• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:23
CEST 20:23
KST 03:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20267Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Biografia
Playlenda
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10385 users

[Game] Osu! - Page 313

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 311 312 313 314 315 370 Next
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10569 Posts
April 19 2015 04:14 GMT
#6241
On April 19 2015 09:43 bardtown wrote:
What do you guys use for screen capture? And what is the limit you can do with a mouse? I'm starting to play some 5+ star maps but I only get 40% or something right now. Terrible score, but looking at the replays I think I'm keeping up pretty well, and practicing on hard maps is pushing up my scores on easier maps. It looks like with enough practice I'll be capable of doing 5.5 stars with a mouse. I have another 5.8* map though. Can't follow that one at all, I get 10% just by spamming all over the place :D

the skillcap of tablet and mouse are equally high, contrary to popular belief. the tablet only as the advantage in consistency and how easy it is to learn to use. But people who think tablet users are just better are wrong, if you practice really hard with a mouse, you can get the same scores as tablet players. People like Doomsday, cptnxn, Gokuri are all gods with mouse because they really put their time and effort into learning them.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-19 14:46:05
April 19 2015 14:38 GMT
#6242
the skillcap of tablet and mouse are equally high


i do not agree. We can't use mouse mechanically perfectly so there will always be things like drift and the advantages are too big on very fast maps of being able to know where your cursor is using tablet without rlying on the very slow ~170ms visual feedback time (assuming your eyes are even looking at the cursor, they're probably looking ahead reading the map at ar10-11)
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-19 15:50:11
April 19 2015 15:47 GMT
#6243
Atm the limits of playing with mouse are not so that you can't become high level with it. Any map until 7 stars I've played is absolutely doable with mouse, most 8 star maps as well. That doesn't mean i can play them, but my left hand is holding me back, not my right hand.
I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but doubting mouse possibilities when you get 40% on 5 star maps is like calling imbalance at bronze level. It's completely irrelevant. Don't get me wrong, buy a tablet if you feel that's better for you, but don't blame it on the mouse, (unless you're a top level player). For some people tablet just fits better, just like mouse fits better with me. The tablet bias had become so bad that I'm even being called a liar in mp. Although i do think a tablet is objectively better disregarding an individual's properties, it's influence is vastly overestimated by people who can't play.

Actually I'm surprised, cyro, you consider looking at your cursor in your reasoning. Anything low ar, hidden and high ar is unplayable when you keep looking at your cursor, regardless of instrument. That's why i still have a trail. You maybe need to confirm the location of your cursor once every 5 seconds or so, without actively looking at it. I don't see or track my cursor at all.

And obligatory score:
I was able to pass mothership hrhd first try:
The spacy streams are pretty hard at this cs. Or it's hard to not fuck up enough to die.
[image loading]
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
April 19 2015 20:34 GMT
#6244
Actually I'm surprised, cyro, you consider looking at your cursor in your reasoning. Anything low ar, hidden and high ar is unplayable when you keep looking at your cursor, regardless of instrument. That's why i still have a trail. You maybe need to confirm the location of your cursor once every 5 seconds or so, without actively looking at it. I don't see or track my cursor at all.


That's exactly why it's better on tablet when it can't drift away from where you assume it to be. It happens all the time to me with mouse unless i play very regularly unless i stick to maps that are relatively easy for me to aim
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
bardtown
Profile Joined June 2011
England2313 Posts
April 19 2015 20:36 GMT
#6245
Dude I am in no way blaming the mouse :p I fucking suck at this game. I'm just wondering if I should transition to a tablet early on. So long as I have my PC around I'm inclined to stay with the mouse because this should improve my aiming in other games, but I may be moving somewhere where I can only take my (really weak) laptop, in which case osu! would be one of the only games I could play, so it might be worth switching to tablet.

