• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:11
CEST 16:11
KST 23:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8773 users

Headphone enthusiast thread! - Page 144

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 142 143 144 145 146 244 Next
Brett
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Australia3823 Posts
February 16 2012 12:00 GMT
#2861
Nice thread, it's given me some ideas!

Primary concern is comfort - I don't want them digging into the sides of my head, on or around the ears. I'd prefer they "sit" on top of my head rather than "clamp" onto me. I also don't like buds, they hurt my ears after only short sessions.

I'm not an audiophile, and I'll primarily use them for gaming (with movies and music coming quite far behind). Microphone not necessary.

Price doesn't concern me. Any specific suggestions?
BleaK_
Profile Joined November 2010
Norway593 Posts
February 16 2012 12:27 GMT
#2862
I just got the Hifiman HE500:

[image loading]

( http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=102 )

Connected to the Audio Gd NFB-10SE balanced dac/amp:

[image loading]

( http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB-10.1/NFB10.1EN.htm )

Connecting them is a 5" balanced Black Dragon v2:

( http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-headphone-cables/moon-audio-black-dragon-v2-headphone-cable.html# )

This is the best I have heard in audio, ever. I hear new details in songs I have listened to hundreds of times and everthing just sounds so natural and balanced. I'm so happy right now. Just listening to music all day now :D
FinBenton
Profile Joined March 2011
Finland870 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-16 12:51:58
February 16 2012 12:50 GMT
#2863
Nice setup, I have LCD2 which should have almost same sound signature (natural + planar magnet level fast bass . Would like to try those though. Try listening to some Trentemoller and Röyksopp, the bass is so deep and amazing it brings smile to my face everyday
Sohryu7
Profile Joined January 2011
Austria27 Posts
February 16 2012 12:51 GMT
#2864
just bought AKG K518DJ yesterday and i'm quite happy with 'em
since i mostly use my iphone to listen to music im in need of a remote to skip tracks and for volume control.

can anyone recommend any remote to plug between my phone and the headphones?
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-16 16:00:10
February 16 2012 15:58 GMT
#2865
On February 16 2012 21:27 BleaK_ wrote:
Connecting them is a 5" balanced Black Dragon v2:

Nice setup, but probably should've invested that $200 somewhere else ^^. People never ever hear the difference in double blind tests as far as cables go.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
FinBenton
Profile Joined March 2011
Finland870 Posts
February 16 2012 16:01 GMT
#2866
Cables are a scam but its nice to have a good looking cable, eye candy
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-16 16:44:38
February 16 2012 16:06 GMT
#2867
Well yeah to be fair I was thinking about getting a cable just to make my HD650/Asgard setup look better but there are some good looking ones for $80. Still a bit to spend given how the performance increase is 0.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
February 17 2012 00:03 GMT
#2868
Hey guys, I'm getting a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700 in a couple of weeks as my first pair of headphones around this price. Should I get the lossless file format of some of my favorite bands, or will I not hear the difference?
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
February 17 2012 00:29 GMT
#2869
On February 17 2012 09:03 Whole wrote:
Hey guys, I'm getting a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700 in a couple of weeks as my first pair of headphones around this price. Should I get the lossless file format of some of my favorite bands, or will I not hear the difference?

You may want to try, but I don't hear much of a difference between high quality MP3's and FLACs. For some music (when there's a lot of stuff going on) there seems to be a slight difference and I can do double blind tests. With slower music, even with my HD650's, and I don't hear it. It could be my ears though - who knows.

But yeah just try it and avoid low bitrate music
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
February 17 2012 01:29 GMT
#2870
Some kind of multiple-lossy encode from YouTube is a lot different than a high-bitrate lossy encode with a modern encoder from a lossless source.

I wouldn't bother hunting for lossless versions of stuff you already own, or re-ripping CDs, unless you think the current versions are low bitrate or have issues. You're free to do whatever you like, and some people are more OCD than others. It's not something I would actively encourage though.
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
February 17 2012 01:34 GMT
#2871
What is considered a low bitrate?
seiferoth10
Profile Joined May 2010
3362 Posts
February 17 2012 01:37 GMT
#2872
I consider anything 128kbps or lower as low, and 192kbps or higher as high, and I avoid VBR.
CorsairHero
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada9491 Posts
February 17 2012 01:39 GMT
#2873
I can't really tell the difference between flac and 320 kbps.
© Current year.
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
February 17 2012 01:41 GMT
#2874
Okay, thank you guys for the help. This thread is so helpful <3
BleaK_
Profile Joined November 2010
Norway593 Posts
February 17 2012 14:07 GMT
#2875
On February 16 2012 21:50 FinBenton wrote:
Nice setup, I have LCD2 which should have almost same sound signature (natural + planar magnet level fast bass . Would like to try those though. Try listening to some Trentemoller and Röyksopp, the bass is so deep and amazing it brings smile to my face everyday


Thank you! :D
Hehe, yeah some electronic music goes very deep and it's such a pleasure to listen to. I am rediscovering my whole music collection as we speak, so many missed details that I've never heard. A lot of eargasm has been had.

