• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:36
CEST 21:36
KST 04:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13401 users

Collateral Murder - WikiLeaks - Page 30

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 28 29 30 31 32 34 Next All
ggrrg
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Bulgaria2717 Posts
April 07 2010 18:13 GMT
#581
It seems to me that some people in this thread don't have a problem with the soldiers straight out lying. They saw the same as we did in this video. Yet they were absolutely certain that there were multiple weapons. They didn't even bother to check better and it didn't even cross their mind that there are indeed people who carry around stuff other than weapons (I hope all Iraqis have been instructud not to buy purses or bags). When you state that something is true when you are not even remotely sure about this, then you basically lie.


I found that interesting:
+ Show Spoiler +

On April 07 2010 02:25 RyanS wrote:
[image loading]

Certainly not a weapon. I dare anyone to carry a 6,3 kg RPG this way for longer than 5 minutes. Your arm will surely fall off. Besides that it feels like he has an extremely long arm if the black line is anything he carries.
For reference this is how you carry around a RPG


[image loading]


Also a very strange way to carry an AK. It's still possible to be a weapon (and not just a shadow/object on the ground), however to say that it certainly is a weapon is nothing more than a bold guess.


On April 08 2010 02:24 enthusiast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 07 2010 09:12 DreamShake wrote:
[image loading]


Quoting because I haven't seen anyone acknowledge this. How can you possibly think the first attack is unjustified after seeing this picture?

May I ask what you see there? I see a truck.


Just a post I consider as very interesting:
+ Show Spoiler +
On April 07 2010 07:52 Not_Computer wrote:
This thread needs more pics.

[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]

*around here the RPG guy walks off screen and isn't seen again
[image loading]


[image loading]


Conclusion: Those two guys with weapons are idiots.

Camera Timeline:
06:21:10 shooting starts
06:22:15 shooting ends
06:22:45 smoke clears
06:25:25 van arrives

Show nested quote +
On April 07 2010 07:13 GunsofthePatriots wrote:
So many Canadians whining in this thread.

Sorry if condemning murder is considered whining.

edit: fixed thumbnails into pics
edit2: regarding the guy with the RPG aiming at the humvees from around the corner...

[image loading]


edit3:
I'm not saying that the helicopter crew would be able to spot something like this as we would. I understand that during the heat of battle the chances of them noticing a minor detail such as this would be slim-to-none.

However, as I've said before, I do hope that a situation like this would never occur again. Better equipment, more experience in weapon recognition, and perhaps circle around once more before opening fire to be extra certain.

And I'll say again, what happened happened. I'm only posting these pictures to help settle the dispute of "none of them were holding weapons" vs "a lot of them were holding weapons". I also wanted to point out the journalists for those who couldn't tell.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-07 20:00:13
April 07 2010 19:47 GMT
#582
On April 08 2010 03:07 Tjuba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2010 01:58 Jibba wrote:
What actually did it was the typos. When I see typos and vitriol, I immediately think of baal and he would definitely write and believe something like that.


A couple of minutes ago I thought typos were annoying but now I think typos are great! They seem to give that extra flair of innocence. Thank you.

Not to derail the thread too much, I ask you guys something semi relative.
Is the value of life objective or subjective?
If Objective, how much?
If Sujective how would you messure it?

I am mostly curious on you who claim life is priceless (all life is equal), and If you could think yourself in a situation were that would not be true.

1. Subjective
2. I don't know. Sometimes it's better to bury things instead of think about them.

On April 08 2010 03:13 ggrrg wrote:
May I ask what you see there? I see a truck.

This is precisely the problem that this thread faces. We know what it's like from the journalists' postmortem perspective. That's easy. It's right in front of you. The soldiers killed innocent people, etc. That's who's perspective the photo gives us. Now go beyond that. Attempt to understand the perspective that's not immediately in front of you, even though that's an impossible task. What would the photographer of that picture look like while he's taking it, leaning around a corner and pointing a long black object (we're not talking about point-and-shoots here) at the tanks?

