• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:17
CEST 12:17
KST 19:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9059 users

[Game] Osu! - Page 309

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 307 308 309 310 311 370 Next
Soularion
Profile Blog Joined January 2014
Canada2764 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-21 00:55:31
March 21 2015 00:54 GMT
#6161
Less Osu and more Osu!Mania : I broke 20k today! Picked it up a few days ago, and despite the lack of ranked maps for 4k (seriously I'd love to see more get ranked - maybe even make 4k and 7k different gamemodes, if there's that big of an issue) I've been doing pretty well. Will probably continue to push for top 250 canada/top 100k worldwide, but it's tough when you're only using 4k and aren't a god at it :/

More Osu : Holy shit I love this game. I'm fucking awful at it, though ;_;

EDIT : Accidentally put 'broke 200k' zzzz
Writermaru pls
MightySheep
Profile Joined May 2011
United Kingdom1 Post
March 21 2015 01:24 GMT
#6162
as much as I love playing Osu, I really suck at it, I have a hard time doing any songs above 3.5 stars

feel free to add MightySheep and I'll play if I'm online
Bobbias
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada1373 Posts
March 21 2015 07:53 GMT
#6163
On March 21 2015 09:54 Soularion wrote:
Less Osu and more Osu!Mania : I broke 20k today! Picked it up a few days ago, and despite the lack of ranked maps for 4k (seriously I'd love to see more get ranked - maybe even make 4k and 7k different gamemodes, if there's that big of an issue) I've been doing pretty well. Will probably continue to push for top 250 canada/top 100k worldwide, but it's tough when you're only using 4k and aren't a god at it :/

More Osu : Holy shit I love this game. I'm fucking awful at it, though ;_;

EDIT : Accidentally put 'broke 200k' zzzz


Hey now, 4k is getting ranked maps a lot faster than 7k is right now.
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
March 21 2015 10:20 GMT
#6164
pff, breaking 20k after a few days, i'm still stuck at 26. *Sigh
Or well, 'stuck', i just don't play very often.

7k is much more fun than 4k though (imo), go learn!
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-21 14:01:03
March 21 2015 12:42 GMT
#6165
http://puu.sh/gIU9m/fca0e480da.pdf

also guys, aparantly osu doesn't decouple rendering from input handling so you need very high FPS for your hit timings to register properly.

On a 120fps lock, your hits will be randomly delayed for a max of 8.33ms and average of 4.17ms, which means that if you hit everything on od10 at robot-level perfect timing, you'll still get 100's. If you don't, you'll get way more 100's than expected due to random deviation in when the game actually receives your clicks. You'll also have to mentally compensate for your hits being received later than usual - either by offsetting the game, or hitting too early on purpose.

At ~500fps it's much less bad, but more is better.

Edit: I got figure wrong, od10 is actually +-9ms and not +-8ms. I'l leave the math up anyway
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
March 21 2015 13:17 GMT
#6166
That doesn't surprise me one bit. I blamed it on my hardware, though, when i noticed delay.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-21 14:26:34
March 21 2015 13:37 GMT
#6167
What FPS do you play at? (probably told me before, but i forgot)
[image loading]
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
March 21 2015 17:24 GMT
#6168
about 400 i believe
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
March 21 2015 19:00 GMT
#6169
Haswell power :D

You should be pretty much fine there. It's just a major problem if you're dipping towards 100 or less, and better to have 500-1k+
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Soularion
Profile Blog Joined January 2014
Canada2764 Posts
March 21 2015 20:37 GMT
#6170
On March 21 2015 19:20 Yorbon wrote:
pff, breaking 20k after a few days, i'm still stuck at 26. *Sigh
Or well, 'stuck', i just don't play very often.

7k is much more fun than 4k though (imo), go learn!


7k's pretty fun but it's more reading-based - I'm not good at reading :<
Much better at speed/reactions, so 4k is just better for me.
I'll def learn 7k once my pp income starts dying down - I'm thinking I could probably hit 10k today/tormorrow, or at least somewhere close to there.
Writermaru pls
Bobbias
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada1373 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-22 07:32:40
March 22 2015 07:16 GMT
#6171
As someone who's put in an insane amount of time playing both 4k and 7k, I'll say this.

