• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:50
CEST 10:50
KST 17:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8294 users

Don't become a scientist - Page 12

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 Next All
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
May 19 2010 21:49 GMT
#221
military scientist = developing bioweapons
no thanks
hejakev
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden518 Posts
May 19 2010 22:05 GMT
#222
On May 16 2010 08:34 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
What about a PhD in English?


Don't go over a BA in English unless you plan on teaching it
HnR)Pride
Profile Joined October 2002
Canada297 Posts
May 19 2010 22:28 GMT
#223
Very misleading title. I got my BSc in microbiology and there are plenty of opportunities for newly graduating scientists. The problem is that science, more than any other industry, is at the whim of the government in power and their investment in the scientific futures, especially in the government sector (obviously). Another huge problem is that to most people science is 'what other people do'. People are incredibly impressed that I have a degree in microbiology and can distinguish a few dozen microbes based on smell and color/shape alone when anyone getting out of an intensive microbiology degree can do the same. It's disjunct from other parts of people's lives is moreso than any other discipline, I mean it has it's own language pretty much.

Anyways, a lot of truths have been said in this thread. My advice: If you want to do your PhD, do it. It's not going to hurt you and will give you a lot of opportunities in private industry as a consultant or product professional. If you are still delusional... errr pure enough to think you want to be a research scientist then go for it, but don't expect to be appropriately compensated.

The most successful people in science positions are people with a personality who can take their industry and science knowledge, combine it with their personable demeanor and either manage biotech product lines or sell them. No one wants to be a bench chemist forever, it's stagnating, have a career path laid out and clear deadlines for your progression within a company or within your own start-up. Never, ever, hold it over people's heads that you have a degree in a scientific discipline and always talk plainly with people until you can gauge how much of the industry knowledge they have.

The people saying it's not what you know but who you know do not know science. It is largely what you know, far greater than traditional disciplines. What you know will dictate who hires you or what profs will oversee you and where you will succeed the best. Rebooting your career from a microbiologist to a biochemist isn't reasonably possible after a year or two of grad school. Who you know comes into play when you decide you've paid your dues and want to move on to private industry. This is why grad students get taken to seminars and conventions in their last year by professors who like them. That's when you get to know people and decide where to go, if you've gone that route.
I wonder where all those socks go...
BEEF SUPREME
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada4 Posts
May 19 2010 22:57 GMT
#224
On May 20 2010 06:49 KOFgokuon wrote:
military scientist = developing bioweapons
no thanks


At least you would be making a real difference.
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
May 19 2010 23:21 GMT
#225
On May 16 2010 11:59 Servolisk wrote:
Seems like a load of standard events being over dramatized. I don't think he has any significant passion for his work and is a typical whiner. He even made a tenured faculty position sound undesirable :p He basically sounds like he is not getting any grants funded.

Compared to most things, I find the academic track he described to be very meritocratic, in the long run. Ph.D. students and post-doc's are usually underpaid, but if successful have the opportunity to independently run their own research, and become a tenured professor-one of the best jobs possible. No successful post-doc really views it as a bad job, that I have seen

Speaking from a Bio perspective, I feel like the track is very competitive but full of opportunity to people who are dedicated.


Show nested quote +
On May 16 2010 09:24 KOFgokuon wrote:
The life of an academic is not one that I envy. I just don't have the drive to do it. If you come from a top notch department (MIT, stanford, berkeley, cal tech, UIUC, whatever) then you won't have a problem getting a faculty position, consulting jobs, engineering jobs whatever, but I feel for people who end up getting Ph.D's at lower notch schools and struggle to find positions


Maybe it is different in Chemical Engineering than Biology, but for Bio they won't care what university it is, they will only care about publication quality. Although in Bio you won't get a faculty position as a Ph.D. graduate without a post-doc anyway.


your chances of getting high quality publications is higher at bigger name universities. You'll have more well known faculty members, in general better facilities, equipment, smarter collaborators, it all builds up
DrSmoke
Profile Joined April 2010
United States175 Posts
May 20 2010 06:26 GMT
#226
Sounds very defeatist. Do what you want to do, because you WANT to do it. Not because of $$, or some guy says its too hard to get a job.
rackdude
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States882 Posts
May 20 2010 06:42 GMT
#227
On May 17 2010 02:26 BluzMan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2010 01:45 rackdude wrote:
On May 17 2010 01:24 Fraidnot wrote:
On May 16 2010 21:46 nath wrote:
"In contrast, a doctor typically enters private practice at 29, a lawyer at 25 and makes partner at 31, and a computer scientist with a Ph.D. has a very good job at 27 (computer science and engineering are the few fields in which industrial demand makes it sensible to get a Ph.D.)."


