• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:51
CEST 22:51
KST 05:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7679 users

Headphone enthusiast thread! - Page 164

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 162 163 164 165 166 244 Next
CorsairHero
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada9491 Posts
May 01 2012 05:54 GMT
#3261
On May 01 2012 14:48 -HonestlyZerg wrote:
Sennheiser HD 598s best for the 250$ price?

in terms of what.
© Current year.
Crushgroove
Profile Joined July 2010
United States793 Posts
May 01 2012 06:09 GMT
#3262
I have a question for the knowledgable community:

I gather by reading this thread that Audio-Technica ATH-M50's are mid-level headphones (according to the audiophiles). I was just about to buy a pair based on two high recommendations from personal acquaintances who are audio professionals.

My questions for the community are:

1) What defines these as midlevel? I've seen charts indicating that they stomp all over some of the much more expensive isolating, circumaural headphones, and they make the responses of the drivers in the most expensive Beats look like shit... what more is it that they would need to do in order to be considered high-level? Is it components, audio response, frequency range...? I assume an untrained ear like mine won't be able to tell the difference.

2) Are they as well-priced for the value as I hear? I'm told that performance per dollar they are a very good buy. Is there something else that beats them out in this area?

Thanks for your opinions.

-Crush
[In Korea on Vaca] "Why would I go to the park and climb a mountain? There are video games on f*cking TV!" - Kazuke
squattincassanova
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States650 Posts
May 01 2012 06:10 GMT
#3263
sups?


[image loading]
[image loading]
http://www.youtube.com/squattincassanova (Pickup In-Field) Subscribe if you like!
Crushgroove
Profile Joined July 2010
United States793 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-01 06:14:22
May 01 2012 06:14 GMT
#3264
On May 01 2012 15:10 squattincassanova wrote:
sups?


[image loading]





Where'd you get that headphone stand?
[In Korea on Vaca] "Why would I go to the park and climb a mountain? There are video games on f*cking TV!" - Kazuke
uriel-
Profile Joined August 2007
Singapore1867 Posts
May 01 2012 06:20 GMT
#3265
On May 01 2012 15:09 Crushgroove wrote:
I have a question for the knowledgable community:

I gather by reading this thread that Audio-Technica ATH-M50's are mid-level headphones (according to the audiophiles). I was just about to buy a pair based on two high recommendations from personal acquaintances who are audio professionals.

My questions for the community are:

1) What defines these as midlevel? I've seen charts indicating that they stomp all over some of the much more expensive isolating, circumaural headphones, and they make the responses of the drivers in the most expensive Beats look like shit... what more is it that they would need to do in order to be considered high-level? Is it components, audio response, frequency range...? I assume an untrained ear like mine won't be able to tell the difference.

2) Are they as well-priced for the value as I hear? I'm told that performance per dollar they are a very good buy. Is there something else that beats them out in this area?

Thanks for your opinions.

-Crush


1. What are these "charts" you speak of? If you mean "specs" such as impedance, sensitivity, frequency range etc, it is often not possible to determine whether a pair of headphones are better than another solely based on these "specs". They can tell you how loud the headphones will be driven out of a specific source, and that's about it. The same applies for frequency response graphs - they provide a reference but never a substitute for actual listening. Your other point of reference, the "most expensive" Beats, is also a poor one. Beats are well-known for being overpriced and mediocre-sounding, and are also certainly not even close to being "the most expensive". For what it's worth though, yes the M-50s should be superior to the Beats.

What makes something "high-level"? It is everything you listed and more. It's hard to come up with a definition - the build quality and technical capability are certainly major factors. Assuredly, as long as your sources are up to par, any pair of functional ears will be able to tell the difference between mid-fi and hi-fi. Basically they sound better.

2. Yes, the M-50s are great value. Whether they are the absolute best for your buck depends on your tastes in music and sound signature - but with the M-50s you are very unlikely to go too far wrong.
HolyArrow
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7116 Posts
May 01 2012 06:24 GMT
#3266
I've been meaning to search for some new headphones to get, since I've been using some rather cheap, crappy ones for a while now.

Does anyone have advice on a high-quality, preferably wireless headset that I could get for around 150-200$?
squattincassanova
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States650 Posts
May 01 2012 06:35 GMT
#3267
On May 01 2012 15:14 Crushgroove wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 01 2012 15:10 squattincassanova wrote:
sups?