Even if you spotted the Canon logo on the zoom extension, what would you immediately think that they were doing? Would you immediately think they were just a journalist? Nearly all journalists stick to the green zone and when they go out, they are embedded within the military. Or is it more likely that they're there taking photos, or running surveilance for someone else? Or is the camera a decoy?

How many of you would be willing to do the job of those photographers? The rational response is anyone willing to go into a hot zone right after such an attack is either hostile or crazy.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-07 19:54:06
April 07 2010 19:53 GMT
#583
Everything is subjective. But if you don't want to live in a chaotic society you have to make people think that some things are objective ( Hence morality etc ... )
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
SingletonWilliam
Profile Joined April 2008
United States664 Posts
April 07 2010 20:00 GMT
#584
On April 08 2010 01:04 Tjuba wrote:
In war European soldiers would never do misstakes or make biased conclutions just to be extra safe. In fact that Europeans number one goal in war is to make sure that they don't commit any warcrimes. Europeans are just that morally superior than Americans. There are multiple examples through out history that reinforce this fact.

Every European mother also teaches her child that every human life is priceless. We know this is true based on naivety and morals alone. It's not like we see proof of the contrary... like everyday.


A fine example of how to include as many over generalizations as possible.

I hope this is a troll and people don't think in this nature and then try to inject their thoughts into a debate.
Aegraen #1 Fan!
ulszz
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
Jamaica1787 Posts
April 07 2010 20:23 GMT
#585


a video of the family
everliving, everfaithful, eversure
xBillehx
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States1289 Posts
April 07 2010 20:29 GMT
#586
I just want to reiterate for anyone who still believes they had no weapons that it was confirmed in the video (unedited version, thanks anti-American media) that weapons and RPG rounds were found under the bodies of the first attack.
Taengoo ♥
7mk
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Germany10157 Posts
April 07 2010 20:33 GMT
#587
On April 08 2010 03:10 Liquid`NonY wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2010 01:04 Tjuba wrote:
In war European soldiers would never do misstakes or make biased conclutions just to be extra safe. In fact that Europeans number one goal in war is to make sure that they don't commit any warcrimes. Europeans are just that morally superior than Americans. There are multiple examples through out history that reinforce this fact.

Every European mother also teaches her child that every human life is priceless. We know this is true based on naivety and morals alone. It's not like we see proof of the contrary... like everyday.

WWII? Is that too long ago?


Tbh yeah it is.
At least if you look at germany the country has obviously changed a shitload because its learned from the shit that happened in WW2.

That being said Tjubas' post is obviously a bit retarded.
beep boop
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
April 07 2010 21:14 GMT
#588
This forum has such a hard time with sarcasm
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
April 07 2010 21:35 GMT
#589
On April 08 2010 06:14 BlackJack wrote:
This forum has such a hard time with sarcasm

No, it doesn't.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
Romantic
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1844 Posts
April 07 2010 21:42 GMT
#590
Oh my! People actually don't break down and cry when someone dies like in the movies?! Soldiers don't shoot people with weapons if they fire at US forced on the ground?! Damn, and all this time I thought humans didn't have primal, tribal characteristics that made then separate themselves into groups and kill each other. I sure am getting a reality check.
new_construct
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Canada1041 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-07 21:46:16
April 07 2010 21:44 GMT
#591
On April 08 2010 04:47 Jibba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2010 03:07 Tjuba wrote:
On April 08 2010 01:58 Jibba wrote:
What actually did it was the typos. When I see typos and vitriol, I immediately think of baal and he would definitely write and believe something like that.


A couple of minutes ago I thought typos were annoying but now I think typos are great! They seem to give that extra flair of innocence. Thank you.

Not to derail the thread too much, I ask you guys something semi relative.
Is the value of life objective or subjective?
If Objective, how much?
If Sujective how would you messure it?

I am mostly curious on you who claim life is priceless (all life is equal), and If you could think yourself in a situation were that would not be true.