At this stage I'm not being held back by either hand, but just by lack of coordination between the two I think. If anything I'm being held back by my tapping hand too, because I can follow most maps with my mouse but I don't intuitively pick up a rhythm unless it's obvious, so it takes my tapping hand longer to learn a map.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-19 21:12:59
April 19 2015 20:51 GMT
#6246
but I don't intuitively pick up a rhythm unless it's obvious


that's why it's better to get to ar8-9 maps of decent BPM as soon as possible. The easier difficulty maps are actually harder in some ways (and not mapped as well)

there needs to be a certain level of difficulty for somebody to map in a way that makes sense with the music, when you go below that level it can be difficult/confusing to understand where circles are in the music and why, because some important parts of the music are not represented and other random parts are
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
bardtown
Profile Joined June 2011
England2313 Posts
April 19 2015 22:23 GMT
#6247
On April 20 2015 05:51 Cyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
but I don't intuitively pick up a rhythm unless it's obvious


that's why it's better to get to ar8-9 maps of decent BPM as soon as possible. The easier difficulty maps are actually harder in some ways (and not mapped as well)

there needs to be a certain level of difficulty for somebody to map in a way that makes sense with the music, when you go below that level it can be difficult/confusing to understand where circles are in the music and why, because some important parts of the music are not represented and other random parts are


Do you have a recommendation or two in the 4-5.5* range?
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
April 19 2015 22:28 GMT
#6248
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/53519

http://osu.ppy.sh/b/247999

http://osu.ppy.sh/b/124771
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-19 22:37:14
April 19 2015 22:35 GMT
#6249
On April 20 2015 05:34 Cyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
Actually I'm surprised, cyro, you consider looking at your cursor in your reasoning. Anything low ar, hidden and high ar is unplayable when you keep looking at your cursor, regardless of instrument. That's why i still have a trail. You maybe need to confirm the location of your cursor once every 5 seconds or so, without actively looking at it. I don't see or track my cursor at all.


That's exactly why it's better on tablet when it can't drift away from where you assume it to be. It happens all the time to me with mouse unless i play very regularly unless i stick to maps that are relatively easy for me to aim
The underlying principle is inconsistent movement, not whether you're looking at your cursor. And I believe i said i thought tablet was objectively better.

On April 20 2015 05:36 bardtown wrote:
Dude I am in no way blaming the mouse :p I fucking suck at this game. I'm just wondering if I should transition to a tablet early on. So long as I have my PC around I'm inclined to stay with the mouse because this should improve my aiming in other games, but I may be moving somewhere where I can only take my (really weak) laptop, in which case osu! would be one of the only games I could play, so it might be worth switching to tablet.

At this stage I'm not being held back by either hand, but just by lack of coordination between the two I think. If anything I'm being held back by my tapping hand too, because I can follow most maps with my mouse but I don't intuitively pick up a rhythm unless it's obvious, so it takes my tapping hand longer to learn a map.


Sorry for sounding offensive, maybe it was a semi-rant from my part. I think I misinterpreted the 'what is the limit...' sentence of your posts.

There is no universal solution for having trouble with rythm recognition, but I'd like to give some long term tips (maybe to make up for me being overly offensive). Like Cyro said, because many low star maps are mapped to be low level, their rythm is often weird. This means harder maps can be easier rythmically. I indeed think it's very important to get to around 4.5 star maps (or ar7/8/9, although recently ar8/9) quickly.
When you're trying to increase you're reading, try to be very conscious of every note. Play it in your head before you actually play it. Think of it as learning to ride a bike, at first you have to steer very consciously to not fall over. Playing simple rythms very consciously helps you in automating recognizing and playing rythms. This sounds very basic, and it is, but many people of semi-high level forget these kind of principles and get frustrated.

After you've gotten the hang of osu rythm in general, it is very important for your long term improvement that you practice a wide range of ar's. You don't have to practice extremely high/low ar's all the time, just once in a while go to higher or lower ar's than you're used to. The ultimate goal is to increase your reading speed to be able to read high ar, and to use that high reading speed in combination with some kind of 'calmness of play' to be able to play low ar. This 'calmness of play' I hope has an intuitive meaning (if not, I'll try to explain more in another post), but is very helpful when speeding up (bpm-wise) or playing hidden (as I've recently found out). Also, when your reaction speed, or reading speed increases, you will perceive higher ar to become lower. For example, when you're new to the game, ar7 is quite fast. But after some practicing, it will seem to snailpaced. This will also be the case for ar9 or 10 later. Practicing a wide range of ar's will prevent this effect partially.