[image loading]





Where'd you get that headphone stand?



http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KI7BOI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
http://www.youtube.com/squattincassanova (Pickup In-Field) Subscribe if you like!
Crushgroove
Profile Joined July 2010
United States793 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-01 08:59:41
May 01 2012 07:43 GMT
#3268
On May 01 2012 15:20 uriel- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 01 2012 15:09 Crushgroove wrote:
I have a question for the knowledgable community:

I gather by reading this thread that Audio-Technica ATH-M50's are mid-level headphones (according to the audiophiles). I was just about to buy a pair based on two high recommendations from personal acquaintances who are audio professionals.

My questions for the community are:

1) What defines these as midlevel? I've seen charts indicating that they stomp all over some of the much more expensive isolating, circumaural headphones, and they make the responses of the drivers in the most expensive Beats look like shit... what more is it that they would need to do in order to be considered high-level? Is it components, audio response, frequency range...? I assume an untrained ear like mine won't be able to tell the difference.

2) Are they as well-priced for the value as I hear? I'm told that performance per dollar they are a very good buy. Is there something else that beats them out in this area?

Thanks for your opinions.

-Crush


1. What are these "charts" you speak of? If you mean "specs" such as impedance, sensitivity, frequency range etc, it is often not possible to determine whether a pair of headphones are better than another solely based on these "specs". They can tell you how loud the headphones will be driven out of a specific source, and that's about it. The same applies for frequency response graphs - they provide a reference but never a substitute for actual listening. Your other point of reference, the "most expensive" Beats, is also a poor one. Beats are well-known for being overpriced and mediocre-sounding, and are also certainly not even close to being "the most expensive". For what it's worth though, yes the M-50s should be superior to the Beats.

What makes something "high-level"? It is everything you listed and more. It's hard to come up with a definition - the build quality and technical capability are certainly major factors. Assuredly, as long as your sources are up to par, any pair of functional ears will be able to tell the difference between mid-fi and hi-fi. Basically they sound better.

2. Yes, the M-50s are great value. Whether they are the absolute best for your buck depends on your tastes in music and sound signature - but with the M-50s you are very unlikely to go too far wrong.



When I said "most expensive beats"... I was referring to the highest price headphone in the Beats line.... not at all implying that beats are the most expensive par of cans. =/ Thanks for the help though... sounds like listening to them and comparing is something I should workout.


Also: One such chart:

[image loading]

Edit: I guess by definition, this is a line graph, not a chart. But yes, it compares the specs of multiple headphones... Should have said graph. My bad.

Edit #2: You mentioned type of music. I listen to a lot of house/dub. Bassy junk, but with complicated highs that need heard.
[In Korea on Vaca] "Why would I go to the park and climb a mountain? There are video games on f*cking TV!" - Kazuke
Crushgroove
Profile Joined July 2010
United States793 Posts
May 01 2012 07:52 GMT
#3269
@ Cassinova-

Thank you for the response. Picking that bad boy up, really like it, not even sure why. I'm jealous of the headphones too... way outta my price-range.
[In Korea on Vaca] "Why would I go to the park and climb a mountain? There are video games on f*cking TV!" - Kazuke
squattincassanova
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States650 Posts
May 01 2012 08:32 GMT
#3270
Have you ever put a pair of Sennheiser HD800 on a girls head playing a slow jam while giving her an oil massage? The panties come off in about..... 30 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/squattincassanova (Pickup In-Field) Subscribe if you like!
spaZzNx-`
Profile Joined January 2011
Hong Kong1221 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-01 10:32:17
May 01 2012 10:08 GMT
#3271
On May 01 2012 11:54 kineSiS- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 30 2012 19:36 spaZzNx-` wrote:
my friend recently got some marshall majors...whats the verdict on that? im thinking of spending ~100 USD on a new set of headphones just for everything.. ie. gaming, music. ive tried the majors out and i would like to use them as sort of a benchmark...what are some other good headphones out tehre for general use?

Thanks


VSonic GR07 - Around 150 an amazing all arounder.


outside of my budget TT
something similar to that but at a lower price..?
TeamLiquid fighting~ Gogo SlayerS Terrans!
vyyye
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden3917 Posts
May 01 2012 15:38 GMT
#3272
On May 01 2012 15:09 Crushgroove wrote:
I have a question for the knowledgable community:

I gather by reading this thread that Audio-Technica ATH-M50's are mid-level headphones (according to the audiophiles). I was just about to buy a pair based on two high recommendations from personal acquaintances who are audio professionals.

My questions for the community are:

1) What defines these as midlevel? I've seen charts indicating that they stomp all over some of the much more expensive isolating, circumaural headphones, and they make the responses of the drivers in the most expensive Beats look like shit... what more is it that they would need to do in order to be considered high-level? Is it components, audio response, frequency range...? I assume an untrained ear like mine won't be able to tell the difference.

