• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:38
CEST 05:38
KST 12:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach1[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11654 users

Republican nominations - Page 22

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 575 Next
stevarius
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1394 Posts
August 17 2011 02:45 GMT
#421
On August 17 2011 11:42 ZeaL. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2011 10:35 Cush wrote:
Rick Perry is going all the way. Texas has created more than 40% of jobs in the past 2 years. With that behind him, nothing can stop him.


Texas still has higher unemployment than a few states like NY and MA, 1 out of 4 Texans doesn't have health insurance, most of the "job creation" is really just population growth.

Not saying that you're wrong, just that the 40% of new jobs should be taken with a grain of salt. Not that the average voter is willing to dig deeper on a subject than they are required to.


^ The last line is exactly why American politics is a joke. So many voters are misinformed. It pains me to think every time I ask someone about their choice when they make a bold statement of a person they choose to vote for. Many of their opinions or even the facts they know about their vote are not wise due to misinformation or lack thereof.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
cfoy3
Profile Joined January 2010
United States129 Posts
August 17 2011 02:47 GMT
#422
Heres a crazy thought. How about we try and go back to a time when he didn't ask our Congress to pass every major bill and wait endless for them. Lets go back to when the state legislatures controlled almost all of our affairs. There is a right way to do things. We can not expect to elect people from all these different walks of life to a building where they will magically come up with the perfect one size fits all approach. Look at the health care law. Its too expensive and even worse it wrong on two moral levels-1.)I do not think the government has the right to force me to pay for anything. 2.)I also do not think the federal government should tell the states how to fix these problems. Look at massachusetts, now I think the law was terrible but they did not need the federal government to get involved. They did it themselves and more importantly they wanted it. You can not force people to do things they do not want to do without some sort of blow back.
??
Senorcuidado
Profile Joined May 2010
United States700 Posts
August 17 2011 02:48 GMT
#423
On August 17 2011 11:06 cfoy3 wrote:


Okay. I have read this whole story several times over the years, I know it well. This video is so very very perfect I don't know how to describe it. Please, everybody needs to watch this before spouting off about Iran and our foreign policy in general.

@cfoy: I'm glad this thread popped up, we ended up spending waaaay too much time arguing about the merits of Ron Paul and Iran in the other thread, and it's better to keep that discussion about the debt. Foreign policy is part of that discussion, of course, but I'd rather talk about such things here .

I'm still not positive that Keynesian economics as a philosophy is completely wrong, or is necessarily to blame for our economic problems, but I am positive that we are doing it wrong so the point is a little moot. Ron Paul predicted all our financial problems, not because he's a wizard or particularly wise, but because he believes in Austrian economics. It's probably about time we give it a try. In 1998 he also predicted a terrorist attack, but that's another story. I feel like I should copy and paste all my posts from the other thread over here, lol.
brain_
Profile Joined June 2010
United States812 Posts
August 17 2011 02:53 GMT
#424
Ron Paul 2012, all the other candidates are identical big-government corporatists posing as "conservatives". Restore personal liberty.
Romantic
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1844 Posts
August 17 2011 03:02 GMT
#425
Paul's support of the Austrian School is actually why I can't take him seriously even if I agree more with his foreign policy and social issues.
Cloud9157
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2968 Posts
August 17 2011 03:04 GMT
#426
On August 17 2011 10:35 Cush wrote:
Rick Perry is going all the way. Texas has created more than 40% of jobs in the past 2 years. With that behind him, nothing can stop him.


Texas also has an 8.2% unemployment rate.