On February 17 2012 00:58 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2012 21:27 BleaK_ wrote:
Connecting them is a 5" balanced Black Dragon v2:

Nice setup, but probably should've invested that $200 somewhere else ^^. People never ever hear the difference in double blind tests as far as cables go.


Thanks! :D
Hehe, I got them for 90$ and I couldn't find any cheaper on the net. The NFB-10SE runs best balanced, that's why I needed the cable I also hear a difference when switching cable, but that might be placebo.

Running balanced have huge advantages on this amp though, everything sounds much cleaner and bass is so much tighter.


Zhent
Profile Joined May 2011
United States3 Posts
February 17 2012 14:21 GMT
#2876
Does a DAC / amplifier provide any quality improvement, or is the only way to do that with an in-system sound card? I'm trying to increase my sound quality without buying / installing a sound card in my computer, but it seems like these only convert the sound coming out of the computer - if that is already shit due to my onboard sound card, will I be stuck?
essencez
Profile Joined February 2012
342 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-17 16:44:47
February 17 2012 16:43 GMT
#2877
On February 17 2012 10:34 Whole wrote:
What is considered a low bitrate?


Depends on the track and how much details your setup reveals.

On February 17 2012 10:39 CorsairHero wrote:
I can't really tell the difference between flac and 320 kbps.


I have an extremely revealing setup and with some tracks its easy as day and night others not so much.

On February 17 2012 23:21 Zhent wrote:
Does a DAC / amplifier provide any quality improvement, or is the only way to do that with an in-system sound card? I'm trying to increase my sound quality without buying / installing a sound card in my computer, but it seems like these only convert the sound coming out of the computer - if that is already shit due to my onboard sound card, will I be stuck?


I'd say the most cost effective way to improve sound quality would be headphones/speakers followed by DAC and lastly amp. You should check if your current soundcard or motherboard for digital output as its required to use an external DAC.

A soundcard is effectively an DAC/amp combined.
essence.gg - "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett
zickoray
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States366 Posts
February 17 2012 22:41 GMT
#2878
So im looking for some in ear head buds that are good quality i work out and listen to my ipod ALOT so i need something other than my Sennheiser HD 595 haha cant really work out in those

so any suggestions to a good ear bud i have prolly 100$ i can drop on them so high quality would be nice
BleaK_
Profile Joined November 2010
Norway593 Posts
February 17 2012 23:39 GMT
#2879
On February 17 2012 23:21 Zhent wrote:
Does a DAC / amplifier provide any quality improvement, or is the only way to do that with an in-system sound card? I'm trying to increase my sound quality without buying / installing a sound card in my computer, but it seems like these only convert the sound coming out of the computer - if that is already shit due to my onboard sound card, will I be stuck?


Sound card would help a ton, but you can also look at usb dac/amps like Fiio E7 or E10. I use a e7 for portable use and on the laptop when I'm on the uni or library.
Scorm
Profile Joined April 2011
United States104 Posts
February 17 2012 23:54 GMT
#2880
I like my Razer Banshee headset. The sound is good and it matches the set.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” -Anton LaVey
Prev 1 142 143 144 145 146 244 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 49m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech122
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5535
Bisu 2940
Jaedong 1015
Soulkey 837
Horang2 591
EffOrt 543
Mini 393
actioN 348
Larva 305
ZerO 231
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 229
Yoon 127
Mind 93
Pusan 87
hero 80
Sea.KH 79
Shinee 71
Sharp 70
Snow 64
Dewaltoss 60
Hyun 60
Barracks 49
Bale 48
sorry 47
ToSsGirL 37
Sacsri 20
scan(afreeca) 17
Trap 17
NaDa 14
Rock 13
zelot 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Noble 9
Terrorterran 9
Icarus 7
Dota 2
Gorgc4765
qojqva2275
Dendi1025
Counter-Strike
Fnx 6
Other Games
olofmeister1380
hiko939
B2W.Neo706
Lowko337
crisheroes300
DeMusliM286
XBOCT232
Pyrionflax213
Liquid`VortiX186
Livibee184
Hui .180
QueenE87
Mew2King53
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
StarCraft 2
IntoTheiNu 1254
WardiTV858
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 49
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 14
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV670
League of Legends
• Jankos2128
• Nemesis2051
• TFBlade706
Other Games
• Shiphtur108
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
9h 49m
Patches Events
1d 1h
The PondCast
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 20h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.