• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:55
CEST 00:55
KST 07:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8948 users

College Acceptance Thread '11 - Page 19

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 36 Next All
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
March 26 2011 09:03 GMT
#361
On March 26 2011 11:40 The_LiNk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2011 11:27 JitnikoVi wrote:
applied to
mcmaster - life sci - waiting
mcmaster - environmental and earth sciences I - accepted
western - health sci - accepted
york - life sci - accepted
guelph - life sci - accepted
carlton - life sci - accepted
u of t - life sci - waiting

average is 87%, volunteer at hospital and senior home (over 100 hours combined), i recieved the queen elizabeth the II scholarship and waiting on mcdonalds scholarship (i work there )

ive decided that im ganan go to mcmaster, right now for environ and earth sci, but if i get accepted to life sci then i might change my mind and go there isntead

but mcmaster in hamilton either way


Why McMaster's? All my friends that applied to McMaster's are using it as their backup, most people are going to Western or UofT for health/life sciences.

I'm assuming an Undergrad degree in Life Sciences is being referred to here? (B.Sc?)
I did mine at York, and after I got over the stigma of the fact that apparently if you can hold a fork you cna go to York, I realized it was a decent school. I got to live at home during my undergrad and save up for when I really need the money.

Essentially it doesn't matter at all where you do your undergrad degree when it comes to a basic B.Sc unless there's something special about the program (McMaster I believe has a pre-Med stream or something, for example.)
I would say factor in cost, location, and what kind of a school it is before making your decision, don't base it on whather it's a 'good' school or not. All of the undergrad degrees in life sciences in the province of Ontario are weighed equally in terms of postgraduate positions/work.
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
Milkis
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
5003 Posts
March 26 2011 09:08 GMT
#362
On March 26 2011 07:24 101toss wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2011 06:59 Milkis wrote:
On March 25 2011 12:43 Mailing wrote:
My question is...

Is it worth it to go to a super top tier University?

Sure places like Mudd have a high "graduate income", but you can get a good career making good money at almost any University if you put the work and time in... is 90k-120k a year as opposed to 50-60k a year worth throwing your entire age 15-30 experience away?

Not only that, but you basically HAVE to succeed in these schools, or you get out with massive dept and loans (over hundreds of thousands of dollars)?

I rank colleges/units as low/medium/high/top. I am 3 years into Uni at a mid level institution and am doing fine without massive stress or anything that I hear a lot of top uni students get..


It's worth it if you're getting a job. It's less important if you're going to grad school

Of course, it's easier to get into, say, stanford grad school if you went to stanford.


Honestly depends on the school and the program. UChicago Math does not accept any Uchicago undergrads for example.

If you know that you want to go to grad school it's probably just as important to go to a top university. As someone who is in grad school now, and has seen many people go through the application process, I can say that students from top schools have a huge advantage when it comes to grad admissions at other top schools.


Of course top schools do have an advantage, but I don't think it's as huge as you think it is. Most people who end up going to grad schools stand out no matter where they go into. If you make the most out of the school you attended you should have no problems getting into a good grad school, although "most out of the school" varies quite a bit.

I honestly don't think undergrad institution matters as much -- it could "look" that way quite easily since "smarter" people go to "better" universities over all.
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
March 26 2011 10:53 GMT
#363
We should make a "graduation 2015" thread and see who makes it.
1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
YejinYejin
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States1053 Posts
March 26 2011 11:47 GMT
#364
OH NOES
No one has been accepted to Columbia. I hope all of you guys get off the waiting list (well, all the BW players anyway). Then you can come to Columbia and we can play. There's one dude who used to be C-, but he switched over to SC2. I can't find anyone else here who plays BW at all, much less plays it somewhat seriously. I'm a C- Terran, and I only get to play BW with random people on iCCup that I don't know.
안지호
Telcontar
Profile Joined May 2010
United Kingdom16710 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-27 03:26:09
March 26 2011 12:04 GMT
#365
Oxford, Magdalen College - Rejected
Imperial College - Accepted (in my final year~)
UCL - Accepted
Durham - Accepted

All for the Physics MSci course. I was pretty gutted when I was rejected by Magdalen but Imperial has been more than awesome for me. Also, the Oxford interview process was pretty unique and I'm happy I got to experience it.

edit: Oops, didn't read the '11 part in the title ^^;; my bad.
Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta.
Sahand
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom114 Posts
March 26 2011 12:37 GMT
#366
On March 25 2011 07:26 blagoonga123 wrote:
The girl who voiced Jade in Jackie Chan Adventures went to my high school/


lmao that show was awesome
HudsonK
Profile Joined December 2009
China172 Posts
March 26 2011 12:42 GMT
#367
my final list

UGA - accepted
GA State - accepted
uga bound ^^
Gummy
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States2180 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-26 15:46:05
March 26 2011 15:45 GMT
#368
On March 26 2011 21:42 HudsonK wrote:
my final list

UGA - accepted
GA State - accepted
uga bound ^^

Strange colleges to apply to if you're in China. Congrats!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.
iExtrapolate
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4 Posts
March 26 2011 17:22 GMT
#369
GPA: 4.6 (unweighted)
SAT: 2400
Volunteer hours: 10000
5's on 10 AP tests
Age: 13
Bench press: 400 Lbs.
Starcraft rank: number 1 in masters
APM: 350 (no spam)

President or captain of : The football team, the wrestling team, track and field, the school, my class, the chess club, the honors society, the gay-strait alliance and my local MENSA chapter.