1. Subjective
2. I don't know. Sometimes it's better to bury things instead of think about them.

Show nested quote +
On April 08 2010 03:13 ggrrg wrote:
May I ask what you see there? I see a truck.

This is precisely the problem that this thread faces. We know what it's like from the journalists' postmortem perspective. That's easy. It's right in front of you. The soldiers killed innocent people, etc. That's who's perspective the photo gives us. Now go beyond that. Attempt to understand the perspective that's not immediately in front of you, even though that's an impossible task. What would the photographer of that picture look like while he's taking it, leaning around a corner and pointing a long black object (we're not talking about point-and-shoots here) at the tanks?

Even if you spotted the Canon logo on the zoom extension, what would you immediately think that they were doing? Would you immediately think they were just a journalist? Nearly all journalists stick to the green zone and when they go out, they are embedded within the military. Or is it more likely that they're there taking photos, or running surveilance for someone else? Or is the camera a decoy?

How many of you would be willing to do the job of those photographers? The rational response is anyone willing to go into a hot zone right after such an attack is either hostile or crazy.

So when american soldiers killing Iraqi civilians while cracking jokes you are trying to justify their action because of their high emotional stress, and when a Iraqi journalist go into a hot zone right after an attack, you calling him crazy? That is not a biased argument at all, i'd say.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
April 07 2010 21:48 GMT
#592
On April 08 2010 06:44 new_construct wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2010 04:47 Jibba wrote:
On April 08 2010 03:07 Tjuba wrote:
On April 08 2010 01:58 Jibba wrote:
What actually did it was the typos. When I see typos and vitriol, I immediately think of baal and he would definitely write and believe something like that.


A couple of minutes ago I thought typos were annoying but now I think typos are great! They seem to give that extra flair of innocence. Thank you.

Not to derail the thread too much, I ask you guys something semi relative.
Is the value of life objective or subjective?
If Objective, how much?
If Sujective how would you messure it?

I am mostly curious on you who claim life is priceless (all life is equal), and If you could think yourself in a situation were that would not be true.

1. Subjective
2. I don't know. Sometimes it's better to bury things instead of think about them.

On April 08 2010 03:13 ggrrg wrote:
May I ask what you see there? I see a truck.

This is precisely the problem that this thread faces. We know what it's like from the journalists' postmortem perspective. That's easy. It's right in front of you. The soldiers killed innocent people, etc. That's who's perspective the photo gives us. Now go beyond that. Attempt to understand the perspective that's not immediately in front of you, even though that's an impossible task. What would the photographer of that picture look like while he's taking it, leaning around a corner and pointing a long black object (we're not talking about point-and-shoots here) at the tanks?

Even if you spotted the Canon logo on the zoom extension, what would you immediately think that they were doing? Would you immediately think they were just a journalist? Nearly all journalists stick to the green zone and when they go out, they are embedded within the military. Or is it more likely that they're there taking photos, or running surveilance for someone else? Or is the camera a decoy?

How many of you would be willing to do the job of those photographers? The rational response is anyone willing to go into a hot zone right after such an attack is either hostile or crazy.

So when american soldiers killing Iraqi civilians while cracking jokes you are trying to justify their action because of their high emotional stress, and when a Iraqi journalist go into a hot zone right after an attack, you calling him crazy?
I was pretty clear in an earlier post that being in war does make you crazy, as it's simply impossible to reconcile civilian and military realms. However, in this case, the soldiers' decisions were rational, the journalists' were not. Or they were, and they understood the high probability of their death.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
new_construct
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Canada1041 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-07 22:07:39
April 07 2010 22:00 GMT
#593
If those soldiers' decisions were considered rational in the real world, then Hollywood probably should stop making war films where they portray American soldiers as civilian loving saints. Because it is really unfair for the real Iraqi civilians killed in war in such a fashion. But then again, no matter what those american soldiers did in Iraq or afghan, they will still be considered as heroes back home. And I wonder why those terrorists hate Americans so much.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
April 07 2010 22:13 GMT
#594
For the most part, soldiers are very well trained and very empathetic. It's pretty clear to me that you know nothing about warfare or soldiers, and you really just want to go on an anti-American tangent. I'm done. There's no use in me trying to discuss it anymore.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
On_Slaught
Profile Joined August 2008
United States12190 Posts
April 07 2010 22:14 GMT
#595
On April 08 2010 07:00 new_construct wrote:
If those soldiers' decisions were considered rational in the real world, then Hollywood probably should stop making war films where they portray American soldiers as civilian loving saints. Because it is really unfair for the real Iraqi civilians killed in war in such a fashion. But then again, no matter what those american soldiers did in Iraq or afghan, they will still be considered as heroes back home. And I wonder why those terrorists hate Americans so much.