I think the problem most people have with 7k is simply that it takes longer to reach what I'll call basic proficiency. What I mean by basic proficiency is that point where you stop having to consciously read the patterns.

The good thing about the higher key modes in general is that it's much easier to transfer your skill to lower key modes.

I do suggest at the very least playing 7k occasionally even if you focus on 4k, if you ever plan on playing 7k seriously. I found the transition very difficult when I switched from 4k to 7k (however, it was made harder because I was also switching from upscroll in stepmania to downscroll in o2jam)

While 4k is fun, and I've actually been focusing on improving my 4k recently, I do feel like 7k has a better range of possible mapping styles and has more diversity in pattern styles, which makes it more interesting and fun to play in my opinion.

Also, I don't consider reaction speed itself to be more useful for 4k than 7k, except in the very beginning stages, before you've reached basic proficiency. Once you reach basic proficiency reaction speed mostly just allows you to use higher scroll speeds.

I think my laptop gets either 130ish or 200 fps at best on unlimited. Maybe that's why I can't fucking SS anything to save my life? (nah, i just have retarded hands that hate me and derp out all the time)

While I'm sitting here making a bunch of edits, I might as well talk about PP in mania a bit. In mania, there's no need to try to farm high accuracy high combo scores the same way there is in standard. A map will begin giving a substantial chunk of it's PP somewhere around 600k points (this is just anecdotal). It's entirely possible for a B to be one of your top PP scores (I have 3 Bs in my top scores list, one of them gives more than 200pp). While you can certainly get a larger chunk of the PP value of a map by getting high scores, if that map is not worth much PP, it doesn't matter how well you play. Star rating makes a massive difference in how much PP a map is worth, so if you're having trouble getting PP, try playing harder stuff and seeing if you can get any PP out of low score plays on harder maps.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
March 22 2015 14:12 GMT
#6172
130ish means your hits randomly being delayed by 0-8ms. That's well beyond the point where it would seriously affect your performance (and it's really stupid programming)
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Ame
Profile Joined October 2009
United States246 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-22 21:44:08
March 22 2015 21:43 GMT
#6173
I'd be more into 7k if my USB keyboard didn't complain during certain combinations of 3+ keys being held down. Finances are not at the place where I should be buying a new keyboard solely for 7k (same for tablet for osu~).

So question @ 7k-ers,
Are later songs filled with massive holds + multiple key presses? Will my combo (or accuracy) be forever doomed if I try to learn 7k >_>
Bobbias
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada1373 Posts
March 22 2015 22:38 GMT
#6174
You can use this page to look for combinations of keys that actually allow you to press more than 3 at once: http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/antighostingexplained.mspx

On my old laptop I had to move from SDF JKL to SDF KL: to play properly. I know Entozer (a very high level 7k player) uses L.shift z x space k l ; (either that or jkl on the right hand, not 100% sure) in order to be able to hit every key.

If you have an old PS/2 keyboard laying around you can try using that instead of a USB keyboad (USB to PS/2 converters don't help).

As difficulty increases in 7k, you will find many maps that make heavy use of lots of holds or large chords (multiple keys at once) more often (this really begins maybe around Hard/Insane level). There are 2 main games with their own style that influenced most good mappers. O2Jam is known for it's use of LNs (holds), which BMS rarely ever has any LNs at all, and focuses on difficult patterns of notes.

For a comparison, this first video is Entozer playing o2jam. The map he's playing is something he actually made for osumania. He's also randomizing the note positions. (Note: both of these maps are very high level, I still am nowhere near close to passing this first one, although I have passed the second one with bad scores):


Compare that to the patterns in this:
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
March 22 2015 22:42 GMT
#6175
If you have an old PS/2 keyboard laying around you can try using that instead of a USB keyboad (USB to PS/2 converters don't help).


It does, but only if your keyboard supports both usb and ps/2 (very rare unless it's certain mech boards)
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Ame
Profile Joined October 2009
United States246 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-22 23:29:58
March 22 2015 23:10 GMT
#6176
Hmm, the ghosting was an interesting read, I'll have to play around with that (no ps/2 keyboard on hand~, even if can probably get one for ~5$ lol).

