• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:09
CEST 06:09
KST 13:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8045 users

Headphone enthusiast thread! - Page 163

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 161 162 163 164 165 244 Next
essencez
Profile Joined February 2012
342 Posts
April 27 2012 14:51 GMT
#3241
On April 27 2012 23:15 BlazingSonic wrote:
could someone describe the sound/ characteristics of the Denon 2000 and the Audiotechnika ATH A(D)700? As these are the only ones I couldn´t test I would like to know how they sound like? To what other headphones could they compare? How´s the bass tone?



Completely different headphones. The ATH AD-700 is open hence the overall sound signature will sound thin and definitely leak. The Denon D2000 is closed so the low end will have much more of a presence. I've had both headphones in the past, got rid of the ATH AD-700 almost immediately, it just felt lacking in everything apart from the comfort. Although it was a clear downgrade from the other headphones I've used.

The Denon D2000 on the other hand is surprisingly for its size a very good portable headphones, again only if you can stand its size. It sounds like a DT770 except much more efficient. The mid range on the D2000 can be somewhat slightly lacking and/or veiled. Treble can be edgy at best. But the low end is where the D2000 shines! It makes the music very engaging and enticing to listen too reminds me of the clarity, punch of the bass in JH16s custom IEMs.

Both headphones will not greatly benefit from amping so I'd you're thinking of amping these headphones I'd recommend you spend that extra cash into a better headphone instead.
essence.gg - "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett
kineSiS-
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Korea (South)1068 Posts
April 28 2012 02:55 GMT
#3242
On April 27 2012 23:51 essencez wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 27 2012 23:15 BlazingSonic wrote:
could someone describe the sound/ characteristics of the Denon 2000 and the Audiotechnika ATH A(D)700? As these are the only ones I couldn´t test I would like to know how they sound like? To what other headphones could they compare? How´s the bass tone?



Completely different headphones. The ATH AD-700 is open hence the overall sound signature will sound thin and definitely leak. The Denon D2000 is closed so the low end will have much more of a presence. I've had both headphones in the past, got rid of the ATH AD-700 almost immediately, it just felt lacking in everything apart from the comfort. Although it was a clear downgrade from the other headphones I've used.

The Denon D2000 on the other hand is surprisingly for its size a very good portable headphones, again only if you can stand its size. It sounds like a DT770 except much more efficient. The mid range on the D2000 can be somewhat slightly lacking and/or veiled. Treble can be edgy at best. But the low end is where the D2000 shines! It makes the music very engaging and enticing to listen too reminds me of the clarity, punch of the bass in JH16s custom IEMs.

Both headphones will not greatly benefit from amping so I'd you're thinking of amping these headphones I'd recommend you spend that extra cash into a better headphone instead.


The D2000 does well, and yes, its mid range is not necessarily veiled but rather than the presence of the treble (which is ever so sibilant and the sub-bass combined with the mid-bass leads to a slightly v-shaped sound signature.
kineSiS-
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Korea (South)1068 Posts
April 28 2012 02:57 GMT
#3243
On April 27 2012 13:46 vyyye wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 27 2012 09:46 kineSiS- wrote:
sound quality in almost every true closed headphone is lacking (except certain top tier ones like the excessively overpriced Edition 8 Ultrasones).

Haha, good one. Almost thought you praised Ultrasone seriously for a second there!


Me, praising Ultrasone? You kidding me? They legit just slap random numbers after "Edition" and if it's a "Limited Edition" they arbitrarily add like 1000 USD. But you have to admit that the Edition 8 is a good headphone and quite stylish with the thin veneer of precious metals and the Ethiopian leather ear pads. I personally would never buy one of them as I'm quite an IEM fanboy as opposed to over-ears. I don't know why... they're just supremely more comfortable, natural and portable.
LambtrOn
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States671 Posts
April 28 2012 04:11 GMT
#3244
I'm in the market for some new studio headphones for music production. Price range around $300-400. Pretty clueless at this price range. I'm looking for a pair with really high quality bass and great attention to detail for mastering. suggestions much appreciated!
fatfail
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States386 Posts
April 28 2012 04:48 GMT
#3245
I have Sennheiser HD280's and I can't wear them for more than 10 minutes without vomiting. They literally clamp my head so hard I feel my temples throbbing and I worry my skull might change shape over time. I have a pretty big head, but I don't see how this design is reasonable at all! Is there any solution to this, or should I just give them to a friend and buy different headphones?
Kong fan... <3 Stork <3 Jangbi <3 Yellow <3 Fantasy
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-28 04:55:59
April 28 2012 04:54 GMT
#3246
On April 28 2012 13:11 LambtrOn wrote:
I'm in the market for some new studio headphones for music production. Price range around $300-400. Pretty clueless at this price range. I'm looking for a pair with really high quality bass and great attention to detail for mastering. suggestions much appreciated!