And lastly, here are some oneliners that may be of help (they're not necessarily true!!):
Always read as far ahead as possible.
There are no bad maps, there's only bad play.
Made a reading mistake? Don't re-play, re-read.
Play every kind of map; style is never a reason to not play one.
Feel the music (even if you hate it).
Don't farm, improve. The more you improve, the easier farming gets.

Keep in mind this is not absolute truth, see if you can use any of it in your regular practice I hope it's helpful.
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
April 19 2015 22:38 GMT
#6250
Also, download this map:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/9463

Play the hard diff with dt. If you can time this, you can time anything
Zenith Phantasm
Profile Joined April 2015
United States12 Posts
April 20 2015 06:46 GMT
#6251
Hi Im new.
"Move first, think later."
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
April 20 2015 12:18 GMT
#6252
There are plenty of other forums, Zenith
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Zenith Phantasm
Profile Joined April 2015
United States12 Posts
April 20 2015 15:58 GMT
#6253
:^) Ik
"Move first, think later."
bardtown
Profile Joined June 2011
England2313 Posts
April 21 2015 03:09 GMT
#6254
On April 20 2015 07:28 Cyro wrote:
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/53519

http://osu.ppy.sh/b/247999

http://osu.ppy.sh/b/124771


Thanks. These are pretty appropriately difficult maps for me. Have managed to get 75%+ on all of them. I feel like I'm getting significantly faster.

On April 20 2015 07:35 Yorbon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2015 05:34 Cyro wrote:
Actually I'm surprised, cyro, you consider looking at your cursor in your reasoning. Anything low ar, hidden and high ar is unplayable when you keep looking at your cursor, regardless of instrument. That's why i still have a trail. You maybe need to confirm the location of your cursor once every 5 seconds or so, without actively looking at it. I don't see or track my cursor at all.


That's exactly why it's better on tablet when it can't drift away from where you assume it to be. It happens all the time to me with mouse unless i play very regularly unless i stick to maps that are relatively easy for me to aim
The underlying principle is inconsistent movement, not whether you're looking at your cursor. And I believe i said i thought tablet was objectively better.

Show nested quote +
On April 20 2015 05:36 bardtown wrote:
Dude I am in no way blaming the mouse :p I fucking suck at this game. I'm just wondering if I should transition to a tablet early on. So long as I have my PC around I'm inclined to stay with the mouse because this should improve my aiming in other games, but I may be moving somewhere where I can only take my (really weak) laptop, in which case osu! would be one of the only games I could play, so it might be worth switching to tablet.

At this stage I'm not being held back by either hand, but just by lack of coordination between the two I think. If anything I'm being held back by my tapping hand too, because I can follow most maps with my mouse but I don't intuitively pick up a rhythm unless it's obvious, so it takes my tapping hand longer to learn a map.


Sorry for sounding offensive, maybe it was a semi-rant from my part. I think I misinterpreted the 'what is the limit...' sentence of your posts.

There is no universal solution for having trouble with rythm recognition, but I'd like to give some long term tips (maybe to make up for me being overly offensive). Like Cyro said, because many low star maps are mapped to be low level, their rythm is often weird. This means harder maps can be easier rythmically. I indeed think it's very important to get to around 4.5 star maps (or ar7/8/9, although recently ar8/9) quickly.
When you're trying to increase you're reading, try to be very conscious of every note. Play it in your head before you actually play it. Think of it as learning to ride a bike, at first you have to steer very consciously to not fall over. Playing simple rythms very consciously helps you in automating recognizing and playing rythms. This sounds very basic, and it is, but many people of semi-high level forget these kind of principles and get frustrated.

After you've gotten the hang of osu rythm in general, it is very important for your long term improvement that you practice a wide range of ar's. You don't have to practice extremely high/low ar's all the time, just once in a while go to higher or lower ar's than you're used to. The ultimate goal is to increase your reading speed to be able to read high ar, and to use that high reading speed in combination with some kind of 'calmness of play' to be able to play low ar. This 'calmness of play' I hope has an intuitive meaning (if not, I'll try to explain more in another post), but is very helpful when speeding up (bpm-wise) or playing hidden (as I've recently found out). Also, when your reaction speed, or reading speed increases, you will perceive higher ar to become lower. For example, when you're new to the game, ar7 is quite fast. But after some practicing, it will seem to snailpaced. This will also be the case for ar9 or 10 later. Practicing a wide range of ar's will prevent this effect partially.