But yea, my past influence was from beatmania, so the layout I had my keys set up was z e c t b u m :x

Looks like z 4 c 6 n 9 . might work, that stretch.
[v] [y] [n] [i and 9] [l] [-] [']
halp what am i doing

Guess fears from 4k are real (where it's just a giant wall/stream of 50-75% of of present keys being pressed). ;_;
Bobbias
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada1373 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-23 08:02:06
March 23 2015 05:58 GMT
#6177
On March 23 2015 07:42 Cyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
If you have an old PS/2 keyboard laying around you can try using that instead of a USB keyboad (USB to PS/2 converters don't help).


It does, but only if your keyboard supports both usb and ps/2 (very rare unless it's certain mech boards)


I do recall having read about that before, but honestly, if you have one of the keyboards it works with, you probably don't have ghosting problems unless you're trying to press 7 or more keys at once. And I just realized I'm actually getting more like 300 fps ingame when i'm playing.

Ame: those keybinds are frightening lol. I did at one point use something like sef jil or something in o2jam ages ago (also used wer iop). In general you want to try to keep the 3 keys for each hand clustered together to make it easier to press everything. The reason entozer uses shift as a key is because modifier keys like shift/ctrl/alt are often on circuits where other keys nearby won't block them, allowing for more keys to be pressed than you might otherwise manage. While it's possible to play with something unusual like the bindings you posted, it probably puts you at a pretty big disadvantage on anything beyond the relatively easy stuff.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-23 17:26:54
March 23 2015 15:54 GMT
#6178
but honestly, if you have one of the keyboards it works with, you probably don't have ghosting problems unless you're trying to press 7 or more keys at once.


It can still be a minor problem

_index just did this as well as some other plays and went #8 to #3 in 3 days -
Natsume Chiaki - Hanairo Biyori [Awaken's Challenge] +HR (99.74%) - 526pp
about 29 hours ago

DragonForce - Heroes of Our Time [Legend] +HR (98.12%) - 518pp
about 2 hours ago

Team Nekokan - Can't Defeat Airman [Holy Shit! It's Airman!!] +HR (99.28%) - 505pp
3 days ago


airman was 1x miss right at the end

only player with 3 plays >500pp AFAIK
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Ame
Profile Joined October 2009
United States246 Posts
March 24 2015 00:29 GMT
#6179
On March 23 2015 14:58 Bobbias wrote:
Ame: those keybinds are frightening lol. I did at one point use something like sef jil or something in o2jam ages ago (also used wer iop). In general you want to try to keep the 3 keys for each hand clustered together to make it easier to press everything. The reason entozer uses shift as a key is because modifier keys like shift/ctrl/alt are often on circuits where other keys nearby won't block them, allowing for more keys to be pressed than you might otherwise manage. While it's possible to play with something unusual like the bindings you posted, it probably puts you at a pretty big disadvantage on anything beyond the relatively easy stuff.


It's an ancient keyboard (I found out that it actually maxes out at 6 keypresses at once regardless of key position, no 7 key rows pls) I had in storage for years, so I washed all the terror out and popped off all the keys except for the 7 lol. I've been trying to learn ring/middle/thumb for both hands with either index for the middle most key. Gotta train for the day if I ever go to arcade. D:
Soularion
Profile Blog Joined January 2014
Canada2764 Posts
March 24 2015 02:01 GMT
#6180
_index is basically a god, expecting to wake up only to hear him getting an FC on Airman HR.
Writermaru pls
Prev 1 307 308 309 310 311 370 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
RotterdaM402
IndyStarCraft 49
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 402
Lowko192
IndyStarCraft 49
MindelVK 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 3652
Stork 2513
Horang2 412
Jaedong 385
Soulkey 380
Zeus 369
Larva 265
Mini 244
Soma 220
BeSt 155
[ Show more ]
sorry 81
Mind 72
ZerO 65
Hyun 57
Pusan 56
Sexy 53
Last 42
Shinee 32
soO 32
scan(afreeca) 26
ajuk12(nOOB) 19
Sacsri 10
zelot 9
Dota 2
XcaliburYe311
canceldota52
League of Legends
JimRising 442
Other Games
gofns37259
singsing1965
Coldzera 692
Happy329
byalli232
Pyrionflax210
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV215
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 28
• StrangeGG 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV284
• lizZardDota2242
League of Legends
• Jankos3463
Upcoming Events
Online Event
1h 43m
AI Arena Tournament
6h 43m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
8h 43m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 43m
Patches Events
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.