Funny how high that still is, even though he created jobs. Oh, and ignore the fact they were government jobs.
"Are you absolutely sure that armor only affects the health portion of a protoss army??? That doesn't sound right to me. source?" -Some idiot
Elegy
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States1629 Posts
August 17 2011 03:06 GMT
#427
On August 17 2011 11:47 cfoy3 wrote:
Heres a crazy thought. How about we try and go back to a time when he didn't ask our Congress to pass every major bill and wait endless for them. Lets go back to when the state legislatures controlled almost all of our affairs. There is a right way to do things. We can not expect to elect people from all these different walks of life to a building where they will magically come up with the perfect one size fits all approach. Look at the health care law. Its too expensive and even worse it wrong on two moral levels-1.)I do not think the government has the right to force me to pay for anything. 2.)I also do not think the federal government should tell the states how to fix these problems. Look at massachusetts, now I think the law was terrible but they did not need the federal government to get involved. They did it themselves and more importantly they wanted it. You can not force people to do things they do not want to do without some sort of blow back.


This is an important point; after all, how dare someone suggest the government has the right to force you to pay for roads or schools or firefighters or police or the military!?!
Spicy Pepper
Profile Joined December 2009
United States632 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-17 03:11:59
August 17 2011 03:11 GMT
#428
On August 17 2011 12:02 Romantic wrote:
Paul's support of the Austrian School is actually why I can't take him seriously even if I agree more with his foreign policy and social issues.

So you're looking for a candidate with a non-interventionist foreign policy, socially liberal, but a Keynesian (which of course is odd, since Keynesian economics is about gov't planning).

Your post means you can't be taken seriously.
OneOther
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States10774 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-17 03:19:11
August 17 2011 03:14 GMT
#429
Ron Paul is not an electable candidate, which is exactly why he has received such little media attention despite a decently strong support base. His ideas are too extreme for most people. He will not stand a chance in the general election even if he somehow wins the primaries.

I think it will be a close race between Mitt Romney and Rick Perry. I guess I should include Bachman's name in there too, although I don't think - or hope - she will ultimately be the Republican ticket. Personally I want Romney to win, not only because he will provide the best shot at defeating the incumbent President but I mainly view him as the most reasonable, non-isolating candidate with a pretty good track record. Perhaps his religion and the Obamacare-like health care plan might hold him down, not too sure at this point. Perry will definitely give him a run for his money though. He's going to play the job-creation card like there's no tomorrow, and the public will eat that up.
Romantic
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1844 Posts
August 17 2011 03:18 GMT
#430
On August 17 2011 12:11 Spicy Pepper wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2011 12:02 Romantic wrote:
Paul's support of the Austrian School is actually why I can't take him seriously even if I agree more with his foreign policy and social issues.

So you're looking for a candidate with a non-interventionist foreign policy, socially liberal, but a Keynesian (which of course is odd, since Keynesian economics is about gov't planning).

Your post means you can't be taken seriously.

Not entirely non-interventionist, I am mixed. Overall I think Paul's non-interventionism would be an improvement.

Not necessarily social liberalism either; he voted for stronger borders which I fully support (I oppose multiculturalism) and is pro-life, which I am sympathetic towards.

Keynesian macro, specifically the Post-Keynesian macro I support, isn't about central planning as much as it is empiricism. Done properly macroeconomic conditions can be improved by governments.

My specific oppositions to the Austrian School are numerous, but to begin with they should either;

1. Use formal logic

2. Empiricism

Failure to do these things will result in banging their head against a wall repeatedly.
cfoy3
Profile Joined January 2010
United States129 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-17 03:27:42
August 17 2011 03:26 GMT
#431
@ Elegy

The differance is I chose those things. I wanted them. Obama got elected on what a 52% majority in the electorate? Thats hardly a mandate to do anything. Further those are taxes, not a commodity.

