priest...) I think providing women with equipment to decide when to have children should be put in the same category. And as some people already said - the pill is a smart way to achieve that.



The Pill also has it's side effects and isn't exactly healthy.

I see where your coming from and i agree with your point BUT it is still not the helath insurers business, be it the state or a private company. A Woman being able to get pregnant is just in no way the health insurances business.
If a state wants he can give out free condoms or whatever else, but this is just not the health insurers business..

Btw: Being 45 years old is also a medical condition, yet health insurance does not pay for skin cream or other products that would "help" me live "better".


Btw: Abortion and all that is an entirely diffrent topic. Why would you mix them.
Saryph
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1955 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-02 08:48:44
March 02 2012 08:42 GMT
#10096
There are so many flaws with so many things everyone does, private, public or government.

I just don't understand why people think it is a good idea to draw a line in the sand at women's birth control pills.

I mean, I do (men dominate, religion, Obama started the discussion to help his cause, etc) but there are so many other, better things to have a problem with, for the media and nation to direct their attention toward.

Vasectomies are almost always covered by insurance companies

Edit:

Vasectomies are almost always covered by insurance companies, I cannot recall the illness they cure though.
Doublemint
Profile Joined July 2011
Austria8760 Posts
March 02 2012 08:53 GMT
#10097
On March 02 2012 17:41 Velr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2012 17:14 Doublemint wrote:
On March 02 2012 17:01 Velr wrote:
No... It's, really, really simple. Morality has absolutely nothing to do with it:

Health Insurance is there to pay for the treatments of an "Illness/Accident".

Errection Problems = Illness = Health Insurance most likely has to pay for treatment when a Doctor diagnoses this.
Woman getting pregnant = Normal = Health Insurance has nothing to do with this..
This has just absoluetly nothing to do with Helath Insurance or what they should and should not pay...

The Health Ihsurance is not there to grant/allow you a "better/smarter" lifestyle for "free", thats what education should do.. It's mainly there to pay for your treatment once your ill and for certain preventive measures.


I don´t fully agree with that. From a man´s perspective I can sympathize with that notion, though women get the shorter end of the stick in this case. How is having a baby NOT a medical condition and therefore a health issue for herself and the child?(I don´t like the term illness here) I am even going a step further just for the lulz and to provoke a bit : Is Sex for a man not part of a smarter/better lifestyle? Is it 100% a necessity for a man who´s unable to get a woody? (Yes I already know the answer... I am just trying to make a point, not that anyone thinks I am crazy and/or a priest...) I think providing women with equipment to decide when to have children should be put in the same category. And as some people already said - the pill is a smart way to achieve that.


Btw: Being 45 years old is also a medical condition, yet health insurance does not pay for skin cream or other products that would "help" me live "better".


Btw: Abortion and all that is an entirely diffrent topic. Why would you mix them.


No they most definitely will not pay for some mere skin cream(be it private or public health care) just so you will have skin like a baby which is a luxury to say the least(if you want to believe any of those stupid cream ads... but that´s beside that point). And I thought it was clear I mainly meant the contraceptive pill by refering to "equipment to decide when to have children", yes abortion is quite a differnt, and a way more complicated/difficult issue. Probably should have been more specific - sorry. I am just pointing out that there is quite a lot of hypocrisy when allowing boner pills, but not contraceptive pills.
And I am not a doctor, but last time I read about the pill the pros outweigh the cons here(you got possible negative effects with ALL medication). But maybe we got a student of medicine or medical doctor here who can tell us more.
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before the fall.
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10960 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-02 09:30:15
March 02 2012 09:28 GMT
#10098
You don't get my point. My point is really, really simple...:

Being able to get Pregnant is no illness. Therefore it is not the Health Insurances business.
Not being able to get a boner, when diagnosed by a doctor, is an illness and therefore you get treatment which is paid by the health insurance company.

It's no moral issue, it's an issue of facts. A health insurance insures your health and thats it. It's not giving out "cookies" (contraceptive pills ). It pais for treatment a doctor has deemed necessary and certain vaccines.
If you want the health insurance paying for contraception pills, then you basically are calling "getting pregnant" an illness and could also pay for TONS of other stuff.

Which you might think would be good, i would just say that this should not be done by a health insurance company. It's just not their business.
Doublemint
Profile Joined July 2011
Austria8760 Posts
March 02 2012 09:38 GMT
#10099
If I agreed with your terminology ("illness") I had no other choice then to agree. Yet, previously written some posts earlier, I don´t. I am not trying to convince you, just trying to make a point, and if you dismiss it like that I respectfully agree to disagree here.
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before the fall.
Saryph
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1955 Posts
March 02 2012 09:45 GMT
#10100
On March 02 2012 18:28 Velr wrote:
You don't get my point. My point is really, really simple...:

Being able to get Pregnant is no illness. Therefore it is not the Health Insurances business.
Not being able to get a boner, when diagnosed by a doctor, is an illness and therefore you get treatment which is paid by the health insurance company.

It's no moral issue, it's an issue of facts. A health insurance insures your health and thats it. It's not giving out "cookies" (contraceptive pills ). It pais for treatment a doctor has deemed necessary and certain vaccines.
If you want the health insurance paying for contraception pills, then you basically are calling "getting pregnant" an illness and could also pay for TONS of other stuff.

Which you might think would be good, i would just say that this should not be done by a health insurance company. It's just not their business.



Many/most health insurance policies cover selective surgeries, offering medicine/surgeries that are not to alleviate an illness. Health insurance also covers preventive medicine, which is not combating an illness that currently exists. Also once again, you ignore my repeated mentions that there are many health benefits to the pill for women beyond preventing pregnancy.
Prev 1 503 504 505 506 507 575 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 1868
RotterdaM944
TaKeTV 361
IndyStarCraft 208
SteadfastSC107
ZombieGrub93
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 1868
RotterdaM 944
IndyStarCraft 208
MaxPax 172
RuFF_SC2 120
SteadfastSC 107
ZombieGrub85
UpATreeSC 72
MindelVK 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3003
Shuttle 587
Dewaltoss 102
910 75
Zeus 70
Mind 68
ToSsGirL 23
Bale 15
Dota 2
qojqva3597
Counter-Strike
fl0m6399
pashabiceps1352
Fnx 667
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4368
Liquid`Hasu442
Other Games
singsing1980
Beastyqt767
ceh9467
mouzStarbuck371
C9.Mang0138
ToD103
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV212
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream24
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 145
• StrangeGG 36
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 19
• Eskiya23 13
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie598
• Shiphtur267
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
4h
Afreeca Starleague
15h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
16h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 5h
Patches Events
1d 21h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.