FUCK YES!

going to grad school for Comp Sci next year, article scared me because my dad is also a physics professor and always told me this, but i guess it doesnt apply to comp sci! :D


That's because Computer Science isn't real science, 1s and 0s? please don't be ridiculous, everybody knows we only play video games and then just half-ass a few hours work and sell a program for way more then it's worth.


Everybody knows programming is not computer science and that those are two distinct subjects. Calling programming computer science is like calling lens making for telescopes astronomy. Related, useful, but not the same.


FFS programming is a science.


Yes, and when did I say it wasn't?

*Hint! I didn't! I just said it wasn't computer science!*
Sweet.
hejakev
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden518 Posts
May 20 2010 21:11 GMT
#228
But who will develop cloaking systems? We need scientists
Biochemist
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States1008 Posts
May 20 2010 21:15 GMT
#229
So basically physics/chemistry grad students should go be engineers instead, and biology/biochem grad students should be doctors and pharmacists and stuff. Got it.
Shizuru~
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Malaysia1676 Posts
May 20 2010 22:22 GMT
#230
On May 20 2010 02:17 Physician wrote:
"Don't Become a Scientist!" by Jonathan I. Katz

He should have titled it "Don't try to make it as university/college professor". His conclusion too is atrocious advice. The more scientist a nation trains, the better it does economically - for everyone, always. The guy, to put it bluntly, has written up a piece of idiocy. I believe he needs to review what a "scientist" really means. Having said that I know this guy is not idiot but that he has no qualms playing the fool. His writings in general have no intention to instruct but to create reaction and controversy.



uhm.... what do you base that statement of yours on?
wanderer
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States641 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-20 22:29:19
May 20 2010 22:28 GMT
#231
On May 21 2010 07:22 Shizuru~ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 20 2010 02:17 Physician wrote:
"Don't Become a Scientist!" by Jonathan I. Katz

He should have titled it "Don't try to make it as university/college professor". His conclusion too is atrocious advice. The more scientist a nation trains, the better it does economically - for everyone, always. The guy, to put it bluntly, has written up a piece of idiocy. I believe he needs to review what a "scientist" really means. Having said that I know this guy is not idiot but that he has no qualms playing the fool. His writings in general have no intention to instruct but to create reaction and controversy.



uhm.... what do you base that statement of yours on?

That's kind of trivial, actually... are you serious? (not that i agree with what that guy was saying...)
Fuck you, I have a degree in mathematics and I speak 12 languages. (I called the World Cup final in 2008 btw)
Biochemist
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States1008 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-20 22:40:02
May 20 2010 22:39 GMT
#232
On May 21 2010 07:22 Shizuru~ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 20 2010 02:17 Physician wrote:
"Don't Become a Scientist!" by Jonathan I. Katz

He should have titled it "Don't try to make it as university/college professor". His conclusion too is atrocious advice. The more scientist a nation trains, the better it does economically - for everyone, always. The guy, to put it bluntly, has written up a piece of idiocy. I believe he needs to review what a "scientist" really means. Having said that I know this guy is not idiot but that he has no qualms playing the fool. His writings in general have no intention to instruct but to create reaction and controversy.



uhm.... what do you base that statement of yours on?


I would be surprised if there isn't a strong correlation there, since the number of scientists a country produces is correlated with the breadth of higher education in general.