@Senorcuidado

The problem with Keynesia economics is that it expects the government to be reasonable and make tough decisions and balance budget cuts during boom times with increased government spending during bad times. That doesnt happen. They do not know how to make tough decisions unless they have no choice. The austria economics reject central government planning. It aligns mal investments and creates the boom bust cycle of bussiness. I think its funny that we call it a "cycle" as if it was a natural proccess that we can not control.




edit: sorry already posted, but please everyone watch this video. It defines the austrian perspectives focusing on microeconomics.
??
Shiragaku
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Hong Kong4308 Posts
August 17 2011 03:27 GMT
#432
The Austrian School is not taken seriously by most economic schools, even the libertarian Chicago School. The Austrian School is just as good as representing libertarians as Che is good at representing socialism. In other words, misleading.
cfoy3
Profile Joined January 2010
United States129 Posts
August 17 2011 03:29 GMT
#433
@Shiragaku

Yes because it does not use equations and models. However, it has been vindicated. It predicted the dot com bust, the housing bubble and now predicts hyperinflation.I think it would be wise to listen to what they have to say.
??
Romantic
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1844 Posts
August 17 2011 03:32 GMT
#434
On August 17 2011 12:29 cfoy3 wrote:
@Shiragaku

Yes because it does not use equations and models. However, it has been vindicated. It predicted the dot com bust, the housing bubble and now predicts hyperinflation.I think it would be wise to listen to what they have to say.


How did the Austrian School predict these things? Some adherent did, even though ABCT explicitly cannot have housing bubbles (probably because they actually put value on debt... it is a major failing of mainstream neoclassical oriented thought that they ignore debt). Then again they predict a crisis every other day.

I can say for certain hyper(price)inflation will not be happening.
Spicy Pepper
Profile Joined December 2009
United States632 Posts
August 17 2011 03:35 GMT
#435
On August 17 2011 12:18 Romantic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2011 12:11 Spicy Pepper wrote:
On August 17 2011 12:02 Romantic wrote:
Paul's support of the Austrian School is actually why I can't take him seriously even if I agree more with his foreign policy and social issues.

So you're looking for a candidate with a non-interventionist foreign policy, socially liberal, but a Keynesian (which of course is odd, since Keynesian economics is about gov't planning).

Your post means you can't be taken seriously.

Not entirely non-interventionist, I am mixed. Overall I think Paul's non-interventionism would be an improvement.

Not necessarily social liberalism either; he voted for stronger borders which I fully support (I oppose multiculturalism) and is pro-life, which I am sympathetic towards.

Keynesian macro, specifically the Post-Keynesian macro I support, isn't about central planning as much as it is empiricism. Done properly macroeconomic conditions can be improved by governments.

My specific oppositions to the Austrian School are numerous, but to begin with they should either;

1. Use formal logic

2. Empiricism

Failure to do these things will result in banging their head against a wall repeatedly.

Economics is not a science like Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. If anything it's in the Dark Ages relatively. How do you run a statistically & scientifically viable trial of a national government plan? There are no models that can account for all the variables and unintended consequences of actions of this scale.
Spicy Pepper
Profile Joined December 2009
United States632 Posts
August 17 2011 03:39 GMT
#436
"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."
— Friedrich von Hayek
cfoy3
Profile Joined January 2010
United States129 Posts
August 17 2011 03:42 GMT
#437
@Romantic

The best thing the government can do is get the hell out the way. You can not predict the economy based on previous cases because each case has many small variations that create widely different scenarios. Interfering just misuses resources. I think the austrian economic system is starting to gain serious traction.
??
Spicy Pepper
Profile Joined December 2009
United States632 Posts
August 17 2011 03:44 GMT
#438
On August 17 2011 12:14 OneOther wrote:
Ron Paul is not an electable candidate, which is exactly why he has received such little media attention despite a decently strong support base. His ideas are too extreme for most people. He will not stand a chance in the general election even if he somehow wins the primaries.

So electability is the criteria by which a candidate gets media coverage? How do you come to terms with the idea that the media influences a candidate's electability?

Also, how do you determine a candidates chances for winning? Is it fundraising (Paul is 2nd behind Romney)? Is it votes in early straw polls (Paul was 2nd by 0.9%)? Is it grassroots organization? What is the objective criteria?

Why are less electable candidates getting coverage than he isn't? Pawlenty, Santorum, Cain and Gingrich have zero chance.

Are these his extreme positions?