Sennheiser HD 600? Prices on 600 and 650 are higher than they used to be though. If you need a mild amount of isolation, maybe Denon AH-D2000. They're getting discontinued soon though.


On April 28 2012 13:48 fatfail wrote:
I have Sennheiser HD280's and I can't wear them for more than 10 minutes without vomiting. They literally clamp my head so hard I feel my temples throbbing and I worry my skull might change shape over time. I have a pretty big head, but I don't see how this design is reasonable at all! Is there any solution to this, or should I just give them to a friend and buy different headphones?

They're HD 280s. There's only a certain amount you can do, which mostly involves trying to stretch them out by placing them around books or something else to try to loosen the clamp whenever you're not wearing them.
phosphorylation
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2935 Posts
April 28 2012 05:00 GMT
#3247
On April 28 2012 13:48 fatfail wrote:
I have Sennheiser HD280's and I can't wear them for more than 10 minutes without vomiting. They literally clamp my head so hard I feel my temples throbbing and I worry my skull might change shape over time. I have a pretty big head, but I don't see how this design is reasonable at all! Is there any solution to this, or should I just give them to a friend and buy different headphones?


I am sorry but this post in combination with your ID made me laugh pretty hard.
Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> http://www.redbubble.com/people/shoenberg3
gForce.
Profile Joined January 2010
United Kingdom345 Posts
April 30 2012 01:15 GMT
#3248
Straight to the point, what do you think about AKG K450 and Razer Orca guys? I've set my eyes on one of these. I'm looking for something affordable, so if any alternatives I would be very thankful.
Zeller
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States1109 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-30 05:27:31
April 30 2012 05:27 GMT
#3249
Ok I'm considering buying these headphones
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MVEC10/ref=s9_wish_co_d57_g23_ir01?ie=UTF8&coliid=I60CA4YLTKR9I&colid=17V0V5KLWDN26&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=0WBMHHNPDD663Z3S7YDJ&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1280661682&pf_rd_i=typ01

[image loading]

I will be plugging them into this, will I have amazing sound listening to music/movies etc?
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V371BL-5-1-Channel-AV-Receiver/dp/B004QQXDVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335763594&sr=8-1
Last.Epic , Epic[LighT]
poeticEnnui
Profile Joined September 2010
United States78 Posts
April 30 2012 06:34 GMT
#3250
I'm probably gonna build my own set of in-ear monitors soon. Any other DIYers out there? :D
CorsairHero
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada9491 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-30 06:40:17
April 30 2012 06:40 GMT
#3251
On April 30 2012 14:27 Zeller wrote:
Ok I'm considering buying these headphones
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MVEC10/ref=s9_wish_co_d57_g23_ir01?ie=UTF8&coliid=I60CA4YLTKR9I&colid=17V0V5KLWDN26&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=0WBMHHNPDD663Z3S7YDJ&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1280661682&pf_rd_i=typ01

[image loading]

I will be plugging them into this, will I have amazing sound listening to music/movies etc?
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V371BL-5-1-Channel-AV-Receiver/dp/B004QQXDVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335763594&sr=8-1


you won't regret it
© Current year.
spaZzNx-`
Profile Joined January 2011
Hong Kong1221 Posts
April 30 2012 10:36 GMT
#3252
my friend recently got some marshall majors...whats the verdict on that? im thinking of spending ~100 USD on a new set of headphones just for everything.. ie. gaming, music. ive tried the majors out and i would like to use them as sort of a benchmark...what are some other good headphones out tehre for general use?

Thanks
TeamLiquid fighting~ Gogo SlayerS Terrans!
vyyye
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden3917 Posts
April 30 2012 15:13 GMT
#3253
On April 30 2012 14:27 Zeller wrote:
Ok I'm considering buying these headphones
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MVEC10/ref=s9_wish_co_d57_g23_ir01?ie=UTF8&coliid=I60CA4YLTKR9I&colid=17V0V5KLWDN26&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=0WBMHHNPDD663Z3S7YDJ&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1280661682&pf_rd_i=typ01

I will be plugging them into this, will I have amazing sound listening to music/movies etc?
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V371BL-5-1-Channel-AV-Receiver/dp/B004QQXDVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335763594&sr=8-1

Absolutely terrific cans, though it's past the point where diminishing returns hit hardest. But if you have the money you won't be regretting the purchase. Great all rounder that simply works for everything.
Isolation is pretty much non-existant though, if that's an issue.
kineSiS-
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Korea (South)1068 Posts
May 01 2012 02:54 GMT
#3254
On April 30 2012 19:36 spaZzNx-` wrote:
my friend recently got some marshall majors...whats the verdict on that? im thinking of spending ~100 USD on a new set of headphones just for everything.. ie. gaming, music. ive tried the majors out and i would like to use them as sort of a benchmark...what are some other good headphones out tehre for general use?