And lastly, here are some oneliners that may be of help (they're not necessarily true!!):
Always read as far ahead as possible.
There are no bad maps, there's only bad play.
Made a reading mistake? Don't re-play, re-read.
Play every kind of map; style is never a reason to not play one.
Feel the music (even if you hate it).
Don't farm, improve. The more you improve, the easier farming gets.

Keep in mind this is not absolute truth, see if you can use any of it in your regular practice I hope it's helpful.


Yeah I play guitar so I get the need to play slowly for accuracy and learn things to transfer to high speed. My rhythm recognition is definitely improving. It's probably just a case of adapting to osu. I haven't really thought about reading at all, it's just developing naturally because it's required to play well. I have some bits in some maps that I just fail everytime though, so maybe focusing a bit more on reading will help. I may try playing them half speed too.
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10569 Posts
April 21 2015 03:59 GMT
#6255
On April 19 2015 23:38 Cyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
the skillcap of tablet and mouse are equally high


i do not agree. We can't use mouse mechanically perfectly so there will always be things like drift and the advantages are too big on very fast maps of being able to know where your cursor is using tablet without rlying on the very slow ~170ms visual feedback time (assuming your eyes are even looking at the cursor, they're probably looking ahead reading the map at ar10-11)

you might not be able to use mouse mechanically perfectly like a tablet, but the other mouse players can prove differently. drift and knowing where your cursor is on a tablet are inherent tablet benefits; however, excellent mouse users can almost replicate those. a mouse player can, and will be able to set the same scores as tablet players. They just aren't as consistent.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
Zenith Phantasm
Profile Joined April 2015
United States12 Posts
April 21 2015 17:47 GMT
#6256
*Inserts play more meme*
"Move first, think later."
Bobbias
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada1373 Posts
April 22 2015 07:13 GMT
#6257
So, i just found this video. Wow that map has some serious cancer patterns, but some cool concepts.

Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
April 22 2015 14:35 GMT
#6258
Yea it's cool, i like the sliders that go off screen around 3 minutes
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
maru~
Profile Joined February 2013
2345 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-22 22:20:50
April 22 2015 20:03 GMT
#6259
Haven't played that much lately, but finally passed: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3043334
This feels quite hard for a 200 bpm 6 star jump map, but maybe it's just me (and my shitty ar10 reading).

https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3043344 <- this map is super intense for a 210 bpm map, really fun to play though. Maplink


edit: lol@ dat spro map, rrtyui what a god.
Bobbias
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada1373 Posts
April 22 2015 22:03 GMT
#6260
On April 22 2015 23:35 Cyro wrote:
Yea it's cool, i like the sliders that go off screen around 3 minutes


Yeah, that's one of the coolest things in it. I also like the spinner+note stuff. The crazy fast burst early on looks like total cancer though.
Prev 1 311 312 313 314 315 370 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 52m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 564
ProTech150
UpATreeSC 131
JuggernautJason39
MindelVK 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31503
Calm 3293
Shuttle 991
actioN 196
firebathero 168
Dewaltoss 105
Hyun 28
HiyA 27
Bale 26
Free 25
[ Show more ]
NaDa 23
soO 23
Aegong 22
PianO 20
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7577
XaKoH 310
Fuzer 122
League of Legends
KnowMe88
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1569
fl0m1348
x6flipin474
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu338
Other Games
singsing1948
FrodaN1355
Beastyqt773
B2W.Neo530
ceh9484
mouzStarbuck355
Livibee194
byalli168
C9.Mang0115
RotterdaM98
Trikslyr73
Mew2King56
ToD20
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 56
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki53
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur814
• imaqtpie807
• WagamamaTV272
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 52m
Replay Cast
4h 37m
OSC
1d 4h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 15h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.