I wouldn't go as far as implying that it's the actual scientists that are helping the country out though, more like the bankers, businessmen, lawyers, politicians, etc.
guitarizt
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1492 Posts
May 21 2010 15:39 GMT
#233
I've gotta go with hnrpride on this one. Prof in the op seems a little crazy. I mean there's lawyers graduating from ivy league schools who aren't able to find jobs and that market's over saturated. I wouldn't call going to harvard and getting a degree in law a waste but I think more people are starting to regret it when they have insane loans to pay off and have a hard time finding work that pays enough.
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Hemingway
TunaFishyMe
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada150 Posts
May 21 2010 15:59 GMT
#234
I just graduated from EE at Queen's U in Canada. I was thinking about doing a masters in EE to improve my credentials and help me get a better job. Let me clear something up. Doing a master's or a PHd is not going to help you get further ahead if you don't go back into the same field. I worked at AMD and spoke with 5-6 engineers who have a masters in EE from supervisor level to director level. ALL of them told me their master's didnt help get them to where they wanted to be. Why? Because they did their master's in something unrelated to their line of work now. In the real world, no one cares if you have a master's or not. Or a PHd for that matter. They aren't going to treat you any different. What's important is that you are compentent and know what you are doing. If your Master's and PHd relates to what you do in industry, they will help quite a bit. But most (at least 90%) change their line of work eventually, making their degrees useless. Point? Don't do a master's because you think it'll improve your future JUST because you have a master's. That is so naive and a waste of 2 years. Most of academia doesn't even apply to industry so unless you want to continue doing research for the rest of your life, I wouldn't go into it. Especially not PHd.

Personally I feel that the author of the article is 100% correct. He's a bit harsh but thats reality. The real world is horrible.
One another thing that is important. A Bachelor degree is useless. Why? Because everyone and their mother's have one too. Does this mean you HAVE to do a masters? No, It means you need to differentiate yourself. You get your bachelor so on paper, you have the minimum but outside of school you get involved, work for ppl, start your own business. Do something impressive to differentiate yourself and that is how you can get a job.
For me, I'm doing a non-research oriented master's at UT. I want to move more into business so I'm doing a masters of management. We'll see how that goes.
I just gave you guys 4 years of solid info. Consider yourself lucky! lol

rackdude
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States882 Posts
May 21 2010 16:24 GMT
#235
Anyone know if this applies to math?
Sweet.
TunaFishyMe
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada150 Posts
May 21 2010 16:58 GMT
#236
On May 22 2010 01:24 rackdude wrote:
Anyone know if this applies to math?

especially math. Pure math is so abstract that no one really gives a crap about. Sure! There are 0.5% jobs out there that pay a shit load for people who understand the stuff developing intense logic stuff but for most graduates, its so hard to find a job where you can apply your skills. If industry hasn't been able to apply it, I would stay away from a master/PHd, unless you really want to do research and continue on with academia. A bachelor in math can help you find a job but like I said, no degree out there will garuntee you a job. People told me EE is and its not. I'm top 10 in my class and I did internship so its not like I didnt perform well either. In fact, #1 in our class doesnt have a job either. People who do are those you had family hook-ups or got really lucky.
rackdude
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States882 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-21 17:07:16
May 21 2010 17:06 GMT
#237
On May 22 2010 01:58 TunaFishyMe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2010 01:24 rackdude wrote:
Anyone know if this applies to math?

especially math. Pure math is so abstract that no one really gives a crap about. Sure!


Sorry but I lost you right there. The first thing I was taught in pure math is each problem's potential applications if solved. It seems like you aren't really part of the field. That's ok, but I'm looking for someone who knows the field. You sound like you're EE and that's all fine and dandy. Sorry if I come off as mean .
Sweet.
cz
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States3249 Posts
May 21 2010 17:20 GMT
#238
On May 22 2010 02:06 rackdude wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2010 01:58 TunaFishyMe wrote:
On May 22 2010 01:24 rackdude wrote:
Anyone know if this applies to math?

especially math. Pure math is so abstract that no one really gives a crap about. Sure!


Sorry but I lost you right there. The first thing I was taught in pure math is each problem's potential applications if solved. It seems like you aren't really part of the field. That's ok, but I'm looking for someone who knows the field. You sound like you're EE and that's all fine and dandy. Sorry if I come off as mean .


The point is no business is going to pay you $60k+/year right out of university, whether as a PhD or not, to try and solve abstract problems that have long term implications. That doesn't make the business money. The only thing that would hire for that would be academia, and then you are in the exact same boat as what the OP is all about: too many PhDs, not enough decent paying positions (unless you count $30-40k/year after your PhD as "decent").