Thanks


VSonic GR07 - Around 150 an amazing all arounder.
kineSiS-
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Korea (South)1068 Posts
May 01 2012 02:55 GMT
#3255
On April 30 2012 14:27 Zeller wrote:
Ok I'm considering buying these headphones
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MVEC10/ref=s9_wish_co_d57_g23_ir01?ie=UTF8&coliid=I60CA4YLTKR9I&colid=17V0V5KLWDN26&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=0WBMHHNPDD663Z3S7YDJ&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1280661682&pf_rd_i=typ01

[image loading]

I will be plugging them into this, will I have amazing sound listening to music/movies etc?
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V371BL-5-1-Channel-AV-Receiver/dp/B004QQXDVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335763594&sr=8-1


If you really want a pair of nice looking heaphones though, invest 600 dollars (that is what they cost nowadays) into the Denon AH-D7000, which has the least mid-bass and an amazing sub-bass leaving for a more reference and appreciated sound. It's not as much reference, as that it is in all ways technically better and more "fun" and enjoyable.
QuackPocketDuck
Profile Joined January 2011
410 Posts
May 01 2012 03:10 GMT
#3256
^ I so love the looks and possibly the sound of Denons but i will forever refuse to pay the 600+ on Chinese assembled product.. specially when there are still cheaper alternatives built in their countries of origin.

I bought a pack of cigarettes for $20, What have you done for your country today?
Goldfish
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
2230 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-01 05:19:07
May 01 2012 05:18 GMT
#3257
Posted this before, if anyone has more suggestions:

What are some good quality (that is, they last longer than a year; I tried several under $50 they usually wear and break within months) open air headphones that do "not" fully surround the ear? (Basically the earpad doesn't cover the entire ear.)

For example, a style of headset like this click.

Here's direct image:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


The reason why I want something that doesn't cover the entire ear is because:

1. Wearing long time during hot days may make my ears too warm.

2. I wear glasses, so that means the headphones usually cover the handle part of the glasses. It hurts after long usage.

Any suggestions? Sadly I can't seem to find ones where no one complains that it breaks after a few months. I'd like ones that last at least a year and are comfortable to wear + don't surround the entire ear.

Thanks in advance for any help .

Seems like all the high end headphones cover the entire ear .
https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/741495/biggest-explorer-annoyance-automatic-sorting-windows-7-server-2008-r2-and-vista#details Allow Disable Auto Arrange in Windows 7+
rebdomine
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
6040 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-01 05:28:08
May 01 2012 05:27 GMT
#3258
Sennheiser HD 238 might fit your bill. I used to use those and they are pretty comfy. Grado SR80 might also fit you.

Basically you're looking for supra-aural open-back headphones.
"Just because you are correct doesn't mean you are right!"
kineSiS-
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Korea (South)1068 Posts
May 01 2012 05:30 GMT
#3259
On May 01 2012 12:10 QuackPocketDuck wrote:
^ I so love the looks and possibly the sound of Denons but i will forever refuse to pay the 600+ on Chinese assembled product.. specially when there are still cheaper alternatives built in their countries of origin.



You do realize that some of the best crafted custom in ear monitors are from China and they beat out Westone and JH Audio in terms of build quality. It's not where, it's how. Although, it does make sense to associate China to with outsourcing and low quality because that's how profit margins are maximized, if you purchase the AH-D7000's you'll realize it oozes of quality.
-HonestlyZerg
Profile Joined December 2011
United States2 Posts
May 01 2012 05:48 GMT
#3260
Sennheiser HD 598s best for the 250$ price?
Zerg Sucks
Prev 1 161 162 163 164 165 244 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft309
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta78
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft487
PiGStarcraft309
RuFF_SC2 205
SpeCial 82
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 72
Hyuk 51
Stork 41
Bale 15
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm175
Counter-Strike
taco 427
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox772
C9.Mang0323
Westballz27
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor625
Other Games
summit1g9678
Coldzera 806
JimRising 606
Sick118
ViBE80
ArmadaUGS33
Liquid`Ken8
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick750
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream107
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 108
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota248
League of Legends
• Lourlo1081
• Stunt347
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
5h 51m
Online Event
6h 51m
FEL
11h 51m
AI Arena Tournament
12h 51m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
14h 51m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
INu's Battles
1d 7h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.