I once took a test bigger than my face!

I helped poor people in Africa become president of USA!

Rejected:
UW
WSU
Western
Arizona State
Green River Community College


User was warned for this post
Phaint
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada211 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-26 17:30:32
March 26 2011 17:30 GMT
#370
On March 26 2011 11:40 The_LiNk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2011 11:27 JitnikoVi wrote:
applied to
mcmaster - life sci - waiting
mcmaster - environmental and earth sciences I - accepted
western - health sci - accepted
york - life sci - accepted
guelph - life sci - accepted
carlton - life sci - accepted
u of t - life sci - waiting

average is 87%, volunteer at hospital and senior home (over 100 hours combined), i recieved the queen elizabeth the II scholarship and waiting on mcdonalds scholarship (i work there )

ive decided that im ganan go to mcmaster, right now for environ and earth sci, but if i get accepted to life sci then i might change my mind and go there isntead

but mcmaster in hamilton either way


Why McMaster's? All my friends that applied to McMaster's are using it as their backup, most people are going to Western or UofT for health/life sciences.


McMaster excels in Life Science if anything. The school pretty much revolves around the health sciences and they can be ridiculously hard to get into.
Sharp-eYe
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada642 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-26 17:44:14
March 26 2011 17:41 GMT
#371
Stats: 84.5 avg, a good range of extracurriculars, IB taking Higher Level Math and Chemistry

Unis:
Carleton: Accepted
Guelph: Accepted
McMasters: Accepted
Uoft: Pending
Queens: Pending
Waterloo: Pending

all engineering
Are you truly so blinded by your vaunted religion, that you can't see the fall ahead of you? - Zeratul III AKA WikidSik ingame (anygame)
fams
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada731 Posts
March 26 2011 20:37 GMT
#372
On March 27 2011 02:41 Sharp-eYe wrote:
Stats: 84.5 avg, a good range of extracurriculars, IB taking Higher Level Math and Chemistry

Unis:
Carleton: Accepted
Guelph: Accepted
McMasters: Accepted
Uoft: Pending
Queens: Pending
Waterloo: Pending

all engineering

Any idea of what you are going to pick? My brother went to Carleton, it is amazing there, campus is awesome, and Ottawa is really sick too : )
http://www.twitter.com/famsytron/
kittencuddler
Profile Joined March 2011
United States3 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-26 21:01:37
March 26 2011 21:01 GMT
#373
Hi all. Thought I'd post my results. I applied to schools in both the US and the UK.

US
UC Berkeley- Accepted
UCLA - rejected
University of Washington- Accepted
University of Wisconsin- Accepted
Rice University- Rejected
UChicago- Waitlisted (same as rejected? I don't know)

UK (Scandinavian Studies and History)
University of Edinburgh- Unconditional
University of Aberdeen- Unconditional
UCL- phone interview next week, I have 3 AP's at 5 (US History, Euro History, Eng Lang) and I'm taking 4 others with predicted 5's, so I'm hoping for an offer of one 4.
Sharp-eYe
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada642 Posts
March 26 2011 22:30 GMT
#374
On March 27 2011 05:37 fams wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2011 02:41 Sharp-eYe wrote:
Stats: 84.5 avg, a good range of extracurriculars, IB taking Higher Level Math and Chemistry

Unis:
Carleton: Accepted
Guelph: Accepted
McMasters: Accepted
Uoft: Pending
Queens: Pending
Waterloo: Pending

all engineering

Any idea of what you are going to pick? My brother went to Carleton, it is amazing there, campus is awesome, and Ottawa is really sick too : )


yeah I heard from others that Carleton is pretty sick. Too bad it gets so much sht from people in my area (only because Carleton tries harder to get people in their uni, cuz waterloo/mcmaster/uoft take the best students from where I am from). im going to end up going to uoft (if I get accepted there). if not then guelph. if neither of the above then heres my order: mc master, waterloo, carleton, queens. I hate queens because of their stupid user system. where are you going to ?
Are you truly so blinded by your vaunted religion, that you can't see the fall ahead of you? - Zeratul III AKA WikidSik ingame (anygame)
KtheZ
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States813 Posts
March 26 2011 22:45 GMT
#375
Hey guys! I'll post my stats too :D

2370 SAT
3.866 unweighted GPA (School doesnt weight, so idk really)
770 SAT2 Chem 800 MATH2
APs: Chem, psych, stats, enviro sci all 5