If your education does not give you the skills to immediately impact and increase the profit for a company, why would the private sector hire you? And if they don't, you are stuck with the govt/academia, which is already packed full of PhD's competing over $30k/year jobs (immediately) and the rare tenure track position 5-10 years after. The bottom line is, don't go into science (or math) or anything else trying to A) make a good living and B) do pure research as they are mutually incompatible for most and the first extremely difficult anyways.
rackdude
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States882 Posts
May 21 2010 17:36 GMT
#239
On May 22 2010 02:20 cz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2010 02:06 rackdude wrote:
On May 22 2010 01:58 TunaFishyMe wrote:
On May 22 2010 01:24 rackdude wrote:
Anyone know if this applies to math?

especially math. Pure math is so abstract that no one really gives a crap about. Sure!


Sorry but I lost you right there. The first thing I was taught in pure math is each problem's potential applications if solved. It seems like you aren't really part of the field. That's ok, but I'm looking for someone who knows the field. You sound like you're EE and that's all fine and dandy. Sorry if I come off as mean .


The point is no business is going to pay you $60k+/year right out of university, whether as a PhD or not, to try and solve abstract problems that have long term implications. That doesn't make the business money. The only thing that would hire for that would be academia, and then you are in the exact same boat as what the OP is all about: too many PhDs, not enough decent paying positions (unless you count $30-40k/year after your PhD as "decent").

If your education does not give you the skills to immediately impact and increase the profit for a company, why would the private sector hire you? And if they don't, you are stuck with the govt/academia, which is already packed full of PhD's competing over $30k/year jobs (immediately) and the rare tenure track position 5-10 years after. The bottom line is, don't go into science (or math) or anything else trying to A) make a good living and B) do pure research as they are mutually incompatible for most and the first extremely difficult anyways.


This thread is about academia. He says there are too many PhDs. People say that's true about many sciences. However, you cannot blanket statement it to EVERY single field. So, I'm wondering about math.
Sweet.
goldrush
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Canada709 Posts
May 21 2010 17:43 GMT
#240
On May 22 2010 00:59 TunaFishyMe wrote:
I just graduated from EE at Queen's U in Canada. I was thinking about doing a masters in EE to improve my credentials and help me get a better job. Let me clear something up. Doing a master's or a PHd is not going to help you get further ahead if you don't go back into the same field. I worked at AMD and spoke with 5-6 engineers who have a masters in EE from supervisor level to director level. ALL of them told me their master's didnt help get them to where they wanted to be. Why? Because they did their master's in something unrelated to their line of work now. In the real world, no one cares if you have a master's or not. Or a PHd for that matter. They aren't going to treat you any different. What's important is that you are compentent and know what you are doing. If your Master's and PHd relates to what you do in industry, they will help quite a bit. But most (at least 90%) change their line of work eventually, making their degrees useless. Point? Don't do a master's because you think it'll improve your future JUST because you have a master's. That is so naive and a waste of 2 years. Most of academia doesn't even apply to industry so unless you want to continue doing research for the rest of your life, I wouldn't go into it. Especially not PHd.

Personally I feel that the author of the article is 100% correct. He's a bit harsh but thats reality. The real world is horrible.
One another thing that is important. A Bachelor degree is useless. Why? Because everyone and their mother's have one too. Does this mean you HAVE to do a masters? No, It means you need to differentiate yourself. You get your bachelor so on paper, you have the minimum but outside of school you get involved, work for ppl, start your own business. Do something impressive to differentiate yourself and that is how you can get a job.
For me, I'm doing a non-research oriented master's at UT. I want to move more into business so I'm doing a masters of management. We'll see how that goes.
I just gave you guys 4 years of solid info. Consider yourself lucky! lol



Education gets you a foot in the door and then you have to prove that you belong there. But having that foot in the door is important, it doesn't matter if you can do the job if the people aren't going to give you a shot.
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1187
GuemChi 637
Hyun 543
firebathero 373
BeSt 321
Leta 292
Soma 191
Mong 155
Shine 97
PianO 65
[ Show more ]
sSak 48
910 48
Hyuk 46
yabsab 30
HiyA 24
Bale 23
Hm[arnc] 22
ZergMaN 21
Shinee 18
Noble 14
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss835
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King349
Other Games
summit1g8582
gofns5025
olofmeister1273
ceh9634
JimRising 439
KnowMe127
Trikslyr33
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick457
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream28
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast34
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos626
• Stunt423
Other Games
• Shiphtur447
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
2h 10m
Patches Events
7h 10m
The PondCast
1d 1h
INu's Battles
1d 2h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.