It's unfair to Iraqis that American soldiers are portrayed as nice in films?

The terrorists hate America because we love our soldiers even if they aren't like the ones in movies?

I'm going to go with no.
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
April 07 2010 22:56 GMT
#596
On April 08 2010 07:00 new_construct wrote:
If those soldiers' decisions were considered rational in the real world, then Hollywood probably should stop making war films where they portray American soldiers as civilian loving saints. Because it is really unfair for the real Iraqi civilians killed in war in such a fashion. But then again, no matter what those american soldiers did in Iraq or afghan, they will still be considered as heroes back home. And I wonder why those terrorists hate Americans so much.


Hollywood doesn't really portray that. It's not a secret that collateral damage exists. They're there to kill insurgents, not preserve civilian life. That doesn't mean they are going to blow up a 50 civilians to kill 1 terrorist amongst them, and it certainly doesn't mean they are going to hold their fire on 50 insurgents if there is 1 civilian amongst them. In a movie you might see a soldier carrying a wounded Iraqi child to get him some medical attention, but that's what happened in the video, isn't it?
Tjuba
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden7 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-07 23:11:19
April 07 2010 23:07 GMT
#597
On April 08 2010 05:33 7mk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2010 03:10 Liquid`NonY wrote:
On April 08 2010 01:04 Tjuba wrote:
In war European soldiers would never do misstakes or make biased conclutions just to be extra safe. In fact that Europeans number one goal in war is to make sure that they don't commit any warcrimes. Europeans are just that morally superior than Americans. There are multiple examples through out history that reinforce this fact.

Every European mother also teaches her child that every human life is priceless. We know this is true based on naivety and morals alone. It's not like we see proof of the contrary... like everyday.

WWII? Is that too long ago?


Tbh yeah it is.
At least if you look at germany the country has obviously changed a shitload because its learned from the shit that happened in WW2.

That being said Tjubas' post is obviously a bit retarded.


Only a bit?

While Nony said nothing about Germany specific, Germany have come a long way for sure. I visit Berlin about once a year as it is a amazing city with friendly people. No war crimes in sight.
But Germany consist of 82 million individuals... You and I have probably not met them all, so can you honestly say that this scenario could never had happened if it was German military?

Considering that some people here have trouble identifying something so obvious fake in a safe environment and not spend the time reading the next 4-5 posts required for a clear answer that, yes, that post was indeed sarcasm. Maybe... just maybe they would have made the same mistake as the helicopter crew and identified that camera as a weapon as well?

On April 08 2010 06:44 new_construct wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2010 04:47 Jibba wrote:
On April 08 2010 03:07 Tjuba wrote:
On April 08 2010 01:58 Jibba wrote:
What actually did it was the typos. When I see typos and vitriol, I immediately think of baal and he would definitely write and believe something like that.


A couple of minutes ago I thought typos were annoying but now I think typos are great! They seem to give that extra flair of innocence. Thank you.

Not to derail the thread too much, I ask you guys something semi relative.
Is the value of life objective or subjective?
If Objective, how much?
If Sujective how would you messure it?

I am mostly curious on you who claim life is priceless (all life is equal), and If you could think yourself in a situation were that would not be true.

1. Subjective
2. I don't know. Sometimes it's better to bury things instead of think about them.

On April 08 2010 03:13 ggrrg wrote:
May I ask what you see there? I see a truck.