2) Are they as well-priced for the value as I hear? I'm told that performance per dollar they are a very good buy. Is there something else that beats them out in this area?

Thanks for your opinions.

-Crush

They used to be amazing value for the money, then AT realized how popular they were and bumped the price up 40%. Now they're slightly overpriced if anything. Doesn't make them bad by any means but I wouldn't recommend them personally unless you're looking for something portable. And if you wanted to get something portable I'd recommend the HD25-1 II instead, better SQ more portable. Costs a bit more though.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
joohyunee
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
Korea (South)1087 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-01 15:40:05
May 01 2012 15:38 GMT
#3273
Hi, I'm thinking about getting westone's UM1 for gaming/listening to music/making music/maybe some isolation

I'll probably use those for extended studio sessions (4-6 hours nonstop working) as well

Is it a good buy for the price?
squattincassanova
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States650 Posts
May 01 2012 16:19 GMT
#3274
On May 02 2012 00:38 joohyunee wrote:
Hi, I'm thinking about getting westone's UM1 for gaming/listening to music/making music/maybe some isolation

I'll probably use those for extended studio sessions (4-6 hours nonstop working) as well

Is it a good buy for the price?


I have the Westone 3 which looks similar. Its great and comfortable and really molds to your ears. Only bad thing about it is that that ear foams turn yellow. I tried cleaning i with rubbing alcohol and it sort of degraded the thing. Ended up buying some more ear cushions.
http://www.youtube.com/squattincassanova (Pickup In-Field) Subscribe if you like!
spaZzNx-`
Profile Joined January 2011
Hong Kong1221 Posts
May 02 2012 08:43 GMT
#3275
are the JVC HA-FXT90's any good? i can buy them from a friend for about ~65USD... worth it?
TeamLiquid fighting~ Gogo SlayerS Terrans!
squattincassanova
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States650 Posts
May 02 2012 11:29 GMT
#3276
JUST FYI. Between the Sennheiser HD595 vs the HD800, the HD595 is way more comfortable and lighter. I can wear the HD595 for 5 hours and be fine. When I wear the HD800, after an hour, my ear feels like im driving through a tunnel.
http://www.youtube.com/squattincassanova (Pickup In-Field) Subscribe if you like!
Ikidomari
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia485 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-02 11:51:08
May 02 2012 11:50 GMT
#3277
Just picked up a pair of Audio Technica MT50(s), so pleased with the sound for the price i paid :D
Would recommend this pair to anyone looking to spend under $150
Just break the rules, and you see the truth.
Gr1m-
Profile Joined January 2012
Belgium22 Posts
May 02 2012 12:22 GMT
#3278
I'm using Technics rp-dh1200, they are normaly for dj'ing purposes (so without a microphone) but they are such beasts that wont break. http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/RP-DH1200
kineSiS-
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Korea (South)1068 Posts
May 03 2012 23:50 GMT
#3279
On May 01 2012 19:08 spaZzNx-` wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 01 2012 11:54 kineSiS- wrote:
On April 30 2012 19:36 spaZzNx-` wrote:
my friend recently got some marshall majors...whats the verdict on that? im thinking of spending ~100 USD on a new set of headphones just for everything.. ie. gaming, music. ive tried the majors out and i would like to use them as sort of a benchmark...what are some other good headphones out tehre for general use?

Thanks


VSonic GR07 - Around 150 an amazing all arounder.


outside of my budget TT
something similar to that but at a lower price..?


VSonic GR06.
Sprouter
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1724 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-12 10:34:23
May 12 2012 10:33 GMT
#3280
what are some good closed headphones for about 300 that don't need an (expensive) amp? any good threads to refer to?
Prev 1 162 163 164 165 166 244 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech154
UpATreeSC 146
JuggernautJason84
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 214
Dewaltoss 111
Hyuk 67
Bale 18
League of Legends
Doublelift2082
Counter-Strike
fl0m1516
Fnx 753
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King91
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5096
Khaldor1039
crisheroes894
Liquid`Hasu610
Other Games
summit1g8006
FrodaN3110
shahzam435
KnowMe330
XBOCT308
C9.Mang0191
ArmadaUGS130
ZombieGrub45
Trikslyr28
CosmosSc2 21
PPMD14
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV249
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream54
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH355
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2997
Other Games
• imaqtpie844
• Shiphtur281
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 10m
CranKy Ducklings
13h 10m
Online Event
14h 10m
FEL
19h 10m
AI Arena Tournament
20h 10m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
22h 10m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 13h
INu's Battles
1d 15h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.