Colleges:
Columbia - Accepted (ED)
All other colleges - rejected (didnt want to pay money to send test scores in)
fams
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada731 Posts
March 26 2011 22:57 GMT
#376
On March 27 2011 07:30 Sharp-eYe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2011 05:37 fams wrote:
On March 27 2011 02:41 Sharp-eYe wrote:
Stats: 84.5 avg, a good range of extracurriculars, IB taking Higher Level Math and Chemistry

Unis:
Carleton: Accepted
Guelph: Accepted
McMasters: Accepted
Uoft: Pending
Queens: Pending
Waterloo: Pending

all engineering

Any idea of what you are going to pick? My brother went to Carleton, it is amazing there, campus is awesome, and Ottawa is really sick too : )


yeah I heard from others that Carleton is pretty sick. Too bad it gets so much sht from people in my area (only because Carleton tries harder to get people in their uni, cuz waterloo/mcmaster/uoft take the best students from where I am from). im going to end up going to uoft (if I get accepted there). if not then guelph. if neither of the above then heres my order: mc master, waterloo, carleton, queens. I hate queens because of their stupid user system. where are you going to ?


I go to Cambrian College right now, I'm almost done, then I'm going to university in China : )
http://www.twitter.com/famsytron/
AirwaveRaid
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada49 Posts
March 26 2011 23:03 GMT
#377
Accepted to Laurier, Brock, and Ryerson so far for computer science. Waiting on Carleton still.
ConsummateK
Profile Joined April 2010
United States98 Posts
March 26 2011 23:52 GMT
#378
I just got accepted into the I/O MA program at The University of Akron. Woo!
Serendipityx
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States595 Posts
March 27 2011 00:29 GMT
#379
3.85/4.22 UW/W GPA
2040 SAT 740/720 SATII's

Accepted
UC Berkeley
UC Davis
UC Santa Cruz
UC Irvine
UC Merced
UC San Diego
UC Santa Barbara
Cal Poly SLO

Rejected
UCLA
USC

Pending
Stanford(probably rejection but my dream college was Berkeley anyways)
The_LiNk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada863 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-27 00:38:25
March 27 2011 00:35 GMT
#380
On March 27 2011 07:30 Sharp-eYe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2011 05:37 fams wrote:
On March 27 2011 02:41 Sharp-eYe wrote:
Stats: 84.5 avg, a good range of extracurriculars, IB taking Higher Level Math and Chemistry

Unis:
Carleton: Accepted
Guelph: Accepted
McMasters: Accepted
Uoft: Pending
Queens: Pending
Waterloo: Pending

all engineering

Any idea of what you are going to pick? My brother went to Carleton, it is amazing there, campus is awesome, and Ottawa is really sick too : )


yeah I heard from others that Carleton is pretty sick. Too bad it gets so much sht from people in my area (only because Carleton tries harder to get people in their uni, cuz waterloo/mcmaster/uoft take the best students from where I am from). im going to end up going to uoft (if I get accepted there). if not then guelph. if neither of the above then heres my order: mc master, waterloo, carleton, queens. I hate queens because of their stupid user system. where are you going to ?


Yeeaaah! UofT! I had a few friends that got into UofT engineering, so admissions are rolling out already.
I'm the stray dog in my school, I only applied to local universities because my parents don't want me to go out. Though, even if I go to UofT, I'm going to move out.
I don't know anybody in my school that applied to Carleton, it's got a pretty bad reputation as an ez mode uni. My school's all about getting into hard mode(relatively speaking) because we're masochists like that.

On March 26 2011 18:03 WaveofShadow wrote:
I'm assuming an Undergrad degree in Life Sciences is being referred to here? (B.Sc?)
I did mine at York, and after I got over the stigma of the fact that apparently if you can hold a fork you cna go to York, I realized it was a decent school. I got to live at home during my undergrad and save up for when I really need the money.

Essentially it doesn't matter at all where you do your undergrad degree when it comes to a basic B.Sc unless there's something special about the program (McMaster I believe has a pre-Med stream or something, for example.)
I would say factor in cost, location, and what kind of a school it is before making your decision, don't base it on whather it's a 'good' school or not. All of the undergrad degrees in life sciences in the province of Ontario are weighed equally in terms of postgraduate positions/work.


My english teacher who went to UofT says the unofficial student moto of UofT is "Friends don't let friends go to York."
Though in terms of business, I really respect York for its Schulich BBA program, its damn good. They got this international variant where you have to learn a language to graduate and you have to go study abroad. It's too bad my marks were just slightly too low to get into.

Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 36 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O155
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 1074
ZZZero.O 155
Bale 17
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm122
League of Legends
Doublelift5296
JimRising 693
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6663
Other Games
summit1g8793
FrodaN3058
KnowMe204
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1203
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream43
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie955
• Shiphtur184
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
5m
CranKy Ducklings10
Afreeca Starleague
11h 5m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
12h 5m
Monday Night Weeklies
17h 5m
Replay Cast
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d 11h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 12h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.