RP's monetary policy is being parroted by the entire GOP now. Rick Perry came out as insinuated the Bernake's policy were "treasonous" yesterday.

RP's foreign policy of pulling out of Iraq & Afghanistan is what the majority of America wants in poll after poll after poll.

Think about the extreme positions that the media portrays (that Ron Paul wants Iran to have nukes, or that Ron Paul wants to legalize heroin). Has those words ever come out of his mouth? Or are they just the media demagoguing his position.

The GOP primary is basically a race to become as right wing as possible. It's a campaign that appeals to an extreme base. Extremely pro-life, pro-war candidates do well. Ron Paul believes in social liberty and ending the wars. He's moderate by comparison.

Ron Paul is obviously an underdog, but it doesn't justify how the media excluded discussing him, given his polling numbers and his fundraising. There are obvious counterpoints to idea that electability and media coverage being related in RP's media exclusion.

Here's a different take on it from HuffPo (an indicator of how good the media is today):
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/16/ron-paul-ames-straw-poll_n_928403.html
Let me put it like this. Ron Paul wanted Congress to have the power to audit the Federal Reserve. Rick Perry has intimated that Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke would meet a violent end if he came to Texas. One man is clearly the pale imitation of the other, and it's the pale imitation who's getting all the coverage. That sound like good journalism to you?
Romantic
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1844 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-17 03:47:59
August 17 2011 03:45 GMT
#439
On August 17 2011 12:35 Spicy Pepper wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2011 12:18 Romantic wrote:
On August 17 2011 12:11 Spicy Pepper wrote:
On August 17 2011 12:02 Romantic wrote:
Paul's support of the Austrian School is actually why I can't take him seriously even if I agree more with his foreign policy and social issues.

So you're looking for a candidate with a non-interventionist foreign policy, socially liberal, but a Keynesian (which of course is odd, since Keynesian economics is about gov't planning).

Your post means you can't be taken seriously.

Not entirely non-interventionist, I am mixed. Overall I think Paul's non-interventionism would be an improvement.

Not necessarily social liberalism either; he voted for stronger borders which I fully support (I oppose multiculturalism) and is pro-life, which I am sympathetic towards.

Keynesian macro, specifically the Post-Keynesian macro I support, isn't about central planning as much as it is empiricism. Done properly macroeconomic conditions can be improved by governments.

My specific oppositions to the Austrian School are numerous, but to begin with they should either;

1. Use formal logic

2. Empiricism

Failure to do these things will result in banging their head against a wall repeatedly.

Economics is not a science like Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. If anything it's in the Dark Ages relatively. How do you run a statistically & scientifically viable trial of a national government plan? There are no models that can account for all the variables and unintended consequences of actions of this scale.


I agree that economics is in the dark ages.

You cannot account for all variables, you are correct. That is fine. I support private ownership of property, business, etc. I don't want the government designing and producing shoes. Keynes called his theory conservative for a reason.

To be fair, no such models exist for medicine or psychology or anything else, but that doesn't mean we don't have good tools for fixing problems.

Fundamentally individuals cannot make economic calculations about optimal choices either. Decentralization does not fix the knowledge problem in the way Austrians want it to.
SpeaKEaSY
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States1070 Posts
August 17 2011 03:48 GMT
#440
Ron Paul 2012 dot com y'all

Not only do his policies make sense, but as an added bonus, if he wins we get to see all the big government fascists cry and weep about how they're going to miss getting shafted by their tyrannical government
Aim for perfection, settle for mediocrity - KawaiiRice 2014
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 575 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings106
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta27
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 243
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 75
hero 38
Terrorterran 12
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1109
NeuroSwarm201
League of Legends
JimRising 710
Counter-Strike
taco 372
minikerr43
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King207
hungrybox122
Other Games
summit1g10265
Maynarde227
ArmadaUGS34
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick479
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 7
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 151
• practicex 18
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo894
• Rush849
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6h 23m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
7h 23m
Monday Night Weeklies
12h 23m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 6h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 20h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.