This is precisely the problem that this thread faces. We know what it's like from the journalists' postmortem perspective. That's easy. It's right in front of you. The soldiers killed innocent people, etc. That's who's perspective the photo gives us. Now go beyond that. Attempt to understand the perspective that's not immediately in front of you, even though that's an impossible task. What would the photographer of that picture look like while he's taking it, leaning around a corner and pointing a long black object (we're not talking about point-and-shoots here) at the tanks?

Even if you spotted the Canon logo on the zoom extension, what would you immediately think that they were doing? Would you immediately think they were just a journalist? Nearly all journalists stick to the green zone and when they go out, they are embedded within the military. Or is it more likely that they're there taking photos, or running surveilance for someone else? Or is the camera a decoy?

How many of you would be willing to do the job of those photographers? The rational response is anyone willing to go into a hot zone right after such an attack is either hostile or crazy.

So when american soldiers killing Iraqi civilians while cracking jokes you are trying to justify their action because of their high emotional stress, and when a Iraqi journalist go into a hot zone right after an attack, you calling him crazy? That is not a biased argument at all, i'd say.


Have you ever fought in a war? Or been in the military? Have you been in a situation were other peoples lives depend on you?

I haven't.

Lets say you are the gunner of that helicopter and after having spotted at least 3 armed insurgents, got confirmation from command to open fire and the pilot urges you to shoot. Would you really have said something like “Hey dude, I am not too sure. Perhaps some of them are journalists”
I would be very impressed. Maybe not so impressive if that rpg had taken out that Hummer and soldiers which you was tasked to protect.

Me? If I had been a trained soldier used to follow orders, I am pretty sure I would have shot. I would probably shot the van too. That is what scares me the most about this video. :/

Hopefully I made my point more clear this time.
new_construct
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Canada1041 Posts
April 07 2010 23:13 GMT
#598
The movie soldiers will try to minimize collateral damage as much as possible, if they accidentally killed a civilian, they will make those sad panda faces, they would save the little girl even if it means to sacrifice half of the squad. The movie soldiers are multi-dimensional, understanding, intelligent characters, where in real life, like ppl said, they are just killing machines.
Tdelamay
Profile Joined October 2009
Canada548 Posts
April 07 2010 23:17 GMT
#599
On April 08 2010 08:13 new_construct wrote:
The movie soldiers will try to minimize collateral damage as much as possible, if they accidentally killed a civilian, they will make those sad panda faces, they would save the little girl even if it means to sacrifice half of the squad. The movie soldiers are multi-dimensional, understanding, intelligent characters, where in real life, like ppl said, they are just killing machines.


The soldiers in Jarhead were quite realistic.
This road isn't leading anywhere...
new_construct
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Canada1041 Posts
April 07 2010 23:19 GMT
#600
On April 08 2010 08:07 Tjuba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2010 05:33 7mk wrote:
On April 08 2010 03:10 Liquid`NonY wrote:
On April 08 2010 01:04 Tjuba wrote:
In war European soldiers would never do misstakes or make biased conclutions just to be extra safe. In fact that Europeans number one goal in war is to make sure that they don't commit any warcrimes. Europeans are just that morally superior than Americans. There are multiple examples through out history that reinforce this fact.

Every European mother also teaches her child that every human life is priceless. We know this is true based on naivety and morals alone. It's not like we see proof of the contrary... like everyday.

WWII? Is that too long ago?


Tbh yeah it is.
At least if you look at germany the country has obviously changed a shitload because its learned from the shit that happened in WW2.

That being said Tjubas' post is obviously a bit retarded.


Only a bit?

While Nony said nothing about Germany specific, Germany have come a long way for sure. I visit Berlin about once a year as it is a amazing city with friendly people. No war crimes in sight.
But Germany consist of 82 million individuals... You and I have probably not met them all, so can you honestly say that this scenario could never had happened if it was German military?

Considering that some people here have trouble identifying something so obvious fake in a safe environment and not spend the time reading the next 4-5 posts required for a clear answer that, yes, that post was indeed sarcasm. Maybe... just maybe they would have made the same mistake as the helicopter crew and identified that camera as a weapon as well?

Show nested quote +
On April 08 2010 06:44 new_construct wrote:
On April 08 2010 04:47 Jibba wrote:
On April 08 2010 03:07 Tjuba wrote:
On April 08 2010 01:58 Jibba wrote:
What actually did it was the typos. When I see typos and vitriol, I immediately think of baal and he would definitely write and believe something like that.


A couple of minutes ago I thought typos were annoying but now I think typos are great! They seem to give that extra flair of innocence. Thank you.

Not to derail the thread too much, I ask you guys something semi relative.
Is the value of life objective or subjective?
If Objective, how much?
If Sujective how would you messure it?

I am mostly curious on you who claim life is priceless (all life is equal), and If you could think yourself in a situation were that would not be true.

1. Subjective
2. I don't know. Sometimes it's better to bury things instead of think about them.

On April 08 2010 03:13 ggrrg wrote:
May I ask what you see there? I see a truck.

This is precisely the problem that this thread faces. We know what it's like from the journalists' postmortem perspective. That's easy. It's right in front of you. The soldiers killed innocent people, etc. That's who's perspective the photo gives us. Now go beyond that. Attempt to understand the perspective that's not immediately in front of you, even though that's an impossible task. What would the photographer of that picture look like while he's taking it, leaning around a corner and pointing a long black object (we're not talking about point-and-shoots here) at the tanks?

Even if you spotted the Canon logo on the zoom extension, what would you immediately think that they were doing? Would you immediately think they were just a journalist? Nearly all journalists stick to the green zone and when they go out, they are embedded within the military. Or is it more likely that they're there taking photos, or running surveilance for someone else? Or is the camera a decoy?

How many of you would be willing to do the job of those photographers? The rational response is anyone willing to go into a hot zone right after such an attack is either hostile or crazy.

So when american soldiers killing Iraqi civilians while cracking jokes you are trying to justify their action because of their high emotional stress, and when a Iraqi journalist go into a hot zone right after an attack, you calling him crazy? That is not a biased argument at all, i'd say.


Have you ever fought in a war? Or been in the military? Have you been in a situation were other peoples lives depend on you?

I haven't.

Lets say you are the gunner of that helicopter and after having spotted at least 3 armed insurgents, got confirmation from command to open fire and the pilot urges you to shoot. Would you really have said something like “Hey dude, I am not too sure. Perhaps some of them are journalists”
I would be very impressed. Maybe not so impressive if that rpg had taken out that Hummer and soldiers which you was tasked to protect.

Me? If I had been a trained soldier used to follow orders, I am pretty sure I would have shot. I would probably shot the van too. That is what scares me the most about this video. :/

Hopefully I made my point more clear this time.


What am I trying to say is it might piss people off knowing that most people(me included) learn about the military from movies and documentaries when the real thing is completely different from how the media portrays.
Prev 1 28 29 30 31 32 34 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
PRO & GOSU #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1463
TKL 450
IndyStarCraft 265
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1598
TKL 450
IndyStarCraft 286
EmSc Tv 8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 24583
Calm 2413
Shuttle 360
Mini 175
White-Ra 145
ZZZero.O 97
firebathero 81
scan(afreeca) 26
soO 12
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc11361
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1341
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3965
Liquid`Hasu559
MindelVK6
Other Games
summit1g5196
Liquid`RaSZi2253
fl0m1661
FrodaN1339
B2W.Neo755
olofmeister639
Khaldor426
Beastyqt274
Livibee196
crisheroes151
Pyrionflax101
Mew2King68
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick556
BasetradeTV230
StarCraft 2
angryscii 15
EmSc Tv 8
EmSc2Tv 8
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 27
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
• niya90s 0
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach38
• Azhi_Dahaki32
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1221
• Shiphtur672
• WagamamaTV376
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 24m
Replay Cast
3h 24m
OSC
16h 24m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 15h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.